PDA

View Full Version : Albert Pujols: The New Frank Thomas?

RKMeibalane
07-21-2004, 08:39 PM
For the past few years, WSI posters have speculated on whether we would see a player post offensive numbers similar to those that Frank Thomas has during the course of his career on the South Side. The threads usually looked something like this:

WSI User: Is (insert player's name here) the new Frank Thomas? He's been having a great year. We might be seeing the second coming of the Big Hurt.

PaleHoseGeorge: To be perfectly honest with you, I would be surprised if (player) can put up numbers that even approach the kinds of statistics that Frank Thomas has compiled. (Player) is having a great season, but until he can do this for seven or eight years straight, I'm not interested in hearing any Frank Thomas comparisons.

Now, given what I have just posted, I would like everyone to at least consider what Albert Pujols has done to this point in his career. Like Frank Thomas, Pujols has shown the ability to hit for average and power. He has managed to both score and drive in well over one hundred runs during each full season he has been in the big leagues. The only thing he has not done as often as Thomas is draw walks. However, he has been much more patient this season, and is on pace to draw over ninety walks.

If Pujols is able to reach the 100-walk mark, he will have posted his first Frank-like season. There is no reason he can't do it again. So, I ask again, is it possible that Albert Pujols is the closest thing to Frank Thomas, other than the Big Hurt himself, in baseball right now?

Vsahajpal
07-21-2004, 08:50 PM
He's better than Thomas, I think. Bonds, Ramirez, and Pujols are the best hitters in baseball. I thought it was pretty amazing Baby Bull had 6 consecutive 1.000+ OPS seasons until I saw that Bonds has 13 consecutive...

Yomarei
07-21-2004, 08:59 PM
He's better than Thomas, I think. Bonds, Ramirez, and Pujols are the best hitters in baseball. I thought it was pretty amazing Baby Bull had 6 consecutive 1.000+ OPS seasons until I saw that Bonds has 13 consecutive...1. Pujols generates more batspeed than Frank ever did.
2. Pujols is a better "money" hitter - Frank's walks are nice, but Pujols's RBI-generating homers are nicer.
3. Pujols will be a much better defensive 1B and is faster on the base-pads.

Having said that, Frank used to be every bit as good as Pujols in early-mid-90's when the pitching wasn't quite as diluted and strike-zone - not quite as microscopic. Difficult to compare to just 10-12 years ago. Frank also played in one of the best pitcher's parks in the majors.

As far as Bonds...steroids forever tarnish his legacy. What he did in 2000-2004 doesn't even count in my book - I evaluate him strictly on his 1990's production....which still makes him one of the greatest players ever, just not the play station scary as he is now.

OurBitchinMinny
07-22-2004, 12:52 AM
Pujols is on pace to be way better for thomas. Thomas isnt even a for sure first ballot HOFer (although I think he is).

SOXSINCE'70
07-22-2004, 07:29 AM
My answer: YES!!

I never thought i'd see a hitter as smart as "The Big Hurt".From '91 to '97,his numbers were mind boggling.Pitchers who dared to pitch him inside paid the price as he'd wind up hitting a double or a homer to right or right center field.Pujols is one of the few i've seen do this with the same regularity as Thomas.

Basebalalldatime
07-24-2004, 11:07 AM
:bandance: Come on now! When Big Frank was in his prime he probally was the best hitter in the game. He did things that no one else had ever done. When he first came up, he new the strike zone better then anyone else. The guy had back to back MVP's. As in Most Valuble Player. I'm saying they probably are the equal when The Hurt is having a year like he did when he first came up.

Bonds
Many
Pojols
Thomas
Vad
Are probably the best hitters in the game as right now

:cool: :supernana: :gulp: :dtroll: