PDA

View Full Version : At The Deadline

Lip Man 1
07-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Jeff Rickert on The Sporting News radio network today was talking about this story. It appeared in one of the New York newspapers and could be a factor in the Sox quest to win the Central.

The paper compiled all the info from the past seasons and it turns out that teams who trail the leader by only a game to game and a half at the trade deadline of July 31st only win the division 64% of the time.

Again that's the division, it isn't talking about the wild card.

To me that's shocking...I mean a lead of a game or a game and a half is paper thin. You'd think the percentage would be higher for the second place club.

Wish I could find that story.

The Twins continue to play an easy schedule, just something to keep in mind as July 31st approaches.

By the way, no team has ever come from nine games or more back at the trading deadline to win the division, guess the Cubs are dead.

Lip

soxwon
07-22-2004, 08:35 PM
to me that reads the first place team only wins the division

36% of the time.

mantis1212
07-22-2004, 11:11 PM
to me that reads the first place team only wins the division

36% of the time.
Yeah no kidding. Are you reading that right Lip?

Lip Man 1
07-22-2004, 11:36 PM
Gang:

I'm positive that's what he said and the percentages went down after that...if you are two games out, then if you are three to five games out and so forth.

I wish I could find that story.

Lip

doublem23
07-23-2004, 12:23 AM
Gang:

I'm positive that's what he said and the percentages went down after that...if you are two games out, then if you are three to five games out and so forth.

Lip
Yeah, the Sox did just win two games in a row from a intradivisional rival on the road, so we have to pull crap out of thin air to bitch about.

Jeez... :rolleyes:

mantis1212
07-23-2004, 12:29 AM
Gang:

Lip
Ok then, so why would you think this is a low percentage?? Sounds like the 1st place team has a 36% chance then, meaning you are better off in second place on July 31st. HUH??

34 Inch Stick
07-23-2004, 08:49 AM
The number will mean nothing after Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. SWEEP BABY!