PDA

View Full Version : Sox News To-Date

JDP
07-20-2004, 10:13 AM
Newark Star Ledger (http://www.nj.com/yankees/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/109030108995020.xml)
The latest on Randy Johnson discussions involve the Yankees, Angels and D-Backs in a proposed deal that would have Anaheim sending Ramon Ortiz to the Yankees, then the Yankees dealing Ortiz to the Diamondbacks as part of a deal for Johnson. Arizona would get prospects from both the Angels and the Yankees, and the Yankees would not have to surrender any of their major-league talent. Yankee officials have publicly state that "We don't think we match up" with Arizona on a potential trade, in regards to their own farm system. Ortiz is the kind of major-league-ready talent that might appeal to Arizona as part of a larger package with prospects. No word on what Anaheim would benefit from the deal....

Chicago Sun Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep20.html)
Closer to home, Valentin is itching for a contract extension. He is hoping that once the trading deadline passes that he will be able to work up a contract extension and stay with the White Sox.

SoxFan76
07-20-2004, 10:19 AM
Newark Star Ledger (http://www.nj.com/yankees/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/109030108995020.xml)
The latest on Randy Johnson discussions involve the Yankees, Angels and D-Backs in a proposed deal that would have Anaheim sending Ramon Ortiz to the Yankees, then the Yankees dealing Ortiz to the Diamondbacks as part of a deal for Johnson. Arizona would get prospects from both the Angels and the Yankees, and the Yankees would not have to surrender any of their major-league talent. Yankee officials have publicly state that "We don't think we match up" with Arizona on a potential trade, in regards to their own farm system. Ortiz is the kind of major-league-ready talent that might appeal to Arizona as part of a larger package with prospects. No word on what Anaheim would benefit from the deal....

Closer to home, Valentin is itching for a contract extension. He is hoping that once the trading deadline passes that he will be able to work up a contract extension and stay with the White Sox.
I wonder if he'll take less money. I love Jose, but the Sox can't be devoting so much money to a .250 hitter.

fledgedrallycap
07-20-2004, 10:25 AM
It will be interesting to see what happens. I doubt the Sox go to Jose before free agency begins so they can go out and get a feel on what Cabrera, Reteria, Nomar, etc. will be demanding. I don't know the interest they have in those guys or who the competition will be, but Cabrera in a Sox uniform would be nice to see...

With that said, I like Jose and a mid-level two year deal, maybe with an option would make sense. Thus, he could slip into the utility role in coming seasons as well.

The underlying fact about Jose is he is beloved by the White Sox organization.

MarqSox
07-20-2004, 01:30 PM
The underlying fact about Jose is he is beloved by the White Sox organization.
And Jose loves playing for the Sox. I tell you what, I'd love to see us keep Jose around for a few more years, if only because he takes pride in putting on the black and silver. I get the sense that he loves this team like I do, and I'm gonna pull extra hard for a guy like that.

thepaulbowski
07-20-2004, 01:37 PM
And Jose loves playing for the Sox. I tell you what, I'd love to see us keep Jose around for a few more years, if only because he takes pride in putting on the black and silver. I get the sense that he loves this team like I do, and I'm gonna pull extra hard for a guy like that.
Of course he loves it here, the Sox rescued him from Milwaukee. :D:

Realist
07-20-2004, 01:52 PM
I wonder if he'll take less money. I love Jose, but the Sox can't be devoting so much money to a .250 hitter.
He may be hitting .250 but he's super clutch. I'd rather have him up to bat in the late innings with men on board and we need a couple of runs than either Maggs or Frank.

I think I may love Jose more than you do. :cool:

wdelaney72
07-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Clutch or not. .250 this year so far. .237 last year. He's GOT to do better than that. It just simply isn't good enough.

Realist
07-20-2004, 02:16 PM
Clutch or not. .250 this year so far. .237 last year. He's GOT to do better than that. It just simply isn't good enough.
.250 for a clutch power hitter is fine and dandy. As Hawk says, "Don't tell me what ya hit. Tell me when ya hit it." I think he's batting something like .320 with RISP. Find me a shortstop with better numbers than those and a salary in the same range and I'll change my mind about Jose.

maurice
07-20-2004, 03:31 PM
If Frank asked for an extension, the negative headline would cover half the back page of the Cub-Times, and the following pages would include columns by Moronotti and Telander re. Frank's selfishness with his team in the middle of a penant race.

:angry:

ma_deuce
07-20-2004, 03:41 PM
If Frank asked for an extension, the negative headline would cover half the back page of the Cub-Times, and the following pages would include columns by Moronotti and Telander re. Frank's selfishness with his team in the middle of a penant race.

:angry:Too right.

By the way, the only extension Valentin deserves is of my middle finger. His fielding stinks and his batting average isn't much better. He hits well in games we are already leading in and little else. He strikes out a ton, and will only get worse with age. I hope this is his last year as a starter for the Sox, if not his last year with the Sox altogether. Same goes for Sandy, as long as we pick up a decent catcher to support Burke. We have young talent that need experiance in something more than warming the bench every other game.

Deuce