PDA

View Full Version : What position should we go after?

SoxBoy14
07-19-2004, 12:27 PM
Now that we got Carl Everett back so our DH spot will be filled during Franks injury, what position should we go for? Should we find more relief pitchers or get a solid thirdbasemen who can hit the ball. We also could use a catcher who can hit and throw out the runner stealing second. Or maybe a short stop who can turn the double play.

I say the Sox start looking for a solid catcher before they do anything else. I'm happy with our starting rotation, but our bull pen could use some improvement. What do you guys think?

bennyw41
07-19-2004, 12:33 PM
We need a good relief guy, Perhaps another serviceable starter, and lastly a catcher. I hope KW isn't done.

WSox8404
07-19-2004, 12:43 PM
I think this is the order of importance. 1. Relief. 2. Catcher. 3. Starter. Loaiza stinks and may be only serviceable as a number 5. This way we can send Shoney to the pen.

Realist
07-19-2004, 12:49 PM
As much as I adore the aquisition of Freddie Garcia, I really miss having Olivo coming up to bat and thinking we have a chance to get a rally started or getting any players that may be on base home. I think I'd rather have Schoenweis come up to bat with ducks on the pond than Ben Davis.

Sandy still seems to have the ability to get a big hit when we need it on occasion, but it's more rare now and he can't play every day. Would he even be capable of playing in 5 of the 7 games if we make it to the World Series? If we have the rest of the bats hitting on all cylinders, it wouldn't be so bad to have Karko Part II batting in the 9 hole, but if we got to the World Series we'd only have seven bats in the line-up.

Schoenweis hasn't been exactly terrible, and right now he's the best 5th starter we've had in a long long time. I think Coop needs to step up and get these guys to pitch to their ability. Another reliever would be nice, but I'm pretty happy with our relief corp. Marte and Politte are doing a fine job in the set up roles and we now have one of the premier closers in baseball with Takatsu.

I want Jason Kendall, but I don't think it's going to happen.

SoxxoS
07-19-2004, 12:55 PM
We need another right handed reliever, b/c the Michael Jackson experience has got to end.

Catcher is obvious, and Greg Zaun would be a great acquisition.

DuckSnort
07-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Pen help for sure, Catcher for sure, and, if something good pops up, starter help works too. :bandance:

E Coast Sox Fan
07-19-2004, 01:32 PM
In a deal with Pittsburgh we can get almost everything and they get to shed some salary and pick up some youth.

We can bring Mackowiak (3b) back to the Southside, Pick up Catching help in Kendall and another starter in Kris Benson. We can offer Crede, Diaz, Ben Davis and a prospect or two.

Tragg
07-19-2004, 01:51 PM
When Mike Jackson is used in important situations, it is pretty clear we need someone in the pen

Otherwise- hitters----this team is excellent at killing bad pitching but can it hit good pitching?

One double digit hit game in the last 13
Averaged 5 hits v cubs
Averaged 7.5ish v Angels (2 games with 4 hits)
Averaged just under 6 v woeful Seattle
Averaged 5 v Oakland

I'm not sure we can get the hitters to change those trends - let's hope they are temporary- but we should try.

Thank goodness our hitters have power- that's won a lot of games for us.

lowesox
07-19-2004, 02:05 PM
I think we're fine at catcher. Although, I'd drop Davis and go with two catchers. I think we need two things if we're going to make a serious run.

1) A table setter. Brian Roberts would be my ideal choice, if Baltimore will still consider moving him.

2) A killer setup man. This way we could have three top-flight arms (with Takatsu and Marte) at the back end of our pen. Then use Politte in the earlier innings.

I find the whole Randy Johnson thing a little unneccessary, since we already have 4 good starters for the playoffs. And I think catcher is a good position for a roleplayer - and I actually think Burke and Alomar have both been good playing a role.

PorkChopExpress
07-19-2004, 02:13 PM
1) A table setter. Brian Roberts would be my ideal choice, if Baltimore will still consider moving him.
I like this, and I wouldn't mind getting B.J. Ryan as some bullpen help in this deal either. I don't know if Baltimore would be willing, but they need to do something, so it could happen.

Tragg
07-19-2004, 02:14 PM
I find the whole Randy Johnson thing a little unneccessary, since we already have 4 good starters for the playoffs. And I think catcher is a good position for a roleplayer - and I actually think Burke and Alomar have both been good playing a role.And would guarantee us an outfield of Rowand, Everett/youngster and Lee for next season (I know, next season is next season)

I agree with your comments about C- non-role-players are real expensive- although our role players are particularly poor.

Table setter/lead-off man would be great.

MisterB
07-19-2004, 02:56 PM
1) A table setter. Brian Roberts would be my ideal choice, if Baltimore will still consider moving him.Roberts isn't much of an upgrade over Wee Willie. Since a hot April, he's cooled to .256/.329/.352 (compared to Willie's .268/.347/.311) Harris is useless against lefties, but hits righties much better than Roberts hits either righties or lefties. The only real advantage I see is in basestealing.

OurBitchinMinny
07-19-2004, 04:46 PM
#1 need is catcher

#2 need is bullpen help

#3 is a starter because Elo and schoeny flat out suck right now.

#4 is a CFer. Rowand may be all right in the short term, but you dont just stop sucking. He has been pretty hot for about a month, but I see him reverting back. Hopefully he doesnt. He HAS to hit better w/ RISP.

Lip Man 1
07-19-2004, 05:18 PM
#1 A lead off man. The Sox are threatening the Mets record for lowest batting average in a month in baseball history. Someone has got to start getting on base.

#2 Middle relief. The Sox have two days off the final two and a half months. That's all folks. They need another arm in the pen who is reliable and can keep the club in a game where the starter just doesn't have it.

#3 Catcher. Someone who can play four or five times a week. Alomar can back up and the Sox can cut loose Burke and Davis.

That's how I see it right now, but give it a few days it'll probably change.

Lip

Win1ForMe
07-19-2004, 05:35 PM
I agree that we could shore up our bullpen, but to me, that's absolutely last on
the priority list. Of our 10 recent losses how many of those were due to poor
middle relief/set-up guys? If we're that desperate for middle relief, KW should
just pick up another starter (Pavano?/Benson?) and move Schoney to the pen;
you kill two birds with one stone.

I'd also argue the lineup needs improvement over the pen. We can't continue
with Harris/Uribe, Crede, Davis/Burke/Alomar in the lineup everyday, that's just
too many automatic outs throughout the game.

Aidan
07-19-2004, 06:24 PM
I have a feeling that since KW didn't try to pick up catcher Brian Schneider (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6480) that he has bigger and better plans in mind. As much as I doubt it will happen for financial reasons, Jason Kendall makes the most sense. He would fill our hole at catcher and leadoff man. This could be just a pipe-dream though.