PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Lineup/Carl Everett

cws2002
09-28-2001, 02:17 PM
I think the Sox can make a few big trades and their lineup could scare anyone. I know trades are very tough to make these days, but I think with Keith Foulke being disgruntled could make him expendable. How about Foulke and Chris Singleton to the Rangers for Ivan Rodriguez. Here's another one: Jose Valentin for Jeff Weaver. One more:Carlos Lee for Carl Everett. Everett is a big gamble, but being a switch hitter gives them some left handed pop that they need. How do you like this lineup:
Durham-2b
Rodriguez-c
Thomas-dh
Ordonez-rf
Everett-cf
Konerko-1b
Borchard-lf
Crede-3b
Clayton-ss
A balanced lineup, solid defense, and avery talented pitching staff will lead you to the promised land.

LongDistanceFan
09-29-2001, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by cws2002
I think the Sox can make a few big trades and their lineup could scare anyone. I know trades are very tough to make these days, but I think with Keith Foulke being disgruntled could make him expendable. How about Foulke and Chris Singleton to the Rangers for Ivan Rodriguez. Here's another one: Jose Valentin for Jeff Weaver. One more:Carlos Lee for Carl Everett. Everett is a big gamble, but being a switch hitter gives them some left handed pop that they need. How do you like this lineup:
Durham-2b
Rodriguez-c
Thomas-dh
Ordonez-rf
Everett-cf
Konerko-1b
Borchard-lf
Crede-3b
Clayton-ss
A balanced lineup, solid defense, and avery talented pitching staff will lead you to the promised land. since this was your first post i would like to say welcome........

but you have some holes in your reasoning. like why would det tale jose when they have a very talented ss in devie cruz and a real good prospect at ss in the minors? Isn't ivan Rog a ufa? in any deal w/ lee we should equal or better value. last yr everett didn't come near lee and the salary is huge and i think we would LOSE much in this deal.

Nellie_Fox
09-29-2001, 03:32 AM
Ivan Rodriguez is reportedly just about done behind the plate. Most catchers' knees give out on them around his age. Bench, Berra, they all had to start playing other positions. Just what we need, another first baseman/dh.

MarqSox
09-29-2001, 12:14 PM
PLEASE don't get Carl Everett. Granted, it isn't all his fault, but look at the chaos he's wreaked in Boston. And for what? He's a jackass and would poison the Sox's clubhouse. We didn't have the great chemistry this year that we had last year, but it wasn't bad either. Adding Everett would make it horrid. The Sox wouldn't be a better team and they would hate each other on top of it. Not to mention, I hate having to boo my own players. I'd much rather platoon Borchard/Singleton/Rowand in center. Or how bout we trade Carlos Lee and Josh Paul to Florida for CJ and then move Rowand into left. There are plenty of ways to make the Sox better without adding the biggest jerk in baseball.

:boston
I wouldn't call him the BIGGEST jerk in baseball ... I mean, have you seen him play in Fenway? It's such a classic ballpark, and the Red Sox are such a classic team, nobody can really be a jerk there. I pray to Lord Pedro we -- er, Boston -- doesn't trade Carl.

Bmr31
09-29-2001, 08:29 PM
Durham-2b
Rodriguez-c
Thomas-dh
Ordonez-rf
Everett-cf
Konerko-1b
Borchard-lf
Crede-3b
Clayton-ss
A balanced lineup, solid defense, and avery talented pitching staff will lead you to the promised land.

You honestly think we could get weaver for jose valentin? LOL, youve got to be kidding me...

charlie browned
09-30-2001, 01:37 AM
Thomas, Clayton, and Everett in the same locker room? A recipe for disaster, IMO. Weaver sounds like a jerk as well.

Yeah, let's get rid of leaders and role models like Valentin, Singleton (a quiet man looked up to by all), Perry, and stick with those who lead second class lives....perfect for a second class organization....

oldcomiskey
09-30-2001, 11:25 AM
I dont like Rodreguez---hes too injury prone and rumors have floated that he will call nthing but fastballs when a base stealer is on base so to save his percentage of runners thrown out--give Me CJ if youre hunting another catcher--and do not trade FOULKE--- EVER

HootieMcBoob
09-30-2001, 09:53 PM
I could live w/ a trade for weaver (seen articles about this possibility). That guy is frickin awesome (even tho his personality kinda sucks).

If we get everett, i'll assassinate reinsdorf and williams. period.

IROD would be sweet, but it aint gonna happen. I loved CJ when he was here and i'd do anything to have him back. sandy alomar catching is getting painful to watch - i don't think i can handle it.

Mathew
09-30-2001, 11:28 PM
Carl Everett is the best player in baseball... just ask Carl Everett

Jerry_Manuel
09-30-2001, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Mathew
Carl Everett is the best player in baseball... just ask Carl Everett

:boston
Or me.

mrwag
10-01-2001, 10:47 AM
The only off-season acquisitions we need is a real catcher. Otherwise, we need to offload an outfielder, Clayton, and Howry. What can we get for them?

Joel Perez
10-01-2001, 01:54 PM
Are looking for a CF with "pop" and relatively inexpensive, plus all the arms they can muster.

Owner Tom Hicks, who rivals Bill Gates in wealth, can name his price, but has publicaly stated a couple of times before that I-Rod isn't going anywhere. One thing with Uncle Tom--never say never. Throw along a CF (Chris Singleton) with a top-flight prospect (Joe Crede) a replacement for I-Rod since they have no one in their minors (Mark Johnson) and an arm (Matt Ginter), and you might have Tom Hicks listening.

A better trade for Texas would be this: I know that listening to them on the radio when the Sox were in Arlington, they LOVE Carlos Lee, sooooo....Carlos Lee, Chris Singleton and Mark Johnson for I-Rod wouldn't be a stretch, but I don't think the Sox would be that crazy for a trade.

As for Ivan breaking down: from 1996-1999, Ivan averaged 148 games caught, which is A TON. Then in 2000 came the fractured thumb from Maurice "Mo" Vaughn's 50 lb. bat. Now in 2001, his right heel has been giving him problems since May, but he's played in 111 games.

A battery of Rodriguez/Paul or Rodriguez/Johnson would not be so bad. And with Paul's and Johnson's experience now, at least they can take 40+ games from Rodriguez to keep him healthy, or at least DH him a couple of times in the season.

Thoughts?

Clarkdog
10-01-2001, 03:35 PM
How about Foulke and Chris Singleton to the Rangers for Ivan Rodriguez. Here's another one: Jose Valentin for Jeff Weaver. One more:Carlos Lee for Carl Everett. Everett is a big gamble, but being a switch hitter gives them some left handed pop that they need.

Welcome to the board. Like your thinking, but IMO the players you are looking to deal might need to be switched up.

I Rod is an unrestricted free agent, and I think he is the kind of player that would get fans to the park, in a move that says the Sox are going for the WS. But I have heard that he is difficult with pitchers, and doesn't call a game to pitcher's strengths, but to his own (i.e. lots of fastballs w/ men on to try and throw out runners).

Weaver - love the guy. Even though he is a goon. Another player who could ignite fans. A real competitor - like Jack McDowell. He would be a fantastic addition to the rotation. his 13-15 record is very deceptive, with a 3.98 ERA it's clear the Tigers can never score any runs for him. Put him on the 2000 Sox, and he's a 20 game winner. I would trade C Lee for Weaver in a heartbeat. With Borchard behind Lee looking for an OF position, it would make sense.

Don't trade Valentin. If you want to get to the WS, you need his leadership. You don't want Everett, he is a cancer. And given the problems the Red Sox have had with him, he will likely be a trade bargain which will make it enticing.

Clarkdog
10-01-2001, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Clarkdog

I Rod is an unrestricted free agent, and I think he is the kind of player that would get fans to the park, in a move that says the Sox are going for the WS. But I have heard that he is difficult with pitchers, and doesn't call a game to pitcher's strengths, but to his own (i.e. lots of fastballs w/ men on to try and throw out runners).

My bad. I Rod is not a UFA.