PDA

View Full Version : Cub Fans, the curse of the Unknowledgable Fan

joeynach
07-19-2004, 10:29 AM
I was thinking this weekend, i know it was hard for me, a lot of cub fans really beleive they are cursed. Now while it really does seem silly, maybe they are actually right. As homewood days this weekend turned into a gigantic fuel of cubs vs. sox apparel and shouting cubs suck or sucks suck i noticed something. I saw all these people from High School that i havent seen in year and a lot them were in some form or another now rooting for the cubs (they dont deserve to be called fans). They wore the same cub hats and shirts we saw on all those bandwagoners during last years playoffs and when anyone mentioned or was wearing anything sox they would try and say something stupid.

So there it is. If the cubs are cursed its because they have a following of mindless idiots who dont know crap about the game, sports, team, or history. The cubs have the most bandwagon and casual fans i have ever seen in my life, and of course they all claim to be cubs fans for life and die hards. When the truth is they basically jumped on the bandwagon, are now old enough to drink at Mardi Gras wrigley, and now thinking the cubs are popular remeber seeing them on wgn every now and then during their childhood. So i make the point that if the cubs are crused its the curse of the unknowledgeable and/or casual fan. At this rate we can see they as a fanbase dont even deserve a championship, even after 95 years. The redsox haven't won in forever either, but dont carry a reputation of anything less than the most knowledgeable passionate fans in all of baseball. The cubs might indeed be cursed, but its there own fault, they turned there park into playground and party, alienating real cub fans and have thus created a following of mindless idiotic trolls. They have suceeded in cursing themselves.

Baby Fisk
07-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Right on.

Cub fans = ignorant bandwagoners
Red Sox fans = self-flagellating masochists
Yankee fans = shallow popularity chasers
Cardinal fans = the real deal, but they already got plenty of WS's.
White Sox fans = the real deal & most deserving of a WS

:thankgod

Sox Mobile
07-19-2004, 01:06 PM
I was really looking forward to this year, i thought it was going to be big fun to watch the Cub fans squirm when the Cubs went back to their losing ways.

however, i was giving the Cubs fans way too much credit. i thought they would actually care about winning, and feel the pain of losing.

but no! they just eased right back into their "lovable loser" mode.

the Chicago media has more invested in the Cubs winning, they dont want to have egg all over their faces after tooting the Cubs horns.

but the Cub fans truely love their "curse", they would be lost without it. Without it, they would have to care about winning, and that might spoil alot of weekends for them!

JB98
07-19-2004, 01:20 PM
I was really looking forward to this year, i thought it was going to be big fun to watch the Cub fans squirm when the Cubs went back to their losing ways.

however, i was giving the Cubs fans way too much credit. i thought they would actually care about winning, and feel the pain of losing.

the Chicago media has more invested in the Cubs winning, they dont want to have egg all over their faces after tooting the Cubs horns.

but the Cub fans truely love their "curse", they would be lost without it. Without it, they would have to care about winning, and that might spoil alot of weekends for them!
I think the Cubs are losing because their fans are arrogant. When they went up 3-1 on the Marlins, all the Cub fans started talking about beating the Yankees, as if finishing off the NLCS was a mere formality. Naturally, the team went right down the crapper.

Then, this preseason, the Cub fans were talking about beating the Yankees. As if qualifying for the postseason and advancing through the NL playoffs is a mere formality. Then, poof! Half the team goes on the disabled list. The team struggled for most of the first half and continues to struggle now.

The baseball gods frown upon people who are arrogant. You should always be humble in victory, because this game can turn on you so fast. Cub fans have never learned that you shouldn't count your chickens.

HebrewHammer
07-19-2004, 01:23 PM
So what are they going to blow up this offseason? Rey Ordonez? I could just picture Rey in the plastic box with wires hooked up to him and the Rey-Explosion countdown in the corner of the screen, with an interview with Jim Belushi, "It's time we ended this curse, if we have to blow up Rey to do it, well so be it."

Uncle_Patrick
07-19-2004, 02:44 PM

but the Cub fans truely love their "curse", they would be lost without it. Without it, they would have to care about winning, and that might spoil alot of weekends for them!I think the thing that we as Sox fans fail to truly grasp about many Cubs fans (excluding the few, really die-hard baseball fans that they have) is that its not about the game, its about the "event", and we don't think that way. Its about Wrigley, drinking a beer in the sun, the girls in bikini tops, the celebrities in the stands. They have cutesy little curses that make losing so fun! Its about a goat, a black cat, a nerdy fan, whatever. The only baseball-related items of interest are a Shammy homer or a strikeout by Kerry or the Messiah. Let's not forget that these morons invented one of baseball's worst traditions, throwing the home run ball back on the field.

For us Sox fans, its about wanting our team to win. Demanding that we win. When the Sox lose, Sox fans don't sit back and say "Whatever, its the Sox. Bring me a beer and show me a broad in a bikini." We say "What the **** is their problem? Fire (insert manager's name), trade (insert player's name)! Get a new owner!" I love US Cellular, but I don't go see the White Sox because of US Cellular. I go to US Cellular because of the White Sox.

The Cubs fans aren't squirming this year because the "event" is still happening. They can still go to Wrigley, and they can go to some bar afterwards. If the Cubs win, great, if they don't, the fans can still get ripped and lament that they are "cursed". Its still a party.

When the Sox do better this year, the Cubs fans will tell us they still have Wrigley. That should say it all about what they really care about.

joeynach
07-19-2004, 04:01 PM
I think the thing that we as Sox fans fail to truly grasp about many Cubs fans (excluding the few, really die-hard baseball fans that they have) is that its not about the game, its about the "event", and we don't think that way. Its about Wrigley, drinking a beer in the sun, the girls in bikini tops, the celebrities in the stands. They have cutesy little curses that make losing so fun! Its about a goat, a black cat, a nerdy fan, whatever. The only baseball-related items of interest are a Shammy homer or a strikeout by Kerry or the Messiah. Let's not forget that these morons invented one of baseball's worst traditions, throwing the home run ball back on the field.

For us Sox fans, its about wanting our team to win. Demanding that we win. When the Sox lose, Sox fans don't sit back and say "Whatever, its the Sox. Bring me a beer and show me a broad in a bikini." We say "What the **** is their problem? Fire (insert manager's name), trade (insert player's name)! Get a new owner!" I love US Cellular, but I don't go see the White Sox because of US Cellular. I go to US Cellular because of the White Sox.

The Cubs fans aren't squirming this year because the "event" is still happening. They can still go to Wrigley, and they can go to some bar afterwards. If the Cubs win, great, if they don't, the fans can still get ripped and lament that they are "cursed". Its still a party.

When the Sox do better this year, the Cubs fans will tell us they still have Wrigley. That should say it all about what they really care about.
This is the best post i have ever read, hands down. Too bad for us, but good for them, that the event sells more tickets and makes more $$ than the team. No wonder they sell out with a 95 loss season. If my team lost 95 games i would frikin move away, not wear it as a badge.