PDA

View Full Version : Twins possible deadline news

OurBitchinMinny
07-22-2004, 11:52 PM
From what I am hearing and reading living in the twin cities metro area the twins are making a run at benson from pittsburgh. I would hate to see this go through because benson is a quality pitcher. They apparently also have a deal on the table for dan wilson in seattle. They have apparently offered mike restovich who was one of their hot prospects but has borcharditis and is no longer on the fast track. They have 3 players (prospects) they will not trade. relief pitcher jesse crain, who will be called up likely in august. RHP Scott Baker and also Justin Morneau who was just recently recalled. The twins are gonna give it one last shot because they are planning to slash payroll next year. Hopefully Pitt keeps its asking price high or else we get benson.

doublem23
07-22-2004, 11:54 PM
Benson? Bah.

OurBitchinMinny
07-22-2004, 11:57 PM
Hes pitching pretty damn good right now. Id rather they keep lohse and mullholland in their rotation. it would give them a top 3 of santana, benson, and radke. Not too bad

samram
07-23-2004, 12:05 AM
It sounds like Pittsburgh wants at least one major league ready player, if not someone who is playing everyday, for Benson. Who would the Twins give up? Would they give up Morneau, or even Lew Ford?

oeo
07-23-2004, 12:10 AM
I don't really see the Benson trade going through.

Randar68
07-23-2004, 12:46 AM
From what I am hearing and reading living in the twin cities metro area the twins are making a run at benson from pittsburgh. I would hate to see this go through because benson is a quality pitcher. They apparently also have a deal on the table for dan wilson in seattle. They have apparently offered mike restovich who was one of their hot prospects but has borcharditis and is no longer on the fast track. They have 3 players (prospects) they will not trade. relief pitcher jesse crain, who will be called up likely in august. RHP Scott Baker and also Justin Morneau who was just recently recalled. The twins are gonna give it one last shot because they are planning to slash payroll next year. Hopefully Pitt keeps its asking price high or else we get benson.
Living in Chicago, I've got the inside track on the RJ/nomar/cubs trade, the RJ Sox trade, the kendall/sox trade, the kendall/Benson/Sox/Cubs/Anna Benson 4-way, the John Olerud Cubs trade, the Sox/Astros trade for Beltran for a PTBNL...

Basically:
:whocares

OurBitchinMinny
07-23-2004, 01:33 AM
So the twins making a deadline deal will have no impact on the sox? Ok whatever you say. Those stupid ass trades you mentioned have no chance in hell of happening. Dan Wilson and Kris Benson will be twins by July 31.

OurBitchinMinny
07-23-2004, 01:34 AM
It sounds like Pittsburgh wants at least one major league ready player, if not someone who is playing everyday, for Benson. Who would the Twins give up? Would they give up Morneau, or even Lew Ford?
I think theyd be more inclined to give up cuddyer if push comes to shove.

34 Inch Stick
07-23-2004, 08:52 AM
There is enough of a market for Benson that they will have to pay with a MLB ready player. I thought they said they wanted a fielder. If I was a team and could get Lew Ford I would do it in a heartbeat. I really like that guy.

ma-gaga
07-23-2004, 09:07 AM
There is enough of a market for Benson that they will have to pay with a MLB ready player. I thought they said they wanted a fielder. If I was a team and could get Lew Ford I would do it in a heartbeat. I really like that guy.The local baseball 'insider' (Souhan) is throwing out Michael Restovich as the potential trade bait. He's major league ready, but it's hard to say if he'll be a star. He'll strikeout 120 times and belt 25 homers if given a chance. He's amazingly fast for a big guy. I'd be surprised if they trade Lew/Cuddyer/Morneau. I just don't think that a half season of Benson is worth that much.

Restovich was 'supposed' to be the next left fielder for the Twins once J.Jones leaves, but they traded for Shannon Stewart, resigned SS, and that plan got sidetracked. Restovich needs to be traded to a team with a spot. If it goes down that way it's a good deal for the Twins (trading from strength to weakness). They'll probably have to throw in a minor league pitcher like Boof Bosner or similar to make the deal happen.

T.Mullholland has pitched fine for a 5th/emergency starter, but I don't want to see him get 10 more starts this year. He's going to get killed one of these times. Silva's a little erratic, and Lohse has stunk. The Twins need pitching, they are holding their staff together with a ton of luck and gum.

joeynach
07-23-2004, 10:52 AM
I think theyd be more inclined to give up cuddyer if push comes to shove.
If the twins are trying to slash payroll why would they go after benson. He makes a pretty good penny, something like 6 mil per year and is under contract next year i beleive. The twins are cheaper than us and JR with there we dont have the money cuz the fans dont come crap.

SoxxoS
07-23-2004, 10:56 AM
Benson isn't going to win or lose the division for them.

Tekijawa
07-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Benson isn't going to win or lose the division for them.
He'll lose it! from another post of mine.

Benson has a 4+ Era in the NL

Has a Career 8.44 ERA agains the sox in 1 game
Has a Career 9.95 ERA Against Boston in 1 game
a Career 10.29 Era against the tribe in 3 games
1.35 against the tigers in 1 game
5.03 against KC in 3 games
1.13 against the Angels in 1 game
7.84 against Oakland in 2 games
has never faced Texas, Yankees, or Baltimore...

Also has a 6.55 career era in domes in 10 games

I say we cheer them on in their quest for the great Kris Benson!

Blob
07-23-2004, 11:41 AM
They have apparently offered mike restovich who was one of their hot prospects but has borcharditis and is no longer on the fast track.
Borcharditis, sounds serious. Won't be long now...

Dadawg_77
07-23-2004, 11:43 AM
If the Twins trade Morneau for Benson I will love it and I think thats what it will take to get Benson.

Randar68
07-23-2004, 11:44 AM
Dan Wilson and Kris Benson will be twins by July 31.
*****! I'll take that bet.

3Pete
07-23-2004, 11:46 AM
If the Twins trade Morneau for Benson I will love it and I think thats what it will take to get Benson.
If that's what it takes to get Benson, the Twins will not be getting him. There's no way they give up Morneau. He's up there to stay, and will probably hit cleanup the rest of the year.

TDog
07-23-2004, 12:00 PM
People don't talk about it, but the Twinks have had a serious fifth-starter problem this year. Benson isn't Garcia, but maybe he isn't Ritchie either. Adding another legitimate, if inconsistent, starter to the rotation would be an upgrade.

The Twinks have other problems, though. Santana has lost a couple of games recently when he has been lights out. Really, as badly as the Twinks have played at times this year and as badly as the Sox have played at times this year, it is amazing that both are not only on top but within a half game of the current league wild card leader.

DSpivack
07-23-2004, 07:51 PM
I thought Bavasi said he wasn't going to trade Dan Wilson, Edgar Martinez, or Ichiro because they were "integrous to the Mariner organization", or something like that.

StepsInSC
07-23-2004, 08:32 PM
Living in Chicago, I've got the inside track on the RJ/nomar/cubs trade, the RJ Sox trade, the kendall/sox trade, the kendall/Benson/Sox/Cubs/Anna Benson 4-way, the John Olerud Cubs trade, the Sox/Astros trade for Beltran for a PTBNL...

Basically:
:whocares
I really don't understand the point of this post. I, for one, care about the Twins. Even if it is small beans compared to the rumors that will never happen.

soltrain21
07-23-2004, 09:55 PM
I really don't understand the point of this post. I, for one, care about the Twins. Even if it is small beans compared to the rumors that will never happen.

I think he just means all the RUMOURS that are going around. Randar cares aboot the Twins though, thats for sure.

StepsInSC
07-23-2004, 10:02 PM
I think he just means all the RUMOURS that are going around. Randar cares aboot the Twins though, thats for sure.
I gotcha, I've been spoiled by teal I guess.