PDA

View Full Version : Joe Borchard sent down...

Aidan
07-18-2004, 11:23 PM
Just heard on WSCR670 The Score. So long Joe. You're time here was short. Hope you start ripping the ball in Charlotte again.

Welcome back, "Crazy Carl"!!!
:supernana:
:everett:
"I'M BACK!!!"
:supernana:

SoxFan76
07-18-2004, 11:24 PM
Just heard on WSCR670 The Score. So long Joe. You're time here was short. Hope you start ripping the ball in Charlotte again.
Good move, nobody can really debate this decision. Borchard doesn't need to sit on the bench.

In other words, no surprise.

Cowch44
07-18-2004, 11:39 PM
I was thinking they shoulda sent down a catcher too.

Aidan
07-18-2004, 11:41 PM
I was thinking they shoulda sent down a catcher too.They will do that when Kenny trades for Jason Kendall. :o:

Cowch44
07-18-2004, 11:42 PM
They will do that when Kenny trades for Jason Kendall. :o:
Well, you were right about Everett.:D:

WSox8404
07-18-2004, 11:42 PM
They will do that when Kenny trades for Jason Kendall. :o:
I hope you are right. I had all I can take of Ben Davis.

Aidan
07-18-2004, 11:46 PM
Well, you were right about Everett.:D:Thanks, you're one of the only people who remembers that I said Kenny would get Everett again over a week ago. :redface:

jabrch
07-18-2004, 11:46 PM
I hope you are right. I had all I can take of Ben Davis.
Actually, I kinda like Davis. Not sure why - but he seems to have good instincts behind the plate. It's not like Olivo was tearing it up offensively (.270/.316/.496) while he was here. (yeah, I know - .100/.100/.100 sucks for Davis)

Give the kid a chance. If we get Kendall, I'd be thrilled. If not, Alomar/Burke/Davis isn't the end of the world.

Aidan
07-18-2004, 11:54 PM
Actually, I kinda like Davis. Not sure why - but he seems to have good instincts behind the plate. It's not like Olivo was tearing it up offensively (.270/.316/.496) while he was here. (yeah, I know - .100/.100/.100 sucks for Davis)

Give the kid a chance. If we get Kendall, I'd be thrilled. If not, Alomar/Burke/Davis isn't the end of the world.I kinda like him too for some reason. He's like Paulie "The Great White Hope" Konerko to me. He seems to handle Freddy Garcia extremely well and has already proven to be a good defensive catcher. If only he could start hitting like he was supposed to. A switch-hitting catcher with some pop would be a great thing for our lineup.

Cowch44
07-18-2004, 11:55 PM
A switch-hitting catcher with some pop would be a great thing for our lineup.
Jeez, I forgot he was a switch hitter.:?:

joeynach
07-19-2004, 01:59 AM
I was thinking they shoulda sent down a catcher too.
Yeah why send down borachard he is way more valuable off the bench then davis. I dont even know why we sre carrying 3 catchers anyway. Davis stinks. He needs to be in AAA now. Even if Oz prefers 3 cathers the fact that Davis hits .088 should persuade him that its not worth it. In fact i dont care what they do with borchard, as long as they get Davis off the roster.

MUsoxfan
07-19-2004, 02:00 AM
A .267 AAA player was just what we needed. Go back and impress the scouts even more. No wonder Seattle didn't want this guy.

soxtalker
07-19-2004, 08:07 AM
Yeah why send down borachard he is way more valuable off the bench then davis. I dont even know why we sre carrying 3 catchers anyway. Davis stinks. He needs to be in AAA now. Even if Oz prefers 3 cathers the fact that Davis hits .088 should persuade him that its not worth it. In fact i dont care what they do with borchard, as long as they get Davis off the roster.
I'm a bit puzzled by the constant Davis bashing. He hasn't been here that long, and the coaching staff needs some time to work with him. He has been struggling at the plate, but so is most of the team. If we did acquire a catcher, he'd probably be sent to AAA for work. On the positive side, he does appear to be able to handle the pitchers (plus knows Garcia) and play good defense.

jabrch
07-19-2004, 08:15 AM
Yeah why send down borachard he is way more valuable off the bench then davis.
Borchard needs to get the ABs in every day. If he won't get them here, he is going to go down to Charlotte to get them.

jabrch
07-19-2004, 08:16 AM
I'm a bit puzzled by the constant Davis bashing.
It often seems that anyone not named Frank or Magglio gets bashed regularly - and those guys get bashed every other day. There's no reason to bash Davis yet. He hasn't had nearly enough of an opportunity to show if he can be a platoon C, a defensive C or a starter.

SoxFan76
07-19-2004, 09:10 AM
Thanks, you're one of the only people who remembers that I said Kenny would get Everett again over a week ago. :redface:
Uuuhhhh, everybody said we were going to get Carl Everett months ago when Maggs got hurt.

Terminated
07-19-2004, 09:18 AM
So long Borchard!

mcfish
07-19-2004, 09:56 AM
So how many short stints at the big club is this for Borchard now? Has he ever had a whole month on the Sox to have a chance to get used to the big league? Most of his games were in Oakland for crying out loud. I don't know why, but no one on our team seems to hit there - ever. Borchard is never going to make it if he's only given 6 games at a time.

Randar68
07-19-2004, 11:09 AM
So how many short stints at the big club is this for Borchard now? Has he ever had a whole month on the Sox to have a chance to get used to the big league? Most of his games were in Oakland for crying out loud. I don't know why, but no one on our team seems to hit there - ever. Borchard is never going to make it if he's only given 6 games at a time.
It's hard to break players into the majors when you're always in a desperate/close playoff race

mcfish
07-19-2004, 11:25 AM
It's hard to break players into the majors when you're always in a desperate/close playoff raceI see your point and agree, but we should have called him up 3-4 weeks sooner, as soon as Maggs was sent to the DL. That would have been closer at least to a long enough stay to give an idea of how he could perform.

That being said, I'm glad they sent Borchard down instead of sitting Rowand. He's got the best BA on the team right now at .295 (by the way, will the Sox ever have 3 players batting above .300? Why are the averages always so low here?). Let's ride out the hot bat of AR.

Randar68
07-19-2004, 11:40 AM
I see your point and agree, but we should have called him up 3-4 weeks sooner, as soon as Maggs was sent to the DL. That would have been closer at least to a long enough stay to give an idea of how he could perform.

That being said, I'm glad they sent Borchard down instead of sitting Rowand. He's got the best BA on the team right now at .295 (by the way, will the Sox ever have 3 players batting above .300? Why are the averages always so low here?). Let's ride out the hot bat of AR.Borchard was nursing IIRC a pulled hammy right at that time, and they wanted him to get some AB's to make sure he was healthy and ready to play, not be a liability. I have no problem with that as long as Burke and Gload aren't in RF, that was a disaster.