PDA

View Full Version : Starter for Sale?

SEALgep
07-19-2004, 08:32 PM
Starter Carl Pavano, who was a member of the NL All-Star last week, and reliever Armando Benitz are both free agents after this season and believe they will be dealt away before the deadline if the Marlins fall out of postseason contention.

"If that's the case, I think that's a smart move by them," Pavano told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "They can get guys that can help them in the future. Otherwise, they're just going to end up getting no one."

The newspaper speculated that Pavano could probably command a four-year deal worth $30 million on the open market, while Benitez would likely get about $6 million a year for three years.

If KW is looking for another starter (and depending who we'd have to give up and so forth), this could be the guy.

soltrain21
07-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Hmm...Pavano would look very nice in a Sox uniform

Assuming we could resign him, of course.

greenpeach
07-19-2004, 09:02 PM

I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem with Uncle Jerry's big purse.

soltrain21
07-19-2004, 09:08 PM
I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem with Uncle Jerry's big purse.

Honestly though, The resigning of Maggs is looking less and less likely, and with Crazy Carl on board next year...you never know.

elrod
07-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Sign Pavano, not Loaiza. And do not sign Benitez. I repeat...do NOT sign Benitez. There is no more undependable big game pitcher than Benitez.

Evman5
07-19-2004, 10:33 PM
I would love Pavano, but how about Johan Santana?

FightingBillini
07-19-2004, 11:46 PM
Honestly though, The resigning of Maggs is looking less and less likely, and with Crazy Carl on board next year...you never know.
I believe Everett has a player option for next year. That being said, he loves it here and will most likely come back anyway.

CWSGuy406
07-19-2004, 11:58 PM
No offense to Maggs, but I'd take Everett + Pavano over Maggs any day of the week. Maggs is one hell of a player, but Pavano is a very good pitcher, and Everett is a solid player as well, not very good in the field, but he draws walks and hits for power too.

Not to mention the rotation it would give us for the next five years or so: Garcia-Buehrle-Pavano-Garland-Diaz/Cotts/Schoeney/Munoz. :o: That would be - very, very good, to say the least. I won't get my hopes up, but if there is absolutely any chance of Pavano being available, I'd go and get him...

OEO Magglio
07-20-2004, 12:00 AM
No offense to Maggs, but I'd take Everett + Pavano over Maggs any day of the week. Maggs is one hell of a player, but Pavano is a very good pitcher, and Everett is a solid player as well, not very good in the field, but he draws walks and hits for power too.

Not to mention the rotation it would give us for the next five years or so: Garcia-Buehrle-Pavano-Garland-Diaz/Cotts/Schoeney/Munoz. :o: That would be - very, very good, to say the least. I won't get my hopes up, but if there is absolutely any chance of Pavano being available, I'd go and get him...I agree 100 percent with everything you said.

Jjav829
07-20-2004, 12:08 AM
That sounds too good to be true. I'd love to see Pavano here. I wanted him in the offseason but he stayed with the Marlins. If they are willing to trade him, and we could acquire/sign him, that would be a hell of a move.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Marlins try to add before the deadline though if Beckett can't pitch effectively, then they might be better off trading players away.

knocko94
07-20-2004, 12:18 AM
I thought Pavano looked awesome when he pitched against the Sox down in Florida, he'd be a great pickup.

doublem23
07-20-2004, 12:23 AM
Do the Sox still have a player to be named later in the Koch deal. Even if we got Carl Pavano, the Marlins still would have come out on top, stealing Billy from us. Just ask Marlins, rfterrys, or CapeFish. :rolleyes:

gosox41
07-20-2004, 08:15 AM

You know who would else would look good in a Sox uni?? Alyssa Milano. Too bad her can Carl broke up. Wouldn't it be great to look into the stands and see Alyssa Milano and Anna Benson sitting in the wives section. Of course that also means the Sox would have a damn good starting rotation.

Bob

Tekijawa
07-20-2004, 08:24 AM
You know who would else would look good in a Sox uni?? Alyssa Milano. Too bad her can Carl broke up. Wouldn't it be great to look into the stands and see Alyssa Milano and Anna Benson sitting in the wives section.

I think she'd look even better sitting in MY WIVES SECTION!

Dadawg_77
07-20-2004, 08:25 AM
If the Twins non tender Santana this off season, there was some specualtion about that at the start of the year, Ryan should be shot.

Pavano would be a nice addition to this team, but for Fla to trade him, they will have to pull a white flag trade. They will still be around come July 31st and Pavano won't clear waviers.

sendimjoey
07-20-2004, 10:29 AM
Pavano would be a nice addition to this team, but for Fla to trade him, they will have to pull a white flag trade. They will still be around come July 31st and Pavano won't clear waviers.
It seems like more deals are being completed after the July 31 non-waiver deadline. Does Pavano have to clear waivers completely to be moved? If the Marlins and the team that claims him can agree on a trade, does it go through at that point? The disadvantage, compared with trading before Aug. 1, is that a team that doesn't have anything you want might claim your player just to keep him from an opponent -- say, the Twins claiming him to keep him from the Sox.

Does this sound right?

jabrch
07-20-2004, 11:53 AM
Is he a FA after this year? That would be AWESOME in so many ways.

I'd give whatever FLA wants (within reason) if it would get us Pavano and Benitez right now. This team would be awful tough with him in the rotation and Schoe and Benitez in the pen setting up for Shingo.

Evman5
07-20-2004, 12:14 PM
I think he is.

http://dugoutdollars.blogspot.com/2003_12_14_dugoutdollars_archive.html

I am not sure if the Twins have any rights to him or anything for another year.

Dadawg_77
07-20-2004, 12:17 PM
It seems like more deals are being completed after the July 31 non-waiver deadline. Does Pavano have to clear waivers completely to be moved? If the Marlins and the team that claims him can agree on a trade, does it go through at that point? The disadvantage, compared with trading before Aug. 1, is that a team that doesn't have anything you want might claim your player just to keep him from an opponent -- say, the Twins claiming him to keep him from the Sox.

Does this sound right?
A player would have to complete clear waivers to be traded unless the team trades with the team who has the highest waiver request. Since Pavano is a FA at the end of the year, most teams would pick him up since they won't be saddled with him.

Dadawg_77
07-20-2004, 12:21 PM
I think he is.

http://dugoutdollars.blogspot.com/2003_12_14_dugoutdollars_archive.html

I am not sure if the Twins have any rights to him or anything for another year.
He has one or two more years before becoming a UFA. If the Twins non-tender him, he becomes one. Unlikely but they did non-tender Ortiz.

TDog
07-20-2004, 12:21 PM
I thought Pavano looked awesome when he pitched against the Sox down in Florida, he'd be a great pickup.
Of course, if the Sox went after every pitcher who managed to shut them down, the Sox would have a lot of lousy pitchers.

Frater Perdurabo
07-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Trade for Pavano, then sign him like they did with Garcia. If that means Loaiza walks, so be it. If that means Maggs walks, so be it, although I think that the increased attendance, and advance season ticket sales for 2005, would allow payroll to go high enough to allow both Maggs and Pavano to be signed.

Pavano's ERA is actually is better on the road than at Pro Player Stadium.

The Sox would have a rotation almost equal to Oakland. Buehrle, Garcia, Pavano and Garland as the top 4 would be incredible, on par with McDowell, Fernandez, Alvarez and Bere in 93/94. Such a rotation would get the Sox through a period of minor league rebuilding, since the system would have lost most of its top prospects through trades. But they would have the best rotation in the division and therefore would be favorites for some time.

Another option would be Livan Hernandez. Both Hernandez and Pavano have successful World Series experience, something this team lacks.

Evman5
07-20-2004, 05:42 PM
He has one or two more years before becoming a UFA. If the Twins non-tender him, he becomes one. Unlikely but they did non-tender Ortiz.
Do they have to offer him arbitration if they want to keep him? If they must offer him arbitration to keep him, they might feel it would be too expensive and then let him leave right?