PDA

View Full Version : Game Ball Moment Last Night

Brian26
07-22-2004, 09:14 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned or if anyone else caught this-

Last night as the team was congratulating each other, Willie open up his glove for Buehrle to take the game ball. Buehrle took it and immediately put it in Burke's glove and punched him on the chest like "good job".

Cool moment. I think our staff really feels comfortable pitching to Burke. Buehrle's post-game comments made it sound like Burke called the game on his own, although I've been told (Daver backed us up on this) that Sandy is calling the games from the dugout.

Either way, big win. Keep it up!

MushMouth
07-22-2004, 09:20 AM
I noticed that, nice moment.

As DJ and Hawk were saying, Buerhle just doesn't shake off calls, he lets the catcher call the game. Obviously last night it worked out well! I'd love to hear a clarification on the dugout vs. catcher pitch calls. It did not look like they were feeding Burke calls last night.

Blob
07-22-2004, 09:25 AM
I saw that too. That was a very nice gesture.

Rocky Soprano
07-22-2004, 09:53 AM
I was actually just about to post something about this. I caught that and thought it was a great gesture. This team is full of love and respect! :D:

SSN721
07-22-2004, 10:06 AM
I thought it was an incredible gesture. Good for Jamie, whether he was calling the game or not. Just love to see moments like this. They were a great team last night. :D:

Blob
07-22-2004, 10:08 AM
I thought it was an incredible gesture. Good for Jamie, whether he was calling the game or not. Just love to see moments like this. They were a great team last night. :D:
Maybe he doesn't call the pitches but I'm sure he sets up where the pitch should go.

HebrewHammer
07-22-2004, 10:14 AM
Actually, Buehrle typically has Alomar catch his games because of his game calling experience, Mark just throws whatever the catcher calls. After last night I'd like to see more of Mark and Jamie, just judging by the result they seemed to be clicking, odds are Jamie is going to get the start again tonight.

Foulke You
07-22-2004, 11:14 AM
odds are Jamie is going to get the start again tonight.
Unfortunately, I believe Ben Davis will be in the lineup tonight. Davis has been Freddy Garcia's personal catcher since he arrived on the Sox and I have a feeling that Ozzie isn't going to stray from that despite the strong performance from Burke last night.:(:

Hangar18
07-22-2004, 11:21 AM
that was a Very Nice moment and unselfish gesture on Buerhles part.
Too bad noone in the media talked about it .......... at least WE noticed :smile:

miker
07-22-2004, 11:26 AM
that was a Very Nice moment and unselfish gesture on Buerhles part. Too bad noone in the media talked about it .......... at least WE noticed :smile:
That's because we care.

The media is shallow and only cares about its image and what bandwagon it can jump on next.

Keep fighting - the Sox will rise gain!

onesox
07-22-2004, 11:27 AM
Actually I heard Murph and Fred talk about it this morning. I missed the game, but heard about that moment on Murph and Fred. Great move by MB, he is on fire right now and his next trip to the bump will be monday night to open the twins' series.....I'll be there

bennyw41
07-22-2004, 11:41 AM
Actually I heard Murph and Fred talk about it this morning. I missed the game, but heard about that moment on Murph and Fred. Great move by MB, he is on fire right now and his next trip to the bump will be monday night to open the twins' series.....I'll be there
No, Hangar would of defitnely reported that.....

HomeFish
07-22-2004, 11:43 AM
that was a Very Nice moment and unselfish gesture on Buerhles part.
Too bad noone in the media talked about it .......... at least WE noticed :smile:

On the front page of Yahoo Sports, the top story was Buerhle's game. They also had a picture which, according to the caption, showed Mark Buerhle celebrating with "James Blake".

ND_Sox_Fan
07-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Burke definitely called that game unless there was a speaker in his helmet. I was watching to see if he was looking over and such, and very rarely did he even look towards the dugout. The camera angle was great last night to be able to see what Jamie was calling. He would put down his fist a second, think about it, and then flash it.

It was great to see him hit and catch so well last night.

Brian26
07-22-2004, 12:16 PM
That's because we care.

The media is shallow and only cares about its image and what bandwagon it can jump on next.

Seriously, WSI in tandem with listening to Willsy on the radio is the only way to get your Sox info. Listening to the Score is a complete waste of time, and I haven't watched any of the talking heads on the local tv channels in YEARS.

As far as I'm concerned, most of these guys get their info from this site anyway.

the_valenstache
07-22-2004, 12:36 PM
In regards to who called the game and who didn't, for what it's worth, the Trib (oh, sorry, Flubune or whatever) had an entire article on Jaime's role in the game last night:

Burke steers Buehrle to near-perfect effort (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-040721soxbrite,1,3935932.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

One quote that made me think it was all Jaime calling the pitches:

Even though Buehrle was throwing the pitches, Burke felt the pressure putting down the signs to aid his efforts.

"My heart was pounding," Burke said. "I had never been in that situation before. I think I caught myself a couple times second-guessing myself. I had to go in and regroup and say 'Hey look, I have I stay with what I've been doing and keeping these guys off-balance.'"

Soxzilla
07-22-2004, 12:51 PM
On the front page of Yahoo Sports, the top story was Buerhle's game. They also had a picture which, according to the caption, showed Mark Buerhle celebrating with "James Blake".
:rolling:

HomeFish
07-22-2004, 12:52 PM
:rolling:

Believe it or not, its still there:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb;_ylc=X3oDMTBpbjllZDY5BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0b g--

OzzieBall2004
07-22-2004, 04:33 PM
It's JAMIE BURKE. Not Jaime, and certainly not James Blake.

And that Yahoo article didnt even mention Burke once...what horrible reporting.

space_monkey
07-22-2004, 04:38 PM
bahaha

RRRRRGHGGHGHGHHGHHHGHHHHH

CMON

the_valenstache
07-22-2004, 04:40 PM
It's JAMIE BURKE. Not Jaime, and certainly not James Blake.

And that Yahoo article didnt even mention Burke once...what horrible reporting.
I'm an English teacher and I'm nowhere near as much of a grammar/spell check nazi as certain people on these boards. Thanks for the help!!

OzzieBall2004
07-22-2004, 05:19 PM
I'm an English teacher and I'm nowhere near as much of a grammar/spell check nazi as certain people on these boards. Thanks for the help!!

Sorry, I can only take so many Burly's and Loiza's and Valentine's. We all clearly watch this team religiously and read about them every day. It boggles my mind how we can't spell their names.

As an english teacher, perhaps you're partly responsible for the downfall of the english language as we know it...

Soxzilla
07-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Sorry, I can only take so many Burly's and Loiza's and Valentine's. We all clearly watch this team religiously and read about them every day. It boggles my mind how we can't spell their names.

As an english teacher, perhaps you're partly responsible for the downfall of the english language as we know it...
:angry: BURN!:angry: