PDA

View Full Version : sCrUBS death spiral - by the numbers...

StillMissOzzie
07-20-2004, 02:12 AM
In my massive leisure time, I did some number crunching reflecting the up-to-the-minute standings in the NL Central. The Cards (58-34) have 70 more games, and if they only play at .500 the rest of the year, they'll end up with 93 wins. The sCrUBS (49-43) also have 70 more games, and would need to go 44-26 the rest of the way out just to tie. That's a .629 pace, and I don't think it's gonna happen. In order to hit the 90 win mark, consider by some to be necessary to win the wild card, they'd have to go 41-29, which is still a .586 pace.

It's just too delicious to have the Sox still in contention when the sCrUBS fan's high expectations are crumbling - again.

SMO
:bandance:

VA_GoGoSox
07-20-2004, 04:44 AM
WOW. I know it is too early to get too excited about the demise of the chubbies, but those numbers make me smile. :smile:

What is especially exciting is the fact that they play most of their major competition for the wild card (Philly, San Diego, Cincinnati, San Francisco) over the next 3 weeks. All of this along with a series against the Brew Crew who have had the chubs' number as of late. This could get ugly...and fun.:gulp:

BigEdWalsh
07-20-2004, 07:59 AM
It's so sad....so very sad......:roflmao:

I listened to the Score for about 2 minutes on the way home from work this morning and they (whoever they are that are on in the morning) were talking about the Cubbies being out of the race and that they're only playing for the wild card now.
It's so darn sad. This was supposed to be such a great year....breaking the curse...going to and winning the WS.....mmm....such a shame!!

:supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

SOXSINCE'70
07-20-2004, 08:28 AM
I gotta say,in the words of McDonald's,

"I'M LOVIN' IT!!!" :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

34 Inch Stick
07-20-2004, 09:03 AM
I'd love to see Brewers fans fill Wrigley towards the end of the year as they fight for a wild card spot.

Baby Fisk
07-20-2004, 09:41 AM
CUBS TUMBLING TO THIRD PLACE...

SOXSINCE'70
07-20-2004, 11:55 AM
And in other news,the White Sox really are the anti-christs.:D: :D: :D:

HomeFish
07-20-2004, 01:19 PM
Don't be so optimistic. The accursed ones have a very easy schedule at the end of the year -- pretty much just Brewers and Reds. The Brewers have gotten the job done this year, but the Reds have been less-than-impressive against the Chicago National League club.

And as pathetic as they look in the regular season, they become instant favorites in the postseason because of their pitching staff. I just hope the Cardinals make it out of the first round to apply a NLCS-smackdown if they need to.

StrTrkker
07-20-2004, 01:37 PM
I gotta feeling that the Cubs will finish 4th behind Milwaukee & Houston and be a good 10 games and maybe even more games outta the Wild Card.

HomeFish
07-20-2004, 01:38 PM
I gotta feeling that the Cubs will finish 4th behind Milwaukee & Houston and be a good 10 games and maybe even more games outta the Wild Card.

How many of us were saying that at the All-Star break last year?

The accursed ones are not dead yet. I would postpone the celebrations until they are more obviously out of it.

Jerko
07-20-2004, 01:39 PM
Don't be so optimistic. The accursed ones have a very easy schedule at the end of the year -- pretty much just Brewers and Reds. The Brewers have gotten the job done this year, but the Reds have been less-than-impressive against the Chicago National League club.

And as pathetic as they look in the regular season, they become instant favorites in the postseason because of their pitching staff. I just hope the Cardinals make it out of the first round to apply a NLCS-smackdown if they need to.
Reds lead the season series vs. the Cubs 4-3. So Reds/Brewers are 9-5 vs. the flubs so far. Hopefully THIS year when they play the Reds, it's really the Reds, not the Louisville Bats like the end of last season.

zach23
07-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Reds lead the season series vs. the Cubs 4-3. So Reds/Brewers are 9-5 vs. the flubs so far. Hopefully THIS year when they play the Reds, it's really the Reds, not the Louisville Bats like the end of last season.

The cubs players are cracking under the enormous amount of pressure they have been under also. Expectations were so high, that every pitch is pressure packed. It is like they have been playing playoff games for the entire season now. Everything they do is under the microscope. Plus, since they are so over hyped by both the local and national media, I am betting that the younger teams like the Pirates and Brewers are getting up even more to play them and knock them out.
That team has been carrying the gigantic weight of "this is the year" all season and it is crushing them.

chuckn98229
07-20-2004, 03:54 PM
How many of us were saying that at the All-Star break last year?

The accursed ones are not dead yet. I would postpone the celebrations until they are more obviously out of it.

Although things are looking good now, the vile pretenders will not be finished until a stake is driven through their collective heart - and then all the good and decent folks can celebrate and know that there is, indeed, a God!

soxwon
07-20-2004, 09:18 PM
all the cub fans i know have given up on the division.

they are thinking WILD CARD.

a friend of mine called me to say he has given up totally on the season, i give him credit he is honest about it.
he is usually a stubborn, never give upper.