PDA

View Full Version : Getting back to something that worked....

Clarkdog
07-19-2004, 12:05 PM
Now I'm sure to take a lot of fire for this, but this is a message board, and healthy debate is a good thing.

Ozzie should get back to the lineup that was producing so well earlier in the season. Without Thomas, it's going to be difficult, but hopefully Everett can ease that burden some what. But if we continue to try and win games solely on the long ball like we did in Oakland - this team will go nowhere. I heard Wills mention that the Sox have only won 4 games when they did not hit a home run. That is pathetic.

I feel like the Sox need to get Wee Willie in the lineup everyday we face right hander (at least), and Uribe should go back to his role of super utility man. Given their numbers over the last 30 days - no one player really stands out as truly superior to the other. But I noticed Willie's slide begin the day Ozzie stated the Uribe was his everyday 2B. Willie has had a loss of confidence and you can see it in his approach at the plate. But when he gets on base, good things happen for the Sox.

So IMO, the lineup moving forward should be:

Harris/Uribe
Rowand/Uribe/Valentin
Ordonez
Lee
Konerko
Everett
Valentin/Uribe/Rowand
Crede/Uribe
Alomar/Burke/Davis

My opinion. Open fire.

mcfish
07-19-2004, 12:35 PM
I feel like the Sox need to get Wee Willie in the lineup everyday we face right hander (at least), and Uribe should go back to his role of super utility man. Given their numbers over the last 30 days - no one player really stands out as truly superior to the other. But I noticed Willie's slide begin the day Ozzie stated the Uribe was his everyday 2B. Willie has had a loss of confidence and you can see it in his approach at the plate. But when he gets on base, good things happen for the Sox.Good things haven't been happening for the Sox in the rare instance that Willie gets on base lately. It's not just him - the whole team has lost the small ball mentality. I would love to see an inning with 4 singles and a double again, but i don't know how long it will be before that comes close to happening again.

Willie in particular needs to get his confidence back before I would be willing to put him in the lineup everday again, especially leading off. And he needs to STEAL A BASE! His speed means nothing if he won't use it. He has gotten 1 over the weekend to bring his total to 10 for the year. He should have more than that, IMO.

And finally, Aaron was never batting #2 when the team was producing at its best this year. He was in a mild slump when that was happening IIRC. I'm glad he's turned it around, though.

SoxOnTop
07-19-2004, 01:44 PM
This is the time that Oz really needs to get them back to small ball. Moving runners over, hit and runs and not going for bombs on every at-bat. We did these things early in the season and they were a whole lot of fun to watch. But as soon as we get hot and hit a few home runs, everyone just swings for the fences and Ozzie stops putting people in motion. Well, we're done with our HR barage and need to get back to basics. We're dangerously close to corpseball.

Come on OZ! Get them back to basics!!!!

DrummerGeorgefan
07-19-2004, 01:52 PM
Oz should have Everett batting 2nd since he is a contact guy and can get on base to set the stage for the big hitters. Plus, if the leadoff man is aboard, an Everett contact hit may get him over to third with no outs.

WSox8404
07-19-2004, 02:00 PM
You know, I really thought things would be different with Ozzie here. But small ball has all buy dissapeared. I mean in the first game of the year Paul stole a base. I thought that was going to be how the entire year went. Now I would be shocked if Willie stole a base.

Mohoney
07-19-2004, 02:17 PM
Oz should have Everett batting 2nd since he is a contact guy and can get on base to set the stage for the big hitters. Plus, if the leadoff man is aboard, an Everett contact hit may get him over to third with no outs.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Everett at #2 instead of Valentin. Everett strikes out WAY less than Jose.

I was thinking of this lineup.

1 Rowand CF R
2 Everett DH S
3 Ordonez RF R
4 Lee LF R
5 Valentin SS L
6 Konerko 1B R
7 Uribe 2B R
8 Crede 3B R
9 Catcher

Everett at #2 and Valentin at #5 break up some of the right-handed monotony in the middle of the lineup. As far as I'm concerned, Rowand should lead off when Uribe plays 2B. When Willie plays, he leads off. Rowand can slide to #2, Everett goes to #5, and Valentin goes to #7.

Maybe Crede can sit once in a while against tough right-handed pitching. I know that the argument can be made that the only way he can bust out of this season-long slump is with regular at-bats, but I think that going 0fer against quality righty pitchers like Schilling, Radke, or Hudson would be such a setback that I would be willing to sacrifice 20-25 at-bats to avoid it from happening. Uribe can get a few games in at 3B and bat in the #8 hole.