PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR DENIED: Stark says "Expos to DC"

DaveIsHere
07-22-2004, 04:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1844551

Grobber33
07-22-2004, 04:54 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1844551
Just responding to that bumber above that has nothing to do with the Expos....

L I K E F A T H E R L I K E S O N , , , , ,

O N E T E R M & Y O U ' R E D O N E ! ! !:D: :D:

sendimjoey
07-22-2004, 05:00 PM
That's the best choice, although it is a weak field to begin with.

OurBitchinMinny
07-22-2004, 06:13 PM
Just responding to that bumber above that has nothing to do with the Expos....

L I K E F A T H E R L I K E S O N , , , , ,

O N E T E R M & Y O U ' R E D O N E ! ! !:D: :D:
Lets hope not....That would mean kerry is in office :o: ..That would be a long 4 years. DC is the best choice though for the expos

South Side
07-22-2004, 07:01 PM
Lets hope not....That would mean kerry is in office :o: ..That would be a long 4 years. DC is the best choice though for the expos
Let's hope so... let's really hope so.

34 Inch Stick
07-23-2004, 07:46 AM
I just hope baseball has studied the effect the will have on the O's. I'd hate to hurt a good franchise with a loyal following.

Baby Fisk
07-23-2004, 08:20 AM
Wow...baseball returns to RFK. Who'd a thunk it? Will they defrost Ted Williams and prop him up in the dugout? :cool:

fuzzy_patters
07-23-2004, 10:38 AM
I hope the team changes its name to the Senators. Baseball needs to protect its traditions.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2004, 10:45 AM
This rumor has been DENIED by both MLB and the MLBPA.

Union, MLB deny Expos-to-D.C. report (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-0407230365jul23,1,354062.story)

Jayson Stark = Jayson Blair.

In the future, please try to find some more credible sources okay?

And as for all our wishing and hoping D.C. baseball fan lurkers...
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Baby Fisk
07-23-2004, 10:47 AM
They are denying it because they waited too long to make the announcement in the first place. It was bound to leak. These people are not very intelligent. DC's got the Spos.

DaveIsHere
07-23-2004, 10:47 AM

Union, MLB deny Expos-to-D.C. report (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-0407230365jul23,1,354062.story)

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:
I was just giving the people what the want chief, Baseball in DC:cool:

vegyrex
07-23-2004, 11:30 AM
This morning I heard Chris Wallace, from Faux News, on WGN mention the Expos are heading to DC. :?:

On a side note, I also heard Chris Wallace say, in another interview, when he grew up in Chicago he followed the Sox. :D:

VaSoxfan
07-23-2004, 02:24 PM
I just hope baseball has studied the effect the will have on the O's. I'd hate to hurt a good franchise with a loyal following.

First of all let me say of course since I'm in Va I will support a move of the Expos to either DC or No. Virginia. But I have to comment on the "loyal following" quote. The O's fan base even in Maryland has dwindled considerably...they are drawing better this year due to the free agent signings they had but still aren't coming close to their pre-Ripken retiring numbers.

Angelos has let that team run into the ground....he's done nothing the last few years to make them competitve. He deserves any revenue he's going to lose, which every study (except his) shows isn't too much, since attendance from DC/Va has plummeted the last 5-7 years. It's just not feasible for us here in Virginia to get up there for a weeknight game, not with traffic.

Where he will get hit is in the TV revenues. If he fields a decent team there are more than enough good fans within an easy drive of Baltimore to fill his park.

Again, granted I'm biased, but all of the facts overwhelmingly favor the DC area versus all of the other cities. If anyone else other than DC gets the Expos it's a complete and total farce. Angelos's griping is the only thing making it interesting.

Dadawg_77
07-23-2004, 02:27 PM

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:Wouldn't go as far as saying Starks = Blair just because some people deny the report. If you read the report, what is know if the union did talk to the players that decision was close at hand. Now whether or not something else was said or someone misinterpetted what was said, could have easily happen. They told Starks and Starks reported it. It wasn't made up out of thin air.

Nick@Nite
07-25-2004, 01:32 PM
For me personally, I hope the Expos move to D.C./Northern VA because I'm relocating there this October. :redneck

I would support MLB in that area, no problem. Of course does not mean I would become a fan of "that team". It just means I would take in the occasional game while parading around wearing my customized Sox hat as I watch NL baseball.

Memo to Bud: Make sure they're renamed the Senators!

voodoochile
07-25-2004, 01:42 PM
What will their name be changed to?

I don't think it will be Expos or Senators.

I think Bullets is available :D:

Presidents?
Blooming Cherry Trees? (I bet SoxEd votes for this one)
The Georges? (becoming the Washington Georges)
Colonianls?

TornLabrum
07-25-2004, 04:32 PM

Presidents?
Colonianls?
Do the Washington Generals still tour with the Harlem Globetrotters? If not, maybe they could use that name.

SoxEd
07-25-2004, 04:53 PM

Presidents?
Colonianls?
Blooming Cherry Trees?
Not my preferred choice - how about the Washington 'Lobbyists' - with a name like that, a team's sure to be powerful!:D:

(Or perhaps the Washington "Dashed-Uppity Colonials"?)

I might also suggest the Washington 'Irvings'.
But that's only because I like 'Sleepy Hollow', and like me, he spent some time in Birmingham, England (he actually stayed in some places I used to live near, although it was still all fields when he was there). http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/irving.bcc

Seriously though, I'd probably go with 'Senators'.

1951Campbell
07-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Do the Washington Generals still tour with the Harlem Globetrotters? If not, maybe they could use that name.
That reminds me of the Simpsons where Krusty bet on the Generals because "they were due!"