PDA

View Full Version : ESPN on weakest schedule remaining.

Dadawg_77
07-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Chicago White Sox
http://espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/mlb/sml/trans/chw.gifTwenty-six of their last 74 games are against sub-.500 teams, and eight of their last 11 games are against the Royals -- a chance for a late-season feast.

Home-road split: 36-38.

When their fate might be determined: Sept. 6-16, the White Sox have a road trip through Texas, Anaheim and Minnesota, and among the contenders, they have been one of the poorer road teams.

Big finish: Three games at Detroit, before four in K.C.

15. Minnesota Twins
http://espn.go.com/i/teamlogos/mlb/sml/trans/min.gifThey have 35 games left against teams with records of .500 or better, second most in AL, and fewest home games remaining among AL contenders.

Home-road split: 33-38.

When their fate might be determined: From July 26-Aug 9, they play 13 straight games against some of the AL's best - the White Sox, Boston, Anaheim and Oakland.

Big Finish: After 10 road games, they come home for the last series against Cleveland.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=olney_buster&id=1842482

The Sox just need to win some road games and we should be buying playoff tickets this year.

soxfan45
07-19-2004, 04:29 PM
I don't know about you, but I think that our schedule stinks.

I hate having to face Detroit so much and look at KC beating

up on the Twins. I don't think our schedule is as weak

as some would think.

p.s. While I like your baseball quote, can you save the
Kerry propogranda for a political website. In addition to
not being interested in your political views, there are
other chat rooms to spew your political drivel. This is
for baseball.

Mickster
07-19-2004, 04:32 PM
for baseball.
Ignore his sig if it bothers you. I have to read about that joke of a President on a daily basis and I don't whine about it! :whiner:

Erik The Red
07-19-2004, 04:37 PM
for baseball. I've seen people with pro-Dubya signatures. Do you have a problem with them too, or are you just a hypocrite?

Besides, if you REALLY care about your civil liberties, you'll vote for Badnarik.

zach23
07-19-2004, 04:41 PM

as some would think.

Yeah, it would be a much easier road to the playoffs playing contenders such as New York, Anaheim and Oakland on a regular basis as opposed to teams that are out of contention and trying out guys for next year.

soxfan45
07-19-2004, 04:41 PM
I come to this website to see what is going on about the Sox.
If I want to read about politics, I'll go to drudge.....:smile:

Dadawg_77
07-19-2004, 04:42 PM

as some would think.

for baseball.
Over all I wish the Sox had more home games, Det is still below .500 and won't always be hot so they don't put a great scare into me.

ps. I view it as an yard sign. And there is no joke about Bush in there, just a shout out to our Graphics expert Winning Ugly, who did a couple pics for my sig before. Just never took down the recondition he deserves.

samram
07-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Back on topic (before this gets moved), I agree with you Dawg- just win some road games. Unfortunately, this has been easier said than done for the Sox. However, the schedule will be weaker down the stretch and Detriot doesn't scare me. The Sox will be up for them, hopefully thinking that their bad play against the Tigs last year cost them a playoff spot. I also can't wait to play eight out of the last 11 against the Royals. The Sox have killed their pitching this year. Maybe they will also have traded Sweeney or Randa by then.

Mickster
07-19-2004, 04:43 PM
I come to this website to see what is going on about the Sox.
If I want to read about politics, I'll go to drudge.....:smile:
There are many here with Bush sigs and there are no complaints. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Dadawg_77
07-19-2004, 04:43 PM
Back on topic (before this gets moved), I agree with you Dawg- just win some road games. Unfortunately, this has been easier said than done for the Sox. However, the schedule will be weaker down the stretch and Detriot doesn't scare me. The Sox will be up for them, hopefully thinking that their bad play against the Tigs last year cost them a playoff spot. I also can't wait to play eight out of the last 11 against the Royals. The Sox have killed their pitching this year. Maybe they will also have traded Sweeney or Randa by then.
KC staff is left handed, the Sox kill left handers, thus the Sox kill KC staff.

zach23
07-19-2004, 04:45 PM

And KC's bullpen makes Koch look like Gagne.

ukigdog
07-19-2004, 04:49 PM
I honestly feel no threat from Minn right now. We have won 7 of last 8 head to head, they have lost 3 of 4 from KC (suck) and Detroit.

I said last week if we leave oakland still in first we will win the division. I feel no pressure at all.

Go Sox!

samram
07-19-2004, 04:51 PM
Yep. There's no better feeling for the Sox hitters than seeing Darrell may go out to the mound.:D:

starboy0
07-19-2004, 06:06 PM
I don't put much stock in easy schedule versus hard schedule. Don't rule Detroit or Cleveland out. (I fear them more than Minnesota) Plus many teams who are out of contention play loose and can beat anybody on any given day. In 1967 the Sox had their last 5 games with dogmeat teams at the time: Senators and K.C. We were just one game out out of first and it looked like we were poised to win the pennant until we lost all 5 games to those teams. All 5!

That being said I think Everett is going to help us again like last year and Garcia is hugely better than the anonymous 5th starter which was a guaranteed loss. If Sho can just pitch like he did at the start of the year we should be ok as long as we take NOTHING for granted.

OEO Magglio
07-19-2004, 06:12 PM
KC staff is left handed, the Sox kill left handers, thus the Sox kill KC staff.The sox haven't killed left handers this year but the royals staff is awful so the offense will hopefully have a field day when we play them.

nitetrain8601
07-19-2004, 06:17 PM
I don't think its easy sailing. For one we don't know if the Sox will take the "cheap" teams serious enough or not. Look at us in Detroit last year. We lossed. This team's problem since 2000 is that we never took the bad teams serious. We've always had the ability to beat the yanks and red sox and others, we just take the wrong mindset when we don't face the tough teams.

Kadafi311
07-19-2004, 06:33 PM
KC staff is left handed, the Sox kill left handers, thus the Sox kill KC staff.I thought that was the case also, however, I just read on whitesox.com that we're 10-17 (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040718&content_id=803117&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp) against left-handed pitchers this year and have lost 8 of the last 13 games vs. lefties.

If there was one stat that summed up how much our heavy hitting right handed lineup was stuggling right now... I'd say this one takes the cake.

whitesoxwilkes
07-19-2004, 06:36 PM
for baseball.
I come here for Sox info as well, but I respect DaDawg's right to express his political opinion, no matter how "wrong" it may be in my eyes.

cheeses_h_rice
07-19-2004, 06:52 PM
for baseball.
I'm not sure what "propogranda" is, but everyone in this board has the right to have signatures that represent who/what they are, so long as those sayings/images do not attack another party. As others have mentioned, we've seen plenty of pro-Bush and pro-other party stuff on WSI, so your best bet is to just grin and bear it.

dcb33
07-19-2004, 07:58 PM
I don't think its easy sailing. For one we don't know if the Sox will take the "cheap" teams serious enough or not. Look at us in Detroit last year. We lossed. This team's problem since 2000 is that we never took the bad teams serious. We've always had the ability to beat the yanks and red sox and others, we just take the wrong mindset when we don't face the tough teams.
I think that Ozzie won't let the team look past the Tigers and Royals and won't tolerate an extended losing streak or mediocre play. The difference between 2000-2003 and 2004 is that we actually have leadership committed to winning...

ondafarm
07-19-2004, 08:14 PM
The one area I see as a huge improvement between Jerry Manuel's team and Ozzie Guillen's team is that the team does take everyone seriously and appears ready to play every game. Last year the Sox often looked dead and it showed in losses to the woeful Tigers and others. This year the team is awake. I'm not sure Ozzie is a much better manager, he was clearly outmanaged in NL parks, but the change in attitude is very noticeable. That alone should make the difference to getting into the playoffs, IMHO.

gobears1987
07-19-2004, 09:22 PM
I don't think its easy sailing. For one we don't know if the Sox will take the "cheap" teams serious enough or not. Look at us in Detroit last year. We lossed. This team's problem since 2000 is that we never took the bad teams serious. We've always had the ability to beat the yanks and red sox and others, we just take the wrong mindset when we don't face the tough teams. Let's Ask Ghandi about that:
:jerry
"I Ghandi am a man of peace. To kill the weak even when needed to win the division is wrong. I believe our team had to lose those games to get better. I mean, we just didn't want to embarass the Tigers. They didn't deserve to go down as the worst team in history so we made sure they only went down as the 2nd worst. That is why I kept my job, right?

:KW

"WRONG! That's why you got fired. If you won those games and won the division last year we would still be stuck with you Ghandi. I think I did you a favor by firing you, if you were still around you would end up like your namesake, assassinated."

:ozzie:
"We will take these games seriously and kill the Tigers unlike the times of Ghandi. Now get a ****ing job at McDonalds and stop being a ****ing armchair manager who doesn't know **** Ghandi."

Rudy Law
07-19-2004, 10:41 PM
:booty: I don't know about you, but I think that our schedule stinks.

as some would think.

for baseball.

Well the reason K.C. beat Minnesota is because..THEY ARE NOT A GOOD TEAM...The only reason they are in this race is because the Sox offense decided to go on a little vacation......The Tigers though improved are still a Sub .500 team..and the one thing the Sox are doing this year for the most part is beating the teams they should beat....So on paper the schedule favors the Sox....I'm sorry though I know some Sox fans just always have to be negative about everything....enjoy the rest of your horrible summer watching the Sox play those powerhouse Royals and Tigers

WSox8404
07-19-2004, 11:44 PM
Yep. Couldn't have summed it up better than that.

34 Inch Stick
07-20-2004, 07:39 AM
The great thing about an easy schedule after the trading deadline is that you know the bad teams will be even worse. I assume Sullivan will be gone from KC's bullpen and they will lose at least one position player. The Tigers will trade Urbina.

Minnesota was in this envious position last year. They beat weakened teams and put us in a position of having to sweep head to head series. Hopefully we can return the favor.