PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie needs to be more careful.

fuzzy_patters
07-22-2004, 08:20 PM
In Oakland Ken Macha argued that Ozzie motioned to the bullpen when he came out of the dugout and should have to change pitchers, but the umpire did not let him. Tonight, Ozzie called for the right-hander when he wanted a left-hander and the umpire held him to it. He needs to be more careful because he could wind up costing us some games with this stuff.

nasox
07-22-2004, 08:46 PM
this time it worked out because cleveland was caught off guard.

Blob
07-22-2004, 08:55 PM
In Oakland Ken Macha argued that Ozzie motioned to the bullpen when he came out of the dugout and should have to change pitchers, but the umpire did not let him. Tonight, Ozzie called for the right-hander when he wanted a left-hander and the umpire held him to it. He needs to be more careful because he could wind up costing us some games with this stuff.
You could clearly tell he made a mistake tonight. He pointed to his left arm immediately after his right but, Joe West was facing the other way. He tried to get his attention.

SOXSINCE'70
07-22-2004, 09:56 PM
You could clearly tell he made a mistake tonight. He pointed to his left arm immediately after his right but, Joe West was facing the other way. He tried to get his attention.Too bad my Dad who lives in Jersey couldn't see the game.He lives 15 minutes away from the Phillies new park.He saw "Cowboy" Joe West umpire several games when he used to officiate NL games exclusively.Joe West is a drillrod.
Count on him to make the craziest calls when the pressure is on.Why he wasn't paying attention to Ozzie is beyond me.But FYI,West has pulled this crap before.:angry: :(:

DrummerGeorgefan
07-22-2004, 10:57 PM
I dont know the rules exactly, but is Ozzie bound to a pitcher if he taps one arm or the other, or is it some type of archane tradition that has become a rule of sorts

mcfish
07-22-2004, 11:09 PM
I dont know the rules exactly, but is Ozzie bound to a pitcher if he taps one arm or the other, or is it some type of archane tradition that has become a rule of sorts
That's my question - why is an arm motion the be all end all in calling for a new pitcher? What if 2 righties are warming up - how does the ump know then? And what does it matter? It's not like Ozzie was trying to screw anyone in that situation. Stupid sequence of events.

fuzzy_patters
07-22-2004, 11:49 PM
That's my question - why is an arm motion the be all end all in calling for a new pitcher? What if 2 righties are warming up - how does the ump know then? And what does it matter? It's not like Ozzie was trying to screw anyone in that situation. Stupid sequence of events.
The manager must tell the umpire who is coming in. This can be done by simply pointing with the appropriate hand to the bullpen. If their are two pitchers warming up that throw with the same hand, the umpire will ask the manager which number he wants.

Wealz
07-23-2004, 12:03 AM
If West was going by Ozzie's motion that was a totally weak call on his part. A 2-count barely elapsed before Ozzie attempted to notify him of the mistake. If he wanted Marte in he should've had Pollitte fain an injury after one pitch.