PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Burls

hawkjt
07-21-2004, 11:02 PM
That was the rare game when a pitcher has all the command of all the pitches in his arsenal. I knew Vizquel was the guy to worry about in the 7th when he got to 3-2 . If he does not get that hit I am sure Burls would have hurled the first perfect game in White Sox history. It is fun to see a guy just working like a machine out there. He must not have been on the field more that 25 minutes out of a 2hr 40 min. game. I would flip when the sox made the third out and when I would flip back to the game the bottom half would be over. Burls would win any speed -pitching contest hands down. 27 guys up 27 guys out. Amazing and the BigUnit was the only guy to do that this season.

oeo
07-21-2004, 11:33 PM
That was the rare game when a pitcher has all the command of all the pitches in his arsenal. I knew Vizquel was the guy to worry about in the 7th when he got to 3-2 . If he does not get that hit I am sure Burls would have hurled the first perfect game in White Sox history. It is fun to see a guy just working like a machine out there. He must not have been on the field more that 25 minutes out of a 2hr 40 min. game. I would flip when the sox made the third out and when I would flip back to the game the bottom half would be over. Burls would win any speed -pitching contest hands down. 27 guys up 27 guys out. Amazing and the BigUnit was the only guy to do that this season.
Fun? I was on the edge of my seat, and couldn't watch half the pitches he threw. It was kind of like deja vu from when Koch would come in, but Buerhle was doing well.

SSN721
07-22-2004, 07:26 AM
It was hard, the funny thing about perfect games, they are hard to enjoy until the final out is recorded, other than that you are always coming up with new ways in your head it can be blown. At first I thought for sure DJ was gonna say something stupid in the booth to break the karma. Then when Burlymon didnt get that call against Vizquel I had a feeling it wasnt gonna last. But it was great to see the guys really busting ass behind him to keep the perfect game alive up until that point. Great job Mark. :supernana:

jabrch
07-22-2004, 07:44 AM
I don't care much for perfect games and no hitters. A lot of that entails adding tremendous luck on top of a sparkling pitching performance. However, I am thrilled about the quality outing Buehrle had today. With him pitching like this, and Garcia looking strong, we have a dangerous 1/2 punch. It's not Pedro/Schilling, but it may be the next best. Mulder/Zito (until Hud gets back) or Vazquez/Lieber (til Brown gets back) aren't better - that's for sure. Add in Esteban, Garland and Scho and our SP is no worse, from top to bottom, than anyone in the AL. We know the offense can score runs, and the D has gotten much better this year. This team has all the pieces in place ([wanny voice]daaaahhhhh, all of the pieces are in place[/wanny voice]) to make a run at it.

elrod
07-22-2004, 08:00 AM
Piece together this dominating performance with Schoeneweis' impressive showing against the powerful Rangers the other night and we have lots to be optimistic about down the stretch. Actually, E-Lo wasn't too bad in Oakland either, with the exception of a stupid pitch to Bobby Crosby. Garland was shaky in Texas but then shut them down too. The key is hitting. We aren't going to score 14 runs a game but if we make sure to get at least 4 runs a game we have a chance to go all the way. And I mean ALL the way.

Fungo
07-22-2004, 08:07 AM
Buehrle threw a masterpiece. That was just fun to watch, plain & simple.

RustyKuntz
07-22-2004, 09:14 AM
An article in the Tribune says Buerhle only threw his cutter 2 or 3 times. I'm amazed he did it all without his "out" pitch.

Way to go, Mark!

Blob
07-22-2004, 09:55 AM
An article in the Tribune says Buerhle only threw his cutter 2 or 3 times. I'm amazed he did it all without his "out" pitch.

Way to go, Mark!
Early in the game Hawk and Dj agreed that if Mark was going to be successful he could not hang on the outside edge all night. Hey, to me, he did a great job of staying out there. He gave them nothing to drive all night. When needed he mixed it up and went inside.

Way to go BURLY-MON!

bobj4400
07-22-2004, 10:01 AM
I was out to dinner for my grandma's 87th birthday, so I didnt get to see much of the game. When I sat down at the table, I knew he was still perfet thru 4, so my cousin and I were checking the updates on our phones every few minutes. Finally we couldnt take it anymore and went to the bar in the restaurant to watch the 6th. We didnt get any volume though. Did DJ/Hawk mention the perfect game at all? Or were they keeping quiet about it like the players usually do?

There was an audible groan that went up throughout the restaurant when Vizquel broke it up. I looked around and most of the guys in the restaurant were either standing around the bar, or peeking over at the tv's from their tables!!!

Railsplitter
07-22-2004, 10:10 AM
If he does not get that hit I am sure Burls would have hurled the first perfect game in White Sox history.
Charley Robertson threw a perfect game for the Sox vs. the Tigers in 1922

Blob
07-22-2004, 10:13 AM
I was out to dinner for my grandma's 87th birthday, so I didnt get to see much of the game. When I sat down at the table, I knew he was still perfet thru 4, so my cousin and I were checking the updates on our phones every few minutes. Finally we couldnt take it anymore and went to the bar in the restaurant to watch the 6th. We didnt get any volume though. Did DJ/Hawk mention the perfect game at all? Or were they keeping quiet about it like the players usually do?

There was an audible groan that went up throughout the restaurant when Vizquel broke it up. I looked around and most of the guys in the restaurant were either standing around the bar, or peeking over at the tv's from their tables!!!They did not come out and say he has a perfect game. But, like most sportscasters they would do the typical that's 18 up and 18 down for Buehrle. Or Buehrle has retired everyone he has faced tonight.

hawkjt
07-22-2004, 10:37 AM
Burls said he threw a change-up for a strike with the first pitch of the game and he knew it would be a good nite. The change seems to be the most devastating pitch when a guy like Santana gets it over. Hope that the sox can figure his out next week. It screwed us up for two weeks last time.