PDA

View Full Version : Magglio To Stay Our Franchise

frankthomasisthe
07-19-2004, 12:23 AM
Magglio Ordonez is the franchise of the White Sox.

Magglio is the future of the White Sox. I can't believe my ears, when I hear alot of the sox fans say we should trade him to Atlanta. Magglio is going to be one of the best players ever to play the game.

This is why it is a must that the White Sox resign him. Magglio is a lot better than Andruw Jones, and the White Sox will not be able to sign Andrew Jones to a long term deal.

Without Magglio, I don't think that the White Sox can make it to the playoffs. If Magglio is lost to another team, I think that will kick the feet out from under the White Sox. This is because, I think that the White Sox would go threw another rebuilding phase like they did with "These Kids Can Play". Bottom Line KEEP MAGGLIO ORDONEZ!

Let me switch to Carl Everett. This guy is a great pick up. He is a really good switch hitter that I love to watch play. In fact, Last year I got a foul ball he hit. I think Everett will do a great job while Frank is out.

Cowch44
07-19-2004, 12:38 AM
....that Atlanta thing is pretty old...but welcome aboard anyway:redneck

MUsoxfan
07-19-2004, 02:58 AM
Magglio Ordonez is the franchise of the White Sox.

Magglio is the future of the White Sox. I can't believe my ears, when I hear alot of the sox fans say we should trade him to Atlanta. Magglio is going to be one of the best players ever to play the game.

This is why it is a must that the White Sox resign him. Magglio is a lot better than Andruw Jones, and the White Sox will not be able to sign Andrew Jones to a long term deal.

Without Magglio, I don't think that the White Sox can make it to the playoffs. If Magglio is lost to another team, I think that will kick the feet out from under the White Sox. This is because, I think that the White Sox would go threw another rebuilding phase like they did with "These Kids Can Play". Bottom Line KEEP MAGGLIO ORDONEZ!

Read my other post regarding the awful investment that would be made if we were to resign this guy. He's a tool and I don't ever want to see him in a Sox uniform again. He's an embarressment

nasox
07-19-2004, 04:17 AM
Read my other post regarding the awful investment that would be made if we were to resign this guy. He's a tool and I don't ever want to see him in a Sox uniform again. He's an embarressment
In the end, we're all tools......:bandance:

South Side
07-19-2004, 04:57 AM
Did you miss the teal button or am I missing something?

compy75
07-19-2004, 08:27 AM
Do me a favor and take a look at baseball-reference's comparable players to Maggs...not one is in the Hall of Fame...

fquaye149
07-19-2004, 08:54 AM
^^^gee what does that mean?

a.) not a lot of players are in the hall of fame

b.) baseball reference, which is just a website doesn't think he's like hall of famers

Yes, Magglio isn't the best player in baseball right now, and he's asking for way too much money, but the reality is, there's a lot of buyers for him right now, and even if he doesn't deserve vlad money, he WILL get it. A lot of people are saying we shouldn't pay him Vlad money because he's not as good as Vlad, but it's not as though we can spend the money on Vlad instead. Magglio is an important part of our offense. He's almost automatic for 30 home runs and 100 RBI. If we can spend the money on something valuable to our team (starting pitching or a centerfielder) I guess I'm in favor of letting Maggs go. But I think there's a lot worse ways to spend the money then on one of the best power hitters ever to play for the White Sox.

jabrch
07-19-2004, 09:04 AM
but the reality is, there's a lot of buyers for him right now, and even if he doesn't deserve vlad money, he WILL get it.
Will he? I was thinking about that on my way to work today. Who will give him that kind of money?

NYY already has corner OFs and DH locked up. They want Beltran.
Boston has no use for him

Baltimore has more pressing needs

Texas is stacked

Seattle is looking to go young.

Atlanta isn't adding payroll

Philly doesn't need a corner

etc. etc.

As I see it, only the Mets, the Dodgers and the Giants have the money - and the need for a RF. The Mets have been thrilled with Hidalgo's play - and are talking about extending him. The Dodgers are cutting payroll. The Giants? I guess.

I just wonder if Magglio is overestimating his market value. He better start hitting if he is going to command that sort of money.

Blob
07-19-2004, 09:23 AM
^^^gee what does that mean?

a.) not a lot of players are in the hall of fame

b.) baseball reference, which is just a website doesn't think he's like hall of famers

Yes, Magglio isn't the best player in baseball right now, and he's asking for way too much money, but the reality is, there's a lot of buyers for him right now, and even if he doesn't deserve vlad money, he WILL get it. A lot of people are saying we shouldn't pay him Vlad money because he's not as good as Vlad, but it's not as though we can spend the money on Vlad instead. Magglio is an important part of our offense. He's almost automatic for 30 home runs and 100 RBI. If we can spend the money on something valuable to our team (starting pitching or a centerfielder) I guess I'm in favor of letting Maggs go. But I think there's a lot worse ways to spend the money then on one of the best power hitters ever to play for the White Sox.You are absolutely right. Yes, he is good. No, he is not worth that kind of money. Yes, someone else will surely pay him what he wants. But, he has said he wants to stay here. There is nothing wrong with the Sox offer. Except maybe it has deferred money. A lot of contracts now a days do that. And we have discussed it does not mean that much to him, money wise, to defer some money.

If he TRULY wants to stay here he'll resign. I think he may be playing the "wait 'em out" game and see if the Sox offer more.

Cuckdafubs
07-19-2004, 09:40 AM
The money that we offered Maggs is plenty, it is probably way more than he deserves and im tired of his bull**** about how he wants to stay in chicago. if he really wanted to (which he should cuz we love him) he would take what we offered him and stay on the team, esp now that he had that injury. its not like maggs and his children (who have the stupidest names ever, magglio, jr and maggliana, talk about arrogance...) are gonna go hungry if he doesnt make 80 million bucks. if maggs really wants to stay, take what we offer, im pissed at him, i dont think he is our best player neways...

SoxFan76
07-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Magglio is not one of the best players in the game. Sadly, worse players will get into the hall of fame waaay before Magglio. (and I understand that at this point, Magglio won't even make the HOF)

But, Maggs is a 5 tool player that the Sox need. Since Olivo and Reed are gone, Maggs is really the only 5 tool player left outside of AA and A ball.

He is far from the best players ever. Frank is 10 times the hitter Magglio will ever be.

Wealz
07-19-2004, 12:37 PM
My thinking is that the window for Ordonez to come back next year was closed with the Everett deal. Everett has a $4M player option for next year that he almost assuredly will pick up. Barring the unforseen like Thomas opting for free agency he'll be your right fielder.

They'll have $46.5M tied up in 8 players (Buehrle, Everett, Garcia, Konerko, Lee, Marte, Thomas, Takatsu)

bartmanisgod
07-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Maggs is not worth the money... Personally I think he's screwed if he doesn't accept the white sox supposed 14 mil offer...

He puts up 11 mil numbers so I say there is no way someone gives him the type of money he is looking for!

Unless he has an unbelievable second half no chance he gets more than we offered him!

ewokpelts
07-19-2004, 12:42 PM
. Magglio is a lot better than Andruw Jones, and the White Sox will not be able to sign Andrew Jones to a long term deal.

Andru Jones is already signed to Hot-lanta for 3 more years. If we dealt for him, we wouldnt need to resign him til 2007.
Gene

JohnBasedowYoda
07-19-2004, 12:45 PM
In the end, we're all tools......:bandance:
No in the end we're all just bricks in the wall

pearso66
07-19-2004, 12:48 PM
I don't understand how people say pay him what he wants. If we did that with every player, we'd have a 600 mil payroll. You pay him what he's worth, and if someone overpays, oh well. I think we got lucky he didn't take the offer we gave him, as its more than he's worth. I'd say give him no more than 12 mil a year, for 4 years, and an TEAM option for the 5th year. maybe give him an option of opting out after the 3rd year, but He has to pay the buyout. That way if he is playing better and thinks he deserves more, then He has to pay to get out of our contract to see.

Lip Man 1
07-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Phil Arvia in Monday's Daily Southtown has a column that explains that because of pure economic reasons, the acquisition of Everett now guarantees that Orodonez will be leaving the Sox at the end of the season.

It reminds me of what Phil Rogers said two years ago, that it is impossible under the Sox self imposed economic restrictions to be able to hang on to Ordonez, Konerko, Thomas and Lee all right handed hitters who all basically do the same thing.

Lip

gosox41
07-19-2004, 01:50 PM
My thinking is that the window for Ordonez to come back next year was closed with the Everett deal. Everett has a $4M player option for next year that he almost assuredly will pick up. Barring the unforseen like Thomas opting for free agency he'll be your right fielder.

They'll have $46.5M tied up in 8 players (Buehrle, Everett, Garcia, Konerko, Lee, Marte, Thomas, Takatsu)
I was gong to post the exact same thing. Unless Everett gets hot and hits a ton and the Sox are able to trade him it looks like the Sox will be stuck with him next year like it or not.

I don't see them spending an additional $14 mill. on Ordonez, also. Especially if Rowand continues to hit (a big if) and with Borchard/Anderson waiting in the wings.

Bob

gosox41
07-19-2004, 01:52 PM
Phil Arvia in Monday's Daily Southtown has a column that explains that because of pure economic reasons, the acquisition of Everett now guarantees that Orodonez will be leaving the Sox at the end of the season.

It reminds me of what Phil Rogers said two years ago, that it is impossible under the Sox self imposed economic restrictions to be able to hang on to Ordonez, Konerko, Thomas and Lee all right handed hitters who all basically do the same thing.

Lip
And the Sox don't need to be hanging on to all right handed hitters who do the same thing. It may be possible to trade Konerko or Lee during the offseason and bring back Magglio, but doubtful.

If this teams makes a deep playoff run that brings in more revenue this year as well as getting more fans buying tickets next year. This would help ease those economic restrictions.

Bob

maggliofan10
07-19-2004, 10:39 PM
The money that we offered Maggs is plenty, it is probably way more than he deserves and im tired of his bull**** about how he wants to stay in chicago. if he really wanted to (which he should cuz we love him) he would take what we offered him and stay on the team, esp now that he had that injury. its not like maggs and his children (who have the stupidest names ever, magglio, jr and maggliana, talk about arrogance...) are gonna go hungry if he doesnt make 80 million bucks. if maggs really wants to stay, take what we offer, im pissed at him, i dont think he is our best player neways...
ARROGANT??? EVER WATCH THE MAN TALK ON TV?? GUESS NOT CUZ U CAN HARDLY HEAR HIM!!! Magglio means something along the lines of good luck or something like that. He's hispanic which mean english isn't his first language. It's a different language obviously. Maybe if you actually had half a brain you'd know that. Or actually had the sense to shut your mouth and keep stupid comments like that to yourself. Greedy yes he is being greedy but not arrogant. arrogant is a different thing completely. Arrogant is defined as making or disposed to make, exorbitant claims of rank, estimation, or importance; assuming; haughty. He is greedy not arogant. Greedy is having eager desire.

Daver
07-19-2004, 10:44 PM
But, Maggs is a 5 tool player that the Sox need. Since Olivo and Reed are gone, Maggs is really the only 5 tool player left outside of AA and A ball.

Magglio's range and arm do not equate to a five tool player, by any stretch of the imagination.

munchman33
07-19-2004, 10:45 PM
For anyone who thinks Magglio deserves the money he's asking for or that he is a franchise player, take a look at this reply I posted in another thread:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=449637#post449637

RKMeibalane
07-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Magglio's range and arm do not equate to a five tool player, by any stretch of the imagination.
Agreed. And, if trading Maggs means the Sox can accquire Carlos Beltran, I'd make the deal without hesitation.

fquaye149
07-19-2004, 11:25 PM
Agreed. And, if trading Maggs means the Sox can accquire Carlos Beltran, I'd make the deal without hesitation.
Is Beltran any more likely to be resigned than Maggs?

I think he'll command more money this offseason, and I wouldn't take Beltran over Maggs and cash.

munchman33
07-20-2004, 12:00 AM
Is Beltran any more likely to be resigned than Maggs?

I think he'll command more money this offseason, and I wouldn't take Beltran over Maggs and cash.
Beltran is twice the player Maggs is. He's a top defender, probably the fastest guy in baseball, a switch hitter, a power hitter, and can lead off, hit third, cleanup, whatever you want. And the guy is clutch.

While he'll command more money than Maggs, he's actually worth the money. I have no problem giving big money to free agents. But Maggs doesn't deserve what he's asking for.