PDA

View Full Version : No Retaliation?

LASOXFAN
07-22-2004, 08:59 PM
4 HBP last night.

It's the 8th inning and I've yet to see a Cleveland batter get beaned or dive out of the way of some chin music.

fquaye149
07-22-2004, 09:04 PM
4 HBP last night.

It's the 8th inning and I've yet to see a Cleveland batter get beaned or dive out of the way of some chin music.
don't sink to that level. . . our HBP's was the football score drubbing we hung up.

They know we're not afraid to mix it up too . . .there's no need to give them baserunners.

munchman33
07-22-2004, 09:09 PM
Maybe if we were losing. But this is a close game, and Freddy's dominating. Us beating them in the score again is revenge enough.

MarqSox
07-22-2004, 09:14 PM
The Cardinals provided a nice example this week of staying above the fray and letting your opponents make fools of themselves.

Let's just win.

fuzzy_patters
07-22-2004, 09:25 PM
The Cardinals provided a nice example this week of staying above the fray and letting your opponents make fools of themselves.

Let's just win.
Not exactly. I do not believe the Cardinals intend to "stay above the fray." That is not the Tony Larussa way. He's a winner, and they were not going to throw at someone during a close game. However, if they are way ahead or behind late in a game next year you can bet a Cubs batter is going down. Tony knows how this is done. His pitchers have thrown at hitters a year after the fact before, and they will do it again.

fquaye149
07-22-2004, 09:28 PM
Not exactly. I do not believe the Cardinals intend to "stay above the fray." That is not the Tony Larussa way. He's a winner, and they were not going to throw at someone during a close game. However, if they are way ahead or behind late in a game next year you can bet a Cubs batter is going down. Tony knows how this is done. His pitchers have thrown at hitters a year after the fact before, and they will do it again.
well yeah, but by stay above the fray, i would mean don't get dragged into a crapfest. we've been beating them all series - why let yourself get dragged down into a brawl and give them momentum? tony knows it, ozzie apparently does too.

Chisoxfn
07-22-2004, 09:33 PM
At this point, winning the game is way more important, imo.

duke of dorwood
07-22-2004, 09:37 PM
There are a lot of games left and better time to do it. We do need to pitch inside more.

owensmouth
07-22-2004, 09:42 PM
Tow shutouts, that ought to leave a nasty taste on Cleveland's mouth. I'd rather leave them PO'd this way.

Nick@Nite
07-22-2004, 09:42 PM
There are a lot of games left and better time to do it. We do need to pitch inside more.Agree.

Our pitchers need to knock more hitters on there asses.

:sopranos
"revenge is a dish best served cold"

bigfoot
07-22-2004, 09:47 PM
Exactly! And Tony L did it just right again this week. He had his pitcher throw at the 2nd batter, the next day, both benches were warned, and the Cubs couldn't retaliate without losing their pitcher & Dusty Toothpicks. Check and Mate. Ozzie will get some, when the Indians come to Chi. C.C. throws hard and sometimes wildly, better not to get beaned by him.

Blob
07-22-2004, 09:52 PM
don't sink to that level. . . our HBP's was the football score drubbing we hung up.

They know we're not afraid to mix it up too . . .there's no need to give them baserunners.
Yeah, we scored enough to beat the Browns last night!!!

Lip Man 1
07-22-2004, 11:23 PM
There is a time and place to do this...when you are locked in a tight game against a divisional rival in their ballpark, that's not the right time.

Plus you don't want to get anybody suspended do you?

They play Cleveland again later in the year, see how the standings look and if they are in your favor, then you can do what needs to be done.

Lip

Frankfan4life
07-22-2004, 11:51 PM
There is a time and place to do this...when you are locked in a tight game against a divisional rival in their ballpark, that's not the right time.

Plus you don't want to get anybody suspended do you?

They play Cleveland again later in the year, see how the standings look and if they are in your favor, then you can do what needs to be done.

LipI have to agree with you on this one Lip. The best revenge for a HBP is to win the game, especially if desperation is the only reason an opposing team wants to plunk the other team's players. If you let the opposing team suck you into a beanball war, you could wind up on the losing side. The scrubs didn't win any of those games where they were hitting batters and acting like jerks. Anybody can throw at a batter, you need to use that agression fire up your bats. I loved the way St. Louie handled the stupid antics of the scrubs. They kept their focus and kept rounding the bases.

As they say, revenge is a dish best served cold.

mdep524
07-22-2004, 11:57 PM
Agree.

Our pitchers need to knock more hitters on there asses.

:sopranos
"revenge is a dish best served cold"
LOL. Or as Tony said, "revenge is like serving cold cuts." :tongue:

npdempse
07-23-2004, 01:54 AM
The tribe comes here in a couple of weekends. Be sure to be at that game to watch the inevitable *plunk*.

Tonight it was just too tight all night.