PDA

View Full Version : Center versus DH

bennyw41
07-19-2004, 12:10 AM
why must Everrett be put in centerfield? I just don't get it. Sorry if this has been covered, but I think he should stick to DH and maybe right to spell maggs.

jabrch
07-19-2004, 12:11 AM
why must Everrett be put in centerfield? I just don't get it. Sorry if this has been covered, but I think he should stick to DH and maybe right to spell maggs.
I don't think anyone plans to play him in CF every day. I thought he was being brought in to DH. Rowand is playing good CF these days.

bennyw41
07-19-2004, 12:12 AM
I don't think anyone plans to play him in CF every day. I thought he was being brought in to DH. Rowand is playing good CF these days.
I agree, I like Rowand in there at center, but the espn reports he will most likely be in center.

jabrch
07-19-2004, 12:13 AM
I agree, I like Rowand in there at center, but the espn reports he will most likely be in center.
Then ESPN is out of the freaking minds. There is no way we plan to play Everett in CF every day. Maybe an occasional start there against a tough righty to spell Rowand - but no way is that the plan on a reglar basis.

doublem23
07-19-2004, 12:15 AM
I agree, I like Rowand in there at center, but the espn reports he will most likely be in center.I would assume Ozzie keeps using Rowand the same way he has been, primarily against left-handed pitching. Who knows past there? :dunno:

South Side
07-19-2004, 12:24 AM
That would be horrible. Aaron is playing good in CF and I don't think he should be screwed over like that.

Aidan
07-19-2004, 12:32 AM
ESPN is wrong. Everett is going to start in RF tomorrow until Maggs can play there. Rowand will still play CF. Once Maggs can play the field, Carl will be our DH until Frank comes back. When Frank is back, the White Sox could put Everett in CF.

CanOfCorn
07-19-2004, 12:35 AM
I think Everett killed Rowand's momentum last year. If my memory serves me correct, Rowand was on a hot streak at the time they traded for Carl.

Carl played great for us, but I think it hurt Rowand's progression a lot. I hope it doesn't happen this year. I don't get why Carl wouldn't be DHing, seeing that he was brought in primarily to replace Frank.

Aidan
07-19-2004, 12:48 AM
I think Everett killed Rowand's momentum last year. If my memory serves me correct, Rowand was on a hot streak at the time they traded for Carl.

Carl played great for us, but I think it hurt Rowand's progression a lot. I hope it doesn't happen this year. I don't get why Carl wouldn't be DHing, seeing that he was brought in primarily to replace Frank.Everett probably did kill Rowand's momentum last year because he was hitting well right before we acquired Carl. But since Carl will be DH'ing this time around, it won't ruin Rowand's playing time. Only when Frank comes back could I see Everett starting over Rowand in CF.

Cowch44
07-19-2004, 12:53 AM
Isn't Everett a natural Left Fielder? Not that I want Carlos outa there, but I think he is.

WSox8404
07-19-2004, 12:56 AM
He will primarily DH until Frank comes back. Rowand is better in center than Carl is anyday. And Rowand is our most consistant hitter right now.

Aidan
07-19-2004, 01:22 AM
Isn't Everett a natural Left Fielder? Not that I want Carlos outa there, but I think he is.He seems to have played every outfield position...
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/fielding?statsId=5073

Here's some surprising numbers. These are how many games Carl has played at each outfield position...

Center Field: 756 games played
Right Field: 329 games played
Left Field: 153 games played

LF is Carl's least played position. Obviously, Carl played most of those games in CF earlier in his career but The Cell's CF is very easy to play so he could probably get it done if needed. Remember, Carl only had 2 errors in CF in 66 games for the White Sox last season. However, I dont see Rowand being taken out of CF anytime soon as long as his bat stays hot. Carl should be fine in RF until Maggs can play there. Then we will have Carl as our DH where he belongs.

OurBitchinMinny
07-19-2004, 02:38 AM
The only way I see him in center is if Frank comes back and maggs returns to the field. Of course rowand would have to come back to earth (which he will Rowand fans). Other than that he will be in RF until maggs gets back out there, then he will be DH until frank gets back, if he does

MUsoxfan
07-19-2004, 02:42 AM
Between this and other posts it may seem to most that I'm really pissed off today, and I'm really not.....just really honest. I really have no idea why we acquired Everett. It's not even like he helped us that much last year. He was an average hitter with a very sub-par fielding ability. We have a team that can hit. Maybe not last week, or this week, but this team can hit. A left-handed bat is nice, but not necessary. We got a deal for him, but I don't want this guy fielding at any level. I think he's a viable replacement for Frank as a bat. Aaron is playing much too well to have his position in the field taken away by a guy that can't field. I believe that Aaron may be a key component to the future of the Sox and it would kill me to see an outsider take over for him at an ability that doesn't even come close to matching up. KW should stop trying to replace a .290 hitter with a guy that can hit but is a large liability in the field

Aidan
07-19-2004, 02:51 AM
Between this and other posts it may seem to most that I'm really pissed off today, and I'm really not.....just really honest. I really have no idea why we acquired Everett. It's not even like he helped us that much last year. He was an average hitter with a very sub-par fielding ability. We have a team that can hit. Maybe not last week, or this week, but this team can hit. A left-handed bat is nice, but not necessary. We got a deal for him, but I don't want this guy fielding at any level. I think he's a viable replacement for Frank as a bat. Aaron is playing much too well to have his position in the field taken away by a guy that can't field. I believe that Aaron may be a key component to the future of the Sox and it would kill me to see an outsider take over for him at an ability that doesn't even come close to matching up. KW should stop trying to replace a .290 hitter with a guy that can hit but is a large liability in the fieldAverage hitter? He was clutch as hell last season. What games were you watching?

Carl Everett's stats with the White Sox last season (73 games):
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/fielding?statsId=5073
.301 AVG
.850 OPS
10 HR
41 RBI

In 75 games playing the outfield for the Sox, Carl only had 2 errors. Both errors came when he was in CF for 66 games.

Anyways, the only time Rowand MAY lose his spot in CF is when Frank comes back in 8 weeks. Then Ozzie may elect to put Carl in CF since Maggs will be in RF and Frank will be back as our DH. And this would only happen if Rowand stops hitting and Carl is on a tear. Right now, Carl will be in RF until Maggs is 100% healthy to play there. Then Carl will be out DH. What the hell is the big problem here?

MUsoxfan
07-19-2004, 02:55 AM
Average hitter? He was clutch as hell last season. What games were you watching?

Carl Everett's stats with the White Sox last season (73 games):
.301 AVG
.850 OPS
10 HR
41 RBI

In 75 games playing the outfield for the Sox, Carl only had 2 errors. Both errors came when he was in CF for 66 games.
He has no speed. I'm personally much more comfortable with Rowand in the field. I think Crazy Carl will be a nice fit for Frank's DH role (because I want Magglio's overpaid ass actually working in the field), but as far as everything else, Rowand is a much better CF.

Aidan
07-19-2004, 03:00 AM
He has no speed. I'm personally much more comfortable with Rowand in the field. I think Crazy Carl will be a nice fit for Frank's DH role (because I want Magglio's overpaid ass actually working in the field), but as far as everything else, Rowand is a much better CF.Agreed. Carl is getting older (33) and definately does not have the speed he once had (27 stolen bases in 1999) but I think he could still get the job done. The Cell's CF is very easy to play compared to most ballparks. Now, on the road I definately would not play Carl in CF but at The Cell I wouldn't be too worried. He may not have the speed anymore but for most of his career he has been in CF. Hopefully, Rowand keeps hitting and this becomes a non-issue because he sure has been impressive...

Aaron Rowand
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6742
.295 AVG
.335 OBP
.536 SLG
11 HR
24 RBI
9 SB

OzzieBall2004
07-19-2004, 03:01 AM
Carls numbers from last year speak for themselves, but a lot can change in a year. I hate the arguement that players in Montreal cant "get up" and a change of scenery will make everything better. Also, Carl had two injuries this year, and you never know what kind of long term impact they had on his abilities. If they nag, we're f-ed.

But regardless, somethings always better than nothing, and I hardly see this as KW's last move to replace Franks production. I read in Baseball Weekly that KW was going to pursue Beltran and if it fell through, he was going to land Everett. Perhaps with the loss of Thomas KW is just making both moves now. I also read we're gonna try to get Livan, which would also be a boost to our inconsistent pitching staff. Im off the Randy Johnson bandwagon, not because I dont want him, but I dont see him going anywhere anymore.

Aidan
07-19-2004, 03:04 AM
Carls numbers from last year speak for themselves, but a lot can change in a year. I hate the arguement that players in Montreal cant "get up" and a change of scenery will make everything better.Perhaps, but look at what happened to Michael Barrett (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=6098). I hate to admit it but he went from being a scrub in Montreal to tearing it up with the Scrubbies. Some of those Expos players must be depressed as hell and it has to affect their performance. And Carl was injured AND probably depressed.

Aidan
07-19-2004, 04:10 AM
White Sox | Ordonez to Remain at DH - from www.KFFL.com
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:30:59 -0700

Updating previous items, the Associated Press reports Chicago White Sox OF Magglio Ordonez will remain as the team's designated hitter because new acquisition, OF Carl Everett, will play in the field, according to White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.Crazy Carl in RF, Aaron Rowand in CF, and Maggs as DH. Fine with me.

Nellie_Fox
07-19-2004, 04:19 AM
He has no speed.There's the important part of the equation.

Carl has never had good defensive instincts. He breaks the wrong way on fly balls way too often and gets into a "circling the wagons" mode.

When he was young he had the speed to overcome this; he could run the ball down after misplaying it initially. He can no longer do this. He is a defensive liability no matter what field he is in.