PDA

View Full Version : The Land of Oz

CubsSuckMySox182
07-21-2004, 12:36 PM
I was just wondering what everyones take is on Ozzie. I think he's one of the greatest thing to happen to the Sox in the past few years. One of my favorite things he's said so far is, "I can be the nicest guy around, or I can be the biggest prick in baseball." That really does describe his personality. I think he's doing something that no one's done for the Sox in a while...He's making them work. I think he's really pulled the team together and given them more enthusiasm and will to win. I know alot of people that aren't to enthused about his rough in your face attitude, but I think it's just what the Sox need. Recently, Tony LaRussa (one of the best managers in baseball in my opinion), said that Ozzie Guillen is the second smartest guy, when it comes to baseball, that's ever played for him (Pujols being the smartest). I think that's a pretty big honor coming from the man who led us to a clinche in 83' by twenty games. I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks of Ozzie...

Jacqueline

oeo
07-21-2004, 12:44 PM
I love the Oz.

But one thing, the best thing he has ever said is, "Winning is fun, and fun is winning." :roflmao:

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-21-2004, 01:21 PM
I was just wondering what everyones take is on Ozzie. I think he's one of the greatest thing to happen to the Sox in the past few years. One of my favorite things he's said so far is, "I can be the nicest guy around, or I can be the biggest prick in baseball." That really does describe his personality. I think he's doing something that no one's done for the Sox in a while...He's making them work. I think he's really pulled the team together and given them more enthusiasm and will to win. I know alot of people that aren't to enthused about his rough in your face attitude, but I think it's just what the Sox need. Recently, Tony LaRussa (one of the best managers in baseball in my opinion), said that Ozzie Guillen is the second smartest guy, when it comes to baseball, that's ever played for him (Pujols being the smartest). I think that's a pretty big honor coming from the man who led us to a clinche in 83' by twenty games. I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks of Ozzie...

Jacqueline
Ozzie is Awsome. He was my idol when i was little when he was playing on the sox. We (my family) used to go to alot of sox games in the 90's. Those were some good times. Personally, i think oz is doing a great job of managing. (excluding yesterday)

Blob
07-21-2004, 01:57 PM
Yesterday there was a thread about who do you think is the MVP of the Sox. I picked Ozzie. He has pulled the team together really well. They have rebounded nicely since the days of JM.

If only he could find a way to get them out of their current funk and quick!

fuzzy_patters
07-21-2004, 02:40 PM

Jacqueline
What do I think of Ozzie? Let me put it this way, when I was a kid I named my dog Ozzie Guillen. Ozzie Guillen and Harold Baines are White Sox baseball as far as I'm concerned, so I am thrilled with this coaching staff.

fledgedrallycap
07-21-2004, 02:50 PM
I love Ozzie and feel the White Sox are heading in the right direction with celebrating the traditions and heritage of the White Sox.

However, I certainly feel we could use a little bit more of the small-ball mentality that he was declaring coming into camp (Paulie in the 8th last night - :whiner: ). Plus, the team looks to have lost a little bit of it's aggressivness on the base paths.

With that said, he has done a very good job and he will be in our dugout for a very long time.

TomParrish79
07-21-2004, 03:28 PM
I agree Ozzie is the best thing to happen to the Sox.

Jerome
07-21-2004, 04:10 PM
He has done a way better job than JM, thats for sure. Last year the Sox had more talent and played an easy schedule the whole first half of the year. Also, Ozzie handles pitchers better.

BigEdWalsh
07-21-2004, 04:17 PM
Ozzie was one of my favorite players in the 80's-90's. He reminded me of my all-time favorite, Louie Aparicio.

When I heard he was selected to be the Sox' manager I was a little worried if he was what was needed due to his lack of managerial experience. He has been thus far, very good and will probably improve with age. Right now, I hope he'll be here a long, long time.:D:

OzzieBall2004
07-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Do I like Ozzie. Of course, you'd be crazy not to. But putting everything in perspective, we're not in first, and can be close to third if we allow CLE to get the better of us here. These final 2 months will determine just how good of a manager Ozzie is. He's already proven to have a wonderful baseball mind, he's good with the players, he's enthusiastic, he had a great career, and he's a fan favorite. So he has all the makings of a successful big league manager, he just needs to get the success part nailed down in these next 2+ months.

idseer
07-21-2004, 05:46 PM
i like oz. but, in addition to the good thigs he brings, he has made some boneheaded moves this year. we'll know more next year when we see if he learns from his rookie mistakes.

kojak
07-21-2004, 06:05 PM
I love Ozzie. Someday soon, he will lead us to the Promised Land. It may not be this year, or even next, but I feel like- well, to quote George McFly "He is our density!"

the_valenstache
07-21-2004, 06:08 PM
This is one of many reasons I love Ozzie.

From the Daily Southtown

Bad blood brewing?

The lineup card the Sox turned in Monday night — with small pictures of the players and their e-mail addresses included — didn't bring a smile to the face of Texas manager Buck Showalter. And the way Guillen talked about it Tuesday, the two won't be having dinner together anytime soon.

The card was made as a joke because Showalter has a reputation for being overly organized. But Guillen said Showalter was yelling toward the Sox dugout during Monday's game after Everett swung at a 3-0 pitch with the Sox leading 10-4 in the seventh inning.

"That's right, he's a genius," Guillen said sarcastically. "He should worry about managing his own team." The Rangers are one of the surprise teams in baseball this season, as they lead the American League West.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/211sd5.htm

BarbG
07-21-2004, 06:20 PM
I love Ozzie. (And not just because he used to live in Berwyn...)

I was so disgusted/disillusioned with the whole game the last few years both because of the strikes, whiny players, and negative media garbage I swore I was done for good.

Then I heard Ozzie was coming back, managing. Besides the nostalgia of seeing him, Harold Baines, Joey Cora, Greg Walker together - he is doing a kick-ass job.

SOXSINCE'70
07-21-2004, 08:18 PM
I love the Oz.

But one thing, the best thing he has ever said is, "Winning is fun, and fun is winning." :roflmao:I always rhought there was a "g" on fun.What do you expect when your field manager sounds like Al Pacino in "Scarface"??:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

"Fung is winning and winning is fung".:D: :D: :D:

SOXSINCE'70
07-21-2004, 08:22 PM
That is a classic!!:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

fledgedrallycap
07-22-2004, 09:18 AM
God to I love Oz, from today's southtown:

This was the kind of message Ozzie Guillen was hired to deliver.

With a streak of 22 consecutive games against AL Central rivals over the next 23 days beginning, the White Sox manager picked Wednesday to deliver it.

In a meeting with a group of veteran players — including reliever Mike Jackson, shortstop Jose Valentin, outfielder Magglio Ordonez and first baseman Paul Konerko —Guillen issued a challenge before Wednesday night's game against Cleveland.

"To me, now it's time for the veteran players to step up and tell the kids, teach them how to play the game," Guillen said. "Go there and do the right things to win games. Because from now on, it's not about stats, it's not about money, it's about winning. If we don't do those things, no matter how much talent or what people (general manager) Kenny Williams brings in, we're not going to win."

Guillen had been out of the Sox organization since 1997 before being named manager this offseason, but from the outside he saw a team that had plenty of talent that underachieved down the stretch runs of recent seasons.

As far as Guillen is concerned, that trend ends now.

"It's time for them to show up as a team," he said. "Think about every day what they can do to win this game, and what they can do to win the next game. That has to be every day. ... Every game, from now until the World Series is going to be a heck of a game, tough game."

Williams has acquired pitcher Freddy Garcia to shore up the starting rotation and veteran switch-hitter Carl Everett to help fill the void created by Frank Thomas' absence (stress fracture in left foot).

Now it's up to Guillen, his coaching staff and the players to get it done on the field.

"This thing can be the only opportunity they have to be in the playoffs because we're there," Guillen said. " 'Don't let them take it away from you guys.' Some guys might not have another chance to win. They never know. If you have a chance, take it if you can. "Kenny Williams and (board chairman) Jerry (Reinsdorf) showed you what they want to do. ... We brought in people who can help us. Now go do it. Get the job done."

CubsSuckMySox182
07-22-2004, 09:35 AM
I love Ozzie. (And not just because he used to live in Berwyn...)

I was so disgusted/disillusioned with the whole game the last few years both because of the strikes, whiny players, and negative media garbage I swore I was done for good.

Then I heard Ozzie was coming back, managing. Besides the nostalgia of seeing him, Harold Baines, Joey Cora, Greg Walker together - he is doing a kick-ass job.
HOLD THE PHONE! Ozzie used to live in Berwyn?!?!?!?! I live in Berwyn...What area is he from?!?!

Blob
07-22-2004, 09:39 AM

The lineup card the Sox turned in Monday night — with small pictures of the players and their e-mail addresses included — didn't bring a smile to the face of Texas manager Buck Showalter.

I did not hear about that. Very funny Ozzie!

SSN721
07-22-2004, 10:38 AM
That was a great speech. Despite some bonehead moves he has made the way he invigorated this team has more than made up for it in my opinion. ALthough I am not positive about this year, I just feel that with the coaching staff and the core of players we will retain he will lead us to something more then a division championship.