PDA

View Full Version : The "What do you Offer Maggs" game!

soltrain21
07-18-2004, 07:14 PM
Face it, Maggs isn't worth what he is asking, so what do you offer him?

I would say a 5 year contract worth 55 Million. That is 11 million a year, right around what he is worth. With the way he is playing though this could drop.

What are you offering, include all the details if you want.

South Side
07-18-2004, 07:45 PM

I would say a 5 year contract worth 55 Million. That is 11 million a year, right around what he is worth. With the way he is playing though this could drop.

No offense, but hasn't this been discussed enough? I'm not up for reading a hundred replies of redundent offers... Then again, I am still pissed off from the loss today and I can just skip over this topic... carry on. But I still think this has all been discussed to death and it will result in the same way all 25 of the others ones have.

munchman33
07-18-2004, 08:11 PM

I don't even think he's worth that. 3 years, $33 million and not a cent more.

munchman33
07-18-2004, 08:39 PM
For those who think Maggs is an elite player who deserves whatever he wants, take a look at this. Elite players will hit these thresholds, as you'll see with the players below Maggs. Aweful lot of zeroes across Magg's board. Certainly not deserving of Vlad money. Granted, some of these guys have more years than Maggs, but Maggs is supposed to be in the middle of his prime, and he's still not putting up these numbers. He's a good player, but certainly not in the upper echelon of outfielders in baseball. For contrast, I put Garret Anderson up here, as his contract is probably closer to what Maggs should get. Very similar chart too.

YEARS WITH MORE THAN:

40 homers 120 RBI's .400 OBP .600 Slugging 1.000 OPS 200 Hits 30 SB

0 2 0 0 0 0 0
(Maggs)

2 2 3 2 3 2 2
(Vlad)

2 4 8 5 6 0 0
(Manny Ramirez)

2 2 11 3 5 0 0
(Gary Sheffield)

5 4 2 4 4 0 3
(Shammy)

0 2 0 0 0 1 0
(Garret Anderson)

MUsoxfan
07-19-2004, 02:10 AM
I say you offer that prick nothing. Offer him the going rate of other mediocre outfielders that think they're worth a bundle. Outfielders that can hit are a dime a dozen. Magglio is losing value everyday by not being able to hit. He can't field, and since he's been back he has shown NO LEVEL of hustle on ground balls that he should have made an attempt to beat out. He should have taken a minor league gig to go and get back in the groove. Instead he had his "superstar" mentality and didn't. I can't wait to get rid of this freaking guy. Magglio is a clown and a greedy moron. If he thinks he's worth Vlad money, he's sadly, sadly mistaken. Vlad knows how to play baseball and how to hustle out a ground ball. Magglio has a superstar mentality and couldn't care less about the team aspect. Trade this clown while the value is still high before the true colors start shining in to other teams.

Aidan
07-19-2004, 02:19 AM
I say you offer that prick nothing. Offer him the going rate of other mediocre outfielders that think they're worth a bundle. Outfielders that can hit are a dime a dozen. Magglio is losing value everyday by not being able to hit. He can't field, and since he's been back he has shown NO LEVEL of hustle on ground balls that he should have made an attempt to beat out. He should have taken a minor league gig to go and get back in the groove. Instead he had his "superstar" mentality and didn't. I can't wait to get rid of this freaking guy. Magglio is a clown and a greedy moron. If he thinks he's worth Vlad money, he's sadly, sadly mistaken. Vlad knows how to play baseball and how to hustle out a ground ball. Magglio has a superstar mentality and couldn't care less about the team aspect. Trade this clown while the value is still high before the true colors start shining in to other teams.Agreed. If we gave Maggs $14 million a year I would be disgusting knowing that it is the same money that Vlad makes. During the White Sox game on Saturday on FOX, Steve Lyons and Tom Brenneman were discussing how Maggs is a good player but he isn't quite a superstar. They were surprised that Maggs didn't accept the White Sox contract offer. They don't think he will be able to get much more on the open market. They were saying how he doesn't hit 40+ homers, has average speed, and average fielding ability. Does Maggs really think he is on Vladimir Guerrero's level?

StillMissOzzie
07-19-2004, 02:23 AM
5/$60M without the deferral, incentives that JR is famous for. Team option for 5th year. If he says no, say goodbye.

Deadguy
07-19-2004, 02:30 AM
Magglio's ego has priced him out of a future with the White Sox. I harbor no bitterness towards him, since he has evey right to test the FA market if he feels he can find a better match for him, but I won't be shedding a tear if he leaves.

For a guy who is 30 and has only been voted one of the 10 most valuable players in the league ONCE in his entire career, I have to wonder why he's been given the superstar label. This, in turn, has obviously sky rocketed his ego.

Right now, he should be humbled by the fact that Rowand is out playing him.

MUsoxfan
07-19-2004, 02:33 AM
5/$60M without the deferral, incentives that JR is famous for. Team option for 5th year. If he says no, say goodbye.

That's still too much money. He's a clown and has gone insane with the idea in his head that he's worth that much. I can't wait until he's out of town. He's a cancer to this team with the constant newspaper coverage that we shouldn't let him go. Why shouldn't we let this guy go? He hit fine....above average, but he fields like a rookie baller. He's the modern version of Sammy Sosa without the power numbers. People are so high on this guy, and for what reason? Because he can't field a ducksnort, or because he strikes out a crapload? He's a dope and the Sox will be 20x better without him. He's NOT the franchise player of the Sox

South Side
07-19-2004, 05:04 AM
That's still too much money. He's a clown and has gone insane with the idea in his head that he's worth that much. I can't wait until he's out of town. He's a cancer to this team with the constant newspaper coverage that we shouldn't let him go. Why shouldn't we let this guy go? He hit fine....above average, but he fields like a rookie baller. He's the modern version of Sammy Sosa without the power numbers. People are so high on this guy, and for what reason? Because he can't field a ducksnort, or because he strikes out a crapload? He's a dope and the Sox will be 20x better without him. He's NOT the franchise player of the SoxHow is he a clown? Why do you have some personal vendetta against him? Unless you have some inside connection to the Sox, I think you're way out of line. You're ripping on a guy who is proven he is a good ball player. You're insulting him when you don't even know the numbers or details involved. Why so much animosity towards a good guy and player? I'm a little insulted....

Aidan
07-19-2004, 05:54 AM
Right now, he should be humbled by the fact that Rowand is out playing him.Good point. :angry:

gosox41
07-19-2004, 06:40 AM
Magglio's ego has priced him out of a future with the White Sox. I harbor no bitterness towards him, since he has evey right to test the FA market if he feels he can find a better match for him, but I won't be shedding a tear if he leaves.

For a guy who is 30 and has only been voted one of the 10 most valuable players in the league ONCE in his entire career, I have to wonder why he's been given the superstar label. This, in turn, has obviously sky rocketed his ego.

Right now, he should be humbled by the fact that Rowand is out playing him.
Sox fans tend to do that. Robin Ventura was always liked by Sox fans in general, but it wasn't until his injury and the outpouring of fans that I swear I thought Brooks Robinson was the third baseman on this team.

There are some that are still upset the Sox didn't pay him the $9 mill. he wantedfor 4 years. Look at his numbers for those 4 years. Outside of one year he's been worth closer to $900K.

Bob

MUsoxfan
07-19-2004, 11:49 PM
How is he a clown? Why do you have some personal vendetta against him? Unless you have some inside connection to the Sox, I think you're way out of line. You're ripping on a guy who is proven he is a good ball player. You're insulting him when you don't even know the numbers or details involved. Why so much animosity towards a good guy and player? I'm a little insulted....
How is he not a clown? He has dramatically overpriced himself and this on-and-off contract negotiation in no way, shape, or form can be helping the White Sox as a team. Tonight was the first time he's actually hustled out one of his many ground balls. He didn't do a rehab assignment and instead decided he'd go right back into it at the big league level. He's the not-so-loudmouthed version of the RF on the northside. People give this guy alot of credit when there's not alot of credit due. I don't consider him a franchise player. I can think of 2 better outfielders on our own team. They don't want Vlad money and nor should he.

Evman5
07-20-2004, 12:00 AM
Good point. :angry:
I know your not trying to rip on Aaron, but my god. He is the ultimate grinder type that we need on the team. He goes all out everyday and is a career .280 HITTER! I don't think enough people realize this. I understand he doesn need to improve his Risp, but Crash Rowand is a fantastic player and he is very underrated. He is showing everybody why he deserves to be our everyday Centerfielder. He is one of the nicest guys on the team and I have great respect for him. He is my favorite player on the team and he deserves his props.

Man Soo Lee
07-20-2004, 12:04 AM
I can think of 2 better outfielders on our own team. They don't want Vlad money and nor should he.
His numbers may not justify "Vlad money", but you couldn't name two better Sox outfielders in the last 20 years and there aren't any on the current team.

calderon
07-20-2004, 12:51 PM
Maggs may not be worth 14 million a year, but someone like the Mets or Baltimore will give him what he wants.

WhiteSoxFan84
07-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Did you guys sniff too much crack and forget that Maggz is making $14 mill THIS year? If he is not worth $14 mill a year, why did the Sox structure his contract where he would be making $14 mill a year? The team has already told him he is worth $14 mill a year, so continue giving it to him. If he is making that much this year and our payroll is still under $70 mill, I think we can keep him, keep our payroll where it is, and still increase our payroll to around $80 mill next year. I don't see why not, attendence is up, ratings are up, and the team itself is (hopefully) starting to play well.

I say offer him him 4 years, $56 Mill, player option 5th year for $16 mill, team option 6th year for $12 mill. So that way, if he takes the $16 mill player option, the team automatically picks up the 6th year option, so the deal pretty much balances out tot a 6 year deal worth $14 mill per, $84 mill total. By 2010, $12 mill for Maggs will be a steal if he continues playing the way he does.

hawkjt
07-20-2004, 01:00 PM
I want Maggs back at a reasonable price -12 mil for 5 yrs. Wait til his first hot streak and these same fans will change their tune. He is a great hitter and god knows we need him to get hot. He will. It is just a matter of time. He is probably the most consistent hitter over the last 4 years. Rarely slumps for too long like the other guys. Right now he is out of sorts. Swinging at the first pitch a lot. That aint maggs.

habibharu
07-20-2004, 01:21 PM
4 yrs, 48 mil

jshanahanjr
07-20-2004, 02:18 PM
You people that are now against Magglio are the same people that had President Bush at an alltime approval high and now at 47%. Either the guy's good or he's not. Your opinion shouldn't change day to day. Sign Maggs and move on. P.S. Ventura is still better than Crede while he rots on the bench in L.A.

MUsoxfan
07-20-2004, 03:17 PM
P.S. Ventura is still better than Crede while he rots on the bench in L.A.

I'm pretty sure nobody disagrees with you on that one

jabrch
07-20-2004, 03:30 PM
I'm pretty sure nobody disagrees with you on that one
Robin hit .251 in 2003
He hit .220 last year
he is hitting .231 this year
He has almost no power anymore
And he plays as much 1B as 3B now - his D has slipped.

I think I'd disagree with you that Ventura is any better than Crede.

Harris=God
07-20-2004, 04:12 PM
His numbers may not justify "Vlad money", but you couldn't name two better Sox outfielders in the last 20 years and there aren't any on the current team.
Albert Belle maybe?