PDA

View Full Version : BJ LaMura

hose
07-21-2004, 06:14 AM
Has anyone seen BJ LaMura pitch? I noticed he has a high K rate down in Birmingham and I can't recall his background.

hose
07-21-2004, 05:45 PM
1-1-81
6-1 200 throws right
selected in the 5th round June 2002
attended Clemson ...recorded more k's than IP in 3 straight years...was rated #3 HS prospect in NY and among top 100 prospects in the nation in 1999.
2002 Bristol
2003 Kannapolis
Winston-Salem
2004 WS
Birmingham

professionalfan
07-22-2004, 06:32 PM
Although BJ did not have a great ERA in Winston, since being called up to Birmingham, he has looked solid. In his start the other day when he gave up 4 ER in I think 3 innings, he was told right before the game that he was going to start. Out of the bullpen, BJ has been outstanding.

Fernandez
08-26-2005, 10:01 AM
went to high school with BJ. Played ball with him from a young age, he has always been a dominant strike out pitcher.

veeter
08-26-2005, 11:35 AM
He also pitched in the big league camp this spring and looked good. Hawk seemed to like him.

mac9001
08-26-2005, 12:04 PM
I believe LaMura features a mid-90s fastball (i've heard he's top out around 97) and a slider. His stuff is good, his control is abysmal. From what i heard about him is he dosen't trust his stuff and nitpicks on the corners; leading to many walks. At 24 years old he needs to show some results or he won't be a prospect for long.

diamondkings29
08-26-2005, 01:56 PM
I heard from a former teammate that BJ throws 88-92 with the wind at his back. If he throws 97, then I throw 107.

I been to dinner with him before and he is a decent guy. If he throws 97, then they bring him up regardless of control.....Look at Kyle Farnsworth......

Randar68
08-26-2005, 02:12 PM
I heard from a former teammate that BJ throws 88-92 with the wind at his back. If he throws 97, then I throw 107.

I been to dinner with him before and he is a decent guy. If he throws 97, then they bring him up regardless of control.....Look at Kyle Farnsworth......

Brian Miller throws 95, haven't ya heard?

mac9001
08-26-2005, 02:12 PM

A guy over a soxtalk.com goes to every Barons game and said he's seen BJ hit 97 on the gun at the Met this year.

Clembasbal
08-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Anybody that attended Clemson is a god in my book!

CallMeNuts
08-28-2005, 09:58 AM

After doing the math, that means you're saying that YOU throw 98-102. Are you Bobby Jenks?

maurice
08-31-2005, 03:53 PM
BJ throws 88-92 with the wind at his back. If he throws 97, then I throw 107.

This is correct.

I also heard rumors that he was a hard thrower, but that's bunk. His fastball is nowhere near 97. More like 87. He K's guys by changing speeds: 87 fastball, 77 breaking ball, and low-70s change.

The gun I saw may be off by a couple of MPH . . . but it's not off by 10 MPH.

diamondkings29
09-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Anyone who knows the facts is aware that the Birmingham radar gun on the big screen in RF is way off. Pitchers do not get accurate readings from that location-Nor do they even look at it since they are aware of the discrepency.

bhamfan
09-06-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm just starting to follow Lamura, so my question is: will he be returning to Birmingham next year? Or is there a chance he'll end up in Chicago? I can't seem to get much info from the people around here I talk to... you guys are a much more knowledgable source. Thanks.

Randar68
09-06-2005, 11:41 PM
Anyone who knows the facts is aware that the Birmingham radar gun on the big screen in RF is way off. Pitchers do not get accurate readings from that location-Nor do they even look at it since they are aware of the discrepency.

He doesn't hit 90 on the gun the pitchers charting the game use either. Are those off as well?

Rex Hudler
09-06-2005, 11:52 PM

It's 3-4 mph slow when the pitch is below 90. When it is above 90, it is 1-3 mph and gets more accurate the harder the pitcher throws. It's not that hard to factor the difference.

I have seen Lamura in the 92-93 range. I don't recall him being much higher than that, but he may hit 94-95 on occasion. I have only seen him a handful of times this year, so most of my memory is based on last year.

He has a nice arm, but is a fringe prospect at best.

Fernandez
09-17-2005, 10:43 AM
All of you guys need to stop bein so critical. are any of you pitching in the minors right now? I think not. And i highly doubt that any of you can hit 75 on the gun but it doesnt stop you from bashing him. He throws hard, he strikes people out. Abysmal control? Once again stop being critical. He will make it to Chicago. So instead of nit picking him, why dont you get behind the kid and show some support.

Mr. White Sox
09-17-2005, 12:08 PM
All of you guys need to stop bein so critical. are any of you pitching in the minors right now? I think not. And i highly doubt that any of you can hit 75 on the gun but it doesnt stop you from bashing him. He throws hard, he strikes people out. Abysmal control? Once again stop being critical. He will make it to Chicago. So instead of nit picking him, why dont you get behind the kid and show some support.

I can hit 75 :wink:...

The reason why people critique prospects is to find out their legitimate shot at making the big leagues. The only way to do that, obviously, is to "scout" them. There's a reason why-if I ever joined a minor league team (which I won't)-I won't go anywhere, but there's also a reason why the hundreds of guys that can hit 93-94 don't go anywhere either. Nobody has a personal vendetta against BJ I'm sure, but they're just wondering what his real chances are at making the team in the future.

I'm sure that BJ, among virtually every other baseball player at any level in the last sixty or seventy years, has been criticized sometime in his lifetime about his baseball talents. He'll get over it or he won't, but the critiques won't ever stop until he throws a perfect game in the world series.

BigHurtRules
09-17-2005, 05:24 PM

The reason why people critique prospects is to find out their legitimate shot at making the big leagues. The only way to do that, obviously, is to "scout" them. There's a reason why-if I ever joined a minor league team (which I won't)-I won't go anywhere, but there's also a reason why the hundreds of guys that can hit 93-94 don't go anywhere either. Nobody has a personal vendetta against BJ I'm sure, but they're just wondering what his real chances are at making the team in the future.

I'm sure that BJ, among virtually every other baseball player at any level in the last sixty or seventy years, has been criticized sometime in his lifetime about his baseball talents. He'll get over it or he won't, but the critiques won't ever stop until he throws a perfect game in the world series.

I can hit 80...from 45 feet away.:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

rdivaldi
09-17-2005, 11:10 PM

The reason why people critique prospects is to find out their legitimate shot at making the big leagues. The only way to do that, obviously, is to "scout" them.

It also makes us better fans. If you didn't have guys going to minor league games and actually analyzing the prospects, we'd get our hopes up for every Joe-Shmoe that put up good numbers. You should be thankful of the job that Randar, maurice, and others do on this board.

Fernandez
09-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Understood that you have to scout him, but there are 4 people gettin different stories on speeds. so how good could these fan scoutings be. Not to say i am being one-sided because I know the kid, but from what I have seen and know about him, he has the talent, the drive, and the skills to be effective out of the bullpen. IF the Sox use him like that they will see what I have been saying. Until then tho, I am a fan in NY tracking my boy.

maurice
09-19-2005, 01:58 PM
I certainly didn't bash him. In fact, I complimented him the last time I saw him pitch and posted here that he's good at striking guys out by changing speeds. That's unusual for a guy his age.

If anything, I was critical of reports that he throws 97. He doesn't. Every 1st-hand report in this thread says that he throws between 87 and 93, and that the stadium gun is unreliable. (Significantly, not everybody is relying on the stadium gun.)

The discussion certainly is relevant for the purposes of this board. As Randar implied, we went through the same thing with Brian Miller, who ended up being released despite (false) reports from BA that he had a big arm and threw "easy heat."

diamondkings29
09-21-2005, 01:28 PM
I didn't bash him either. I think he is a nice guy, went to dinner with him last year when I was in BHam. You just need to realize the famous quote that Todd Hundly said....."They don't give out big league contracts for being a nice guy". The big league side fields their best 9, not best 9 projected.

I think BJ will maybe get a cup of coffee, but we all know that the Sox do not have a history of bringing up good middle relievers....Look at Josh Fields.....case and point.

He may break through with another team faster than the Sox, that is all I am saying.

I know all about rooting for your boy, we all do that for our own picks, but KW doesn't care who is friends with who....

bhamfan
09-22-2005, 06:39 PM
I personally appreciate all the prospectives on Lamura's chances. I'm rooting for him too Fernandez. :smile:

So my question is, what happens to Lamura now that the Barons' season is over?

rdivaldi
07-23-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm going to bring back this Lamura thread in case anyone wants to know about the guy we just traded.