PDA

View Full Version : which pitcher would you prefer?

soxyes
07-22-2004, 03:45 PM
career stats

w L whip era age income
pitcher A - 63 44 1.25 3.56 27 8 mil
pitcher B - 63 38 1.24 3.74 25 3.5 mil

pitcher A is Kerry (I'm massively overrated & overpaid) Wood
pitcher B is Mark (I'm massively underrated - when compared to wood) Buehrle

Baby Fisk
07-22-2004, 03:48 PM
yeah...but Buerhle never got on the cover of Sports Illustrated's Baseball Preview... :cool:

SoxxoS
07-22-2004, 03:49 PM
You shouldn't of said who the two pitchers were.

Better idea, go post that on northsidebaseball.com without the names and see what they say. Kerry has a bit better number (although pitching in the NL), so they will say Kerry. But if you pose the question: Who is the better value for the money? They should pick Burly...but then again they are Flub fans.

Sebastian
07-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Yes, but Wood has achieved those numbers while chronically underachieving during his career. Imagine if he wasn't such a disappointment--his ceiling is higher than Buehrle's (simply put, his stuff is better), therefore, if he pitched to his potential, his results would be greater.

That said, I would still take Buehrle. He's a workhorse that'll give you 225+ IP/YR who is exponentially less likely than Wood to battle serious injuries for the duration of his career. Furthermore, Mark has been consistent (for the most part) since coming into the league. His "bad year" last season, when looking back, doesn't look so horrible, does it? Consistency is certainly not something Wood is familiar with. IIRC, his career-high is still 13 wins for a season. Nothing worth salivating over, is it?

When both these talented pitchers' careers end, Mark's will be the one that is most successful--with over 200 wins and an ERA on the better side of 3.50. Wood will have the Northsiders wondering what could've been, uttering those sweet 'What ifs' that they so love to utter.

Just my opinion, of course . . .

habibharu
07-22-2004, 04:05 PM
if wood and burly made the same amount of money, and if wood didnt have injury problems, i would take wood any day of the week. this guy has the potential to throw a no-no every time he pitches! his stuff is electric. but those are two pretty ifs, so ill take the burlymon!!

OEO Magglio
07-22-2004, 04:31 PM
Yes, but Wood has achieved those numbers while chronically underachieving during his career (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=502,28012355,whitesoxinteractiv e.com,1). Imagine if he wasn't such a disappointment--his ceiling is higher than Buehrle's (simply put, his stuff is better), therefore, if he pitched to his potential, his results would be greater.

That said, I would still take Buehrle. He's a workhorse that'll give you 225+ IP/YR who is exponentially less likely than Wood to battle serious injuries for the duration of his career (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=502,28012355,whitesoxinteractiv e.com,1). Furthermore, Mark has been consistent (for the most part) since coming into the league. His "bad year" last season, when looking back, doesn't look so horrible, does it? Consistency is certainly not something Wood is familiar with. IIRC, his career-high is still 13 wins for a season. Nothing worth salivating over, is it?

When both these talented pitchers' careers (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=502,28012355,whitesoxinteractiv e.com,1) end, Mark's will be the one that is most successful--with over 200 wins and an ERA on the better side of 3.50. Wood will have the Northsiders wondering what could've been, uttering those sweet 'What ifs' that they so love to utter.

Just my opinion, of course . . .Who cares (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=502,28012355,whitesoxinteractiv e.com,1) about his potential. Also looking at those era's makes it obvious that Mark is better too. Last year I believe the al to nl average runs scored was like .9 runs higher in the american league because of better hitters and a dh, so basically .2 runs different in the era shows that Mark's era is more impressive.

zach23
07-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Who cares (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=502,28012355,whitesoxinteractiv e.com,1) about his potential. Also looking at those era's makes it obvious that Mark is better too. Last year I believe the al to nl average runs scored was like .9 runs higher in the american league because of better hitters and a dh, so basically .2 runs different in the era shows that Mark's era is more impressive.

Yeah, isn't the rule that if you are comparing an NL and AL pitcher, add a half run of ERA to the NL pitcher to make it an even comparison?

Sebastian
07-22-2004, 04:39 PM
Who cares (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=502,28012355,whitesoxinteractiv e.com,1) about his potential. Also looking at those era's makes it obvious that Mark is better too. Last year I believe the al to nl average runs scored was like .9 runs higher in the american league because of better hitters and a dh, so basically .2 runs different in the era shows that Mark's era is more impressive.Exactly the point I'm trying to make. I would take Wood over Mark if neither had pitched a big-league game. That's when potential is useful. However, with their known histories, the obvious choice is Buehrle.

Also, WHIP will be lower and K's higher for an NL Pitcher.

fquaye149
07-22-2004, 04:44 PM
to be fair to wood, although i don't see why i should,

you left out what many consider to be the most important stats of pitching:

k/9 innings and k/bb

i would think wood probably has a decent edge on mark in these categories.

I'd still take Buehrle in a heartbeat even at equal pay. mark plus 4.5 mill is a bargain.

OEO Magglio
07-22-2004, 04:46 PM
to be fair to wood, although i don't see why i should,

you left out what many consider to be the most important stats of pitching:

k/9 innings and k/bb

i would think wood probably has a decent edge on mark in these categories.

I'd still take Buehrle in a heartbeat even at equal pay. mark plus 4.5 mill is a bargain.k/9 obviously wood is going to better, k/bb I'm not to sure.

FoulkeFan
07-22-2004, 04:51 PM
K/BB

Buerhle 2.41
Wood 2.35

Buerhle wins again!!!

Dadawg_77
07-22-2004, 05:04 PM
Objectively, you can't compare money due to leverage and baseball's CBA. The fact of the matter is a fifth year player gets pay more then a third year player even if the third year player is putting up better numbers.