PDA

View Full Version : Channel 2 blunder? Sox to Cubs: Our Park is Not Available (probably?)

valposoxfan
07-22-2004, 05:36 PM
The White Sox have officially stated that if the Cubs need to play some home games away from Wrigley due to the falling concrete that has surfaced over the past couple of days, they are not welcome to play at U.S. Cellular Field. (As reported on CBS 2 News.I'm still looking for a link to that.) Milwaukee is the next possible option. You can bet Bud Selig is begging for that idiot roadshow to come up there if they have to.

house215
07-22-2004, 05:42 PM
Do you think they would play at Soldier Field?

bobj4400
07-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Somehow I dont see how the Sox would be able to just tell them 'no'...the park is owned by the Chicago Sports Authority and the Sox lease it from them. I would think they would have the ultimate say in the matter...

Palehose13
07-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Milwaukee is the next possible option. You can bet Bud Selig is begging for that idiot roadshow to come up there if they have to.
:o:

cheeses_h_rice
07-22-2004, 05:46 PM
I'm sure Jerry's just looking after the best interests of the pisspants Flubbie fanbase.

After all, we wouldn't want them to have to drive down to our horrible, crime-ridden ghetto and sit in our ugly, sterile ballmall of a park, now, would we?

Kogs35
07-22-2004, 05:47 PM
the sox do have a say since they pay for security, and the game day operations for the field.

dickallen15
07-22-2004, 05:48 PM
Somehow I dont see how the Sox would be able to just tell them 'no'...the park is owned by the Chicago Sports Authority and the Sox lease it from them. I would think they would have the ultimate say in the matter...
I believe the Sox have veto rights on anyone using the stadium as part of their lease agreement. The Bears were rejected when they asked about playing there. They had to go to Champaign.

ewokpelts
07-22-2004, 05:51 PM
The White Sox have officially stated that if the Cubs need to play some home games away from Wrigley due to the falling concrete that has surfaced over the past couple of days, they are not welcome to play at U.S. Cellular Field. (I'm still looking for a link to that.) Milwaukee is the next possible option. You can bet Bud Selig is begging for that idiot roadshow to come up there if they have to.I'm actually suprised. You would have though the goodwill generated by the sox letting the cubs sleep on thier couch for a few days would persuade some media members to actually say some nice things about the team.
Instead:

:moron
"Not only are the Sox MISMANAGMENT stupid enough not to move into teh south loop in 1991, now they are pissing off thier northern neighbors, the beloved cubbies, by not letting them show how to fill up a ballpark, let alone a ballmall."

:giangreco
" While the seats would still have been blue, they are merely empty blue seats now that the sox wont help the poor cubs when they needed it the most."

Tekijawa
07-22-2004, 05:52 PM
Grant Park has some nice softball fields, and there are resturants and bars all over the place down there, just like home I'd say!

OzzieBall2004
07-22-2004, 05:53 PM
Thats great....I would hate to see those A holes invade our home. God that would be disgusting. I say if this was to happen. We should all go and pay to park and take up all the spaces and tailgate supporting whoever the road team is. Uck, I would feel dirty knowing they were in our stadium as the home team.

pearso66
07-22-2004, 05:53 PM
My question is would the money made off of concessions and admittance be given to the Sox or the Cubs? If I were JR, I woudl let them use it, only if we got the money from it. couldnt hurt having a few more games to add to our increased payroll.

soxtalker
07-22-2004, 05:56 PM
It will be interesting to hear the rationale behind this, if it is true. My first reaction was that it was a great opportunity for the Sox to let the Cubs play home games at the Cell. The public relations benefits would be good, and it would give some casual fans additional exposure to the park. But the biggest reason, of course, it that there would be added revenue for both the Sox and businesses around the park.

Tekijawa
07-22-2004, 05:57 PM
We: Play in Chicago
They: Don't

SOX PRIDE!

pearso66
07-22-2004, 05:58 PM
It will be interesting to hear the rationale behind this, if it is true. My first reaction was that it was a great opportunity for the Sox to let the Cubs play home games at the Cell. The public relations benefits would be good, and it would give some casual fans additional exposure to the park. But the biggest reason, of course, it that there would be added revenue for both the Sox and businesses around the park.
I completely forgot about Casual fans. It will show all those casual fans that the park really isn't in the middle of the Ghetto, and that its actually a very good place to see a ball game.

MarqSox
07-22-2004, 06:00 PM
It will be interesting to hear the rationale behind this, if it is true. My first reaction was that it was a great opportunity for the Sox to let the Cubs play home games at the Cell. The public relations benefits would be good, and it would give some casual fans additional exposure to the park. But the biggest reason, of course, it that there would be added revenue for both the Sox and businesses around the park.This is a good point. As fun as it would be to stick it to the Cubs and make them play their home games in another state, there would be plenty of positives to allowing them use of our park.

Realist
07-22-2004, 06:01 PM

SOX PRIDE!
:rolling:

Kogs35
07-22-2004, 06:02 PM
I believe the Sox have veto rights on anyone using the stadium as part of their lease agreement. The Bears were rejected when they asked about playing there. They had to go to Champaign.
the problem for the bears playing at comisky was moving the outfield wall the batters eye and the bullpens. plus renavations were going on at the time. also rodger bassord said no

steff
07-22-2004, 06:03 PM
Schedule wise it doesn't work.

That's probably the biggest reason not to allow them to play there, no..?

Kogs35
07-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Schedule wise it doesn't work.

That's probably the biggest reason not to allow them to play there, no..?
steff the biggest problem would be in august when the cubs are playing the padres at nght and the sox have the royals at night. other than that there is no schedule difference

steff
07-22-2004, 06:08 PM
steff the biggest problem would be in august when the cubs are playing the padres at nght and the sox have the royals at night. other than that there is no schedule difference

Oh, OK. I don't know their schedule so I wasn't sure. Even still.. 2 games a day for many dates.. I don't think the Comiskey employees union would like that so much. And for insurances reasons I don't know if the Cubs employees could work there..

Anyone who knows about their union know..?

Harris=God
07-22-2004, 06:19 PM
What about Montreal

jabrch
07-22-2004, 06:24 PM

Ultimately the Sox have total control of how the stadium is used, aside to the (I believe) 3 contraactually permitted events per season where the CSA is allowed to host concerts in USCF. That said, if offered the right deal, I'd be shocked if JR didn't take the Cubs money and let them in. It would draw 40,000+ dopes per day to USCF to see what an awesome park USCF is and to see that Bridgeport isn't this terrible place.

jabrch
07-22-2004, 06:24 PM
Oh, OK. I don't know their schedule so I wasn't sure. Even still.. 2 games a day for many dates.. I don't think the Comiskey employees union would like that so much. And for insurances reasons I don't know if the Cubs employees could work there..

Anyone who knows about their union know..?The guys on the score said there are only 3 days with overlap.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-22-2004, 06:25 PM
The White Sox have officially stated that if the Cubs need to play some home games away from Wrigley due to the falling concrete that has surfaced over the past couple of days, they are not welcome to play at U.S. Cellular Field. (As reported on CBS 2 News.I'm still looking for a link to that.) Milwaukee is the next possible option. You can bet Bud Selig is begging for that idiot roadshow to come up there if they have to.
Source?

Link?

Quote?

I'm very skeptical about this. I only caught part of their 5 pm newscast, but saw nothing about this.

Soxzilla
07-22-2004, 06:26 PM
What about Montreal
What about hell?

Oh..sorry, I meant florida.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Okay, Channel 2 has a video clip from their 4 pm newscast covering the mayor's "shut it down" comments. At the end Mary Ann Childers says in the "unlikely event it were necessary" the White Sox have already stated their ballpark is not available. Then they went back to the usual chuckles and happy talk.

That sounds like a press release. Does whitesox.com have anything about it? Or is Channel 2 the lone wolf on this one?

:Scott Reifert
"We categorically deny any statement attributed to the White Sox regarding the impending disaster at Wrigley Field."

:cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
07-22-2004, 06:41 PM
As of 5:36 there is no press release from the Sox regarding their refusal to consider letting the Lovable Losers slum as tenants inside the Cell while their decrepit dump is made safe for human habitation.

So that leaves just two possibilities. Either Scott Reifert (or one of his minions) went on the record with a comment, proving yet again what a bunch of incompetent idiots work for Jerry Reinsdorf. Or the Sox simply haven't gotten around to making an official announcement regarding this news, proving yet again what a bunch of incompetent idiots work for Jerry Reinsdorf.

Of course Channel 2 might have misquoted the Sox. Or the Sox spokesman (probably Reifert) might issue a denial, leaving Channel 2 to twist in the wind.

In any case I'm not surprised in the least.

valposoxfan
07-22-2004, 06:43 PM
Okay, Channel 2 has a video clip from their 4 pm newscast covering the mayor's "shut it down" comments. At the end Mary Ann Childers says in the "unlikely event it were necessary" the White Sox have already stated their ballpark is not available. Then they went back to the usual chuckles and happy talk.

That sounds like a press release. Does whitesox.com have anything about it? Or is Channel 2 the lone wolf on this one?

:Scott Reifert
"We categorically deny any statement attributed to the White Sox regarding the impending disaster at Wrigley Field."

:cool:
Yea, I saw the same thing you did so now we are on the same page. Also, the Score is reporting that there was a third incident yesterday where a brick size piece of concrete almost hit a woman under the upper deck down the third base line. This is turning into a huge deal. Three incidents in two months has forced the Cubs organization to conduct a hand search of the concrete underneath the press boxes and the mezzanine suites at the park. The possibility of the Cubs having to play somewhere else is looking more and more realistic...

Soxzilla
07-22-2004, 06:49 PM
Yea, I saw the same thing you did so now we are on the same page. Also, the Score is reporting that there was a third incident yesterday where a brick size piece of concrete almost hit a woman under the upper deck down the third base line. This is turning into a huge deal. Three incidents in two months has forced the Cubs organization to conduct a hand search of the concrete underneath the press boxes and the mezzanine suites at the park. The possibility of the Cubs having to play somewhere else is looking more and more realistic...
Oh don't worry. The cubs won't have many games in October to worry about anyways. Just as long as they can survive the next two months in the urinal.

C-Dawg
07-22-2004, 06:54 PM
Imagine if they do an inspection and they find that Wrigley is completely unsound? Concrete deteriorates, and steel rusts. The place won't last forever (Newer concrete mixes have chemicals in them to make them last longer in the freeze-thaw cycles we have here in Chicago). There is a very real possibility that this crumbling concrete may be just the tip of the iceberg. This very prospect probably scares the bejeesus out of the Cubs organization, and the Tribune, since building a new park will likely kill the novelty of the old 1914-era ballpark and the tourists will stop coming.

Anyway, a thorough rehab OR building a new stadium could cause the Cubs to move out for QUITE a while.

benjamin
07-22-2004, 06:57 PM
As of 5:36 there is no press release from the Sox regarding their refusal to consider letting the Lovable Losers slum as tenants inside the Cell while their decrepit dump is made safe for human habitation.

So that leaves just two possibilities. Either Scott Reifert (or one of his minions) went on the record with a comment, proving yet again what a bunch of incompetent idiots work for Jerry Reinsdorf. Or the Sox simply haven't gotten around to making an official announcement regarding this news, proving yet again what a bunch of incompetent idiots work for Jerry Reinsdorf.

Of course Channel 2 might have misquoted the Sox. Or the Sox spokesman (probably Reifert) might issue a denial, leaving Channel 2 to twist in the wind.

In any case I'm not surprised in the least.Are you serious??

Now what exactly would this press release say?

The fact that Wrigley Field may or may not finally be crumbling to the ground has absolutely no bearing on the White Sox organization.

If and only if it is determined that the urinal is unplayable and the Ass Clowns to the North are forced to find a temporary home, then the Sox might have a need to release a statement.

Further, as has been pointed out, the Sox don't own the ballpark. ISFA does. If ISFA wants to release a statement, that is entirely up to them and in no way controlled by the Sox PR "minions."

It is not the job of a PR department to constantly issue press releases regarding rumors and hearsay.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-22-2004, 07:02 PM
Are you serious??

Now what exactly would this press release say?

The fact that Wrigley Field may or may not finally be crumbling to the ground has absolutely no bearing on the White Sox organization.

If and only if it is determined that the urinal is unplayable and the Ass Clowns to the North are forced to find a temporary home, then the Sox might have a need to release a statement.

Further, as has been pointed out, the Sox don't own the ballpark. ISFA does. If ISFA wants to release a statement, that is entirely up to them and in no way controlled by the Sox PR "minions."

It is not the job of a PR department to constantly issue press releases regarding rumors and hearsay.Oh, really? Are you suggesting Channel 2 simply made up their source attributed to the White Sox? Nobody else (so far) has picked up this story that Channel 2 attributes to the Sox.

The State of Illinois owns the ballpark. The legislature created the ISFA to manage it. The primary tenant is the White Sox. The team's lease gives it veto power over what is scheduled inside the facility. If you don't believe me, find a Chicago Fire/footy fan and ask.

Channel 2 News is on again at 6 pm. Let's see if they repeat what they reported at 4 pm.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-22-2004, 07:17 PM
Okay, at 6:13 Channel 2 trotted out the same story with the same video clips. This time concluding with an aerial view of the Cell with a voiceover from anchor hottie Diann Burns stating the White Sox have already ruled out the Cubs playing at U.S. Cellular because of scheduling conflicts.

What is it, three games?

If this is true the White Sox are complete idiots. Where's our guy Brooks Boyer to make some marketing hay out of this one???

:reinsy's foot -----------------> :reinsy's mouth

bigfoot
07-22-2004, 07:46 PM
Isn't there an existing ballpark in Keokuk that needs a tenant? Maybe Madison, Wis(Muskies?). It would save a lot of bus travel for all those hard-hatted Cub fans,too.

SOXSINCE'70
07-22-2004, 07:57 PM
I don't care what the Sports Authority says,those losers should stay the Hell away from Comiskey.NO sCrUBS ALLOWED!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Viva Magglio
07-22-2004, 07:57 PM
First of all, I would not have a problem with the Sox renting out USCF to the Cubs if Wrigley Field is deemed uninhabitable. As long as the Cubs wet our beek, as they say. The scheduling conflicts could easily be resolved with a day-night format. When falling concrete forced the Yankees out of Yankee Stadium, they played a day game at Shea Stadium against Anaheim (IIRC) with the Mets playing a game against the Cubs at Shea that night.

As several posters pointed out, the Illinois Sports Facility Authority (ISFA) does own USCF. However, the White Sox as the only real tenant do have veto rights over who wants to use the facility. I don't recall the Bears ever really inquiring about USCF, but the White Sox did say no to the Fire during the Soldier Field renovation. Roger Bossard was concerned that the field would incur too much damage from soccer games.

If the Cubs had to leave Wrigley Field and we refused to let them play at USCF, it would ignite a media firestorm against us. It would be yet another PR black eye that we do not need. If push came to shove, I believe that the State of Illinois, City of Chicago, and Major League Baseball could pressure the White Sox into allowing the Cubs to play at USCF in spite of the Sox' veto authority.

Right now, however, I think all this talk about Mayor Daley shutting down Wrigley Field is media hype more than anything else. The cart is being placed before the horse. We'll see what happens when the inspections take place. I am no expert on building inspections, but I think the inspectors would have to uncover a lot of evidence of deterioration beyond what has happened so far in order to force Wrigley Field to be shut down completely.

Daver
07-22-2004, 08:04 PM
Right now, however, I think all this talk about Mayor Daley shutting down Wrigley Field is media hype more than anything else. The cart is being placed before the horse. We'll see what happens when the inspections take place. I am no expert on building inspections, but I think the inspectors would have to uncover a lot of evidence of deterioration beyond what has happened so far in order to force Wrigley Field to be shut down completely.
Wrigley Field should have been condemned years ago, I have worked inside the structure of that building, it is falling apart.

May I remind you that everyone in the media were sure that Daley would not be able to shut down Meigs Field?

Palehose13
07-22-2004, 08:05 PM
They could just put a net in between the crumbling ceiling and the seats. No biggie...I mean, what harm could a chunk of concrete falling at a rate of 9.8 m/s do to soemone?

Palehose13
07-22-2004, 08:07 PM
May I remind you that everyone in the media were sure that Daley would not be able to shut down Meigs Field?
LOL...maybe he'll cut giant X's in the infield so that running the bases would be more like running an obstacle course. :D:

Viva Magglio
07-22-2004, 08:10 PM
If in the middle of the night we see bulldozers going north on inner Lake Shore Drive and they turn left on Addision...LOOK OUT!!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-22-2004, 08:11 PM
LOL...maybe he'll cut giant X's in the infield so that running the bases would be more like running an obstacle course. :D:
It works for me! :bandance:

http://friendsofmeigs.org/images/Meigs_Field_Closed_Yellow_Ribbon.jpg
Post-improvements version of Wrigley Field.

HomeFish
07-22-2004, 08:15 PM
Soldier Field would be...interesting for baseball. If they went there, I might even buy a ticket or two just for the amusement of seeing baseball there.

Kogs35
07-22-2004, 08:17 PM
Soldier Field would be...interesting for baseball. If they went there, I might even buy a ticket or two just for the amusement of seeing baseball there.
the bears and fire wont allow it

Viva Magglio
07-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Football field too narrow = HR's up the giggy.

HomeFish
07-22-2004, 08:21 PM
Football field too narrow = HR's up the giggy.

Only to one field, though. To the other, we have the opposite problem.

Viva Magglio
07-22-2004, 08:31 PM
Not that I am putting the cart before the horse, but if the Cubs cannot play at USCF, the next viable option would be Miller Park. I haven't compared the Brewers and Cubs' schedules, but wouldn't there be more scheduling conflicts there? Same with Busch Stadium in St. Louis, where the 1984 Cubs would have had to play their World Series games had they beaten the Padres.

The area minor league ballparks (Kane County Cougars' Elfstrom Stadium, Schaumburg Flyers' Alexian Field, Joliet Jackhammers' Silver Cross Field, Gary South Shore Rail Cats' U.S. Steel Yard, and Windy City ThunderBolts' Hawkinson Ford Field) are all out of the question for obvious reasons. Needless to say, same for the area college baseball venues (Northwestern's Rocky Miller Park, UIC's Les Miller Field, Illinois' Illinois Field, and Notre Dame's Frank Eck Stadium).

Viva Magglio
07-22-2004, 08:32 PM
Only to one field, though. To the other, we have the opposite problem.
:shammy
"I'd like left field to be the short field."

Dadawg_77
07-22-2004, 08:36 PM
Ever think the Sox are giving the Cubs some cover? By saying they won't allow the Cubs to play at the Cell, they put some pressure on the city to allow the Cubs to continue playing at Wrigley. Since closing it down would force a home team out of town, now would that cost any votes?

Wealz
I think there would be a chance the Cubs wouldn't ask to play at U.S. Cellular Field if Wrigley were shut down, opting instead for Miller Park. So it might make some sense for the Sox to premptively say "no".

jenmcm76
What about Montreal
San Juan

oeo
07-22-2004, 08:38 PM
http://cbs2chicago.com/siteSearch/local_story_204140052.html

Go to the right, click "Play Videos"; it is at the end.

Kogs35
07-22-2004, 08:43 PM
what about a flight deck in the ocean? like what espn wanted to have with nc vs airforce and michigan vs army. ncaa didnt want it to happen so it didn't.

Viva Magglio
07-22-2004, 08:47 PM
I think there would be a chance the Cubs wouldn't ask to play at U.S. Cellular Field if Wrigley were shut down, opting instead for Miller Park. So it might make some sense for the Sox to premptively say "no".
Glancing at the Brewers and Cubs' August and September schedules, it appears there would be five scheduling conflicts with Miller Park. There would be three with USCF. Of course, one logistical issue would be tickets that are already sold. How would they configure Wrigley ticket locations with either Miller Park or USCF?

bigfoot
07-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Glancing at the Brewers and Cubs' August and September schedules, it appears there would be five scheduling conflicts with Miller Park. There would be three with USCF. Of course, one logistical issue would be tickets that are already sold. How would they configure Wrigley ticket locations with either Miller Park or USCF?
Just follow the stains?

robertks61
07-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Any ballparks available in Iraq?

Daver
07-22-2004, 09:05 PM
Any ballparks available in Iraq?
Extreme bad taste alert.

Cubbiesuck13
07-22-2004, 09:21 PM
I would think that this would be a golden oppertunity to make money off of them. They would have to pay US for the operations cost and the sox would get some money off of the ticket sales.... I would think that anyway.... if we did not make ALOT of money off of them then I say screw 'em.

Kogs35
07-22-2004, 09:26 PM
I would think that this would be a golden oppertunity to make money off of them. They would have to pay US for the operations cost and the sox would get some money off of the ticket sales.... I would think that anyway.... if we did not make ALOT of money off of them then I say screw 'em.
see the cubbies r thinking we are the mets because the yankees didnt pay them anything to use shea. the cops that are assigned there are on duty police at shea so it made no differnce. we need money from them if they will play at u.s cellular. and cubbies being owned by the tribester it aint happeninng. yes its a great move by JR and great pr move its just not possible. they have 3 games over lapping when the royals come to town in august, while the cubbies get the padres with a night game or 2 for the cubbies and then both have day games.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-22-2004, 09:31 PM
I agree with something Dawg posted earlier. Reinsdorf may be helping out the Cubune by shutting off the possibility of an "easy solution" imposed on the Cubs (playing "home" games 8 miles south at the Cell) that screws up the Cubune's operations and ticketholders. Now Milwaukee becomes the best and closest alternative, improving the leverage of the Cubune immensely.

Certainly the Sox benefit for a myriad of reasons to let the Cubs play at the Cell. The single-biggest one (and I don't believe anyone has mentioned it) is getting all those tourists and casual fans to come to the Cell and deflate the ridiculous myths about how terrible the ballpark and the neighborhood are. This is a golden opportunity for the Sox to steal fans from the Flubs simply by opening the gates to their fans.

Of course if Channel 2's report is correct, the Sox have shut the door to the Cubs. The only good business logic for doing this is to adhere to a gentleman's agreement between the ballclubs to help each other out on the business side of the game.

There but for the grace of God go I... maybe that's what the Reinsdorf is thinking?

nasox
07-22-2004, 09:43 PM
What about tiger stadium? No scheduling conflicts and im sure the grass could me made ready in less than a week? Am I smoking something?

misty60481
07-22-2004, 09:46 PM
I agree let them use the Cell I am sure there are people who have a bad opinion of our park that will be surprised how nice it really is...

Viva Magglio
07-22-2004, 09:49 PM
What about tiger stadium? No scheduling conflicts and im sure the grass could me made ready in less than a week? Am I smoking something?I believe Tiger Stadium is still standing, but it's older than Wrigley by two years and perhaps more crumbly considering that no one is using it to take care of it.

Kogs35
07-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Any one up for cub games at Thillens?

Wealz
07-22-2004, 09:55 PM
I agree let them use the Cell I am sure there are people who have a bad opinion of our park that will be surprised how nice it really is...
That's why I'm not so sure the Tribune Co. would ask. What better way to perpetuate the myth than to go 90 miles out of your way?

nasox
07-22-2004, 10:03 PM
I believe Tiger Stadium is still standing, but it's older than Wrigley by two years and perhaps more crumbly considering that no one is using it to take care of it.

I know tiger stadium is still standing ( I have a friend who can break in there and hang out all the time) but I think it could work. It may be in disrepair, it may not be, I'm not to say.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-22-2004, 10:07 PM
I know tiger stadium is still standing ( I have a friend who can break in there and hang out all the time) but I think it could work. It may be in disrepair, it may not be, I'm not to say.
It's in *major* disrepair. The city has not been maintaining it, and pieces of it are starting to fall off. There is no way that place could be trusted to hold 30,000+ fans without first conducting an extensive engineering study and a hefty set of repairs.

The Urinal will be habitable for human beings long before Tiger Stadium.

MarqSox
07-22-2004, 10:10 PM
That's why I'm not so sure the Tribune Co. would ask. What better way to perpetuate the myth than to go 90 miles out of your way?Precisely why the Sox preemptively said no, I'm guessing ... it's the whole "you can't fire me, I already quit" thing. It'd be embarrassing for the Sox if they said "yeah, we'll host the Cubs," but the Cubs declined the invite for Miller Park instead.

owensmouth
07-22-2004, 10:15 PM
The State of Illinois owns it, so ... let the Cubs play in DeKalb at NIU

Seriously, so what if the state owns the Cell? The only thing that the state gets is taxes from the Cubs. It's up to the Sox to say yes or no to allowing the pond sCum in to play at US Cellular.

I can understand going either way. While the two teams would split the revenue, some extra cash would be a welcome addition.

On the other hand, the Sox use the off days to maintain the park. It could be overused.

Kogs35
07-22-2004, 10:17 PM
The State of Illinois owns it, so ... let the Cubs play in DeKalb at NIU

Seriously, so what if the state owns the Cell? The only thing that the state gets is taxes from the Cubs. It's up to the Sox to say yes or no to allowing the pond sCum in to play at US Cellular.

I can understand going either way. While the two teams would split the revenue, some extra cash would be a welcome addition.

On the other hand, the Sox use the off days to maintain the park. It could be overused.
its the tribster we r dealing with people. they think you can get stuff for free

C-Dawg
07-22-2004, 10:18 PM
What about tiger stadium? No scheduling conflicts and im sure the grass could me made ready in less than a week? Am I smoking something?

I would go to see them at Tiger Stadium in a heartbeat because I missed a chance to see the Tigers play there! But I doubt if the Cubs' naive, touristy fans would EVER go there; they'd be too afraid - isn't Detroit more dangerous than the neighborhood around the Cell?

EDIT: Trying to make the text in teal!

bahn1225
07-22-2004, 10:19 PM
How about the park the Kane County Cougers play in?

owensmouth
07-22-2004, 10:23 PM
The Astrodome is available, as is the Superdome. They can go to either place. They can also schedule Aloha Stadium.

SEALgep
07-22-2004, 10:26 PM
I agree let them use the Cell I am sure there are people who have a bad opinion of our park that will be surprised how nice it really is...I wouldn't mind, as long as we got a significant portion of the money (including fees for the parks variable costs). Since I'm sure the Cubs wouldn't offer a reasonable amount of money, I'd say no.

dcb33
07-22-2004, 10:28 PM
If Cubs fans are scared of going to 35th/Shields, what makes you think they'd want to go to, uh, INNER CITY DETROIT to watch their team play?

Seriosuly, though, why do we want their stupid fans in our ballpark? If anything having the Cubs play in Milwaukee or Kane County or St. Louis or Timbuktu or wherever would only help the Sox sell more tickets to their games as people with any amount of intelligence would figure out that it's not worth the travel when they can stay in town and watch a better team...

A. Cavatica
07-22-2004, 10:45 PM
I think we should start a petition to MLB to contract the Cubs. I mean, if Wrigley goes, there's no point to the franchise at all. It's not like they're ever going to win.

jortafan
07-22-2004, 10:45 PM
I would think that this would be a golden oppertunity to make money off of them. They would have to pay US for the operations cost and the sox would get some money off of the ticket sales.... I would think that anyway.... if we did not make ALOT of money off of them then I say screw 'em.Don't know that we'd get any money directly from the ticket sales, but I would imagine the Sox would insist on keeping ALL cash derived from concessions and souvenir sales from any Cubs games played in our team's stadium.

Just imagine all the income that could be derived from beer sales to their drunken fans. Wonder if it would be enough to pay for a new catcher for the Sox, or whether the additional money spent having to scrub the sinks clean after every game (we all know what those people do in the sinks in their own home park) would eat up the profits.

Cubbiesuck13
07-22-2004, 10:55 PM
Don't know that we'd get any money directly from the ticket sales, but I would imagine the Sox would insist on keeping ALL cash derived from concessions and souvenir sales from any Cubs games played in our team's stadium.

Just imagine all the income that could be derived from beer sales to their drunken fans. Wonder if it would be enough to pay for a new catcher for the Sox, or whether the additional money spent having to scrub the sinks clean after every game (we all know what those people do in the sinks in their own home park) would eat up the profits.sox park holds more than wrigley right? any excess.....

:reinsy
MINE!

flo-B-flo
07-22-2004, 11:05 PM
What about the slubs "touring" the country like the barnstorming teams of the 20's? If it falls on your head we won't come anyway. :wink:

IlliniSoxFan
07-22-2004, 11:13 PM
Why not do to them what they do to us? We'll fill the bleachers, wearing our Sox jerseys and hats of the Cubs' opponents, act clueless and get hammered, puke on ourselves, and cheer at the scoreboard for the Reds and the Cardinals. :redneck

flo-B-flo
07-22-2004, 11:17 PM
I think we should start a petition to MLB to contract the Cubs. I mean, if Wrigley goes, there's no point to the franchise at all. It's not like they're ever going to win. We should begin this immediately!I'll bet we can get lotsa signatures in here.:wink:

Frankfan4life
07-22-2004, 11:23 PM
It will be interesting to hear the rationale behind this, if it is true. My first reaction was that it was a great opportunity for the Sox to let the Cubs play home games at the Cell. The public relations benefits would be good, and it would give some casual fans additional exposure to the park. But the biggest reason, of course, it that there would be added revenue for both the Sox and businesses around the park.I agree with you. What harm would it do to let the Scrubs play in the Cell? I see more positives to letting them play at the Cell than negatives. If this is the White Sox's stance, then I'm sorry, but I can't help but disagree with it.

FarWestChicago
07-22-2004, 11:30 PM
I agree with you. What harm would it do to let the Scrubs play in the Cell?Tell that to the people who have to clean the sinks afterwards. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/eek.gif

34rancher
07-22-2004, 11:48 PM
To me the amazing thing would be how the media would declare the Cell as the most beautiful, safest, and fan-friendly revoluntionary ballpark that should be revered and copied by every new stadium that would ever be built. The neighborhood would be the place to move to, and how beautiful and accessible the el-stop would become.

Then afterwords, the neighborhood and the stadium would suck again.

gobears1987
07-22-2004, 11:49 PM
I'm for screwing the fans over and getting money to keep Maggs

IlliniSoxFan
07-22-2004, 11:54 PM
To me the amazing thing would be how the media would declare the Cell as the most beautiful, safest, and fan-friendly revoluntionary ballpark that should be revered and copied by every new stadium that would ever be built. The neighborhood would be the place to move to, and how beautiful and accessible the el-stop would become.

Then afterwords, the neighborhood and the stadium would suck again.
LMAO!! It's funny b/c it's true.

Aidan
07-22-2004, 11:58 PM
Tell that to the people who have to clean the sinks afterwards. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/eek.gifHAHA!!!

I don't think the cleaning staff could ever get the stench of urine out of the Cell after a half-season of Scrubs fans. But if Reinsdorf made a bunch of money from concessions and signed Maggs with all the extra money, I'd be all for it. Let the Scrubs fans and the national media see a ballpark that isn't falling apart. Cubs fans may even change their beliefs on the Cell when they don't have to walk a mile to get to a bathroom and then have to wade through urine to share a trough with ten other dudes.

gobears1987
07-23-2004, 12:18 AM
CLTV is running the story every half hour, I haven't seen any mention of the Sox saying anything or any comments period from anyone about alternative locations

denev1
07-23-2004, 12:23 AM
What about Montreal
Totally, or Puerto Rico has a nice park and they love those minor league teams!

denev1
07-23-2004, 12:39 AM
You'd be waiting a long time...

DumpJerry
07-23-2004, 12:49 AM
Ok, first of all, an observation: in their rush to "improve" (i.e. expand) their old dump, the Flubs forgot to keep an eye on the present structure. Doesn't the city require a structure to be sound before issuing a building permit for expansion work? Maybe the city does and the mayor, being one of us, sees this as an opportunity to thin the herd......:wink:

Now, if I was in charge (and I really should be), I would welcome the bums to Comiskey while their place is under the scaffolds. Of course there would be some changes from Sox games: Beer=$12.00, hot dog=$10.00, $11.50 with a bun, toilet stalls=five bucks. With the new revenue, we can snare the Cubs' top target in the free agent market in the off-season as a welcome note for their money......:D:

Come on, Jerry, take the money and spend!!!!!!

gobears1987
07-23-2004, 12:56 AM
Now, if I was in charge (and I really should be), I would welcome the bums to Comiskey while their place is under the scaffolds. Of course there would be some changes from Sox games: Beer=$12.00, hot dog=$10.00, $11.50 with a bun, toilet stalls=five bucks. With the new revenue, we can snare the Cubs' top target in the free agent market in the off-season as a welcome note for their money......:D:

Come on, Jerry, take the money and spend!!!!!!
Oh Great! If they have to pay for the bathrooms they will just pee on the seats during the day game for us to sit on during the night game. No thanks:angry::angry::angry:

dllrbll7
07-23-2004, 01:49 AM
I just can not picture the score board saying Go Scrubs. I would probably be puking in one of those sinks after that.

kcsportscaster
07-23-2004, 01:58 AM
First off, in this supposed "Year of the Cub," I am damned happy to see The Urinal slowly crumble:tongue:!!!! Seriously, would any of you be afraid to go into a ballpark as old as Wrigley now knowing that it is slowly deteriorating and concrete pieces of the structure are falling from the upper deck to either the lower deck or the ground???? Thankfully, none of the pieces falling have resulted in any injuries. Even though I live nowhere near Chicagoland, I am just as appalled as the rest of you as well as Mayor Daley that The Cubune has basically hidden those incidents. Being in the radio news/sports business myself, I feel that it should be their responsibility to get such news out to the public in a prompt fashion instead of just hiding this situation because of the negative publicity that the structural problems bring to the Flubs and the Tribune Company.

As for allowing the Flubs to play home games in "The Cell" if necessary, not only no, but HELL NO!!!! Why even remotely encourage your rival to play its "home" games in your park???? Where I live, this would be similar to Auburn possibly having to have home football games moved to either Birmingham or even Tuscaloosa because of any structural problems with Jordan-Hare Stadium. If all of you in Chicagoland think there would be a firestorm over DA SOX not allowing the Flubs to play at "The Cell" if necessary, that would be NOTHING compared to the analogy I gave you!!!!

Any further thoughts????

pearso66
07-23-2004, 02:07 AM
I don't know how good of shape Tiger stadium is, and from the posts here, its not good. But from what I've heard around here, Detroit has been looking for a team to fill Tiger Stadium since the Tigers moved. And there is night life around the area, and you dont get to park in a nice parking lot. Cubs fans would love it.

DSpivack
07-23-2004, 02:52 AM
[QUOTE=Cubbiesuck13]sox park holds more than wrigley right? any excess.....

QUOTE]

I thought with the new renovations it really doesn't hold any more that Wrigley. Than again, we actually can hold 38,000/39,000 safely.

owensmouth
07-23-2004, 04:06 AM
Fidel would find a place for them, Let them become the Havana sCum.

milrtyme28
07-23-2004, 05:01 AM
Hey guys -

I think we all need to sit back and see what kind of opportunity this could present.

If the cubs are forced out of the urinal for the rest of the season we could be in great shape from a financial standpoint.

The sox lease the cell from the ISFA so they have the say so as far as how the property is used. If they were to allow cub home games at the cell the cub fans will still come to the games even tho they are ten games out - and they will buy beer and food like crazy. A few of them might even be sober enough to sit back and say WOW - this is a kick*** ballpark!.

So, the sox stand to grab a few fans and if they can get a slice of the ticket sales along with a solid percentage of the in-park sales ( beer, food, souveniers) the whole thing could be a windfall for our southsiders from a financial standpoint.

I was at a bar tonight where I was the only sox fan present and this whole debate was a topic of conversation. The cubbie fans I was talking to were of the firm belief that the sox would have to adjust thier schedule in their own ballpark to ACCOMADATE the cubs because the cubs would OBVIOUSLY draw more fans. After further dissecting this conversation I found out than not a single person in this cubbie blue block of fans had EVER been to the cell.

So, after this legion discovers that they have been watching this team with the smell of urine contnually present there might be a few converts. The media exposure certainly couldnt hurt, and we also would be in great shape if the cubs got to play at the cell but got no support from the video boards or jumbotron.

How cool would it be if the sox just left the cub logo from the late july crosstown series on the board for the duration of the season for the cubs?! you know - the cubbie logo with the red circle and line through it like the one that was displayed ofeter the 6-27 matchup?!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

eriqjaffe
07-23-2004, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't mind letting the Cubs into the Cell for a while, but only under the following conditions:

1) The new "Half-Price Night" beer sales restrictions apply to EVERY Cubs game.

2) No braodcaster or celebrity singing of "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" allowed.

3) Anybody who throws a home run ball on the field is immediately ejected from the ballpark. If the offender is a minor, the parent(s) or guardian(s) are also ejected.

4) As far as the public address and other in-park "multimedia" systems are concerned, the Cubs are treated with the same dead-pan understatement as any other visiting team.

5) Concession prices for every item will be in accordance with whichever park has the higher price.

6) No Cubs merchandise will be sold, either inside or outside the park.

Let 'em play there, but take every opportunity to remind them that it's not their park.

SSN721
07-23-2004, 09:43 AM
As has been stated by many other posters here, I am for hosting their home games, and miling them dry. It will look good, some fans might even appreciat what a nice park it is, and all the extra revenue couldnt hurt at all. I think the backlash of an outright refusal would not look good at all.

vegyrex
07-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Let the flubs play at the Cell. If the Sox get to keep some of the revenue it would generate, I don't see a problem.

I just heard about a THIRD incident of concrete falling at Wrigley
I bet Daley's bulldozers are warming up. :D:

Maximo
07-23-2004, 10:01 AM
I would go to see them at Tiger Stadium in a heartbeat because I missed a chance to see the Tigers play there! But I doubt if the Cubs' naive, touristy fans would EVER go there; they'd be too afraid - isn't Detroit more dangerous than the neighborhood around the Cell?

EDIT: Trying to make the text in teal!
If they're looking for a place to play and concerned about the neighborhood, there's a cornfield in Iowa that's available.

Fans will have to BYOB, though.

habibharu
07-23-2004, 10:09 AM
let them play in our park as long as half of all revenues from concessions and tickets go to the sox for all of the games the scrubs play at our park

Rocky Soprano
07-23-2004, 10:14 AM
If they were to play here, why should we share any revenues?

Concession revenue would be provided by Sox employees so ALL that revenue should be coming back to the Sox.

34rancher
07-23-2004, 10:27 AM
I know I am slow, but it just hit me. Make them play all ROAD GAMES!!!!

That ought to teach them....

illiniwhitesox
07-23-2004, 10:39 AM

In any case I'm not surprised in the least.
I disagree with this whole-heartedly. This is a brilliant ploy. First, you reaffirm that Wrigley is crumbling and decaying and may not be safe to take your family. Second, you state that Comiskey (you can call it US Cellular if you like) is safe and not a replacement park for the Cubs. This announcement is absolutely the right thing to do strategically.

I doubt that Wrigley will be shut down. If it is, you can always retract your statement at a later date by saying that MLB put tremendous pressure on the Sox organization to let the Cubs play there. There are endless ways you can then play up the fact that Comiskey is a better place to watch a game than Wrigely and try to retain first time visitors to the park.

All of us like the aggressive marketing tactics that the Sox have taken under management. They could have a field day with this if it were to happen. Additionally, we would have substantial leverage in asking for top compensation from the Flubs for use of the park. Very few people will want to travel to Milwaukee for a game on weekdays. It's a 90 minute drive.

steff
07-23-2004, 01:17 PM
If they were to play here, why should we share any revenues?

Concession revenue would be provided by Sox employees so ALL that revenue should be coming back to the Sox.
So all the Cubs employees are out of a job..? I wouldn't think so. That's not fair.
IMO, the Cubs employees would work the Cubs games, the Sox employees would work the Sox game. Each team would get the reveues from the "home" team.

cbrownson13
07-23-2004, 01:19 PM
So all the Cubs employees are out of a job..? I wouldn't think so. That's not fair.
IMO, the Cubs employees would work the Cubs games, the Sox employees would work the Sox game. Each team would get the reveues from the "home" team.

Are you talking about vendors? Because a lot of them do both Cubs and Sox games.

Soxaholic
07-23-2004, 01:26 PM
When both teams are in town, some of the vendors come to the Cell in their Wrigley Field uniforms. The Cubs are the peple who are suppossed to provide a safe working enviornment. The White Sox have. If the Cubs are going to play at the Cell the Cell's employees should take the benefits. The Cell has been criticized, but at least it's safe! Send the Tribune a message to keep up their ballpark, along with not scalping tickets. :D:

ewokpelts
07-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Ultimately the Sox have total control of how the stadium is used, aside to the (I believe) 3 contraactually permitted events per season where the CSA is allowed to host concerts in USCF. That said, if offered the right deal, I'd be shocked if JR didn't take the Cubs money and let them in. It would draw 40,000+ dopes per day to USCF to see what an awesome park USCF is and to see that Bridgeport isn't this terrible place.CSA? Wot's that? Are you referring to ISFA?
Gene

mike squires
07-23-2004, 01:35 PM
Breaking news!!! The Sox management Ok'd the Cubs to play all remaining home games at Comiskey!!! Everything was approved however Nancy refused to loan her organ out!!!:)

steff
07-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Are you talking about vendors? Because a lot of them do both Cubs and Sox games.
And some only do Cubs games or Sox games. What about the ushers..? All the Cubs ushers just lose their jobs.. while the Sox ushers get to would overtime..? How's that fair?

There's a lot more than just the vendors. Clean up people, behind the scenes cooks, all the tech folks.

If the Cubs play at Comiskey they should be allowed to bring in the same folks that would work at Wrigley like it's not closed and the Sox should not get anything more than the cost of the park being operated when it's normally closed.

ewokpelts
07-23-2004, 01:40 PM
I know tiger stadium is still standing ( I have a friend who can break in there and hang out all the time) but I think it could work. It may be in disrepair, it may not be, I'm not to say.Break into Tiger Stadium? That'll be a highlight of any detroit road trip.
Gene

steff
07-23-2004, 01:40 PM
When both teams are in town, some of the vendors come to the Cell in their Wrigley Field uniforms. The Cubs are the peple who are suppossed to provide a safe working enviornment. The White Sox have. If the Cubs are going to play at the Cell the Cell's employees should take the benefits. The Cell has been criticized, but at least it's safe! Send the Tribune a message to keep up their ballpark, along with not scalping tickets. :D:

Screw the Wrigley employees. Nice.. :?:

owensmouth
07-23-2004, 01:56 PM
And some only do Cubs games or Sox games. What about the ushers..? All the Cubs ushers just lose their jobs.. while the Sox ushers get to would overtime..? How's that fair?

There's a lot more than just the vendors. Clean up people, behind the scenes cooks, all the tech folks.

If the Cubs play at Comiskey they should be allowed to bring in the same folks that would work at Wrigley like it's not closed and the Sox should not get anything more than the cost of the park being operated when it's normally closed.
Wrong. Sorry for the Wrigley workers, but the Cubs are coming, hat in hand, and they use what the Sox allow them to use. It is still US Cellular Field, not Wrigley Field South.

The Cubs get ticket revenue, and a percentage of the food sales. Everything else goes to the Sox. The Sox control the employees, though they may add a few from Wrigley. Parking? Goes to the Sox.

steff
07-23-2004, 02:07 PM
Wrong. Sorry for the Wrigley workers, but the Cubs are coming, hat in hand, and they use what the Sox allow them to use. It is still US Cellular Field, not Wrigley Field South.

The Cubs get ticket revenue, and a percentage of the food sales. Everything else goes to the Sox. The Sox control the employees, though they may add a few from Wrigley. Parking? Goes to the Sox.

Oh.. I am so sorry for having an opinion on what I think should happen..

Oh (2).. link to the story where they have been approved to use Comiskey park..?

TIA.

owensmouth
07-23-2004, 02:10 PM
Oh.. I am so sorry for having an opinion on what I think should happen..

Oh (2).. link to the story where they have been approved to use Comiskey park..?

TIA.
Sorry to irritate you. Wasn't meant to be.

cubhater
07-23-2004, 02:13 PM

SOX PRIDE!
:cheers:

Dadawg_77
07-23-2004, 02:29 PM
As a tax payer in Il, if the Cubs play at the Cell, they should pay rent to the ISSA, which could be used to help balance the state budget.

SSN721
07-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Well I wouldnt like this at all if the SOx got nothing from the Cubs for letting them use our park. If they want a handout, they can go begging to Selig.

Blueprint1
07-23-2004, 02:42 PM
As a tax payer in Il, if the Cubs play at the Cell, they should pay rent to the ISSA, which could be used to help balance the state budget.
hahahahah how much rent do you want them to pay. The stadium has already been rented you can't rent it to two businesses at the same time.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Thanks to Farmeo, we now have a link that characterizes what the Sox said quite differently than what Mary Ann and Diann told everyone last night on the Channel 2 news.

Did Channel 2 screw up about the Sox? (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37517)

Here's the link from staff writer Mark Konkol in Thursday's Southtown (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsnews/221nd3.htm). He names Reifert as the source, but only paraphrases him claiming there "probably" are scheduling issues. Again, there is no direct quote on the subject from the Sox.

Pie in the face------------> Channel 2?

:?:

misty60481
07-23-2004, 03:12 PM
DID THE cubs offer us the use of Wrigley when we built Comiskey II just in case it wasnt finished on time???

SaltyPretzel
07-23-2004, 03:52 PM
DID THE cubs offer us the use of Wrigley when we built Comiskey II just in case it wasnt finished on time???
I don't see why they would since the original Comiskey was still standing.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2004, 04:26 PM
I don't see why they would since the original Comiskey was still standing.Correct. The demolition of Old Comiskey started just a few weeks before the new ballpark opened across the street. Had there been any doubt New Comiskey wouldn't be ready, the solution was waiting right across the street.

New Comiskey was finished on time and under budget. Granted, there were some last minute projects that the workers completed working overtime. Just ask Daver. The good news is he got a bunch of broken Sox drain covers in the process.

:redneck

Yorke97
07-23-2004, 06:59 PM
Didn't the Sox play in Milwaukee a few times when there were problems with Old Comiskey? Could this just be the Sox returning an old favor?

PaleHoseGeorge
07-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Didn't the Sox play in Milwaukee a few times when there were problems with Old Comiskey? Could this just be the Sox returning an old favor?
Wrong.

Under the expert ownership of Arthur Allyn, the 1968 and 1969 Sox played a single game against each league opponent at "home" in Milwaukee's County Stadium. That's because our ol' pal "Used Car" Bud Selig was trolling for a new team to replace the Braves in Chicago's biggest suburb. Art was the biggest sucker he could find, and he nearly landed him. Not until Art's brother John bought the Sox was the franchise secured again for Chicago, near the conclusion of the 1969 season.

Sox attendance waned as a result of Art's mismanagement but it had nothing to do with the condition of Sox Park.

ode to veeck
07-23-2004, 07:53 PM
I can hear the midnight bulldozers warming up ... :redneck

34rancher
07-23-2004, 09:12 PM
Let's see the real important question is....do they get to use our dugout, locker room, and batting cage?

I can just see Soso blasting his music on Frank's television.

doctor30th
07-24-2004, 01:04 AM
I don't know if this was discussed, but I thought I heard a caller on the radio say that if Wrigley was shut down, they sould play at the Cell just changing there scheduele around the White Sox.

There argument was that it could get the Sox more money (via leasing the park to the cubs), now I was thinking, wouldn't that money just go the the State, or am I wrong and the Sox have a deal where they get money from things like hen the Rolling Stones played there?

I'm not condoning this, I was just wondering if sox benefit from such things.

South Side
07-24-2004, 01:13 AM
This has been discussed... The thread should be here somewhere.
I hope I am saving you right now from the mean replies yelling at you for not looking before you posted.

cheeses_h_rice
07-24-2004, 01:15 AM
This has been discussed... The thread should be here somewhere.
I hope I am saving you right now from the mean replies yelling at you for not looking before you posted.
Thread merged...we mods are on it.

:gulp:

South Side
07-24-2004, 01:20 AM
Thread merged...we mods are on it.

:gulp:
Impressive... :wink:

cubhater77
07-24-2004, 05:35 AM
how about bagdad? i can seen it now, saddam being carted out in his orange jumpsuit with a cubbie logo, tossing the first pitch. you could have him sing the 7th inning stretch n it still won't be as bad as ozzy last year. as for the urinal, maybe hip hop demolition would be the perfect sendoff, lol.

A. Cavatica
07-24-2004, 08:37 AM
My first reaction was "screw the Cubs, let them solve their own problems" -- but it's changed to "what's in it for the Sox?"

I am open to the idea of the Cubs playing at Comiskey (I'll never call it The Cell) if it advances our playoff campaign.

Has anyone seen an estimate of how much money would accrue to the Cubs' guest host? Is there precedent for a players-for-stadium-use trade?

soxtalker
07-24-2004, 09:02 AM
This comment does bring another thought to mind. If the Cubs were unable to play at Wrigley, there would be additional pressure from the city to work out a deal at Cell because of lost tax revenue.

Diehardflubbieidiot
07-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Here's proof again that Cubs fans aren't too smart.

:troll
"I'm Scammy's love slave."

DGSWR81
07-26-2004, 06:37 PM
The Astrodome is available, as is the Superdome. They can go to either place. They can also schedule Aloha Stadium.Or maybe...The Pontiac Silverdome?

jfo go go sox
07-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Who watches Channel 2 news anyway???

:anon:

slavko
07-26-2004, 11:52 PM
Does anyone remember that the right field lower deck at old Comiskey was closed for several weeks because of concrete falling from above some time after construction of the new park had started, when the old park was still in use? The problem was solved and the seats were eventually returned to use.

he_gone_89
07-27-2004, 12:42 AM
I hear alaska is beautiful around this time:gulp:

Whitesox029
07-27-2004, 02:43 PM
The White Sox have officially stated that if the Cubs need to play some home games away from Wrigley due to the falling concrete that has surfaced over the past couple of days, they are not welcome to play at U.S. Cellular Field. (As reported on CBS 2 News.I'm still looking for a link to that.) Milwaukee is the next possible option. You can bet Bud Selig is begging for that idiot roadshow to come up there if they have to.There's always a local minor league park...that's where they belong anyway.

MrRoboto83
07-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Tiger Stadium is still standing, the Flubs would fit in another old ballpark falling apart.

The even thought of the Flubs playing at the Cell makes me very sick, it would be a bad thing.:angry:

CubsSuckMySox182
08-03-2004, 12:34 PM
There's always a local minor league park...that's where they belong anyway.lol Agreed! I know the Cubs playing in Comiskey could bring in some much needed money, but the Cubs....invading OUR field?!? I mean...I don't want to see them ruining the White Sox Sanctuary. Comiskey has class and character. I for one do not want that marred by the Cubs jerks that would assuredy flock into the ballpark. Not to mention the extra work the grounds crew would have keeping the field up after 2-a-day games. :bart <---Bart Simpson says it all.... Let the Cubs play somewhere like the Kane County Cougars' field....ANYWHERE BUT COMISKEY!

balke
08-03-2004, 11:08 PM
You think KC had a bad time in the cell? Just think how Sox fans are going to take to Cubs playing on their turf. Pure carnage, I'd buy a ticket to every game they played just to watch the fans.

Erik The Red
08-03-2004, 11:12 PM
There's always a local minor league park...that's where they belong anyway. Haha, Elfstrom Stadium in Geneva is right in my backyard. I'd love to go to a few games there and heckle the Cubs.