PDA

View Full Version : Premature Optimism

HomeFish
07-21-2004, 03:01 PM
Much as the Cub fans at the begining of the season assumed that the regular season would be a mere formality to crown them champions, many posters here now believe that the rest of the regular season is a mere formality that will crown the accursed ones as a disapointing non-playoff team.

By doing so, you risk looking as stupid as the Cub "fans" now look. While the Cub does not have much chance to win the NL Central, it is still just a few games out from the Wild Card. Their team looks pathetic now, but if they so much as get into the postseason they will become immediate favorites due to their pitching staff. Perhaps we will once again get lucky and see them defeated; or, perhaps, our worst nightmare will come true. I do not really want to think about it at this point. But we must not pretend that it can no longer happen.

The Cub has several series left against other Wildcard teams; San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles, Florida, perhaps Philadelphia. If they do poorly in these series, then and only then can celebration be justified, and that does not take into account the possiblity of them doing well in September because of their easy schedule. The Reds are playing over their heads, as are the Brewers. It would be beautiful if they continued to beat the Chicago National League club, but I do not think the chances are good.

They still have a very dangerous team; we cannot underestimate it.

HomeFish
07-21-2004, 03:06 PM
In other news, Second-Place Reds 2, Cubs 0, top of three. Both runs were driven in by our good friend D'Angelo Jimenez.

He's hitting .271 this year. Not bad.

StrTrkker
07-21-2004, 03:20 PM
Much as the Cub fans at the begining of the season assumed that the regular season would be a mere formality to crown them champions, many posters here now believe that the rest of the regular season is a mere formality that will crown the accursed ones as a disapointing non-playoff team.

By doing so, you risk looking as stupid as the Cub "fans" now look. While the Cub does not have much chance to win the NL Central, it is still just a few games out from the Wild Card. Their team looks pathetic now, but if they so much as get into the postseason they will become immediate favorites due to their pitching staff. Perhaps we will once again get lucky and see them defeated; or, perhaps, our worst nightmare will come true. I do not really want to think about it at this point. But we must not pretend that it can no longer happen.

The Cub has several series left against other Wildcard teams; San Francisco, San Diego, Los Angeles, Florida, perhaps Philadelphia. If they do poorly in these series, then and only then can celebration be justified, and that does not take into account the possiblity of them doing well in September because of their easy schedule. The Reds are playing over their heads, as are the Brewers. It would be beautiful if they continued to beat the Chicago National League club, but I do not think the chances are good.

They still have a very dangerous team; we cannot underestimate it.
You know....Last year when the Cubs won I was like...Ok they are playing good baseball and looks like they may wind up going to the series. I wasnt into like an Anti-Cub mode. This year....with all the Chicago media and national news attention to the Cubs (& Red Sox for that matter) made me more bitter and angry at the media and Scrubs fans that I get absolute joy watching their team fall apart like their beloved Wriggle Field.

Division champs are outta the question and Wild Card....I seriously doubt it. They will be lucky to make .500 if the trend continues.

Ahhhhh....how sweet it is.

Maximo
07-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Yeah....but the mean ol' teacher is out of the room for a minute so let's raise some hell until she gets back.

Point being....you pick your spots when you can. As someone who has despised the Cubs for 40+ years, I'm not going to not enjoy this moment because it looks like they'll be the favorites again next year or in 2018.

VaSoxfan
07-21-2004, 05:01 PM
The Cubs have problems, pure and simple. True they are only 3 back in the wild-card race but not long ago they were the front runners. And they have tons of competiton in this race.

Cincy, SD, and SF are ahead of them. They are tied with Philly. Milwaukee, Florida, the Mets and Astros are all within 4 games of the Cubs in the WC race. Even the Bucs are just 5 back of the Cubs in the WC race. Really only Colorado, Montreal, and Arizona are out of it in the NL.

The Cubs need lots of things to happen to make the playoffs at this point...and it doesn't look good for them...morale is down, they are whining and acting like childish morons...and not playing good baseball...unless their offense gets a major kick start, they aren't going to win anything no matter how healthy their pitching staff is. Too many other good teams in the race. True, there is a long way to go...but they've got problems big time.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-21-2004, 05:15 PM
The Cubs have problems, pure and simple. True they are only 3 back in the wild-card race but not long ago they were the front runners. And they have tons of competiton in this race....
BINGO! It's not important that the Flubs aren't within striking distance of the wild card slot. What is important is that the competition the Flubs face for that last playoff spot is very deep and practically unpredictable.

The only way to win the wild-card is to get red hot. That's because you have to beat out all the other also-rans from 3 different divisions, but you also have to be better than any of the current division leaders that might slip back into the wild-card spot, too.

It's a bitch to win that thing, in some respects a lot harder than winning the division. It's utterly dumb for the Lovable Losers to begin focusing on winning the wild card in July. Too much can happen to ruin their chances. Of course the alternative is to focus on trying to catch St. Louis for the division crown, and that is even more dumb.

Well, I guess we can all laugh about Flubs fans trying to figure out what is dumb and what is dumber. Here's the correct answer: being a Cubs fan is dumbest of all.

:gulp:

HomeFish
07-21-2004, 05:39 PM
The mighty Reds have fallen today. The Cub is back in second and now may be only 2 games out of the WC.

mcfish
07-21-2004, 05:49 PM
The mighty Reds have fallen today. The Cub is back in second and now may be only 2 games out of the WC.
Remember, they play 9 innings in the majors now. Score is 5-4 in the top of the 8th.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-21-2004, 05:51 PM
The Flubs have a better chance finishing the season under .500 than wild card winner. :rolleyes:

Meixner007
07-21-2004, 06:35 PM
I never really suffered from premature optimism...it was moreso her suffering...oh wait...premature optimism...whoops

VaSoxfan
07-21-2004, 11:10 PM
Gasp!! Oh no! Guess the Cubs are out of the woods huh? They might have won but so did STL again...and the Astros, Padres or Giants (pending their game) Mets, Phillies and Pirates all kept pace as well.

There are too many teams fighting for that slot...the Cubs need to go on a really long hot streak to put any distance between the rest and I can't see that happening...too many holes. And too much competition. Even if some teams they are fighting with for that WC slot lose, some are bound to win just by sheer numbers of teams still in it.

Sure the Cubs can still make it but they have dug themselves a huge hole.