PDA

View Full Version : Is Wildcard a Possibility??

nasox
07-21-2004, 09:46 PM
A few weeks ago, I found myself saying in order to make the playoffs, we must win the division. However, in a few weeks time, we have gone from 4 games back to 1.5 GB. Take a look:
http://http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/standings?type=wild&br=5&year=2004&column=gamesBehind&order=false&st=2

While I agree we have to shoot for winning the division (and I believe we can and will win it), if need be, we could Chase the wildcard come September. I don't think it will be necessary, but, in case the Twins go 69 Mets on us, could we win the wildcard?I think we definitely could.

Comments? Opinions? This thread sucks guys? They would be appreciated.

Jerome
07-21-2004, 09:47 PM
we are only one game out. It is a very real posibility

SoxxoS
07-21-2004, 09:50 PM
I said this at the beginning of the year, as I think we are strong enough to do it. I am not SUPER impressed with any team in the A.L. other than the Yankees. It seems like everyone can beat everyone in the A.L. this year...shoot, Detroit AND Tampa Bay are no gimmies.:o:

munchman33
07-21-2004, 09:50 PM
The guys on Baseball Tonight mentioned this a few nights ago. They said the White Sox and Minnesota were both very good teams and given the rest of the division could very easily both make the playoffs, one as the division winner and the other as the wild card.

voodoochile
07-21-2004, 10:20 PM
A few weeks ago, I found myself saying in order to make the playoffs, we must win the division. However, in a few weeks time, we have gone from 4 games back to 1.5 GB. Take a look:
http://http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/standings?type=wild&br=5&year=2004&column=gamesBehind&order=false&st=2

While I agree we have to shoot for winning the division (and I believe we can and will win it), if need be, we could Chase the wildcard come September. I don't think it will be necessary, but, in case the Twins go 69 Mets on us, could we win the wildcard?I think we definitely could.

Comments? Opinions? This thread sucks guys? They would be appreciated.
Well, you didn't mention this guy... but what the heck...

:threadrules:

I don't see why not. Not like we got spanked by Oakland, lost a tough 4th game or they get a split. Tough road series to start the second half, Sox looked hungover from the break and hadn't picked up Carl yet.

Boston seems a bit fragile to me. We will see how focused they will stay as the Yankees run away with the division.

Sox get to play mostly the ALC from here on out (as it should be) and that means the Carmines are going to have to keep the same pace as the Sox while playing the ALE. Me? I'm much happier playing the Tigers, Tribe and Royals than their schedule...

Jjav829
07-21-2004, 10:23 PM
I still think the Red Sox are gonna go on one big run and take the Wild Card. But for now, screw the Wild Card. Let loser teams like the Cubs focus on the WC. We have bigger things to look at. :smile:

Nick@Nite
07-21-2004, 10:25 PM
As far as I'm concerned, a team making the wild card should only be the by-product of not winning their division.

Teams strive to win their division first... and basically fall into the wild card slot second... imo.

Nellie_Fox
07-22-2004, 12:35 AM
Being the Wild Card is like going to the prom with your cousin. Sure, you're there, and something good might come of it, but still....

doublem23
07-22-2004, 12:40 AM
Being the Wild Card is like going to the prom with your cousin. Sure, you're there, and something good might come of it, but still....
But unlike your scenario, if you win the wildcard and walk away with a nice, big diamond ring, it's not a cultural faux pas. :D:

Nellie_Fox
07-22-2004, 12:48 AM
But unlike your scenario, if you win the wildcard and walk away with a nice, big diamond ring, it's not a cultural faux pas. :D:You see, I will always believe that, after a 162 game season, you should at least win your division to deserve a chance to get the prom queen back to the motel room.

TDog
07-22-2004, 02:50 AM
It is more difficult to win the wild card than to win your division. You don't have to win more games, but you have to compete against more teams to get to the playoffs. If the Central is a two-team race, and the Sox finished behind the Twinks, they likely would have to compete against both the other Sox and the A's and other teams for the wild card. The unbalanced schedule actually makes the process a little unfair, perhaps giving the team in the easier division the advantage, but generally it is a hot team that wins the wild card. It isn't an easy road to get to the playoffs.

voodoochile
07-22-2004, 08:25 AM
You see, I will always believe that, after a 162 game season, you should at least win your division to deserve a chance to get the prom queen back to the motel room.
Assuming you're cousin isn't the prom queen - how can you meet the prom queen and convince her to go back to the motel room with you if you aren't even at the dance?

Obviously, it is better to take the prom queen to the dance in the first place, but if that doesn't happen, take your cousin, then figure it out.

SoxxoS
07-22-2004, 09:16 AM
WSI record for most metaphors used in a thread!!!

I don't care how we get there...if you beat the division champs, then that obviously means you should have been there in the first place.

OEO Magglio
07-22-2004, 09:49 AM
It's to early to think about the wildcard but it is kind of nice to have a chance at it for once. I think eventually the red sox will take over the wc while oakland wins their division but I'll take the sox getting into the playoffs any way possible.

Blob
07-22-2004, 09:50 AM
You see, I will always believe that, after a 162 game season, you should at least win your division to deserve a chance to get the prom queen back to the motel room.A quote from the movie The Rock:

"You're best? Losers always wine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen!"

I would like to see the Sox get in to the playoffs by winning the division. BUT, I will not cry about it if they get in via the WC. Either way, they have to keep winning.

34 Inch Stick
07-22-2004, 09:55 AM
You see, I will always believe that, after a 162 game season, you should at least win your division to deserve a chance to get the prom queen back to the motel room.
However, I'm not too proud to take a fatty in the back seat of the parents station wagon.

Baby Fisk
07-22-2004, 10:00 AM
oh what the hell...

"HOLD MY TROPHY WHILE I **** YOUR GIRLFRIEND."

...oh, as if you guys are making any more sense! :cool:

Railsplitter
07-22-2004, 10:07 AM
Take the division, and you don't have to worry about wild cards.

OEO Magglio
07-22-2004, 10:58 AM
Are we talking about the wildcard or the prom?:dunno: :neener:

ma_deuce
07-22-2004, 11:04 AM
At this point, I can care less how we make it to the post season. As long as we make it, I will be thrilled.

Deuce

mrzerofan
07-22-2004, 12:00 PM
We should just stop talking about the world series of poker and cards :D: and focus on baseball.

nasox
07-22-2004, 01:16 PM
My, My, My....I have created a monster. :smile:

Tragg
07-22-2004, 08:51 PM
The best thing that could happen would be to win the division and have Tex win the west and Oak or Cal or minny be the wildcard. No boston for WC
Texas is so beatable, and I'd prefer to not pay the yanks until we must.
If Boston wins wc, we'll have to play them (pedro twice) or yanks in round 1- no thank you.

soxwon
07-22-2004, 09:01 PM
come on people. we will RUN AWAY with this division.
no question about it.
i guess your still not convinced we are the Best team atleast in the AL.
ive been saying this since middle April.
THIS IS OUR YEAR.
ALL THE WAY
wild card crap!!!
we will win division by 7 or 8 games.
IM CONVINCED we are gonna be in the SERIES
get loud be proud brag alot
we are AMERICAS team.

South Side
07-22-2004, 09:23 PM
The best thing that could happen would be to win the division and have Tex win the west and Oak or Cal or minny be the wildcard. No boston for WC
Texas is so beatable, and I'd prefer to not pay the yanks until we must.
If Boston wins wc, we'll have to play them (pedro twice) or yanks in round 1- no thank you.
I do NOT want Minny in the playoffs.

SOXSINCE'70
07-22-2004, 09:50 PM
As long as Schilling and Pedro are healthy,ESPN windbag Peter Gammons can rest happily knowing his crappy Red Sox will win the wild card.:angry: :angry:

GO OAKLAND!!!
(as long as you're not playing the White Sox,that is).:D: :D:

StrTrkker
07-22-2004, 10:41 PM
As long as Schilling and Pedro are healthy,ESPN windbag Peter Gammons can rest happily knowing his crappy Red Sox will win the wild card.:angry: :angry:

GO OAKLAND!!!
(as long as you're not playing the White Sox,that is).:D: :D:
I though the crappy Cubs was his team?

Oh well...either one isnt going anywhere so he may as pick a 3rd crappy team.

He probably like the Twinkies too. Figures....he a Ding Dong with his Ho-Ho predictions.

nasox
07-23-2004, 11:32 PM
Thought I'd bring this back to say, we are now in sole possesion of the wildcard:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/standings?type=wild&br=5&year=2004&column=gamesBehind&order=false&st=2

:smile: