PDA

View Full Version : Morrissey: Wrigley not cute, cuddly

doublem23
07-22-2004, 10:35 PM
Rick Morrissey: Wrigley isn't cute, cuddly (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040722morrissey,1,2863257.column?coll=cs-home-utility)... Chicagosports.com password needed.

cheeses_h_rice
07-22-2004, 11:27 PM
This is a pretty great column, especially coming from the Cubune.

Nail on the ****ing head great, at times.

Some choice quotes:

Wrigley Field is a dump. It's a dump with great views, lots of liquid refreshment and sporadic professional baseball, but it's still a dump.

It was a dump before chunks of concrete started falling from stadium tiers. It will be a dump until the last piece falls and a new ballpark goes up in its place or—say it ain't so—somewhere else.

Somehow, some way Wrigley went from being a corroded ballpark to a national shrine.

<snip>

Some Cub fans took umbrage a few weeks ago when White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen called Wrigley cramped and uncomfortable for the people who work there.

Guillen will say anything, but it's not wise to dismiss what he says simply because he's a living, breathing stream of consciousness. What he said about Wrigley was correct. Sometimes it looks more like a slop sink than a ballpark.

The world view of Cub fans is that anything having to do with their team is cute and cuddly. If you consider rust cute and cuddly, then Wrigley is cute and cuddly.

StillMissOzzie
07-23-2004, 02:52 AM
IIRC, chunks of concrete falling from Old Comiskey was the last straw when Eddie and Jerry first came out and said, "We need a new ballpark" Maybe Wrigley was better maintained than Old Comiskey, but someday that place is gonna need more than bandaids and another coat of paint. THEN what will the sCrUB fans do when they won't have their beer-party bandbox?

SMO
:gulp:

Sox Mobile
07-23-2004, 07:08 AM
WOW, THis must be what White Sox Heaven is like!

First, the Cubs make total fools of themselves, and the media actually takes notice and calls them on it!

Now, Wrigley exposed and the media actually takes notice and calls them on it!

I'm pinching myself!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2004, 07:12 AM
I just about fell out of my chair when I read this quote...

"We've been assured that it's not some sort of structural problem," MacPhail said. "It's a problem of deteriorating concrete that is a [consequence] of the age of this building despite the amount of time and energy and money we devote to try to keep this place as good as we possibly can."
I can't ****ing believe it. Does MacPhail honestly think concrete *isn't* structural? Does he think they pour concrete around all the structural steel just for looks? Concrete as aesthetic flourish... the epitome of design excellence?

:roflmao:

Man, the fairytale never ends around Clark and Addison. I bet the bleating sheep that comprise their fanbase believe every word of it, too.

:lynch&mcfail
"Besides the lovely new falling concrete, you'll notice we've also added distinctive slippery pools of urine to floors inside and around the mens' rooms and newly enhanced rusted girders throughout the ballpark.

"Cubs fans, welcome! It has never been more beeeeau-tiful at Beautiful Wrigley Field!"

kjhanson
07-23-2004, 09:27 AM
"There have been two reports of concrete falling at Wrigley, one Friday and the other June 9. The latter incident became public only when a city official mentioned it Monday.

Um, didn't the Cubs consider it proper to disclose the incident to their fans?"

The most disgusting thing Mcphial says in the article is the following:

""Are we supposed to disclose any time a toilet backs up or we lose a washroom for a couple of innings? I mean, I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm really not. But is that what is required of us?""

He's comparing falling concrete to a washroom malfunction. I don't even know where he came up with that comparison.

BearSox
07-23-2004, 09:43 AM

First, the Cubs make total fools of themselves, and the media actually takes notice and calls them on it!

I'm pinching myself!
It definately seems like we've been in bizarro world lately. Either that or its a sign of the apocalypse! :o:

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2004, 09:44 AM
The most disgusting thing Mcphial says in the article is the following:

""Are we supposed to disclose any time a toilet backs up or we lose a washroom for a couple of innings? I mean, I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm really not. But is that what is required of us?""

He's comparing falling concrete to a washroom malfunction. I don't even know where he came up with that comparison.I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught that.

Hey Andy, when was the last time somebody nearly died because a toilet backed up? I'm not trying to be facetious, I'm really not.

The Cubune did a real white wash of the story at the bottom of page 1 today. It's without precedent, and I was shocked and embarrassed to be a Chicagoan reading it. Too much to write here, but I'll have plenty to say later.

cheeses_h_rice
07-23-2004, 09:55 AM
Phil Arvia from the Daily Southtown really takes the Cubs/une to task for the way they've handled this...

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/Acurrent/arvia.htm

Palehose13
07-23-2004, 11:46 AM

I'm pinching myself!
I agree. I saw a cub fan friend of mine last night at the bar (she really is a die-hard, not one of the wagoners). All I did was walk up, put my hand on her shoulder and say, "How you doing? (very concerned) We don't have to put you on suicide watch, do we?" She just looked defeated and shook her head, speechless. It was fun for me.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Phil Arvia from the Daily Southtown really takes the Cubs/une to task for the way they've handled this...

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/Acurrent/arvia.htm:thumbsup:
Thanks for the link, cheeses. This is the best work I've seen about how dissembling MacPhail has been.

It's beyond pathetic, practically suggesting the concrete chunk was planted. I'm expecting MacPhail will finally find a scapegoat for this entire episode as soon as he locates a Sox Fan holding a bottle of Round Up.
:)

"We know for fact our dream world is being destroyed by those nasty Sox Fans!"

RKMeibalane
07-23-2004, 12:19 PM
:thumbsup:
Thanks for the link, cheeses. This is the best work I've seen about how dissembling MacPhail has been.

It's beyond pathetic, practically suggesting the concrete chunk was planted. I'm expecting MacPhail will finally find a scapegoat for this entire episode as soon as he locates a Sox Fan holding a bottle of Round Up.
:)

"We know for fact our dream world is being destroyed by those nasty Sox Fans!"
This is great! The Cubs organization is slowly but surely crumbling to the ground. If Wrigley Field falls apart overnight, that is the end of the "Cubbie mystique."

Patience, Sox fans. Chicago will soon be ours again.

maurice
07-23-2004, 01:31 PM
The Morrissey article and the Trib's amping up of the coverage are just a very late response to the Snail Award manner in which they buried the danger posed by the Urinal all this time. They're retroactively giving themselves ammo to use when people call them on their claim that the Trib failrly reports stories which cast Trib. Corp. in a negative light. Nobody with at least half a brain cell will buy this argument, particularly since they continually link the Danger At The Urinal story to a completely unrelated City Hall story.

Daley is right. If a downtown facade crumbles, a building burns, or yuppies start flying off back porches, the Trib is the first in line bitching about City Hall's inaction, but if the city makes one peep about the chronic danger posed by the irreversible deterioration of the precious national landmark known as the Friendly Confines, it's the end of the freaking world.

How dare he force them to print this cover story on something other than the third page of the Metro section!

bigfoot
07-23-2004, 02:37 PM
The Morrissey article and the Trib's amping up of the coverage are just a very late response to the Snail Award manner in which they buried the danger posed by the Urinal all this time. They're retroactively giving themselves ammo to use when people call them on their claim that the Trib failrly reports stories which cast Trib. Corp. in a negative light. Nobody with at least half a brain cell will buy this argument, particularly since they continually link the Danger At The Urinal story to a completely unrelated City Hall story.

Daley is right. If a downtown facade crumbles, a building burns, or yuppies start flying off back porches, the Trib is the first in line bitching about City Hall's inaction, but if the city makes one peep about the chronic danger posed by the irreversible deterioration of the precious national landmark known as the Friendly Confines, it's the end of the freaking world.

How dare he force them to print this cover story on something other than the third page of the Metro section!
As we know, there are known knowns,
As we know, there are known unknowns,
As we know, there are unknown knowns,
As we know, there are unknown unknowns,
As we know, there are no known knowns,
As we know, there are no known unknowns,
As we know, there are no unknown knowns,
As we know, there are no unknown unknowns,
As we do not know, there are known knowns,
Is that clear to all?!
Andy McPhail

HomeFish
07-23-2004, 03:28 PM
You know, Wrigley Field being forcibly closed due to safety concerns may actually end up making Cub fans more annoying.

The supposed "curse" on the Cubs states that no World Series game will ever again be played in Wrigley Field. Now, if the Cubs are no longer playing in Wrigley...

The moment somebody in the media remembers that, we're going to be subjected to the same sort of World Series coronation we were at the begining of the season.

thecell
07-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Rick Morrissey: Wrigley isn't cute, cuddly (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040722morrissey,1,2863257.column?coll=cs-home-utility)... Chicagosports.com password needed.I sent Rick an email. His response was pretty funny...

Rick,

Great article today. It's about time someone has the stones to tell the truth about that dump. The myth that is Wrigley Field and Cubs baseball is now being exposed for the fraud that it is. Anyway, good luck finding a new job...haha.

Take care,
Ken The reponse...

Ken:

Know of any openings? haha.

Rick

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2004, 03:36 PM
I sent Rick an email. His response was pretty funny...

The reponse...
Tell him he can write for WSI. I'll even pay him double the going rate we pay the rest of our columnists.
:wink:

If he wants at quick exit out of Cubune Tower, writing one single thing for WSI ought to do the trick.

:bandance:

jackbrohamer
07-23-2004, 04:41 PM

Yup, and any time there's a structural problem with a downtown building Daley goes absolutely nuts and makes the owners immediately do whatever they have to to protect the public, no matter the cost.

So the Cubune's suggestions that Daley is making it a big deal as retaliation for other Cubune stories --- or because he's a Sox fan --- is utter BS. He's reacted exactly the way he always does.

Kogs35
07-23-2004, 05:47 PM
ok heres what i think will happen if the cubs results come clean.

the mayor send his own people over there finds damage and more falling concrete. tell the cubs u got a 24 hours to fix or im shutting u down. they dont fix it and the mayor shuts them down.

the sox say no to using the cell because of rodger bossard. im really serious about this. he hates all these things they do in the outfield on off days.

the cubs contact the brewers about using miller park but because of scheduleing problems with teams traveling to diff cities because of booking hotels 2 weeks in advance

same with st. louis

where could that lead them to play?

SOXPHILE
07-23-2004, 10:26 PM
I'm surprised the Trib let this story get by the editors. OOPS ! I wonder if sometime in the next several days, we'll see, in italics on the front page where Morrisey's column is: Rick Morrisey is taking some time off.