PDA

View Full Version : Why was Joaquin Benoit pitching last night?

Tekijawa
07-20-2004, 11:40 AM
What ball club in their right mind would throw a guy who was going on Berevment leave for the next few games, after last night, because of the death of his grandma? You think that they could do what we did for our 5th starter and throw someone who would more likely have his head in the Game.

DrummerGeorgefan
07-20-2004, 12:49 PM
I did not know he was pitching with grief on the mind. . It seems that his thoughts were not there, especially when he had trouble locating his pitches early in the game. Thats a bad move by the manager to have him pitch. Even worse in my opinion is that none of his teammates, starting pitchers especially, would pitch with one day less of rest so the guy could get his head together.

Tekijawa
07-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Yeah when Hawk said that before the game I couldn't believe it... I realize that he may not have been close with his Grandma but hey at least give the man the day off especially since you have him SCHEDULED TO LEAVE after the game!

HebrewHammer
07-20-2004, 12:59 PM
I'm not sure if what Benoit did last night can be considered pitching.:tongue:

daveeym
07-20-2004, 01:00 PM
Uhm that's a crappy post. I'm sure it was his decision, first off grandma not parent. second, yes some people have great relations with thier grandparents and it would be a big deal others less than, so once again his choice. Look at favre last year or the year ago, how many guys have one of the best games of their careers in this situation, so again, his choice to start. I chalk it up to him not being that great to begin with and we were due, he's got some questionable stats on the year to begin with anyways.

Tekijawa
07-20-2004, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=daveeym]Look at favre last year or the year ago, how many guys have one of the best games of their careers in this situation, [QUOTE]

One, Farve.

I agree he didn't have the best numbers in the world to begin with and they were even worse against the White Sox in General, so why take the Chance? I could tell that something wasn't right in that first inning, Showalter should have taken him out at that point before he gave up the next 4-5 runs, and at least given his team a chance. I'm glad he didn't but I don't think that the RANGERS did the right thing here.

daveeym
07-20-2004, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE=daveeym]Look at favre last year or the year ago, how many guys have one of the best games of their careers in this situation, [QUOTE]

One, Farve.

I agree he didn't have the best numbers in the world to begin with and they were even worse against the White Sox in General, so why take the Chance? I could tell that something wasn't right in that first inning, Showalter should have taken him out at that point before he gave up the next 4-5 runs, and at least given his team a chance. I'm glad he didn't but I don't think that the RANGERS did the right thing here. I disagree, jordan was the king of illness' and so many guys come up big in situations like this, death, illness, injury. That's the beauty of sports sometimes a little distraction leads to superb concentration and great performances. maybe showalter hurt the rangers last night but ultimately it was benoit's choice and he could just as easily have shut us down last night. I'm chalking it up more to his bad stats than the situation.

Tekijawa
07-20-2004, 01:54 PM
I disagree, jordan was the king of illness' and so many guys come up big in situations like this, death, illness, injury. Last I checked Jordan RETIRED, for the first time, because of a death in the Family...

Injury or Illness is completely different from a death in the family.

Bonds took a long time off after his fathers death, he even became ill, if I'm not mistaken, from all the "emotions" surrounding it.

daveeym
07-20-2004, 03:45 PM
you're missing the whole point, plenty of guys have played after deaths in the family and have played well. All i'm saying is it was more than likely Benoit's choice and with as ****ty as his stats are this year it's hard to blame his performance on the death of his grandmother especially since the sox were due and plenty of players step it up a notch in that situation. Come on, We all know jordan retired because of gambling. (semi-teal)