PDA

View Full Version : Scout Questions Part 2

The Tom
07-20-2004, 03:02 PM
What's the take on Sweeney. He is absolutely tearing the cover off the ball at Winston Salem since the CL All-Star game. Is he simply hot at the moment and proving he belongs in High A?, OR has he turned a developmental corner and taken his game to the next level? Either way, his overall showing this year boads well for the future. Only 19, playing all year for the first time, and skipping straight to High-A. That's pretty impressive isn't it? What is his ceiling and what kind of defense does he play? How fast will he move through the system? (Maybe AA next year)

rdivaldi
07-20-2004, 03:33 PM
What's the take on Sweeney. He is absolutely tearing the cover off the ball at Winston Salem since the CL All-Star game. Is he simply hot at the moment and proving he belongs in High A?, OR has he turned a developmental corner and taken his game to the next level? Either way, his overall showing this year boads well for the future. Only 19, playing all year for the first time, and skipping straight to High-A. That's pretty impressive isn't it? What is his ceiling and what kind of defense does he play? How fast will he move through the system? (Maybe AA next year)
What Sweeney is doing is remarkable. We're talking about a 19 year old kid who played in the Midwest producing against guys 3-4 years older than him in his first full year of pro ball. I doubt he will get the call to AA, but you bet he is ticketed for Birmingham next year. There's nothing really this kid can't do. He's got decent speed, a killer arm in the outfield, and can flat out hit. His biggest deficiency right now is a lack of power, but that might come along as he matures. His plate discipline is pretty average, but I'll give him some leeway as he is only 19 years old.

Daver
07-20-2004, 05:18 PM
What Sweeney is doing is remarkable. We're talking about a 19 year old kid who played in the Midwest producing against guys 3-4 years older than him in his first full year of pro ball. I doubt he will get the call to AA, but you bet he is ticketed for Birmingham next year. There's nothing really this kid can't do. He's got decent speed, a killer arm in the outfield, and can flat out hit. His biggest deficiency right now is a lack of power, but that might come along as he matures. His plate discipline is pretty average, but I'll give him some leeway as he is only 19 years old.
He'd be a better releiver than Mike Jackson right now also.

jeremyb1
07-21-2004, 01:34 AM

I agree it's his age that's most impressive. While his stats aren't much to look at, there aren't too many 19 year olds that can achieve what he has at high A. If he can keep it up and holds his own at AA next season I'll be quite happy.

The Tom
07-21-2004, 11:10 AM
He's only hit five home runs this summer and his slugging percentage is low, but he's SOOO young. Also, he's hit a ton of doubles. Doesn't hitting a lot of doubles usually project future power for young hitters? Also, he doesnt walk much, but he doesn't strike out all that much. He just puts the ball in play a lot.

Randar68
07-21-2004, 11:24 AM
He's only hit five home runs this summer and his slugging percentage is low, but he's SOOO young. Also, he's hit a ton of doubles. Doesn't hitting a lot of doubles usually project future power for young hitters? Also, he doesnt walk much, but he doesn't strike out all that much. He just puts the ball in play a lot.Yes. One thing that is hardest to project is who will develop legit power. How long have teams been waiting for Eurubiel Durazo to develop the power they all thought he once would? Doubles, for younger players, is usually a very good indication of future power. Sweeney has had a very low SLG% for most of the season, but recently has started to hit the ball a little harder. Casey Rogowski always looked like a HR hitter, but until the past year or so, he, far too often, would just slap the ball. Sweeney does something similar, trying to put the ball in play as often as possible, and it does cost him power at times. He could turn into John Olerud, or he could turn into a 30-40 HR hitter. The kid is bright as a lightbulb and makes adjustments very quickly, he's like a sponge.

I'm still holding firm to my belief that the kid could be a prototype 1B too, rather than OF'er. Anyone who's ever played 3B or SS knows what a benefit to the entire IF-defense it is to be throwing over to a 6'5" guy with some athleticism.

habibharu
07-21-2004, 11:32 AM
I'm still holding firm to my belief that the kid could be a prototype 1B too, rather than OF'er. Anyone who's ever played 3B or SS knows what a benefit to the entire IF-defense it is to be throwing over to a 6'5" guy with some athleticism. that is exactly what i was gonna bring up! with us having good depth at OF(Young, nanita,anderson,spidale,borchard) we should try to convert this guy into a corner infield position, most likely 1b, since that is weak in the system

The Tom
07-21-2004, 11:36 AM
I'm still holding firm to my belief that the kid could be a prototype 1B too, rather than OF'er. Anyone who's ever played 3B or SS knows what a benefit to the entire IF-defense it is to be throwing over to a 6'5" guy with some athleticism.
While on the subject of position changes, what about Josh Fields. It might be a mute point considering both him and Crede are sucking it up, but when he was drafted scouts were saying he'd move fast and have to change positions. What about SS. If he develops like he should it would be nice to have him manning ss at the Cell in 06 or 07

Randar68
07-21-2004, 11:38 AM
that is exactly what i was gonna bring up! with us having good depth at OF(Young, nanita,anderson,spidale,borchard) we should try to convert this guy into a corner infield position, most likely 1b, since that is weak in the system
I think he's athletic enough and quick enough to switch positions later in his career if he bulks up, as well, and he definitely has a RF'ers arm, so I understand keeping him out there for now. But you basically hit on my point. Konerko has one year left on his deal, Thomas only has a few years left in the tank, and outside of Rogowski, we have nothing notable at 1B in the system.

Randar68
07-21-2004, 11:39 AM
While on the subject of position changes, what about Josh Fields. It might be a mute point considering both him and Crede are sucking it up, but when he was drafted scouts were saying he'd move fast and have to change positions. What about SS. If he develops like he should it would be nice to have him manning ss at the Cell in 06 or 07
No way at SS. The talk was of moving him to 1B, but I don't think the Sox will do that. He's a little rough around the edges, but has a good arm. If they aren't in a hurry to get him to the show for his bat, they can take their time and work him more at 3B, which is what I think they'll do.

habibharu
07-21-2004, 11:39 AM
I think he's athletic enough and quick enough to switch positions later in his career if he bulks up, as well, and he definitely has a RF'ers arm, so I understand keeping him out there for now. But you basically hit on my point. Konerko has one year left on his deal, Thomas only has a few years left in the tank, and outside of Rogowski, we have nothing notable at 1B in the system. when do you think rogowski will be ready for the majors? 06?

Randar68
07-21-2004, 11:43 AM
when do you think rogowski will be ready for the majors? 06?
I don't know, he's a tad old (although lost last year to a shoulder injury, despite playing through it at times) for High-A ball, but he's been ready for a promotion for months. Becker isn't doing squat in AA, and I really think Casey should be there, but there have been rumblings of other issues holding him back, so who knows?

Casey plays great defense and has one of the better eyes in the system, he's always been a favorite of mine. When I'm in W-S in a couple weeks, I'll try to talk to him if he's still there and find out the details.

California Sox
07-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Sweeney at 1b is similar to the Angels moving Erstad to 1b: You'd only do it if you were stocked in the OF. His throwing arm is so good, and while he looked a little raw out there in the Spring (I haven't seen him since) he's built like an outfielder and runs well. The guy he reminds me of a little is Shawn Green before Green started hitting for power. I wonder if he's ever going to walk much because he has such good plate coverage that he's bound to put a lot of balls in play. And on the "make a better reliever than Jackson" front... Who wouldn't? On second thought, maybe he and Anderson will be our outfield and bullpen of the future. Tony LaRussa would come back to manage a situation like that! :wink:

The Tom
08-03-2004, 05:09 PM
Okay, I'm hearing conflicting reports on Brandon McCarthy. Scouting reports say he throws 88-92 mph while others are claiming he's already hitting 95. That's a pretty large difference. It seems to be general consensus that he'll add some velocity, but what is it now and what can we expect when he reaches Chicago? With plus command of 3 pitches, does he have the best control in the Sox system?

Chisoxfn
08-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Okay, I'm hearing conflicting reports on Brandon McCarthy. Scouting reports say he throws 88-92 mph while others are claiming he's already hitting 95. That's a pretty large difference. It seems to be general consensus that he'll add some velocity, but what is it now and what can we expect when he reaches Chicago? With plus command of 3 pitches, does he have the best control in the Sox system? You can take my word if you want, but the stuff I'm saying about his velocity and pitches are dead on. I've said what he is throwing now (velocity wise) and the types of pitches he throws.

I can also tell you dead on that the scouting services are wrong on Brian Miller and his "easy heat". He doesn't hit 95, he's in the 87-90 MPH range.

Rex Hudler
08-03-2004, 08:20 PM
I don't know, he's a tad old (although lost last year to a shoulder injury, despite playing through it at times) for High-A ball, but he's been ready for a promotion for months. Becker isn't doing squat in AA, and I really think Casey should be there, but there have been rumblings of other issues holding him back, so who knows?

Casey plays great defense and has one of the better eyes in the system, he's always been a favorite of mine. When I'm in W-S in a couple weeks, I'll try to talk to him if he's still there and find out the details.
Becker is back in Winston-Salem. McNeal was just sent back to Birmingham from Charlotte. Barring injuries that cause chain reactions, you will not likely see Rogowski or anyone from W-S promoted to AA the rest of the year. Winston-Salem has gotten hot and is now in 1st place. Kannapolis and Birmingham are also in pennant races, so player movement will likely be minimal unless that changes. The Sox will give W-S every opportunity to win back-to-back titles.

The only exception would be if is a role player. Birmingham has enough walking wounded that they can add players from the DL. They activated Wyatt Allen this weekend and their roster will expand by one in the next few days.