PDA

View Full Version : Green Seats Approved!!

BeerHandle
07-23-2004, 08:17 AM
I have heard from a very reliable source from within the Sox organization that the Green Seats have been approved and will be in US Cell for the 2005 season. Final approval came within the last two weeks.

DaveIsHere
07-23-2004, 08:19 AM
'doh, Great now all the fans will come in droves!!!

Max Power
07-23-2004, 08:20 AM
World Series, here we come!

That's cool though. Should look nice.

BeerHandle
07-23-2004, 08:21 AM
'doh, Great now all the fans will come in droves!!!
I do not know about droves, but attendance is up, the Sox hired a good Marketing VP and they are reaching out to the younger kids to build a long-term fan base! You have to start somewhere.

Baby Fisk
07-23-2004, 08:24 AM
World Series, here we come!

That's cool though. Should look nice.This is dark green. Comiskey green, if you will.

This is teal.

This is some kind of psychotic turquoise that you shouldn't use.

So will the, oops, so will the seats be replaced or painted? :?:

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-23-2004, 08:25 AM
Have you heard if the rumored home run porch will be at the cell in 2005? Back to the seats, I wonder if they'll be the dark green that are common at a lot of parks now, or if it'll be the old comiskey green. I guess we'll just have to sit back, relax, and see what they do to the park when they begin replacing seats after the sox win the world series this year. :smile:

DaveIsHere
07-23-2004, 08:27 AM
can someone link to the photoshops that were done and posted a while ago, yes I am too lazy to search

Iguana775
07-23-2004, 08:29 AM
This is dark green. Comiskey green, if you will.

This is teal.

Glad you said something cause i was going to.

That freaky green is really damn annoying. just hold the mouse over the color and it will tell you what color it is. use TEAL!!!! ugh!!! can we just get rid of it?

Baby Fisk
07-23-2004, 08:31 AM
can someone link to the photoshops that were done and posted a while ago, yes I am too lazy to searchLazy! Lazy! Here's a thread with some links within. :cool:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35993&page=2&pp=15&highlight=green+seats

Aidan
07-23-2004, 08:32 AM
Does anyone know when FUNdamentals will be completed? They say it will be done by the start of the 2005 season but I'm not so sure...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/cws_ballpark_cellularfield.jsp

Max Power
07-23-2004, 08:36 AM
This is dark green. Comiskey green, if you will.

This is teal.

Sorry. I changed it.

Since teal is no longer the "in" color I've forgotten what it looks like.

BeerHandle
07-23-2004, 08:39 AM
Have you heard if the rumored home run porch will be at the cell in 2005? Back to the seats, I wonder if they'll be the dark green that are common at a lot of parks now, or if it'll be the old comiskey green. I guess we'll just have to sit back, relax, and see what they do to the park when they begin replacing seats after the sox win the world series this year. :smile:
I did not receive any information about the home run porch. I wonder if what everyone thought was going to be the home run porch ended up being the mini baseball field for the kids.

LongLiveFisk
07-23-2004, 08:40 AM
Hopefully it's this shade of green (forest/dark green).

Me likey :D:

wdelaney72
07-23-2004, 08:40 AM
I read a thread previously where someone said it wasy time to replace the blue seats anyway.

While I agree, the green seats will look better, it has no bearing on attendance or the quality of the team. It's just not that big of a deal.

BeerHandle
07-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Does anyone know when FUNdamentals will be completed? They say it will be done by the start of the 2005 season but I'm not so sure...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/cws_ballpark_cellularfield.jsp
It will be ready for 2005.

BeerHandle
07-23-2004, 08:42 AM
I read a thread previously where someone said it wasy time to replace the blue seats anyway.

While I agree, the green seats will look better, it has no bearing on attendance or the quality of the team. It's just not that big of a deal.
I guess the Sox had focus groups and a survey and this was one of the main things the fans wanted changed.

cheeses_h_rice
07-23-2004, 08:44 AM
:giangreco

*light sobbing*

Aidan
07-23-2004, 08:46 AM

While I agree, the green seats will look better, it has no bearing on attendance or the quality of the team. It's just not that big of a deal.Probably not, but the forest green seats definately look better. They make the stadium look more like an "old-fashioned" ball-park.

http://img29.exs.cx/img29/2330/USCFgreen.jpg

BeerHandle
07-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Probably not, but the forest green seats definately look better. They make the stadium look more like an "old-fashioned" ball-park.

http://img29.exs.cx/img29/2330/USCFgreen.jpg
Looks good.

Huisj
07-23-2004, 09:23 AM
I think the next stage after green seats is to install some loose concrete chunks to the bottom of the upper deck. It will help add to that old world charm.

DaveIsHere
07-23-2004, 09:26 AM
can we get a comparison, before and after, not too be a pain

Jerko
07-23-2004, 09:30 AM
I am so sick of the green seat crap that IF/when it finally happens, I'm going to paint my seat blue again. Hey, by the time security sees me I can probably have whole row done.

MisterB
07-23-2004, 09:37 AM
can we get a comparison, before and after, not too be a painThe original photo is here. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/4images/details.php?image_id=452) (Can't link the photo directly)

DaveIsHere
07-23-2004, 09:39 AM
I like Blue better:D:

Huisj
07-23-2004, 09:43 AM
The original photo is here. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/4images/details.php?image_id=452) (Can't link the photo directly)
call me crazy, but i like the blue. the green makes the place look kind of drab. I think with the dark metal work in the upper deck and dark gray paint that has gone up in other places, the blue makes a much better contrast than the green. Dark green and dark grey just makes the place look a little too dark. IF there was some tan somewhere to contrast with the green, it might look better, but then it would also look like every other park.

keep the blue

Jerko
07-23-2004, 09:46 AM
The whole green craze is beyond me. Jacob's Field, which is supposed to be so great, LOOKS OLD with those green seats, at least on TV it does. I won't even mention another place that has green seats...... Like I said before, until my ass grows eyes I don't really care what color the seats are.

MarqSox
07-23-2004, 10:03 AM
I do not know about droves, but attendance is up, the Sox hired a good Marketing VP and they are reaching out to the younger kids to build a long-term fan base! You have to start somewhere.Yes, I can just see it now ...

"Daddy, Daddy, can we go to the White Sox game tonight?! They've got pretty green seats to sit in! Yay!"

Who cares if the seats are freakin banana yellow, as long as they're comfortable.

BeerHandle
07-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Yes, I can just see it now ...

"Daddy, Daddy, can we go to the White Sox game tonight?! They've got pretty green seats to sit in! Yay!"

Who cares if the seats are freakin banana yellow, as long as they're comfortable.
I could care less what color the seats are or will be. I was merely passing on information that I received from within the Sox organization.

To respond to the rest of your email: The green seats have nothing to do with marketing to young fans. This is being done with the mini-field (new fundamental area). The green seats are being installed because there was a backlash from the older fans that went to Comiskey.

patbooyah
07-23-2004, 10:26 AM
Yes, I can just see it now ...

and thats my question- are they going to make the seats smaller? bigger?

Blob
07-23-2004, 10:30 AM
They'll probably use a darker green color for the new seats. The Old Comiskey seats were a bright green. If you look at the Section signs at the Cell, it will probably be more along the lines of that color.

Randar68
07-23-2004, 10:33 AM

The seats will be what, 12 or 13 years old by the end of the season. They'll be replaced, and that was the head of ISFA that said that about them needing to be replaced in the not-too-distant-future.

joeynach
07-23-2004, 10:49 AM
The seats will be what, 12 or 13 years old by the end of the season. They'll be replaced, and that was the head of ISFA that said that about them needing to be replaced in the not-too-distant-future.
Im gonna break this down for just once. The park opened in 1991 and after this year that will be the 2004 season. 2004-1991 is 14 seaons played, which is right at the lifespan of the seats anyway. Maybe now we can bring in better seats that are more comfortable.

sendimjoey
07-23-2004, 11:31 AM
I vote for the old Comiskey bright green. It keeps the part from getting too dark. More importantly, it's distinctive. While we'll all be filling in most of those seats, any baseball fans who catch a glimpse of the stray empty seat or two will know what park they're looking at. I think the forest green would be better than the blue seats.

As to whether this matters, I agree that no one would say, "Well, the seats are green again, now I can go to the Cell." But making the park look good is about the subconscious at least as much as the conscious. Every televised home game is an advertisement for the park. The better it looks, the more the viewer thinks, I want to go there. It's why I think the Sox should get rid of that gate directly behind home plate and install seats. It makes for a terrible TV backdrop. We can make fun of Wrigley all we want, but those new seats behind the plate are great TV advertising. Every time something good happens at the plate, the fans jumping up in unison looks really good. Again, the viewer thinks, consciously or subconsciously, this is a place I want to go. That's all that really matters.

TornLabrum
07-23-2004, 11:47 AM
I suggest the Sox do what Bill Veeck did in the '70s. Have seats of all kinds of different colors for no reason.

SpringfldFan
07-23-2004, 12:27 PM
Instead of picking a simple color, they ought to just paint each seat with a picture of a human head and shoulders. Then even when the Sox aren't winning, at least it will *look* like the stands are packed.:D:

RKMeibalane
07-23-2004, 12:28 PM
I really don't care what color the seats are. If the Sox win a WS, those seats will be full next season, so we won't be able to see them unless we're actually at a game.

FarWestChicago
07-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Sorry. I changed it.

Since teal is no longer the "in" color I've forgotten what it looks like.No, Teal is still the official color of sarcasm. Some people just have problems going 5 over and 2 down. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

hawkjt
07-23-2004, 12:36 PM
Joey: completely agree with your post. aesthetics are important. I love the new look this year even tho I did not mind the old look. Blue is ok but I think since they are due to be replaced anyway I think green will look better even if empty. Anyone ever see those Miami Heat bright banana yellow seats around thier court? Every empty seat was jumping out at the viewer. Course there were plenty of those altho that will change with Diesel in town. Also agree on the background deal at home plate. Find a way to get fans back there. They would be primo seats that would fetch a good price and as long as the fans know about the cellphone /waving etiquette it will be a huge improvement over the current background.

SSN721
07-23-2004, 12:41 PM
I think it will be just a nice touch. I am very interested to see what the park will look like with the color changes. Green everywhere, very nice.

steff
07-23-2004, 12:43 PM
Oh goodie...!!

I know my butt sure will be happier now.. :rolleyes:

HomeFish
07-23-2004, 12:58 PM
I'll miss the blue seats. I'll admit, I loved them; I never understood the complaints about them or the obsession some people here have with green seats.

As Wills would say, they have green seats at the shrine. Why would we want to copy anything that goes on up there?

GregoryEtc
07-23-2004, 12:58 PM
Instead of picking a simple color, they ought to just paint each seat with a picture of a human head and shoulders. Then even when the Sox aren't winning, at least it will *look* like the stands are packed.:D:
Brilliant!

bigfoot
07-23-2004, 12:59 PM
Color of the seats? What about the important things? Like a holder for the churros!!:supernana:

BainesHOF
07-23-2004, 01:41 PM
The fundamentals area being placed above left field will be atrocious. Mark my words. I can't believe this is actually going to happen after they finally got the look of the ballpark right.

Max Power
07-23-2004, 01:58 PM
The fundamentals area being placed above left field will be atrocious. Mark my words. I can't believe this is actually going to happen after they finally got the look of the ballpark right.
Totally agree. I love how open the outfield concourse is. The Fundamentals field will clutter it up and it couldn't look more out of place. I really hope they rethink that idea.

As for the seats, how about dark green on the lower deck and navy blue on the upper deck (club level could go either way)? Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds.

sendimjoey
07-23-2004, 02:12 PM
I'll miss the blue seats. I'll admit, I loved them; I never understood the complaints about them or the obsession some people here have with green seats.

As Wills would say, they have green seats at the shrine. Why would we want to copy anything that goes on up there?HomeFish, that's cool that you liked the blue seats. Nice to see someone stand up for them, even though I don't like them. But with all due respect to you and Wills, green seats are a tradition of baseball, not something specific to Wrigley like throwing visitors' home run balls back. Not to mention that the real Comiskey Park had them, at least for the years that I went there (1978-1990). I think you could make a better argument for getting rid of the ivy on the base of the Fan Deck, although, again, ivy isn't unique to Wrigley (Forbes Field in Pittsburgh had ivy and doesn't the outside of Fenway Park have some?). They have yellow foul poles at Wrigley, too, so I guess we should paint ours teal. :cool:

Blob
07-23-2004, 02:55 PM
HomeFish, that's cool that you liked the blue seats. Nice to see someone stand up for them, even though I don't like them. But with all due respect to you and Wills, green seats are a tradition of baseball, not something specific to Wrigley like throwing visitors' home run balls back. Not to mention that the real Comiskey Park had them, at least for the years that I went there (1978-1990). I think you could make a better argument for getting rid of the ivy on the base of the Fan Deck, although, again, ivy isn't unique to Wrigley (Forbes Field in Pittsburgh had ivy and doesn't the outside of Fenway Park have some?). They have yellow foul poles at Wrigley, too, so I guess we should paint ours teal. :cool:
Some is going to tell you, that's not teal...but not me!! :whistle:

Huisj
07-23-2004, 03:30 PM
HomeFish, that's cool that you liked the blue seats. Nice to see someone stand up for them, even though I don't like them. But with all due respect to you and Wills, green seats are a tradition of baseball, not something specific to Wrigley like throwing visitors' home run balls back. Not to mention that the real Comiskey Park had them, at least for the years that I went there (1978-1990). I think you could make a better argument for getting rid of the ivy on the base of the Fan Deck, although, again, ivy isn't unique to Wrigley (Forbes Field in Pittsburgh had ivy and doesn't the outside of Fenway Park have some?). They have yellow foul poles at Wrigley, too, so I guess we should paint ours teal. :cool:
I wonder if there's anywhere one can get ahold of information about what old stadiums primarily had green seats throughout their existence. I started looking around at pictures on ballparks.com and found very few old stadiums that appeared to have green seats, but i really didn't have time to look much at all because i'm at work and have some stuff to do. Anyone have a rough idea?

sendimjoey
07-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Some is going to tell you, that's not teal...but not me!! :whistle:
I only have eyes for green, I guess. :redface:

Deadguy
07-23-2004, 05:01 PM
I have heard from a very reliable source from within the Sox organization that the Green Seats have been approved and will be in US Cell for the 2005 season. Final approval came within the last two weeks.
That's terrific!! Green seats offer an aesthetically pleasing touch to the park. I for one have been hoping for this for over 10 years.

nitetrain8601
07-23-2004, 05:50 PM
I like the blue better. The light green looks ugly, the forest green makes the park look old and dark. I think if anything, get dark blue seats. The green seats are played out and just don't look right in our ballpark.

zach074
07-23-2004, 10:28 PM
NO YOUR ALL WRONG! The seats should be white! Just think how weird that would look!:D: