PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Chances?

soxwon
07-22-2004, 10:35 PM
i know we shouldnt worry about the Cubs.
I do worry!!!
In your expert opinions do the Cubs have a chance to make the playoffs?
they seem to be getting their hitting together.
The division title is remote, but a wild card?
im sure they will get closer about 7 or 8 out.
What do you think?

a chance
or None at all?

Viva Magglio
07-22-2004, 10:38 PM
Don't worry about them.

Cubbiesuck13
07-22-2004, 10:40 PM
wild card will go to someone from the east in both divisions so i say no chance...but then again i have said that since spring training and continue to say that EVEN after their BIG trade for that intangable player to be named later

StrTrkker
07-22-2004, 10:41 PM
i know we shouldnt worry about the Cubs.
I do worry!!!
In your expert opinions do the Cubs have a chance to make the playoffs?
they seem to be getting their hitting together.
The division title is remote, but a wild card?
im sure they will get closer about 7 or 8 out.
What do you think?

a chance
or None at all?Never worry about something you have no control over...

And yea....No chance at all.

SOXSINCE'70
07-23-2004, 08:32 AM
They won't win the division.If there is a baseball God,they have no shot at the WC either!!!CUBS SUCK!!!!! :bandance: :bandance:

34 Inch Stick
07-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Who cares! Since you asked, I think they have an excellent shot at the wild card. That great pitching will shine down the stretch. Now Maddux is making his late season push as well. They will be a very difficult team to beat in the playoffs.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2004, 09:34 AM
They're more likely to finish under .500 than winning the wild card.

:smokin:

vegyrex
07-23-2004, 10:13 AM
Until they are officially eliminated they always have a chance.

But I just don't see them winning the division.

The wild card is their best chance, but I don't see that either.

ChiSox1906
07-23-2004, 11:08 PM

:smokin:uhh No

SoxFan76
07-23-2004, 11:15 PM
I think it does matter if the Cubs make the playoffs. I have a feeling, especially now, if the Cubs make some miraculous comeback and make the playoffs, the Sox will be buried as a franchise.

ChiSox1906
07-23-2004, 11:16 PM
Yea and people who say the Cubs will finish below 500 are full of crap, no way will that happen. There only two games back of the wild card.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2004, 11:34 PM
Yea and people who say the Cubs will finish below 500 are full of crap, no way will that happen. There only two games back of the wild card.You're the one full of crap making predictions about the Cubs winning the wild card IN JULY!

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2004, 11:35 PM
uhh NoUhh... typing English is a problem for you in addition to speaking it?

Uhh... there are three teams within 2 games of the Flubbies' record for winning the wild card. There are another four teams within another 2 games again. And let's not forget that any one of the 3 division leaders would be ahead of the Flubs for the wild card should one of the Flubbies' wild card championship challengers get white-hot and move into first-place in their division. Uhh... that's the whole point of the game, right?

Uhh... it's July and there is over 2 months of baseball left to be played, too.

Uhh... I don't think you've spent a whole lot of time thinking this through. The Flubbies are much further from successfully completing their wild card championship quest than simply folding up the tent and mailing it in the last 12 weeks of the season. Uhh...They aren't the most disciplined bunch in the world either.

RKMeibalane
07-23-2004, 11:57 PM
I have a bad feeling about this.

ChiSox1906
07-24-2004, 12:11 AM
My point is theres no way a team with that great of pitching staff is going to finish under 500. There only two games back of the wildcard. Last year they were 500 at the break and they managed to make the playoffs. They haven't been healthy all year, and now there hitting is finally coming along. I hope the finish below 500 but i just can't see it happening.

ChiSox1906
07-24-2004, 12:14 AM
Uhh... typing English is a problem for you in addition to speaking it?

Uhh... there are three teams within 2 games of the Flubbies' record for winning the wild card. There are another four teams within another 2 games again. And let's not forget that any one of the 3 division leaders would be ahead of the Flubs for the wild card should one of the Flubbies' wild card championship challengers get white-hot and move into first-place in their division. Uhh... that's the whole point of the game, right?

Uhh... it's July and there is over 2 months of baseball left to be played, too.

Uhh... I don't think you've spent a whole lot of time thinking this through. The Flubbies are much further from successfully completing their wild card championship quest than simply folding up the tent and mailing it in the last 12 weeks of the season. Uhh...They aren't the most disciplined bunch in the world either.

:smokin:I hope your right. But with our luck i just can't see it happening

PaleHoseGeorge
07-24-2004, 12:16 AM
My point is theres no way a team with that great of pitching staff is going to finish under 500. There only two games back of the wildcard. Last year they were 500 at the break and they managed to make the playoffs. They haven't been healthy all year, and now there hitting is finally coming along. I hope the finish below 500 but i just can't see it happening.
Okay. We'll just have to wait and see. I'm not worried one way or another.

:cool:

Yomarei
07-24-2004, 12:59 AM
We as Sox fans pride ourselves on baseball knowledge and (sometimes brutal) honesty. The "well, they are the Cubs, afterall - what else could they possibly do but fail!!" knee-jerk Cub-like explanations ain't gonna cut it, m'afraid.

There is absolutely no way SD or SF, let alone anybody from NLE or NLC are gonna beat the Cubs in the wild card race.

Well, there IS one way, actually. Injuries. If Prior, Sosa, Wood, Walker are shelved again, A-Ram's groin flares up, Hollansworth out for season...then Cubs will fold. Then again, you could say the same thing about just any other team that loses 3-4 of its key pieces.

But the health issue aside, Cubs are just too damn talented this year (Maddux as your #5? Walker and Hollansworth coming off the bench? Yep, that's gonna get it done).

They get Nomar and you might as well concede wild card. Hell, they might catch up with Cardinals still since it's only a matter of time before Carpenter, Suppan, Marquois, Woody and injured Morris come back to earth. It's a long shot, true.....but how many people thought Cards would be this good while Astros - this bad. Baseball is a funny game.

Aidan
07-24-2004, 01:22 AM

:smokin:Well, they may not win the N.L. Wild-Card but they definately aren't going to finish under .500.

doublem23
07-24-2004, 01:23 AM
It's that kind of baseball logic that says the Cardinals don't have the pitching to compete. :rolleyes:

They play the games for a reason. In case you haven't been paying attention, the Cubs have been tanking to much "worse" teams like Milwaukee and what not.

Maybe, just maybe, they're not as good as everyone wanted to believe they were.

They play the games on the field and not on paper for a reason. I've been watching the Cubs all year and they suck.

owensmouth
07-24-2004, 02:36 AM
One thing to remember about the Cardinals... even if their pitching goes in the tank, the Cubs will have to rely on other teams beating the birdies. The Cubs have already blown all their chances.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-24-2004, 08:34 AM
It's that kind of baseball logic that says the Cardinals don't have the pitching to compete. :rolleyes:

They play the games for a reason. In case you haven't been paying attention, the Cubs have been tanking to much "worse" teams like Milwaukee and what not.

Maybe, just maybe, they're not as good as everyone wanted to believe they were.

They play the games on the field and not on paper for a reason. I've been watching the Cubs all year and they suck.Mega-dittoes, DoubleM! :wink:

I'll further add that the lame condition of their pitching staff and the undisciplined nature of the clubhouse, starting with their toothpick grinning manager and ending with this guy...
:nandrolone
...will have this team mailing it in sometime around the middle of August.

If 3 or more teams get in front of the Flubs for the wild card, LOOK OUT BELOW! The most interesting thing to happen there the rest of the summer is how many fights start over hit batsmen and how many tantrums Flubbie pitchers throw over ball/strike counts.

They are far closer to finishing beneath .500 than winning the wild card, this I'm sure of. Anyone who thinks otherwise either doesn't understand the wild card, or doesn't understand the Cubs.

:gulp:

Yomarei
07-24-2004, 12:22 PM
It's that kind of baseball logic that says the Cardinals don't have the pitching to compete. :rolleyes: Keep on rolling your eyes, I bet you were the same guy who thought 2000 Sox rotation was legit. Sometimes rotations overachieve by a lot, especially when backed by potent offense. It happens. Then they come crashing down to earth. Now....the 9 game lead may in fact be too big to overcome, but you just never know. Wild card looks like more realistic goal at this point. And like Kenny Williams, Hendry is not gonna stand pat and allow the season to slip away.

They play the games for a reason. They also have DL option, team doctors and hospitals for a reason. Your point?

Maybe, just maybe, they're not as good as everyone wanted to believe they were.No, they are every bit as good as advertised. That's why they'll win the wild card and might just do some heavy damage in the playoffs. If healthy.

As far as them "tanking" it.....Sox would tank too if they had their 1-2 pitchers out for a long time, and then pitching while only at 70%, as is the case with Prior who can't get his curve over to save his life. Sox would tank too if Uribe and Rowand missed significant playing part of the season as is the case with Walker and Hollasworth, thanks to injuries and an inept manager. Of course we know what losing Sosa feels like - we went 2 games under .500 without Maggs afterall. Now Ramirez may not rival Frank in OBP but he is a better run-producer/clutch hitter this season, so losing him for a few weeks hurt the Cubs as much as losing Hurt did the Sox -- without Ramirez, Cubs scored something like 1.5 runs a game less, which is a huge margin............

I've been watching the Cubs all year and they suck.Apparently I gave some people entirely too much credit when it comes to baseball knowledge and objectivity. It's one thing to say Cubs may never get healthy enough to put together a good streak. It's quite another to dilude oneself into thinking that Cubs "suck". Methinks you're still stuck in the Jeff Blauser/Mickey Morandini/Kevin Orie era. Time to wake up and realize that there is a ****load of talent on the North Side, and it's just a matter of them staying healthy enough to play a couple of months together.

We'll see if it happens or not, but to write them off as simply being "not good enough" is absurd - look at their WC competition, Phillies included.

We as Sox fans dodged a HUGE bullet last year when "mediocre" Cubs were 5 outs away from the World ****in' Series. Let's not make the same mistake of underestmiating them this year. Hell, with all their injuries and self-destructive behavior, they are still only 2 games out of the WC, 1 game behind us AND 3 games better where they were LAST year at this time.

Yomarei
07-24-2004, 12:30 PM
One thing to remember about the Cardinals... even if their pitching goes in the tank, the Cubs will have to rely on other teams beating the birdies. The Cubs have already blown all their chances.
You may be right.

But as Angels and Marlins proved in 2002 and 2003, there ain't nothing wrong with a Wild Card.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-24-2004, 06:36 PM
You may be right.

But as Angels and Marlins proved in 2002 and 2003, there ain't nothing wrong with a Wild Card.Too bad the Flubs won't win it. Their season ended last week. Nothing but fights, fingerpointing, and falling cement for the next 2+ months.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-24-2004, 06:39 PM
....We as Sox fans dodged a HUGE bullet last year when "mediocre" Cubs were 5 outs away from the World ****in' Series. Let's not make the same mistake of underestmiating them this year. Hell, with all their injuries and self-destructive behavior, they are still only 2 games out of the WC, 1 game behind us AND 3 games better where they were LAST year at this time.This has to be one of the dumbest points I've ever read. Why don't you detail for us all the "underestimating" by Sox Fans that contributed to the 2003 Flubs sliding into the NLCS before caving and adding to their laughable legacy as Lovable Losers? Or all the "overestimating" by everyone else that now has the 2004 Lovable Losers staring at the prospects of playing 2+ months worth of meaningless games?

Really over the top...

1951Campbell
07-24-2004, 07:16 PM
Nothing but fights, fingerpointing, and falling cement for the next 2+ months.

Mmmm. That's beautifully alliterative!

WSox8404
07-24-2004, 07:36 PM

I think so too. There is no way they will finish better than SF or SD or LA. Whichever of those three do not win the west will be the wild card.

bmac5001
07-24-2004, 07:55 PM
Well, i'd say the NL Central is all but out of reach for anyone, unless the Cards happen to suffer a huge meltdown, which doesn't look likely, but crazier things have happened. I'd say they have an excellent chance of a wildcard birth though. That is, if they can control their tempers and start hitting consistently. It'll be tough though, that wildcard race is heated and it will probably go down to the wire. Even though the Sox play in the AL, i'm anxious to see how the NL wildcard will playout down the stretch, should be pretty exciting.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-25-2004, 01:39 AM
We as Sox fans pride ourselves on baseball knowledge and (sometimes brutal) honesty. The "well, they are the Cubs, afterall - what else could they possibly do but fail!!" knee-jerk Cub-like explanations ain't gonna cut it, m'afraid.

There is absolutely no way SD or SF, let alone anybody from NLE or NLC are gonna beat the Cubs in the wild card race.

Well, there IS one way, actually. Injuries. If Prior, Sosa, Wood, Walker are shelved again, A-Ram's groin flares up, Hollansworth out for season...then Cubs will fold. Then again, you could say the same thing about just any other team that loses 3-4 of its key pieces.

But the health issue aside, Cubs are just too damn talented this year (Maddux as your #5? Walker and Hollansworth coming off the bench? Yep, that's gonna get it done).

They get Nomar and you might as well concede wild card. Hell, they might catch up with Cardinals still since it's only a matter of time before Carpenter, Suppan, Marquois, Woody and injured Morris come back to earth. It's a long shot, true.....but how many people thought Cards would be this good while Astros - this bad. Baseball is a funny game.

Get Out. Please.

Whitesox029
07-25-2004, 01:42 AM
The NL is so much weaker than the AL it makes me want to laugh. Can the Cardinals win the wild card race and the division? That would be ideal. It's going to take a real meltdown not to be able to beat out the likes of SD, SF, ATL, etc. In fact I'd say the Reds or Brewers might have a better chance than those three.

Remember, though...if any team is capable of such a meltdown, it's the Cubs.

Vsahajpal
07-25-2004, 02:03 AM

Todd Walker coming off the bench is precisely why this team won't reach the playoffs. H & R Blockhead is too busy giving Alou head to notice the sinkin' ship. And now that I think about it, Capt. Toothpick won't even use TW off the bench.

Flight #24
07-25-2004, 12:08 PM

OK, by my count even if the Cards slump and go..30-35 in their final 65 games (ending at 91-71), the Cubs would have to go 40-25 in their final 65 games to beat them (by going 92-70). That's a .615 winning percentage, so they'd have to play about as well as the best teams in all of baseball from here on our, with virtually no slipups. Possible? Yes, but HIGHLY unlikely. It's in the same ballpark as the chances that the Sox are going to get Beltran and Randy Johnson for Richard Nanita and one of Jeremy Reed's old jockstraps, or that Reed and Olivo split the AL MVP next year.

And as for injuries, they're part of the game. Especially when you pin your hopes on aging, increasingly injury-prone sluggers (Alou, Sosa) and young pitchers who've been ridiculously overworked at a young age. Combine that with a gascan bullpen including a "closer" who's shown he can't handle the job, and a manager who's #1 trait is ludicrousy defending anyone any anything that comes from his team rather than having any accountability, and I'd say that they won't get the WC either.