PDA

View Full Version : Who would you replace?

fledgedrallycap
07-19-2004, 10:14 AM
If you were Kenny, which player (Crede, Uribe, Valentin, Catchers) would you actively pusue to replace as it stands today?

In addition, who is a viable replacement at the right price?

fledgedrallycap
07-19-2004, 10:16 AM
If you were Kenny, which player (Crede, Uribe, Valentin, Catchers) do you pursue a replacement?

Who would be a viable player at the right price?

Rocky Soprano
07-19-2004, 10:16 AM
First release Mike Jackson then get a solid catcher.

fledgedrallycap
07-19-2004, 10:18 AM
Sorry about have two threads, Mods please delete. Thanks.

mcfish
07-19-2004, 10:18 AM
Release Mike Jackson, send Neil Cotts to Charlotte, get someone else we can actually use in the bullpen.

OG4LIFE
07-19-2004, 10:21 AM
our catcher position is our biggest hole, and its probably the weakest in the league... as frustrating as crede and uribe have been, they are not nearly as glaring a hole as C position. and valentin!?!? give this guy a break.

its a pretty obvious answer, i think- Catchers :angry:

zach23
07-19-2004, 10:26 AM
I would trade Southpaw for H.R. Puf N' Stuff and cash considerations.

SSN721
07-19-2004, 10:29 AM
As much as I would liek to say Crede, something in me still has faith that he will catch fire in the second half like he did last year. If he doesnt, I see him as expendable as anyone in this time, he has had enough time now to prove himself, had a virus last year, fine, but no excuses this year. But right now catching is by far our biggest hole that needs to be addressed.

OEO Magglio
07-19-2004, 10:30 AM
If you were Kenny, which player (Crede, Uribe, Valentin, Catchers) do you pursue a replacement?

Who would be a viable player at the right price?How can jose even be on this list? To me it's an obvious choice with the cathers.

fledgedrallycap
07-19-2004, 10:30 AM
our catcher position is our biggest hole, and its probably the weakest in the league... as frustrating as crede and uribe have been, they are not nearly as glaring a hole as C position. and valentin!?!? give this guy a break.

its a pretty obvious answer, i think- Catchers :angry:
I'm not picking on Jose, but he does have tendancies that hurt the ball club in terms of prolonged slumps and a low batting average against left handed pitching. Just because a player is like, or even good (Jose is both); doesn't mean there are not options to improve.

I would differ, catching is a hole; but a combo of the three is not horrible. My vote is still with either Crede or Uribe based on the importance both should have in the daily line-up. When Juan is hitting and getting on base, he is great and a sparkplug. Crede's glove is awesome and he has some pop, but he looks so out of sync at the plate...

OEO Magglio
07-19-2004, 10:33 AM
I'm not picking on Jose, but he does have tendancies that hurt the ball club in terms of prolonged slumps and a low batting average against left handed pitching. Just because a player is like, or even good (Jose is both); doesn't mean there are not options to improve.

I would differ, catching is a hole; but a combo of the three is not horrible. My vote is still with either Crede or Uribe based on the importance both should have in the daily line-up. When Juan is hitting and getting on base, he is great and a sparkplug. Crede's glove is awesome and he has some pop, but he looks so out of sync at the plate...Can I hear your idea on how to improve at shortstop? There aren't many better shortstops out there and don't say nomar because he's not an upgrade.

Sox Mobile
07-19-2004, 11:11 AM
As much as I would liek to say Crede, something in me still has faith that he will catch fire in the second half like he did last year. If he doesnt, I see him as expendable as anyone in this time, he has had enough time now to prove himself, had a virus last year, fine, but no excuses this year. But right now catching is by far our biggest hole that needs to be addressed.
Crede is suffering from "konerko-itis" and we all know there is no cure, it just has to run its course. i hope its over soon, its starting to affect his defense.

heres hoping he can string something together against Texas pitching and turn it around! GO JOE!

JRIG
07-19-2004, 11:24 AM
Can I hear your idea on how to improve at shortstop? There aren't many better shortstops out there and don't say nomar because he's not an upgrade.
Well, if we trade Valentin, we can always start Kelly Dransfeldt.

He doesn't strike out as much as Valentin and that's the most important thing.

mcfish
07-19-2004, 11:28 AM
Well, if we trade Valentin, we can always start Kelly Dransfeldt.

He doesn't strike out as much as Valentin and that's the most important thing.
Hey, if you sort the Sox stats by Average, Kelly Dransfeldt is third on the team with a .333 (10 hits in 30 ABs) - behind Neil Cotts at 1.000 and Schoe at .500. And look at Cott's OPS - 3.000. He should be pinch hitting.

fledgedrallycap
07-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Can I hear your idea on how to improve at shortstop? There aren't many better shortstops out there and don't say nomar because he's not an upgrade.
O.K.; I think we're missing the point. Look at his numbers compared to Paulie, Carlos, Rowand and Maggs; I suppose I could of just left him off the poll, but it is just that - a poll.

MisterB
07-19-2004, 12:05 PM

its a pretty obvious answer, i think- Catchers :angry:I took a look at the Sox' offensive numbers position-by-position compared to the rest of the league, and up to this point Sox catchers are only slightly below AL average offensively (although Davis' continued presence will likely bring that even lower). The weakest link right now is Crede. He's one of the least productive 3B in the AL and among regular 3B is the worst in the majors when hitting with RISP (.155/.247/.211). Last year he was arguably the worst offensive 3B in baseball in the first half, but turned it around after the break. We can just pray he does the same this year.

Otherwise I think catcher is the one position we will have to address through player acquisition. Crede still might turn it around, but unless Walker can somehow rebuild Davis into a legitimate ML hitter, catcher will be a sore spot.

maurice
07-19-2004, 12:09 PM
If you were Kenny, which player [] would you actively pusue to replace as it stands today?

In addition, who is a viable replacement at the right price?
I'd replace Schoeneweis and / or Jackson with the best pitcher available.

A leadoff hitter would be nice also, but I don't think any good ones are available.