PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rowand is the Suprise of The Year!

frankthomasisthe
07-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Aaron Rowand is suprising me how good he has been this season. Not only at the bat, but also in the field.

Rowand almost cought the home run ball yesterday to save the game. Rowand is hitting .295 with 11 home runs and 24 RBI. These numbers are a lot better than he has ever done in the majirs.

Last year at sox fest, I met Rowand and you can tell that he was wanting to be a major player on this team and someone the fans can count on.

I say, if they let Rowand play every day like he is now, he will only get better. When Frank Thomas comes back and Everett is no longer the DH, they should let Rowand play centerfield fulltime instead of Everett. Everett should be a great offense on our bench.

idseer
07-19-2004, 10:46 AM
he IS the surprise of the year. followed closely by konerko.

i wonder how far along he'd be if not for the motorcycle crash? he was all set to be the starter at that time.

bad surprise of the year .... has to be crede.

mcfish
07-19-2004, 10:49 AM
he IS the surprise of the year. followed closely by konerko.

i wonder how far along he'd be if not for the motorcycle crash? he was all set to be the starter at that time.

Can Crazy Carl play third base?

Gumshoe
07-19-2004, 11:08 AM
How long is it going to take for these boards to realize the OP's comments? My LORD! AR is carrying this team right now.

And IdSeer, I love you, but Paulie is a surprise? He had one bad year, and this board said crucify him. I'm very happy I've always defended AR and PK ... and Shingo is coming through. They all make me look like a genius. Pull up past threads if you don't believe me.

Did Randar go and hide away?

G:rolleyes:

Randar68
07-19-2004, 11:16 AM
No, unlike you who disappeared the first month and a half of the year when Aaron couldn't catch a cold or hit a beach ball. I'm thrilled he's producing now and his defense recently has been an improvement over the past. If he can keep his swing short and stay in this role where he get's favorable match-ups, he's going to be a nice producer in that role from what I've seen the past couple months.

Dice
07-19-2004, 11:41 AM
In the "Arizona wants..." thread someone stated that Rowand was our 4th outfielder? Can anyone in this thread clear this up for me and tell me who's ahead of Rowand besides Mags and Lee?:?:

ode to veeck
07-19-2004, 11:43 AM
Having watched Crash play CF all weekend in Oakland, I have to saw his defence has greatly improved. He came close to stealing the Sox killer Crosby's HR yesterday, he's got a good arm, and his routes have improved dramatically. He is gettting a much better read on the ball then say a year ago, without the circuitous routes he used to take to the ball I don't understand it, could I be slowly becoming a FOC!?!

misty60481
07-19-2004, 11:45 AM
The way Rowand is playing I would rather have his bat before Lees at least he doesnt take long swings and pop-up Lee tries for fence too much

Randar68
07-19-2004, 11:50 AM
Having watched Crash play CF all weekend in Oakland, I have to saw his defence has greatly improved. He came close to stealing the Sox killer Crosby's HR yesterday, he's got a good arm, and his routes have improved dramatically. He is gettting a much better read on the ball then say a year ago, without the circuitous routes he used to take to the ball I don't understand it, could I be slowly becoming a FOC!?!
This is exactly what I've seen. He's been more decisive and confident in his reads and doesn't hesitate as much on the hard-hit balls as he used to. Like I said, I'm thrilled with his improvement, because after 5 years of the same thing, I never expected him to be able to improve things this much.

idseer
07-19-2004, 11:52 AM
How long is it going to take for these boards to realize the OP's comments? My LORD! AR is carrying this team right now.

And IdSeer, I love you, but Paulie is a surprise? He had one bad year, and this board said crucify him. I'm very happy I've always defended AR and PK ... and Shingo is coming through. They all make me look like a genius. Pull up past threads if you don't believe me.

G:rolleyes:truth is i also predicted paul would recover and be worth (almost) his paycheck. i still think most sox fans expected konerko to be a huge waste of money this year and that's why i made that comment. :smile:

ode to veeck
07-19-2004, 11:53 AM
A lot of CFs wouldn't have even come close to Crosby's ball over the wall in the LC gap ...

SOXSINCE'70
07-19-2004, 12:01 PM
I have long believed that Rowand needed a chance to play every day.Now that he's getting it,you see the results.If it weren't for Lofton in 2002 and the off season biking accident that ruined his '93 campaign,Rowand might be putting up numbers similar to Steve Finley.:bandance: :bandance:

LASOXFAN
07-19-2004, 12:04 PM
oh yes. I nearly put my fist through the screen yesterday when he couldn't bring home that runner from 3rd. I know he was facing Mulder so save your breath - he needed to come up with something out of the infield and he couldn't do it. Period. He's just not that good.

OG4LIFE
07-19-2004, 10:47 PM
i thought it convenient to bump this thread to celebrate crash's performance tonight, going 4-5 with 2 runs, bringing his average up to .307, tops on the team.

SoxFan76
07-19-2004, 10:58 PM
No, unlike you who disappeared the first month and a half of the year when Aaron couldn't catch a cold or hit a beach ball. I'm thrilled he's producing now and his defense recently has been an improvement over the past. If he can keep his swing short and stay in this role where he get's favorable match-ups, he's going to be a nice producer in that role from what I've seen the past couple months.
I was going to say, I don't remember you backing down from any pro-Rowand discussions. I've always been behind Rowand, but I respect that you stand your ground. And frankly, I understand if he played against a lot of RH pitching, he would not be around .300.

But I must say, this Rowand/Timo split has worked out very nicely.

RKMeibalane
07-19-2004, 11:01 PM

G:rolleyes:
Rowand is having a great season. It's great to see someone who has worked as hard as he has making such important contributions to this team. Having said that, I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Rowand has been one of the most consistent hitters on this team over the past month, but he will need to continue to produce in order to lock down the starting job in center field. With the Astros fading, there is still the possibility of the Sox going after Beltran. If Beltran ends up on the South Side, Rowand's playing time will decrease. The only way for Aaron to avoid that is to continue playing well.

owensmouth
07-19-2004, 11:17 PM
This is exactly what I've seen. He's been more decisive and confident in his reads and doesn't hesitate as much on the hard-hit balls as he used to. Like I said, I'm thrilled with his improvement, because after 5 years of the same thing, I never expected him to be able to improve things this much.
Oh my heavens... Somewhere a volcano is erupting

Frater Perdurabo
07-19-2004, 11:27 PM
I am glad that I am being proven wrong by Rowand. Thank goodness we don't have a hole in CF to fill right now.

Now if Crede can just start his 2nd half surge; this team will be in good shape.

owensmouth
07-19-2004, 11:46 PM
I am glad that I am being proven wrong by Rowand. Thank goodness we don't have a hole in CF to fill right now.

Now if Crede can just start his 2nd half surge; this team will be in good shape.
It would be nice , but the bigger need is for Uribe and Willie to get back on board.

munchman33
07-20-2004, 12:04 AM
The way Rowand is playing I would rather have his bat before Lees at least he doesnt take long swings and pop-up Lee tries for fence too much
Now you're talking crazy. His numbers are not comparable. And don't forget, Carlos also has been picking up some free passes this year too.

:caballo
"Don't I have the longest hitting streak of the season this year? And I don't remember going deep too much in that span too."

Evman5
07-20-2004, 12:16 AM
Rowand isn't suprising me one bit. The dude is a gamer. He is a great hustler and leaves it all out on the field. He is a .280 hitter in his young career and it will defintely go up. He is doing exactly what I believed he could do if he was given extended playing time. Sure he isn't a perfect centerfielder, but he is defintely improving and getting better every week. Remember he is not a natural CF and IMO he is doing a heck of a job out there. Plus he is a huge fan of the Beloved..........................DA BEARS!

Fungo
07-20-2004, 09:36 AM
I've been as tough on Rowand as the next guy. Like I said in another thread, I am very happy for the kid. He is a hard worker who has a great work ethic and hustles every play. He's the type of player you'd love to see succeed because of that. He keeps this up and we've got a solid ballplayer on our hands. That being said, I thought he should have robbed the home run in Oakland. He drifted with the ball instead of getting to the fence. Somewhat understandable since it was on the road, but nonetheless one helluva effort.

inta
07-20-2004, 10:09 AM
after roward made those 2 huge defensive plays that saved a victory vs cleveland last month, i was sold on him for good.

he gets big respect in my book. i can see this guying being one of those "where the hell did this guy come from?" type of players during the playoffs.

SoxxoS
07-20-2004, 10:25 AM
I would like to add my apologies to Crash and the FOC as well....I didn't think he'd have a .850 + OPS midway through the year and play solid D.

I am definitely glad to be proven wrong.

kojak
07-20-2004, 04:02 PM
I think Rowand has the potential to be our Lenny Dykstra!

Our biggest need-- even moreso than getting Randy Johnson-- is top of the order OPS! Ozzie needs to put and keep Crash at the top of the order and stop wasting him in the 7 spot. AND HURRY!!!!

Realist
07-20-2004, 04:40 PM
I think Rowand has the potential to be our Lenny Dykstra!

Our biggest need-- even moreso than getting Randy Johnson-- is top of the order OPS! Ozzie needs to put and keep Crash at the top of the order and stop wasting him in the 7 spot. AND HURRY!!!!Top of the Order OPS (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5562) (well OBP at least)

If Kenny makes the move for this guy, I'm taking full credit. :wired: