PDA

View Full Version : Fisk on Garland

gosox41
07-21-2004, 08:08 AM
IN today's Trib, the alleged sports writer Steve Rosenbloom had an interview with Fisk. This is what he said on Garland:

"That Garland, he suprises me. He should be a dominating pitcher. I don't know whether he doesn't really know how to get guys out."

I always believed Garland was the potential to be an ace and refer to him as Judy when he pitches badly. Something tells me if Fisk were his catcher, Garland would be putting up better numbers.

The rest of the intervierw is good to. I don't have a link, though. I'm one of the few who read the actual paper.

Bob

Fisk72
07-21-2004, 08:17 AM
Below should be the link to all of Rosenbloom's "Out Loud" interviews. As of right now, it looks like the Fisk interview is not linked. Perhaps later today or tomorrow. For the most part, I like these interviews, although they seem to be too much "cut and paste" and don't seem to flow that well. I did REALLY enjoy today's though - it was definitely a nice suprise, considering last night's collapse. I've been a Fisk fan my whole life and appreciated all of the hard work and dedication he gave to the Sox. He was a true gamer and you don't see much of that anymore. I've actually wanted to send a letter of appreciation to him but don't even know where I would send it. Any ideas?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-rosenbloomoutloudgallery,1,4982595.storygallery?co ll=cs-columnists-utility

Iguana775
07-21-2004, 08:20 AM
IN today's Trib, the alleged sports writer Steve Rosenbloom had an interview with Fisk. This is what he said on Garland:

"That Garland, he suprises me. He should be a dominating pitcher. I don't know whether he doesn't really know how to get guys out."

I always believed Garland was the potential to be an ace and refer to him as Judy when he pitches badly. Something tells me if Fisk were his catcher, Garland would be putting up better numbers.

The rest of the intervierw is good to. I don't have a link, though. I'm one of the few who read the actual paper.

Bob
I wish Fisk would be hired as a bench coach. :thud:

gosox41
07-21-2004, 08:22 AM
Me too. I don't know if you read the interview or not. But at the beinning he said something about it taking a lot more then Ozzie just asking him to come in and coach.

I'd want Fisk there for his intensity. If anyone can get Garland on track he can.

Bob

BigEdWalsh
07-21-2004, 08:31 AM
I think that would be a great thing for the Sox, but doubt very much it'll ever happen.....:yoohoo: Jerry???

Fisk72
07-21-2004, 08:52 AM
I think that would be a great thing for the Sox, but doubt very much it'll ever happen.....:yoohoo: Jerry???
I believe the "problem" is Jerry himself. I highly doubt there would be any professional relationship between Fisk and the Sox while Jerry's running the show. I'm not exactly sure where this exactly fits in comparison to Yogi's once-broken relationship with then Yanks. As a fan, though, I do hope for some sort of burrying of the hachet.

ewokpelts
07-21-2004, 09:25 AM
I believe the "problem" is Jerry himself. I highly doubt there would be any professional relationship between Fisk and the Sox while Jerry's running the show. I'm not exactly sure where this exactly fits in comparison to Yogi's once-broken relationship with then Yanks. As a fan, though, I do hope for some sort of burrying of the hachet.Jerry'll have to apologize. And that's something that wont happen. I think Carlton wants to work with ozzie, it's just that he's been at odds with management since hawk was gm.
gene

Dice
07-21-2004, 10:16 AM
'Judy' Garland either needs to straighten up or ship out. I'm getting tired of his inconsistency. He's had enough time to prove himself and hasn't shown jacks*it. Three full major league seasons and not 1 winning year! MY GOD! Even Kip Wells had a winning season with a 10-9 record with the Pirates of all teams!

The Sox should be looking to trade him in the off-season.

CanOfCorn
07-21-2004, 12:05 PM
One thing I always keep in mind is the fact that we got Jon for Matt Karchner and hosed the Cubbies big-time.

npdempse
07-21-2004, 12:10 PM
I believe the "problem" is Jerry himself. I highly doubt there would be any professional relationship between Fisk and the Sox while Jerry's running the show. I'm not exactly sure where this exactly fits in comparison to Yogi's once-broken relationship with then Yanks. As a fan, though, I do hope for some sort of burrying of the hachet.
There must be some kind of reconciliation going on--Fisk's been at the park several times in the last couple of seasons. I'd be so much happier to see him sitting next to Ozzie than Harold (nothing against Harold, it just seems that Fisk's got to have one of the best baseball minds there is).

jeremyb1
07-21-2004, 01:42 PM
'Judy' Garland either needs to straighten up or ship out. I'm getting tired of his inconsistency. He's had enough time to prove himself and hasn't shown jacks*it. Three full major league seasons and not 1 winning year! MY GOD! Even Kip Wells had a winning season with a 10-9 record with the Pirates of all teams!

The Sox should be looking to trade him in the off-season.

If we had Prior and his ERA was only 3.8 when with his potential it could be 3.0 would you make demeaning remarks about him and insisnt on trading him also? Garland is an above average starter and has outperformed Schoeneweis and Loaiza - our All Star rep - this season. Why don't we trade one of them?

As far as Garland's lack of dominance goes, the problem from what I can tell is that he doesn't strike out enough guys. 4.6 K/9 is only good if you're really stingy with your walks and home runs which Garland is not. As good as everyone claims his stuff is, I'm not sure why he doesn't K more hitters but this is nothing new. He's never K'd more than 5.5 guys per inning in the majors and the most guys he ever struck out in the minors was 84 in 119 IP in Winston Salem as a 20 year old five years ago. I'm not sure if the quality of his stuff is consistently overrated, if he just needs to add another pitch or somehow change speeds to keep guys more off balance, or if the coaching staff has told him to work on putting the ball in play.

Win1ForMe
07-21-2004, 02:03 PM
When I first read the Garland/Rowand to Arizona rumors I thought to myself how the Sox should hang on to Jon (he's young and we still control him for the next 2 years). But now I'm not so sure, and it's not because I think he's a bad pitcher.

Jon Garland, with his 12 wins and mid-4 ERA is a good pitcher if he's making $350 K a year, or even the $2.3 M he received in arbitration this year. Next year, however, he's likely to net somewhere in between $4-5 M. Now, wouldn't the Sox be better off trading Garland and adding a $2-3 M to that allotment and go after a #2 starter like Carl Pavano? So if the Sox hang onto him during this year, and can go sign a starter in free agency, I wouldn't mind dealing Garland in the off-season. (Obviously if they traded for Johnson, they wouldn't be able to spend money on pitching).

Just something to think about.

JDP
07-21-2004, 02:32 PM
Does anyone realize that Jon Garland has 2 complete games in a career 113 starts and 698 IP??

Hangar18
07-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Didnt we RUN FISK OUT OF TOWN ? when I say We, I mean Jerry Reinsdorf.
I think the Best job he did as a Catcher teaching pitchers was 1990.
He was amazing ..........Many times he'd go to the mound and you could see
him yelling/talking/soothing the pitchers .......

iwcup
07-21-2004, 02:58 PM
Didnt we RUN FISK OUT OF TOWN ? when I say We, I mean Jerry Reinsdorf.
I think the Best job he did as a Catcher teaching pitchers was 1990.
He was amazing ..........Many times he'd go to the mound and you could see
him yelling/talking/soothing the pitchers .......
not only did we(jerry) run him out of town, hell we cut/waived/fired him out of town as well....

Dice
07-21-2004, 03:07 PM
If we had Prior and his ERA was only 3.8 when with his potential it could be 3.0 would you make demeaning remarks about him and insisnt on trading him also? Garland is an above average starter and has outperformed Schoeneweis and Loaiza - our All Star rep - this season. Why don't we trade one of them?

As far as Garland's lack of dominance goes, the problem from what I can tell is that he doesn't strike out enough guys. 4.6 K/9 is only good if you're really stingy with your walks and home runs which Garland is not. As good as everyone claims his stuff is, I'm not sure why he doesn't K more hitters but this is nothing new. He's never K'd more than 5.5 guys per inning in the majors and the most guys he ever struck out in the minors was 84 in 119 IP in Winston Salem as a 20 year old five years ago. I'm not sure if the quality of his stuff is consistently overrated, if he just needs to add another pitch or somehow change speeds to keep guys more off balance, or if the coaching staff has told him to work on putting the ball in play.If we had Prior this wouldn't even be a discussion. Just for amusement, if we did have Prior and he had a 3.80 ERA then NO I would not trade him. BUT a 3.80 ERA for Prior is a down year for a guy of his talent. A 3.80 ERA is a career year for Garland, considering his career 4.60 ERA. Why am I sitting here comparing Garland and Prior?:?: All I want is Garland to have an ERA below 4.00 and have a winning record for a season. Is it that much to ask for? I don't care if he had a 13-12 record with an ERA of 3.99. A record like that would be an improvement for Garland.

What pisses me off about Garland is the lapses and loss of focus he has in a game. I don't have a problem with the loss of focus concept itself but when it happens. Almost all players go though it in a course of a game but when he gets himself in trouble you can rest assured that the opposing team is about to open the flood gates. For some strange reason I'm starting to think that Jerry knew what he was doing when he pulled Garland out early in games.

samram
07-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Does anyone realize that Jon Garland has 2 complete games in a career 113 starts and 698 IP??
Some of that can be blamed on Manuel, since he pulled Garland if anyone got on starting in the sixth inning. I'm not saying he could have finished those games, but he was never given a chance to work even out of minor trouble after the fifth.

steff
07-21-2004, 04:42 PM
There must be some kind of reconciliation going on--Fisk's been at the park several times in the last couple of seasons. I'd be so much happier to see him sitting next to Ozzie than Harold (nothing against Harold, it just seems that Fisk's got to have one of the best baseball minds there is).

Nope. No reconcilliation.

Also, Lip, I didn't forget about you. I see him on August 6th and I'll let you know what he says.

Baby Fisk
07-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Nope. No reconcilliation.
:whiner:

flo-B-flo
07-22-2004, 01:25 PM
There must be some kind of reconciliation going on--Fisk's been at the park several times in the last couple of seasons. I'd be so much happier to see him sitting next to Ozzie than Harold (nothing against Harold, it just seems that Fisk's got to have one of the best baseball minds there is). Yea 'nothing against Harold'. Fisk was the pick for bench coach. he's forgotten more baseball than Baines, Hawk, And Reinsdorf combined. What is it with Riensdorf that he freezes out stars (ie. Jordan, Fisk) after they retire and can be huge assets to the organizations? Just more crap piled on Riensdorf legacy of mismanagement.:angry: