PDA

View Full Version : Getting a little restless here.

DaveIsHere
07-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Ok, I am usually pretty positive for the most part, but I have a bad feeling about the next couple weeks as we play against teams in our division. Yes Cleveland and Detroit are looking good, but we should be able to beat them, afterall we are the best in our division, right?? There doesn't seem to be that fire that the guys had before the break, hopefully this is something that Ozzie can remedy. We are really getting some poor situational hitting as of late. Our pitching hasn't been too bad (nevermind Marte last night), our offense just doesn't look like there are comfortable at all. I really hope we go on a run here soon, because we really need it. I need some comfort.:(:

The Tom
07-21-2004, 10:50 AM
I concur. We NEED to go on a run of the next couple of weeks and put some distance between us and the rest of the central. The problem is, I'm not sure it's going to happen, and the reason is our offense of all things. We rely to much on the home run. The only way to win consistantly is to be able to play small ball. But in order to play small ball, you have to get hits throughout the lineup. At this point, the bottom of our lineup isnt producing. Last night, there were NO hits from 6-9. The top of our lineup is doing much either, but since miggy is gone and crede continues to struggle, there isn't a consistent hitter after the sixth guy. There are just too many automatic outs in our lineup. Uribe, Catcher, and Crede. Harris and Timo are almost on the same boat. Valentin is also a poor second hitter. He hits a lot of home runs, but he K's a lot and doesnt get on base much. The best lineup would be Harris, Rowand, Ordonez, Lee, Konerko, Crede, Valentin, Uribe, and Catcher. If Uribe or Cred can start hitting again, I think we'll be alright. Also, Buehrle and Garcia are our only reliable starters. You never know which Garland is going to show up, Loaiza just isn't as good as we hoped he'd be, and Schoenweis just in good period. Garland really needs to step up and be the guy we've envisioned him.

SOXSINCE'70
07-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Ok, I am usually pretty positive for the most part, but I have a bad feeling about the next couple weeks as we play against teams in our division. Yes Cleveland and Detroit are looking good, but we should be able to beat them, afterall we are the best in our division, right?? There doesn't seem to be that fire that the guys had before the break, hopefully this is something that Ozzie can remedy. We are really getting some poor situational hitting as of late. Our pitching hasn't been too bad (nevermind Marte last night), our offense just doesn't look like there are comfortable at all. I really hope we go on a run here soon, because we really need it. I need some comfort.:(:
I share that feeling,Dave.I hope this isn't what Terry Boers refers
to as "Uh-oh time".The Sox can ill afford mental lapses these next 22 games.

The Tom
07-21-2004, 11:01 AM
The best lineup would be Harris, Rowand, Ordonez, Lee, Konerko, Crede, Valentin, Uribe, and Catcher.

This was my fault, I completely left out Crazy Carl. The best lineup will be Harris/Uribe platoon, Rowand, Ordonez, Lee, Konerko, Crede, Everett, Valentin, Catcher. I think Crede should be move up in the lineup. Putting big bats like Everett and Valentin should give him more pitches to hit.

AnkleSox
07-21-2004, 11:05 AM
I think the fate of the sox relies on at least one more big move by KW...

Sox Mobile
07-21-2004, 11:11 AM
The last month has been a combo of no luck, bad luck and sheer luck.

its no wonder we are on the edge of our collective seats!

But today im forgetting stats, averages, and second guessings.

We have the worst behind us, time to shine in our division.

This is what we have been looking forward to!

GO SOX! PLAY BALL!!

Fungo
07-21-2004, 11:36 AM
With all that's going on on the northside of town with the team tanking, players loosing their cool and the fans calling into sports radio jumping ship, the White Sox have a real chance to grab a real hold on the Chicago baseball world if they can get on a nice run for at least the next 20 days or so.

WSox8404
07-21-2004, 11:44 AM
We could honestly use a 7 to 10 game winning streak. We haven't had a long streak all year, and I think it is about time. That would solve many of our woes.

PorkChopExpress
07-21-2004, 11:49 AM
We could honestly use a 7 to 10 game winning streak. We haven't had a long streak all year, and I think it is about time. That would solve many of our woes.
I agree, but I just don't see this team pulling this off right now with the way they are playing. When we started this year, Ozzie had a plan, and it seemed to be working. That plan of small-ball, grinding, etc. has dissipated and we have fallen back on the long-ball. We are not going to be getting a ton of long balls with Lee and Sabathia in the next two days, so we better revert to that team we saw early in the season and get some wins.

WhiteSoxFan84
07-21-2004, 11:55 AM
August 3 - August 12
7 games vs. KC, 4 vs. CLE, all but 3 of the KC games are at home. We can easily win at least 6 in a row, sweep KC at least once if not twice. The 4-game series maybe a little tough because we will probably face Zach Greinke and that can flatout pitch. The Indians playing us at the Cell will be a test of whether we are for real, mentally, or not.

Clarkdog
07-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Regardless of the ups and down nature of our team right now - I still feel okay moving into this long stretch of games against divisional opponents. The loss last night was tough - and for everyone looking to blame Damaso - the game was on PK's bat in the eight. But Ozzie made a decision - opting to let him swing away over bunting the runners over. It is natural to have that decision second guessed. To me it was a coin flip, take the bat out of your best RBI man's hands and move the runners over and hope Ross Gload will get one in, or let Konerko try and drive the run in himself.

Tough choice. But when you think about it - the decision he made was completely in character with how Ozzie has managed all along. He has unwavering belief in these guys. He had the confidence and believed that Konerko would drive that run. Having him bunt (or pinch bunting for him) - does not convey that belief and confidence. It's essentially saying to PK - Ross Gload is a better situational hitter than you. And we all know that is not true. That confidence and belief is the difference between Ozzie and Manuel.

Marte's loss came from Chad Allen beating him and coaxing the walk- he had a great at bat. He gets Allen and likely the game goes on to the ninth tied. Barajas was beat on that pitch but somehow managed to gork it over the infield. It happens.

BTW, Texas has only lost 13 times at home (second only to the Yankees) so I am happy with the split and the way we came back and were in a position to win the game (in only briefly) even in a losing effort.

I like the fact that Willie is back at the top of the lineup. Uribe might get the nod tonight and tommorrow. But Willie looks confident again, and he is not swinging at pitcher's pitches. He may get the ring up on calls on the edges, but it looks like he has an approach and is sticking to it. A good thing.

Which is more than you can say for Crede. He looks clueless right now. Either he should heed some advice from Walker and shorten his swing and look to make contact instead of crushing every pitch, or sit down. Honestly, an infield of Uribe, Valentin, Harris and Konerko could work.

Last, I think KW has one more deal left. I think he recognizes that this team could use help at catcher, or in the bullpen. He'll get it done.

The sky is not falling. It's just cloudy right now. All will be well. Stay confident in this team. Remember 1983. This team is capable of that type of run. And we're only .5 game out of first.

Win1ForMe
07-21-2004, 12:53 PM
The only thing making me restless is Maggs and his knee condition. I hope he can stay healthy.

samram
07-21-2004, 12:59 PM
I said back in a postgame thread a while back that this team didn't have a long winning streak in it. That was before they got Freddy, but the offense is too inconsistent, and Loaiza and Schoeneweis are really unpredictable. However, they are 16-8 against the division, and that's who they're playing for the next three weeks or so. If Maggs is back in the lineup tonight (which he should be, even if as the DH, because Everett can handle a small RF in Cleveland), I think the offense will come out and hit. They have their two best pitchers going, but so do the Sox, and hopefully the Sox will send the message to Cleveland that they're not ready to contend yet.

soxfan45
07-21-2004, 01:02 PM
I think that you are right on about not being worried. Of course
I only feel that way because we are in such a mediocre division.

Last night Konerko play really killed me. I know that Pauly isn't
a bunter, but I just keep thinking that if we are to ever get involved
in post season, we have to demand that our players execute bunts.
(or at least try) I wouldn't have cared so much to see Konerko
pop the bunt up or K on failed execution, but at least we would
have "tried" to do the right thing. I'm not 2nd guessing Ozzie more
than I'm trying to get it through these guys heads (mags, pauly,
carlos, everett) that they will have to bunt.

I'm just afraid if we don't start trying to practice "playoff type"
execution in the regular season that our guys will just get blown
out by an execution team.

SoxFan76
07-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Regardless of the ups and down nature of our team right now - I still feel okay moving into this long stretch of games against divisional opponents. The loss last night was tough - and for everyone looking to blame Damaso - the game was on PK's bat in the eight. But Ozzie made a decision - opting to let him swing away over bunting the runners over. It is natural to have that decision second guessed. To me it was a coin flip, take the bat out of your best RBI man's hands and move the runners over and hope Ross Gload will get one in, or let Konerko try and drive the run in himself.

Tough choice. But when you think about it - the decision he made was completely in character with how Ozzie has managed all along. He has unwavering belief in these guys. He had the confidence and believed that Konerko would drive that run. Having him bunt (or pinch bunting for him) - does not convey that belief and confidence. It's essentially saying to PK - Ross Gload is a better situational hitter than you. And we all know that is not true. That confidence and belief is the difference between Ozzie and Manuel.

Marte's loss came from Chad Allen beating him and coaxing the walk- he had a great at bat. He gets Allen and likely the game goes on to the ninth tied. Barajas was beat on that pitch but somehow managed to gork it over the infield. It happens.

BTW, Texas has only lost 13 times at home (second only to the Yankees) so I am happy with the split and the way we came back and were in a position to win the game (in only briefly) even in a losing effort.

I like the fact that Willie is back at the top of the lineup. Uribe might get the nod tonight and tommorrow. But Willie looks confident again, and he is not swinging at pitcher's pitches. He may get the ring up on calls on the edges, but it looks like he has an approach and is sticking to it. A good thing.

Which is more than you can say for Crede. He looks clueless right now. Either he should heed some advice from Walker and shorten his swing and look to make contact instead of crushing every pitch, or sit down. Honestly, an infield of Uribe, Valentin, Harris and Konerko could work.

Last, I think KW has one more deal left. I think he recognizes that this team could use help at catcher, or in the bullpen. He'll get it done.

The sky is not falling. It's just cloudy right now. All will be well. Stay confident in this team. Remember 1983. This team is capable of that type of run. And we're only .5 game out of first.
We need more fans like you. Good job.

jabrch
07-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Not only do I think KW has at least one more deal left in him this year, I think it is a BIG one. A HUGE imapact deal. Might be Kendall. Might be Beltran. Might be someone we aren't thinking of. But I think he has a big move left.

Win1ForMe
07-21-2004, 01:14 PM
I think that you are right on about not being worried. Of course
I only feel that way because we are in such a mediocre division.

Last night Konerko play really killed me. I know that Pauly isn't
a bunter, but I just keep thinking that if we are to ever get involved
in post season, we have to demand that our players execute bunts.
(or at least try) I wouldn't have cared so much to see Konerko
pop the bunt up or K on failed execution, but at least we would
have "tried" to do the right thing. I'm not 2nd guessing Ozzie more
than I'm trying to get it through these guys heads (mags, pauly,
carlos, everett) that they will have to bunt.

I'm just afraid if we don't start trying to practice "playoff type"
execution in the regular season that our guys will just get blown
out by an execution team.I honestly think there's no way you can ask Konerko to bunt in that situation (he's 3rd in HR in the AL !!). But I guess you also have to trust him not to be a complete dumb*** and hit into a DP. Yesterday's mistake was on Konerko (pulling the ball on a bad pitch) and not Ozzie's mistake.

Mickster
07-21-2004, 01:21 PM
Not only do I think KW has at least one more deal left in him this year, I think it is a BIG one. A HUGE imapact deal. Might be Kendall. Might be Beltran. Might be someone we aren't thinking of. But I think he has a big move left.
I agree. When KW goes silent (no radio, no print, etc...) then he's cooking something up. He went 2 weeks with no comments prior to Garcia.

TommyJohn
07-21-2004, 01:32 PM
I have a bad feeling about it, too. I hope they prove me wrong, but I have
seen too many Sox seasons (1977, 1983, 1990, 1993 etc.) to ever hope for
the best. And then there's years like 1964 and 1967, before I was born. This
team just doesn't seem to be very good. Close to first, but for how long? I
do hope they get it, but....then if they do, there's the playoffs. (2000-can
you say best record in AL; can you say sneeringly dismissed even before
the postseason, then fulfilling all expectations?)

Then again, when it comes to the White Sox, I don't view the glass as
half-empty. I see it as completely empty. Only this year, I promise I
won't have a nuclear meltdown at the end of the season.

samram
07-21-2004, 01:32 PM
I agree. When KW goes silent (no radio, no print, etc...) then he's cooking something up. He went 2 weeks with no comments prior to Garcia.
That could be. One name I thought of that could possibly fit is Craig Biggio. I know he has played his entire career with Houston, and he may not want to leave. However, he is cheap ($3M this year with a team option for $5M next year), and he could leadoff and play second, which I think would be beneficial for the Sox. He's hitting .304 with 14 HRs. The Sox could perhaps agree not to exercise the option so he could go back to the Astros next year, but I don't think they would ask for a ton for him. Now, if they could get Beltran with him, that would be a major deal.