PDA

View Full Version : Rogers Article: Sox Cubs Trading Places

kjhanson
07-23-2004, 10:21 AM
"Forget that it says Sox on the front of the white jerseys, not Cubs. Embrace the South Siders, no matter your civic allegiance."

"So here's the idea: For the rest of the 2004 season, why don't Chicago fans agree to put the White Sox on a pedestal and treat the Cubs with the scorn normally reserved for the upper deck at the Cell?"

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040722rogers,1,2203175.column?coll=cs-home-utility

PorkChopExpress
07-23-2004, 10:30 AM
The tides are shifting...

SoxxoS
07-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Phil-Don't be a stranger. I know you are probably :lurkers , but you haven't posted in a while...

gosox41
07-23-2004, 11:31 AM
"Forget that it says Sox on the front of the white jerseys, not Cubs. Embrace the South Siders, no matter your civic allegiance."

"So here's the idea: For the rest of the 2004 season, why don't Chicago fans agree to put the White Sox on a pedestal and treat the Cubs with the scorn normally reserved for the upper deck at the Cell?"

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040722rogers,1,2203175.column?coll=cs-home-utility
Phil's right, there's no reason the SOx can't average 35K a game. It's going to be a beautiful weekend with no rain the forecast. Sat. is a fireworks night. Mon. and TUes are 1/2 price nights against the Twins. And Wednesday is a day game against hte Twins. THat will probably be the lowest attended game.

Remember more fans= more payroll.

Bob

Baby Fisk
07-23-2004, 12:04 PM
If this wishy-washy windsocking is indicative of the overall attitude of the Chicago media towards both teams, no wonder people like Hangar are always going into spasmic fits everytime they open up a newspaper.

OR -- is this more indicative of the cannibalistic attitude that the media takes towards the Cubbies around the time of their annual swoon? There's like no one left propping them up, amid print columnists anyway it seems. What a stunning abandonment of the Cubbie World Series Fantasy Land these people created for themselves and the drooling masses over the past 10 months.

kjhanson
07-23-2004, 12:09 PM
If this wishy-washy windsocking is indicative of the overall attitude of the Chicago media towards both teams, no wonder people like Hangar are always going into spasmic fits everytime they open up a newspaper.

I think Phil Rogers has always been the best Chicago sports columnist regarding fair and equal coverage of the White Sox and Cubs. Every story you see on espn.com regarding the White Sox is written by him. Instead of picking sides, he usually writes fact-based reports, which keeps him out of the middle. Nonetheless, this was a fine piece and he stuck it to the Cubs pretty good.

Baby Fisk
07-23-2004, 12:13 PM
Nonetheless, this was a fine piece and he stuck it to the Cubs pretty good.I agree it was a nice piece. I was just wondering where these types of articles are buried for the first 4 months of the season (ie, prior to the Cubbie Swoon). My point is, why does it take a Cubbie collapse for columnists to start pumping up the Sox? :angry:

PorkChopExpress
07-23-2004, 12:23 PM
I agree it was a nice piece. I was just wondering where these types of articles are buried for the first 4 months of the season (ie, prior to the Cubbie Swoon). My point is, why does it take a Cubbie collapse for columnists to start pumping up the Sox? :angry:
Who cares? The Sox are getting coverage now. Enjoy it.

kjhanson
07-23-2004, 01:20 PM
I agree it was a nice piece. I was just wondering where these types of articles are buried for the first 4 months of the season (ie, prior to the Cubbie Swoon). My point is, why does it take a Cubbie collapse for columnists to start pumping up the Sox? :angry:
I agree with that statement 100%. I have seen this stuff come and go in recent years and even weeks when the Sox have been playing well. I just hope it lasts and is followed up on like all other Cubs stories.

SSN721
07-23-2004, 01:43 PM
I will personally just enjoy the pub while our team is getting it, it wont last until they win it all this year.

the_valenstache
07-23-2004, 01:48 PM
[BEGIN=Rant]

Screw Cubs fans. I'm all for attendance being up, but there's no way in hell I'm calling any sort of truce to let these fairweather idiots into our ballpark to root for our team. Is this really what we wanted? More media attention so we can convert ailing Cubs fans to wear black and white for 3 months and move the drunken frat party into ex-Comiskey? Isn't this the greatest crime against the much-celebrated "Sox Pride" slogan I see trumpeted around this website? In October, I want them to be wallowing in their 5mil. Highland Park mansions, spilling their bitter tears and brandy on Ikea furniture while their wives overdose on Trimspa. I want Cubs fans to reminisce on the times where they actually, really thought it was going to happen this year, back when things were so fun and hopeful, back before Skeeter and the other Theta Betas got that DUI, back when Dusty Baker was being built into a million statues in their minds, back before Wrigley's very walls came crashing down on the Cubby Bear. Call me a selfish toddler who won't share his team or a Sox-addict who's finally blown a gasket with all this Cubsympathy crap because they aren't the "Best Ever Baseball Team to Ever Come From Chicago Ever" and are once again, just the same lousy Cubs. I want every damned foot jammed deeply in the throats of Cubs fans nationwide from all of last year's talk about "Where are the Sox in October? At home? Oh, that sucks." I want to laugh at the idiots who come up to me, when we're in the playoffs and they are not, who say "We totally swept you guys at Wrigley, dude." Truce my ass.

[END=Rant]

bigfoot
07-23-2004, 02:03 PM

Well, you don't have hit those Cubs over the head with brick to get them to follow the leader. Oh......, you do? Nevermind.

Uncle_Patrick
07-23-2004, 02:15 PM
I don't think you need to worry about any real die-hard Cubs fans being converted by Rogers' article. Right now, those guys are talking about how Rogers is one of the worst reporters in the city, right next to Marriotti. Instead, you are gonna get the fair weather fans who go to Wrigley 'cause its hip. If the Sox make a serious run at the playoffs, those hipsters will latch on to the winning team. Believe me, I don't want those losers coming to the Cell, either. They are ones who will get all the good seats and probably end up with play off tickets while us real fans have to watch it on TV. Still, the upside is it brings money to the Sox organization.

The funny thing is that the die-hard Cubs fans don't like all those bandwagoning, hipster Wrigley fans and don't consider them "true fans", but at the same time, the thought of losing any portion of their fan base to the Sox, even the hipsters they don't consider true fans, royally pisses them off.

CubKilla
07-23-2004, 02:38 PM
My point is, why does it take a Cubbie collapse for columnists to start pumping up the Sox? :angry:
The Cubs are only 2 games out of the NL WildCard spot. They haven't totally collapsed yet. And I will be royally ticked if those underachieving losers make the playoffs as the NL WildCard..... especially if the White Sox win the AL Central because the media will be, once again, fawning all over the Cubs and reminding all of Chicago that the '97 and '03 Marlins were a WildCard team, the '02 Giants and Angels were WildCard teams, etc. The White Sox will be a playoff afterthought in this city.

Realist
07-23-2004, 02:38 PM
I hate bandwagon fans. They make the lines for the bathroom way too long and I then I end up doing the "Snoopy dance" while I pray the damn line would move faster.

Yorke97
07-23-2004, 07:05 PM
I think its just good that members of the media are no longer reffering to the "Cubs World Series", but instead are forced with the idea of a "possible Wild Card Cubs."

CanOfCorn
07-23-2004, 07:21 PM
I don't get why people call for unity between the fans. I've never bought into the "a win for the Cubs/Sox is a win for the city." Any way you slice it, a win for one team is bragging rights for a loooong time.

Can't we all just not get along?

Wanne
07-23-2004, 07:27 PM
Yeah...can't we all just get along?!?

http://www.isoc.net/cid/cbfans/megabbs2/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=409

ode to veeck
07-23-2004, 07:38 PM
Phil,

Nice article. 35,000 a night would be great, especially if we can get brooms all over the Twinkies next week. Thank god we're done in Oakland ... til the playoffs at least.