PDA

View Full Version : Do we still need a catcher?

Aidan
07-20-2004, 07:15 AM
I wish Sandy Alomar wasn't so old because he seems to be our only catcher that can hit in clutch situations. He went 2 for 4 last night with 2 RBIs and a BB. With Jamie Burke struggling to hit with runners in scoring position and Ben Davis unable to bat his weight, do we still need a catcher? Or should we stick with the 3 headed monster and see what happens? Obviously, Montreal sent us money in the Everett deal so Kenny can make another trade. Will Kenny try to trade for a good hitting catcher? What do you guys think?

akingamongstmen
07-20-2004, 07:39 AM
I'm sure he's trying to land a catcher, but I don't know if it's going to happen. We might be able to get a washed-up vetern, but what's the point? Might as well stick with what we've got.

gosox41
07-20-2004, 07:56 AM
I wish Sandy Alomar wasn't so old because he seems to be our only catcher that can hit in clutch situations. He went 2 for 4 last night with 2 RBIs and a BB. With Jamie Burke struggling to hit with runners in scoring position and Ben Davis unable to bat his weight, do we still need a catcher? Or should we stick with the 3 headed monster and see what happens? Obviously, Montreal sent us money in the Everett deal so Kenny can make another trade. Will Kenny try to trade for a good hitting catcher? What do you guys think?

I think we need a catcher for 2 reasons:

1.. The one's we have aren't good, especially offensively.
2. Getting an everyday catcher can actually bring the Sox 2 bats because you get a catcher that can hit better then what we have, but then you can also (hopefully) send down one of these no-hitting catchers and fill his spot with someone who can at least get on base (Olerud??)

Bob

Aidan
07-20-2004, 08:35 AM
I think we need a catcher for 2 reasons:

1.. The one's we have aren't good, especially offensively.
2. Getting an everyday catcher can actually bring the Sox 2 bats because you get a catcher that can hit better then what we have, but then you can also (hopefully) send down one of these no-hitting catchers and fill his spot with someone who can at least get on base (Olerud??)

BobOlerud is washed up and I think he is contemplating retirement. Olerud is as slow as Paul Konerko and without the power. I wouldn't want a singles hitter clogging up the basepads. Right now, our primary needs are a good hitting catcher and a decent reliever to replace Mike "Gas-Can" Jackson.

soxtalker
07-20-2004, 09:16 AM
I'd guess that KW is trying, but it probably isn't a very high priority. Davis has been discussed in several threads. Give him a chance; he hasn't been here very long. Maybe KW saw something there, and they can do something with his hitting. The other parts of his game look solid; in particular, he seems to handle Garcia well.

SoxFan76
07-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Ok, someone tell me if I'm wrong, but I thought the money Montreal sent was for the rest of Everett's contract this year, or atleast a chunk of it. I thought that is the only reason anybody sends cash over.

Mickster
07-20-2004, 09:26 AM
YES!

Fungo
07-20-2004, 09:28 AM
Mike "Gas-Can" Jackson.
Long lost cousin of Dennis "Oil-Can" Boyd

SSN721
07-20-2004, 10:15 AM
As stated above, it is truly a shame that Sandy isnt able to catch more. He is the only catcher that I feel confident in being able to get a few clutch hits, take walks on occassion. Watching Davis is like watching one of our pitchers at the plate in an interleague game. I want to give KW the benifit of the doubt where he either saw Davis as trade material or something in him that he thinks can make him a better hitter. I dont, but thats why I am not making decisions for the SOx organization. Burke can get some clutch hits too but I still think Sandy is our best overall option and unfortunately he is the most fragile. I hope we get another catcher, but if he isnt more of a premeir guy, Kendall etc, I would rather just stick with what we have. If the rest of our lineup hits liek they should it will work out okay as long as all three hold up their end defensively.

elrod
07-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Gregg Zaun. He's hitting .302, is decent defensively, and is cheap. They only have two catchers right now because Estalella and Myers are on the DL but I'm sure they've got somebody in AAA who can catch and Cash is the future at the position for the Blue Jays. So why not deal for him - I'm sure the Jays won't ask for much.

gosox41
07-20-2004, 10:44 AM
Olerud is washed up and I think he is contemplating retirement. Olerud is as slow as Paul Konerko and without the power. I wouldn't want a singles hitter clogging up the basepads. Right now, our primary needs are a good hitting catcher and a decent reliever to replace Mike "Gas-Can" Jackson.
Olerud's best days are definitely behind him. But he is a cheap (money wise and the fact that you don't have to give up any talent), better then Ben Davis offensively, and is a veteran left handed bat. He still had a .354 OBP.

Obviously ther are better hitters out there but he is a cheap, zero risk option for the Sox. People want that crafty veteran who's been there, and there's even been talk of bringing Ventura back. Believe it or not Olerud has had a better 2004 then Ventura.

Bob

greenpeach
07-20-2004, 11:05 AM
I truly believe that KW will make a trade with the Pirates before the deadline for Jason Kendall. The Bucs want to dump his salary & would be willing to take a couple of good prospects for him. In addition, they might be desperate enough to agree to pick up some of his future salary. The bottom line is that the Sox can't win the pennant with the three-headed monster lurking behind the plate at the present time.

soxtalker
07-20-2004, 11:22 AM
I truly believe that KW will make a trade with the Pirates before the deadline for Jason Kendall. The Bucs want to dump his salary & would be willing to take a couple of good prospects for him. In addition, they might be desperate enough to agree to pick up some of his future salary. The bottom line is that the Sox can't win the pennant with the three-headed monster lurking behind the plate at the present time.
I hope he doesn't -- unless the Pirates take on much of his salary. That would be a big albatross in the future.

Cubsuck_a_lot
07-20-2004, 11:22 AM
I still like Kris Benson. if we really want to win this now, k dub has to get a solid starting pitcher. Shoeney had a great outing last night, but still gave up 4 runs in a little over 5 innings. if, nay when, our offense starts to falter again we need to have someone who can step up, pitch 7 or 8 solid innings and let a slow offense with 2 or 3 runs win a game. sure benson may be expensive, but it's less than what they want for RJ. still, you have to spend money to make money. also, what the hell is this face supposed to be? it looks like he got a mouth cramp from being frisky.:o:

HebrewHammer
07-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Maybe KW is trying to pull another rabbit out of his hat with Ben Davis.

A guy who's never been able to put together a full season finds success on the White Sox, sounds familiar?

daveeym
07-20-2004, 12:06 PM
Olerud is washed up and I think he is contemplating retirement. Olerud is as slow as Paul Konerko and without the power. I wouldn't want a singles hitter clogging up the basepads. Right now, our primary needs are a good hitting catcher and a decent reliever to replace Mike "Gas-Can" Jackson. I prefer naming him "The Arsonist", as far as catchers go if we can get a catcher for a song go for it, we do not need to sell the farm (what's left of it) for a catcher. We got three good defensive catchers, I'm fine with that. Granted no Olivo, but they're servicable. Catcher is the last thing we need to worry about.

OurBitchinMinny
07-20-2004, 12:11 PM
I would like to see the sox do a deal with pittsburgh for kendall and benson. I know they would have to give up a lot probably and kendall's contract is high, but this does three things.

1. Further solidifies your starting staff.
2. Fills glaring hole at catcher
3. Keeps the twins from getting benson. Word up in minny is that the twins are gonna try and make a move for him. The twins have a solid farm system and could appease the pirates demands for him. It pretty much sounds like this is a last run for the twins. Talk is pohlad is gonna cut payroll and they are gonna go back to the mid 90s suckiness. But pohlad wants to make one last run this year. The way benson is pitching, he and santana would make a good 1-2 combo and radke and lohse are not bad 3-4's.

I know this wont happened, but I really think the twins are gonna get benson in the next week and a half and this could prevent it.

Evman5
07-20-2004, 12:16 PM
I would like to see the sox do a deal with pittsburgh for kendall and benson. I know they would have to give up a lot probably and kendall's contract is high, but this does three things.

1. Further solidifies your starting staff.
2. Fills glaring hole at catcher
3. Keeps the twins from getting benson. Word up in minny is that the twins are gonna try and make a move for him. The twins have a solid farm system and could appease the pirates demands for him. It pretty much sounds like this is a last run for the twins. Talk is pohlad is gonna cut payroll and they are gonna go back to the mid 90s suckiness. But pohlad wants to make one last run this year. The way benson is pitching, he and santana would make a good 1-2 combo and radke and lohse are not bad 3-4's.

I know this wont happened, but I really think the twins are gonna get benson in the next week and a half and this could prevent it.

I dont think the Twins will end up with BEnson. The are interested in Batista last I heard.

OurBitchinMinny
07-20-2004, 12:20 PM
The twins are interested in whichever one they can get for the cheapest, which is probably bautista. Either way I think the twins will make at least one move.

he_gone_89
07-20-2004, 06:51 PM
i got a trade

Jackson and Davis to Toronto for Gregg Zaun and Miguel Batista

and we can alternate between Alomar and Everett for the DH spot..
and maggs and everett can alt for the RF spot until the playoffs

Aidan
07-20-2004, 07:02 PM
I dont think the Twins will end up with BEnson. The are interested in Batista last I heard.The twins are interested in whichever one they can get for the cheapest, which is probably bautista. Either way I think the twins will make at least one move.Agreed, they want whoever is cheaper and Batista will be. The Twins like Batista's contract but it will cost them Justin Morneau or Michael Restovich. Good news for us. Morneau and Restovich are two very highly touted prospects.
i got a trade

Jackson and Davis to Toronto for Gregg Zaun and Miguel Batista

and we can alternate between Alomar and Everett for the DH spot..
and maggs and everett can alt for the RF spot until the playoffsYou're joking right? Why would Toronto take our two scrubs for their good starting pitcher and catcher? You can't just dump off garbage players for good ones. Toronto wants to get younger, not older. Mike Jackson is 39 and Ben Davis has been a bust. They will get a heck of a lot more in the way of prospects for Batista. Alomar as a DH? How old are you kid?

Nellie_Fox
07-21-2004, 12:29 AM
I wouldn't want a singles hitter clogging up the basepads. They are basepaths.