PDA

View Full Version : Rangers?

South Side
07-18-2004, 09:40 PM
So what is everyone's expectations for the next 2 games? Texas is 14 games over .500. We beat them in May... It would be nice to win both.

Aidan
07-18-2004, 09:46 PM
Well, we beat them two out of three in May but that was when our bats were on fire. If the bats show up for the series we can win but we desperately need to get back home at the Cell where we play good baseball. :(:

Texas just put up 6 runs in the 8th inning to overtake Toronto 7-5. :o:

Rudy Law
07-18-2004, 10:12 PM
Texas doesn't have the pitching Oakland does. So that can help the bats out a little...The pitching really hasn't been the problem.....If we can shut them out twice in a row at Comiskular, then we can do it down there......I'll be happy if we go 2-2 the rest of the way on this trip, go 3-5 on the trip and come back home and put this trip behind us.

South Side
07-18-2004, 10:23 PM
Texas doesn't have the pitching Oakland does. So that can help the bats out a little...The pitching really hasn't been the problem.....If we can shut them out twice in a row at Comiskular, then we can do it down there......I'll be happy if we go 2-2 the rest of the way on this trip, go 3-5 on the trip and come back home and put this trip behind us.
Unfortunately, it seems as if we have to do that with every road trip. :(:

OzzieBall2004
07-19-2004, 02:08 AM
Both pitching match-ups favor us, so we should be able to take em both if we learn how to swing again.

fado
07-19-2004, 08:25 AM
Hopefully with Benoit out there tonight we can take some BP on him like we did the last time we faced him. Could be a cure to all that ails us. My only issue is that we have Scho out there and he has been less the stellar for a while now. I would hate to get into a shoot out with the Rangers. As for tomorrow, we've hit Wasdin in the past and with Garland going we should have a chance, as long as Johnny gets through his one blow up inning. I think a two game sweep to take us into Cleveland.

Terminated
07-19-2004, 09:25 AM
We should sweep them since it is a two game series. The starting pitchers for Texas arenít as dominant as the Aís so we should take advantage of that.

hawkjt
07-19-2004, 09:58 AM
How many hits have the sox been averaging the last 13 games? Not many. Texas has a huge offense so I would love to get one game out of 2 -same with cleveland as we face 2 tough leftys in C-town, Sabbathia and Cliff Lee. Just being realistic as our offense has been the worst in baseball since frank got hurt. We are due to snap out of it, tho. This is going to be a dogfight with the Twins and maybe the Indians and Tigers to the bitter end. I like our late sept schedule vs the twins. They get the Yanks in NY the last week. They are the twins killers like the A's are to us. We will need to beat them head to head those last 7 games we play in late september. It is our turn.

kjhanson
07-19-2004, 10:10 AM
I see the upcoming Texas Series as a perfect opportunity for offense to blow up.

Texas' starter tonite is Benoit, who is 3-4 with an ERA above 6.00. Right-handed hitters are hitting .309 against him (comapred to .257 against lefties) in a comparable amount of innings. He's also giving up one home run every 3 1/3 innings against right handed batters. Magglio should be able to have a "comeback" game, while Pauile, Carlos and Aaron should have a field day. Maybe even Juan will get back on track tonite, although that may be wishful thinking.

John Wasdin (1-1 7.33) starts Tuesday. Right handers are hitting .377 off of him!

There's no reason we shouldn't score 15 runs in the next 2 games. If we don't bust out the next two nites, there may be cause for concern. There should be no excuse of us missing a powerful lefthanded bat in the middle of the lineup (Everett) and defintiely not the arguement that we're facing good starting pitching. If Schoe and Jon can hold the Texas offense at about 5 runs each game, we should have no problem coming out with two victories heading into Cleveland.

jackbrohamer
07-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Look for Home Run Derby tonight, with Benoit (3-4, 6.18) going up against Schoenweis (5-7, 4.71). Tonight could mark the end of the Scott Schoenweis era with the Sox (at least as a starter).

Viva Magglio
07-19-2004, 10:46 AM
I think this Texas team could be trouble. Last year, didn't we get swept down there by a weaker Ranger team?

Frater Perdurabo
07-19-2004, 12:06 PM
I will be at Tuesday night's game here in Texas. I am looking forward to a Sox offensive explosion. (Remember that Everett earned his 2003 All Star appearance based on a monster April and May in Texas.)

The Rangers' offense is en fuego and might destroy Schoeneweis (Texas hit him pretty hard up at the Cell earlier this year). I saw Jon Garland's debut in Texas in 2000 and he got smoked that night as well. Of course he's progressed light years since then.

If I had the opportunity, I would trade the Sox offense straight up for Texas' offense. They are that good, especially their All-Star infield: Young, Blalock, Soriano and Teixeira. "Big Tex" is killing the ball right now. Laynce Nix is an absolute stud in center, and Kevin Mench is a future big-time outfielder as well. Although he's injured, catcher Gerald Laird was on his way to winning AL ROY based on his April and May performance.

If one could combine the Sox starting rotation with the Rangers offense, the team would be favored to win the World Series.

But the real key is the Rangers' hitting coach, Rudy Jaramillo. He was the one who turned Ivan Rodriguez into an All-Star hitter. He also squeezed every ounce of hitting ability out of Raffy Palmeiro and Juan Gonzalez, and Alex Rodriguez had his best offensive seasons under Jaramillo's tutelage. Soriano, Young, Blalock and Teixeira swear by him too. His contract expires at the end of this year. Of course the Rangers want him back, but if KW wants to make a really bold move, he should throw the bank at Jaramillo to try to get him to join the Sox staff.

The Sox would do well to split this series. Of course I hope for a Sox sweep but that would be tough.

JB98
07-19-2004, 12:13 PM
I think this Texas team could be trouble. Last year, didn't we get swept down there by a weaker Ranger team?
Yes, we did. In addition, we got shut down by pitchers who have eerily similar ERAs to the ones we'll be facing in this series. Remember guys, when our bats are cold, the opposition can throw Humpty Dumpty out on the mound and still beat us. The Rangers are 4-0 since the break. They are red-hot. We are ice-cold. I'd be thrilled with a split.