PDA

View Full Version : Bajenaru

bigdommer
07-20-2004, 08:01 AM
Anyone see Bajenaru pitch last night for Charlotte? I saw he had 1 IP and gave up one hit in getting the save in his AAA debut. His numbers in AA were absolutely staggering. Any chance he gets up to the show this year? Does he have big league stuff? He has to be better than Mike Jackson, right???

SoxxoS
07-20-2004, 08:11 AM
I would think if he can pitch in the Bandbox known as Charlotte, then we will see him later on this year.

At this point, I would rather see Baj than Michael Jackson, anyway.

The Tom
07-20-2004, 11:12 AM
He didnt get the save as Charlotte was up by like six runs. It was encouraging to see him pitching well though.

Randar68
07-20-2004, 03:28 PM
Anyone see Bajenaru pitch last night for Charlotte? I saw he had 1 IP and gave up one hit in getting the save in his AAA debut. His numbers in AA were absolutely staggering. Any chance he gets up to the show this year? Does he have big league stuff? He has to be better than Mike Jackson, right???
Here's what I wrote on him in the Sox Clubhouse in another thread:

He had Tommy John Surgery in May 2002, and came back pretty quickly, he learned a cutter (more of a slider/cutter mix)to go with his FB, change, and knuckle-curve. He was a 36th rounder in the 1999 draft out of U. of Oklahoma and was moving up rapidly until his injury. He throws his fastball in the legit low 90's. He's only about 6'1" and around 190 pounds or so.

jeremyb1
07-21-2004, 02:35 AM

I'm not sure about Jackson but I'd put money on the fact that he's better than Adkins.

professionalfan
07-21-2004, 09:19 PM
He didnt get the save as Charlotte was up by like six runs. It was encouraging to see him pitching well though.
Actually, he is 2 for 2 in save opportunities in his first 2 days in Charlotte. Not a bad start!

rdivaldi
07-30-2004, 11:35 AM
I would like to take this opportunity to point out that Baj's last couple outings in Charlotte should serve as a reminder that we should be weary of a 26 year old closers' stats in AA.

I'm not saying the guy will never make the big leagues, but we've got to keep statistics in perspective. I count 4 dominant closers in the past 4 years in Birmingham that basically have struggled to make a mark in the majors or even AAA.

Wealz
07-30-2004, 12:24 PM
I would like to take this opportunity to point out that Baj's last couple outings in Charlotte should serve as a reminder that we should be weary of a 26 year old closers' stats in AA.

I'm not saying the guy will never make the big leagues, but we've got to keep statistics in perspective. I count 4 dominant closers in the past 4 years in Birmingham that basically have struggled to make a mark in the majors or even AAA.
To expand on that a little, be very wary of any pitcher's stats at Birmingham. Munoz, Cotts, Pacheco, Wright to name a few recently.

Randar68
07-30-2004, 01:24 PM
To expand on that a little, be very wary of any pitcher's stats at Birmingham. Munoz, Cotts, Pacheco, Wright to name a few recently.
Buehrle too, he was terrible.

Rex Hudler
07-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Can you believe how much that guy sucked? LOL

A note about Bajenaru..... I am not saying he is superman, but he is better than what he has showed in the last month or two. He has been hurt (groin injury) and has not been the same pitcher as he was earlier in the year. The injury affects his right leg, not allowing him to push off the mound when he throws.

Even before his promotion to Charlotte, he was struggling with command in Birmingham. Having watched him all season, there was a definite difference in the way he was pitching. The injury was not common knowledge at first, so I had begun to wonder. You could tell he was struggling even though his numbers/results were still there.

Unfortunately, he may have to pitch with it the rest of the year. Rest is really the only thing that will allow him to get healthy again.

Wealz
07-30-2004, 01:51 PM
That's your one D'wayne.

rdivaldi
07-30-2004, 01:56 PM
For sure. I'd really like to see our developmental system require that our starting prospects put in some time a AAA before making the jump to the big leagues.

It does make what Buehrle accomplished a little more impressive.

Randar68
07-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Unfortunately, he may have to pitch with it the rest of the year. Rest is really the only thing that will allow him to get healthy again.
That's too bad. I know many are concerned about his age, but he was drafted as a raw player out of college and then basically lost almost 2 years to Tommy John (1 recovery year, one year without being 100%).

Here's hoping, but the history of guys like Valentine, Almonte, etc isn't too great.

jeremyb1
07-30-2004, 03:43 PM

Munoz is 22. I wouldn't write him off quite yet. Pacheco was rather old for the league and Cotts and Wright skipped AAA.

Wealz
07-30-2004, 04:10 PM
Munoz is 22. I wouldn't write him off quite yet. Pacheco was rather old for the league and Cotts and Wright skipped AAA.
I'm not writing Munoz off though I'm concerned that his velocity isn't good enough despite his devestating curve.

SoxxoS
07-30-2004, 04:12 PM
I'm not writing Munoz off though I'm concerned that his velocity isn't good enough despite his devestating curve.
And his stature isn't exactly up to major league standards.