PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox vs. 'Toons 7/21 Blowout Post-Game Thread

elrod
07-21-2004, 08:46 PM
The most impressive victory all year. Period. Buehrle makes mincemeat out of the hottest hitting team in baseball and our lineup demolishes a dominating Cliff Lee. The Tribe may be stick around the rest of the year. But knowing we just went into their house and annihilated them this way will sit in the back of both team's collective minds for the rest of the year.

What's the last time a White Sox pitcher faced the minimum?

RKMeibalane
07-21-2004, 08:47 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/daver/darth.jpg

"...the power of the South Side."

HomeFish
07-21-2004, 08:47 PM
Buehrle's ERA went from 4.12 to 3.86 tonight. Somewhat impressive.

I still don't understand the Ordoņez HBP. I know the Indians are a young, trash-talking team, but that was just stupid.

Nard
07-21-2004, 08:49 PM
All I saw was the live boxscore.

Maggs's HBP was intentional?

How about the other two? Were they intentional?

HomeFish
07-21-2004, 08:50 PM

Well, the catcher was setting up directly behind Magglio. Draw your own conclusions.

Aidan
07-21-2004, 08:52 PM
All I saw was the live boxscore.

How about the other two? Were they intentional?Only Magg's HBP was intentional. Robertson was frustrated and knew he couldn't get him out so he beaned him instead of pitching to him.
Well, the catcher was setting up directly behind Magglio. Draw your own conclusions.Yep.

Frater Perdurabo
07-21-2004, 08:52 PM
What's the latest on reports of a Lee injury?

In any case, the outburst sets the tone for tomorrow's game, which can only be a positive.

Now, let's just hope they can keep producing, and that the Twins lose tonight.

:supernana:

Blob
07-21-2004, 08:54 PM
I'm sure Freddy told them to save some for him tomorrow!

Great game tonight!

SOXPHILE
07-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Buehrle's ERA went from 4.12 to 3.86 tonight. Somewhat impressive.

I still don't understand the Ordoņez HBP. I know the Indians are a young, trash-talking team, but that was just stupid.

True. I think it was intentional though. Lee was getting knocked around, and it was the only way he could get back at the them, dumb as that sounds. My only question is, when he hit him and got tossed, and the fans were cheering, were they cheering because he hit a Sox player, or because he was finally out of the game ?

RKMeibalane
07-21-2004, 08:55 PM
The Twins are leading the D-Rays 9-2 in the fifth. Ugh!

owensmouth
07-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Let's see, what's there to be negative about? Buehrle didn't get enough strikeouts. Paulie didn't slide. Magglio got thrown out at second. Uribe and Willie combined for zero hits. And the White Sox vaunted relievers didn't retire anyone.

NAAAAAHHHHHH

Awlrite Freddie, you know what you gotta do tomorrow

Frankfan4life
07-21-2004, 08:59 PM
I know a lot of people are disappointed that Buehrle did not get the perfect game or the no-hitter. I wish he would have gotten the perfect game or the no-no too, but getting the win, in very impressive fashion too, is the most important thing.

Today Buehrle showed everybody that he can pitch (and without resorting to all kinds of drama like you know who). All I want from him is to keep up this kind of pitching the rest of the season.

Nice job White Sox! Now, please do this again tomorrow.

The Wimperoo
07-21-2004, 09:01 PM
True. I think it was intentional though. Lee was getting knocked around, and it was the only way he could get back at the them, dumb as that sounds. My only question is, when he hit him and got tossed, and the fans were cheering, were they cheering because he hit a Sox player, or because he was finally out of the game ?
Lee didn't even hit him. Robertson did. I still don't think he was trying to bean him with an 0-2 count, but who cares. The Indians are a bunch of tools. Maybe Matt Lawton will shut his mouth now.

South Side
07-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Getting A LOT of coverage on Baseball Tonight! :o:
So far, we've been referred to as "a great team" and " a dangerous dangerous team"

oeo
07-21-2004, 09:04 PM
Nice job White Sox! Now, please do this again tomorrow.
Yes, please, please, please do it two nights in a row.

SOXPHILE
All I wanna know is, who was that guy wearing the #24 Sox jersey, who got two hits, and what has he done with Joe Crede ?:D:

Aidan
Buerhle just got a 2 hit shutout against the #1 offense in all of baseball! Let's show the Indians who has the real #1 offense tomorrow!

fquaye149
07-21-2004, 09:05 PM
they like us! they really like us!

and anyone who thinks carl was a bad acquisition, it really isn't too early for you to eat your words. sample size, shmaple size. . .talk about IMMEDIATE results.

oeo
07-21-2004, 09:05 PM
Getting A LOT of coverage on Baseball Tonight! :o:
So far, we've been referred to as "a great team" and " a dangerous dangerous team"
Also Rowand got recognition from Gammons I think it was for how well he has been doing lately

Aidan
07-21-2004, 09:09 PM
they like us! they really like us!

and anyone who thinks carl was a bad acquisition, it really isn't too early for you to eat your words. sample size, shmaple size. . .talk about IMMEDIATE results.Agreed. Carl is hitting .364 in a White Sox uniform so far. Only 3 games but definately immediate results.

SOXPHILE
07-21-2004, 09:09 PM
Also Rowand got recognition from Gammons I think it was for how well he has been doing lately

:boston "He's doing good now, but once he has to face Boston's pitching, he will be exposed as a second rate hitter."

Aidan
07-21-2004, 09:13 PM
:boston
"...and the Cubs are still going to win the N.L Central so we [I] can see what we all [I] want to see...
A CUBS/RED SOX WORLD SERIES!!!"

RKMeibalane
07-21-2004, 09:16 PM
:boston
"...and the Cubs are still going to win the N.L Central so we [I] can see what we all [I] want to see...
A CUBS vs. RED SOX WORLD SERIES!!!"
I don't think it's even possible for that World Series to take place. The world would end the moment the first pitch was thrown.

Aidan
07-21-2004, 09:18 PM
I don't think it's even possible for that World Series to take place. The world would end the moment the first pitch was thrown.Yes, Armageddon would be going down at game time.

Unregistered
07-21-2004, 09:18 PM
Lee didn't even hit him. Robertson did. I still don't think he was trying to bean him with an 0-2 count, but who cares. The Indians are a bunch of tools. Maybe Matt Lawton will shut his mouth now. As I was watching the Cleveland feed, I don't think it was intentional for a couple reasons: 1. The announcers were kind of upset that he got tossed, mainly cause they were arguing that there is no way Robertson was trying to hit him on purpose, because 2. Apparently their bullpen has been worked fairly hard lately and they needed Robertson to stay in a pitch a few innings, shaky as they were.

The announcers didn't try to defend him purposely hitting anyone, and you could kind of see Robertson's expression when he got tossed - arms up like "I'm all over the plate tonight - I was just trying to throw inside, not hit the guy."

Just my reaction.

Unregistered
07-21-2004, 09:20 PM
Buerhle just got a 2 hit shutout against the #1 offense in all of baseball! Let's show the Indians who has the real #1 offense tomorrow! Wait, so the 14 runs we scored today wasn't enough to "show" them? :smile:

Aidan
07-21-2004, 09:21 PM
Wait, so the 14 runs we scored today wasn't enough to "show" them? :smile:Agreed, but the Indians are still statistically the #1 offense in all of baseball.

jabrch
07-21-2004, 09:22 PM
Agreed, but the Indians are still statistically the #1 offense in all of baseball.
Would you rather have their offense or ours?

Aidan
07-21-2004, 09:24 PM
Would you rather have their offense or ours?Of course not, but I wouldn't mind having a few of their young players. They are pretty stacked for the future.

jabrch
07-21-2004, 09:26 PM
Of course not, but I wouldn't mind having a few of their young players. They are pretty stacked for the future.
True dat.

kcsportscaster
07-21-2004, 09:30 PM
That had to have been the best game pitched by any Sox starter all year. Even after only seeing highlights on Baseball Tonight, Buehrle mowed down a half decent team with relative ease. Still don't think he's an All-Star, Joe F. Torre???? I thought before the game that the offense wouldn't be able to do too much with Lee tonight, but they tatooed him early and often. Also, yeah, I saw Robertson throw at Maggs. His little punk ass should get a minimum five game suspension for that junk, especially with DA SOX pounding him as much as they did Lee!!!! How about a little retalliation by Garcia tomorrow night???? More importantly, how about finishing off the Indians and making them walk away with their tails between their legs!!!!

Aidan
07-21-2004, 09:38 PM
Some guy just called into The Score and said Aaron Rowand was the White Sox only 5-tool player. :o: He's probably right.
That had to have been the best game pitched by any Sox starter all year. Even after only seeing highlights on Baseball Tonight, Buehrle mowed down a half decent team with relative ease. Still don't think he's an All-Star, Joe F. Torre???? I thought before the game that the offense wouldn't be able to do too much with Lee tonight, but they tatooed him early and often. Also, yeah, I saw Robertson throw at Maggs. His little punk ass should get a minimum five game suspension for that junk, especially with DA SOX pounding him as much as they did Lee!!!! How about a little retalliation by Garcia tomorrow night???? More importantly, how about finishing off the Indians and making them walk away with their tails between their legs!!!!I think we would all agree that Buehrle deserved to be at the All-Star Game instead of Loaiza and Paulie should have been there as well. Buerhle isn't considered an ace by many and gets no fame simply because he isn't a strikeout pitcher.

SpringfldFan
07-21-2004, 09:50 PM
Agreed, but the Indians are still statistically the #1 offense in all of baseball.
The Indians? What do you mean? I thought Texas was the number one offense! If not Texas, certainly the Yankees!

RKMeibalane
07-21-2004, 09:56 PM
Some guy just called into The Score and said Aaron Rowand was the White Sox only 5-tool player. :o: He's probably right.
I think we would all agree that Buehrle deserved to be at the All-Star Game instead of Loaiza and Paulie should have been there as well. Buerhle isn't considered an ace by many and gets no fame simply because he isn't a strikeout pitcher.If that's the case, then why does the national media still fawn over Greg Maddux? He's not a strike-out pitcher, either, nor has he ever been. Yet, you'd think that Maddux could walk on water the way some people talk about him. The man is one of the greatest pitchers in baseball history, but sheesh...

Aidan
07-21-2004, 10:04 PM
White Sox are headlined as "White Hot!" over at ESPN...
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/index
The Indians? What do you mean? I thought Texas was the number one offense! If not Texas, certainly the Yankees!Cleveland is #1, Texas is #2, Yankees are #3, and we are now #5...
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/aggregate?statType=batting&group=9
Pretty sick that we have to play the top two offensive teams back-to-back.
If that's the case, then why does the national media still fawn over Greg Maddux? He's not a strike-out pitcher, either, nor has he ever been. Yet, you'd think that Maddux could walk on water the way some people talk about him. The man is one of the greatest pitchers in baseball history, but sheesh...I don't know. Maybe the media loves him because he comes across as a nice guy. He will be all over the news soon because he is 3 wins away from 300 career wins. If he didn't have a 3 foot wide strike zone he wouldn't have any where near that many wins.

idseer
07-21-2004, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=Aidan]
Cleveland is #1, Texas is #2, Yankees are #3, and we are now #5...
QUOTE]

sox have 23 fewer runs ...BUT ..... with over 200 fewer ab's than cleveland.

mealfred13
07-21-2004, 10:09 PM
White Sox are headlined as "White Hot!" over at ESPN...
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/index
Cleveland is #1, Texas is #2, Yankees are #3, and we are now #5...
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/aggregate?statType=batting&group=9
Pretty sick that we have to play the top two offensive teams back-to-back.
I don't know. Maybe the media loves him because he comes across as a nice guy. He will be all over the news soon because he is 3 wins away from 300 career wins. If he didn't have a 3 foot wide strike zone he wouldn't have any where near that many wins.
Everyone should check out that first link, some pretty funny stuff coming from the Cleveland players...

34rancher
07-21-2004, 10:32 PM
He will be all over the news soon because he is 3 wins away from 300 career wins. If he didn't have a 3 foot wide strike zone he wouldn't have any where near that many wins.

He wouldn't be close to 200 wins if he had stayed with the northsiders.

TornLabrum
07-21-2004, 10:49 PM
Only Magg's HBP was intentional. Robertson was frustrated and knew he couldn't get him out so he beaned him instead of pitching to him.
Yep.
He wasn't beaned. Your HEAD is your bean. A beaning is throwing at the head.

SoxOnTop
07-21-2004, 10:49 PM
Some guy just called into The Score and said Aaron Rowand was the White Sox only 5-tool player. :o:

I am certainly and FOC, but I'm not ready to call him a 5 tool player. That's a little more than a reach.

Kogs35
07-21-2004, 11:46 PM
You got to give ur Props to Jamie Burke tonight. and hes lucky Burly didn't get the perfect game. i don't think he could afford getting him the gold watch, or a car

ode to veeck
07-22-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by Aidan
<...> Buerhle isn't considered an ace by many and gets no fame simply because he isn't a strikeout pitcher.

Don't look now, but Burly-mon is 6th in the AL with 105 SOs.

Aidan
07-22-2004, 12:25 AM
Don't look now, but Burly-mon is 6th in the AL with 105 SOs.I know that, you know that, but the rest of the baseball world unfortunately does not. Although, this season Buehrle's strikeout numbers are alot higher than they have been in previous seasons.

doublem23
07-22-2004, 12:26 AM
I'd like to point out that we did well tonight and there is a substantial drop-off in total posts. :)

:burly
Where's your All-Stars now, Cleveland?

FarWestChicago
07-22-2004, 12:31 AM
I'd like to point out that we did well tonight and there is a substantial drop-off in total posts.Of course, it was a tough night for the depressoids. Too bad. :violin:

JB98
07-22-2004, 12:52 AM
Of course, it was a tough night for the depressoids. Too bad. :violin:
I know my volume of posting is down tonight due to the lack of people arguing that we need more bunting by our power hitters. When Carlos hit that monster shot in the third inning, I was enraged. After Magglio led off with a single, Carlos should have bunted. We need to play more small ball, you know?:tongue: :D:

Great job, Buerhle!!!!

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

flo-B-flo
07-22-2004, 01:18 AM
Lee didn't even hit him. Robertson did. I still don't think he was trying to bean him with an 0-2 count, but who cares. The Indians are a bunch of tools. Maybe Matt Lawton will shut his mouth now. A bunch of young guys got their asses handed to them. They got more than a litle frustrated.:wink:

flo-B-flo
07-22-2004, 01:22 AM
I'd like to point out that we did well tonight and there is a substantial drop-off in total posts. :)

:burly
Where's your All-Stars now, Cleveland? Our lack of representation on the all-astar team. Pretty good reason to kill the Injuns. No? GO-GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evman5
07-22-2004, 01:44 AM
If we don't go out there and beat them again tomorrow than we didn't gain a thing. If we want to get serious we are going to have to start winning some series on the road and kick butt in our division.

SSN721
07-22-2004, 06:25 AM
I am still mad about Burlymon not getting that call on the 2-2 count on Vizquel for the K right before he got the hit. Argh. But hey, he still faced the minimum, you cant ask for a better performance then we saw tonight. Great to see Lee on complete fire and jacking up his power numbers. Everyone did their job perfectly last night (cept for that terrible Valentin bunt in the first). I was ecstatic. We dont need 14 runs, but I would really love for this team to slap around CC tonight. I am sick of him owning the Sox. Otherwise, happy days. :bandance:

BigEdWalsh
07-22-2004, 07:43 AM
I know my volume of posting is down tonight due to the lack of people arguing that we need more bunting by our power hitters. When Carlos hit that monster shot in the third inning, I was enraged. After Magglio led off with a single, Carlos should have bunted. We need to play more small ball, you know?:tongue: :D:

HaHaHaHaHaHA!! :rolling:
HaHaHaHaHaHA!!:rolling:
:kneeslap:
If Jose hadn't popped up that bunt I bet the Sox would have won 23-0!!
HaHaHaHaHaHA!!:rolling:
Where are you smallball freaks now?!
:supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

Maximo
07-22-2004, 08:43 AM
Best thing about tonite is that the Sox made a "statement" to the "upstart" Indians. "Don't care how well you've been hitting or if your pitcher has our number.......we're plain and simple, better than you.

In season's past, when they needed to make that kind of statement to someone........they usually failed.