PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Burke

fledgedrallycap
07-22-2004, 09:54 AM
I have been impressed with his play and am beginning to think we can win with a platoon of Alomar and Burke down the stretch.

Throwing around names like a Jason Kendall sounds sexy, but is it really needed at this point? Especially if we must take on a huge contract or give up a boat load of prospects that can be used to obtain bullpen help or bench depth.

Thoughts?

bennyw41
07-22-2004, 09:58 AM
I agree. I would much much much rather have a better bullpen than kendall. Burke is fine. The offense will be okay, its the pitching we need to worry about.

Brian26
07-22-2004, 10:10 AM
At this point, I'm more comfortable with A Burke-Alomar platoon than a Davis-Alomar or Davis-Burke-Alomar platoon.

Maybe Davis will prove us all wrong, but I'm not sure he's going to contribute a whole lot to the team down the stretch.

SoxFan76
07-22-2004, 10:19 AM
As long as they keep calling good games as Burke did last night, I don't care what he does at the plate. Burke and Alomar are solid veteran hitters in that they won't ground into DP's, strike out much, and they know how to hit the ball opposite field. Their numbers won't blow you away, but they are solid.

bennyw41
07-22-2004, 10:26 AM
As long as they keep calling good games as Burke did last night, I don't care what he does at the plate. Burke and Alomar are solid veteran hitters in that they won't ground into DP's, strike out much, and they know how to hit the ball opposite field. Their numbers won't blow you away, but they are solid.
How bout Davis to a team looking for a fresh start at catcher, for a middle reliever.

Kadafi311
07-22-2004, 10:27 AM
I still think it's a little too early to judge Burke...

However, I do like the idea of a 30 something career minor leaguer finally getting his moment in the sun and making the best of it busting his hump every day, it's just a good story :D:

Blob
07-22-2004, 10:27 AM
I agree Burke-Alomar is fine. We need someone in the bullpen more than we need a better catcher.

Davis, I'm not to sure about. He should do a stint in AAA. Maybe he can get some confidence back.

bennyw41
07-22-2004, 10:28 AM
I agree Burke-Alomar is fine. We need someone in the bullpen more than we need a better catcher.

Davis, I'm not to sure about. He should do a stint in AAA. Maybe he can get some confidence back.
Didn't Seattle Try that once and it didn't work?

fledgedrallycap
07-22-2004, 10:31 AM
How bout Davis to a team looking for a fresh start at catcher, for a middle reliever.
He's not worth anything at this point.

Blob
07-22-2004, 10:34 AM
Didn't Seattle Try that once and it didn't work?
It's better than him being up here.

jabrch
07-22-2004, 11:28 AM
I don't mind Burke/Alomar/Davis. It's not going to lose us games. However, if the opportunity to add Kendall and either Benson or Perez materializes, and we can fit it into our salary structure (i.e. Pitt absorbs enough of Kendall's deal) then it makes us stronger for this year AND next year.

hawkjt
07-22-2004, 11:54 AM
It appears that Burke is well-respected by the pitching staff for his calling of the games. That was cool right after the game when Willie handed the ball to Burls and Burls turned right around and gave it to Burke. Burls is a true team player.

I think we can live with our catchers -bullpen is where you win in Sept. Bolster it.

HITMEN OF 77
07-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Alomar is big to this team. Look what he did to help Olivo and now Burke. Also Alomar is producing at the plate and has been the past few years for us. I don't see why we would want Kendall. I'd stick with Burke and Alomar and deffinetly curb Davis.

mrzerofan
07-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Maybe we can make Davis the bullpen catcher and fire Man Soo Lee!

JB98
07-22-2004, 12:53 PM
I'd support the Burke-Alomar combo at catcher at this point. Davis belongs in AAA, and he probably will be if KW can add an arm for the bullpen. We have only three off-days the rest of the season, so I think it would be wise to carry 12 pitchers.

I just hope KW doesn't deal Rowand trying to get a sexy name like Kendall. Crash is the only one on this team capable of playing a solid CF. I'd prefer to have this catching situation and Rowand in CF, as opposed to overpriced Kendall catching and someone with no speed (Everett, Perez) or no arm (Harris) in CF.

Sell Jerry Sell!
07-22-2004, 12:56 PM
I am really happy with the Alomar-Burke combo behind the plate. Go get some bullpen help. If we can learn anything from the cubs it's that you don't need great hitting catchers to go deep into the playoffs. Alomar and Burke are definitely better than Miller and Bako were last year.

Stop floating Perez's name in trade rumors. Pitt is definitely not giving him up. He's young, good and CHEAP, in other words a good fit for them. He was one of the bigger names that San Diego had to give up to get Brian Giles so I doubt they would keep him for a year and then trade him away.

BigEdWalsh
07-22-2004, 01:02 PM
I ranted about Burke taking Maggs' spot on the roster earlier this year. While, I still don't like carrying 3 catchers, I've become a Burke Believer. As backup catchers go, he's a good one. In I think 11 starts he has 3 multiple hit games. Not bad. Defensively, he's certainly adequate. :D:

Ben Davis??? Conjures up memories of Chuck Brinkman. :?:

the_valenstache
07-22-2004, 01:26 PM

Blasphemy!

On a side note, Burke's been the guy that everytime he bloops something into right center or lays one down the line, he gets Hawk to say, suprisedly, "Look at this!" I like him. Not too consistent of a hitter but calls a good game. We could certainly upgrade, but at what cost?

Soxzilla
07-22-2004, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't mind schoe going into the pen.

EDIT - Of course, I'm hinting at getting benson...HINT HINT!:bandance:

Seriously, there is no reason for action jackson to ever be out there....ever. I don't care if we are winning 8-0 against the d-rays...that lead still isn't safe with him out there.
We should go save jim parque from devil rays AAA. Hell, in my videogame he was AAA player of the month...huh? huh?

Yeah.

BUTTER.

jabrch
07-22-2004, 01:40 PM
I sure hope KW and JR have already arranged for Alomar to be a part of this team after his playing career is over. He will, someday, be a manager in this game. Ozzie is here to stay - but Alomar should, soon, be on his staff somewhere.

Sox Mobile
07-22-2004, 02:21 PM
I still think it's a little too early to judge Burke...

However, I do like the idea of a 30 something career minor leaguer finally getting his moment in the sun and making the best of it busting his hump every day, it's just a good story :D:
After game 2 against the Marlins, i joined a small group of fans who were gathered by the White Sox bus. I called out to Burke as he was walking to the bus. He seemed quite surprised to be recognized and came over and signed a ball for me.

He was very polite and pleasant, seems pretty humble. the other fans were saying "who is that?" i answered "this is Jamie Burke, our new catcher!". that brought a small smile from Jamie and he stood and signed more autographs.

BigEdWalsh
07-22-2004, 02:59 PM
After game 2 against the Marlins, i joined a small group of fans who were gathered by the White Sox bus. I called out to Burke as he was walking to the bus. He seemed quite surprised to be recognized and came over and signed a ball for me.

He was very polite and pleasant, seems pretty humble. the other fans were saying "who is that?" i answered "this is Jamie Burke, our new catcher!". that brought a small smile from Jamie and he stood and signed more autographs.
"This is James Blake, our new catcher".:gulp:

SSN721
07-22-2004, 03:25 PM
I am pretty happy with how Burke has worked out, I never though he would contribute as much as he has up until this point. I still woudl like Kendall. But keeping the three headed monster that is our catching situation wont kill the team. Would be nice to upgrade, but if we upgraded pitching I could live with it.

Cubbiesuck13
07-22-2004, 03:51 PM
"This is James Blake, our new catcher".:gulp:
a funny side note, at the AAA mets V. AAA sox game last night Jamie Burke's mug was on the scoreboard as the starting catcher in the second inning. kinda funny that it was on the same night as his best called game.

HITMEN OF 77
07-22-2004, 07:12 PM
That's the job I wanted!!