PDA

View Full Version : Did Channel 2 screw up about the Sox?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2004, 12:42 PM
We have a big fat thread based on a pair of comments made by Mary Ann Childers and anchor hottie Diann Burns during yesterday's Channel 2 newscasts.

Has anybody seen *in writing* independent confirmation that the White Sox have already refused to allow the Cubs to schedule games at the Cell?

I would feel a lot better about the credibility of their report if it wasn't mixed in with a bunch of the usual chit chat and happy talk.

Can anyone confirm with a link?

Anyone?

Bueller?

:cool:

FARMEO
07-23-2004, 12:52 PM
I read about it somewhere yesterday, but I can't remember which paper printed the article. I read three papers yesterday. The Sox stated that scheduling would prohibit the Cubs from playing at the Cell.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2004, 12:53 PM
I read about it somewhere yesterday, but I can't remember which paper printed the article. I read three papers yesterday. The Sox stated that scheduling would prohibit the Cubs from playing at the Cell.Do you remember which three you read? Could you share the names of these three publications?
:?:

cheeses_h_rice
07-23-2004, 01:13 PM
I thought I saw a story or column on this listed in the Daily Southtown, but checking now I don't see anything.

Odd.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2004, 01:21 PM
I thought I saw a story or column on this listed in the Daily Southtown, but checking now I don't see anything.

Odd.
Thanks for checking. We need to track down another source on this.

This angle to the story is huge, and I find it very hard to believe nobody else in the media saw fit to report it if it were actually true the Sox had already told the Cubs, "No."

Anybody find anything?

:?:

FARMEO
07-23-2004, 02:19 PM
I found the article. The following was written by Mark Konkol and was printed in The Daily Southtown yesterday.

"Sox spokesman Scott Riefert said scheduling would probably prevent the Cubs from playing at U.S. Cellular Field."

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsnews/221nd3.htm

PorkChopExpress
07-23-2004, 02:22 PM
I found the article. The following was written by Mark Konkol and was printed in The Daily Southtown yesterday.

"Sox spokesman Scott Riefert said scheduling would probably prevent the Cubs from playing at U.S. Cellular Field."

Probably?

Kogs35
07-23-2004, 02:31 PM
Probably?
in august there is a conflict with the cubs both have nights game and a day game scheduled when the padres while the roayls are playing the sox on the south side.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2004, 02:40 PM
in august there is a conflict with the cubs both have nights game and a day game scheduled when the padres while the roayls are playing the sox on the south side.
Move the series to San Diego. Problem solved.

Next!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2004, 02:50 PM

Thanks, Farmeo. You've confirmed what I suspected. Reifert was contacted and made a statement on behalf of the organization. He may or may not be overmatched for his position, but he certainly isn't dumb enough not to qualify what he was saying to the media Wednesday when this story first broke.

It's now Friday. I'm sure the Sox and Cubs have talked privately over the phone by now. What happens in private is what will determine what we (and the media) find out publicly.

1.) If the Sox say the Cubs are invited, that means the Cubs are coming because they've already signaled their willingness to do so on whatever terms have been pre-arranged.

or

2.) If the Sox say the Cubs aren't invited (for whatever excuse they choose to tell us), that means the Sox and Cubs couldn't reach an accord. We can speculate endlessly why this would be so, but don't ever expect to know the truth with any certainty. There are too many people with too many agendas for hiding the real reasons on this one.

Meanwhile, we can't be sure. At least Reifert doesn't sound too sure. Channel 2 is looking less credible all the time.

soxtalker
07-23-2004, 02:51 PM
That "probably" makes all the difference in the world; it isn't a "no" by any means. It just means that there is a conflict. Of course, this wouldn't be easy for either side (actually many parties would be involved).

jabrch
07-23-2004, 02:53 PM

Next!

Play a early day game - then a night game - DONE

Kogs35
07-23-2004, 03:04 PM

Next!
those padres would sure love a 16 game home stand if that happened

Blob
07-23-2004, 03:59 PM

Next!How about Montreal!?!?!?! They have to be dying for some REAAAAL baseball up there.