PDA

View Full Version : Where's The Offense? Thread

DoggPhood
07-18-2004, 06:45 PM
We haven't scored in double digits since June 22.

Our runs allowed is still 4th best in the AL.

The 4 runs allowed by Loaiza isn't so terrible. We were lucky to squeak 3 away from Mulder. Sure, maybe Loaiza should have held on to the lead. I don't know. Maybe we'll have some success in the Offense Friendly park at Arlington.

HomeFish
07-18-2004, 06:47 PM
Hopefully our offense is flying in from Atlanta right now.

DoggPhood
07-18-2004, 06:49 PM
Haha, I hope so too. Is Borchard going to be sent down? I'd rather keep him up here and send down Gload. Gload hasn't even been playing. Give Borchard the confidence to keep him up and see what happens.

Also, say goodbye to first place, because the Twins are going to DESTROY the Royals tonight.

As long as we don't fall more than a couple games back in the next week, we'll be alright.

South Side
07-18-2004, 06:50 PM
We actually already have an official thread going.

Viva Magglio
07-18-2004, 06:54 PM
Should Greg Walker's feet be held to the fire for this hitting slump? I really do not think so because we have already gone through hitting instructors the same way Murphy Brown went through secretaries.

HomerCoach
07-18-2004, 06:59 PM

The 4 runs allowed by Loaiza isn't so terrible. We were lucky to squeak 3 away from Mulder. Sure, maybe Loaiza should have held on to the lead. I don't know. Maybe we'll have some success in the Offense Friendly park at Arlington.
Frank means more to this team than many people think.

JB98
07-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Haha, I hope so too. Is Borchard going to be sent down? I'd rather keep him up here and send down Gload. Gload hasn't even been playing. Give Borchard the confidence to keep him up and see what happens.
I disagree. If Borchard isn't going to start, he should be sent down. It does him a disservice to sit on the bench at the big-league level.

Daver
07-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Should Greg Walker's feet be held to the fire for this hitting slump? I really do not think so because we have already gone through hitting instructors the same way Murphy Brown went through secretaries.
Why was Von Joshua fired again?

JB98
07-18-2004, 07:22 PM
Amen, brother. I've always said Frank will not be fully appreciated in this city until after he retires. He is the greatest hitter in the history of a franchise that has been around for over 100 years. A lot of people refuse to accept that because Frank is not "fan-friendly" or "media-friendly" or whatever. I've always said, I don't want Frank to kiss anyone's ass. I just want him to hit the ball. He's been doing just that for 14 years, and his presence is going to be sorely missed these next two months.

If you look at the last two years, the Sox offense has gone as Frank has gone. You saw how poorly we did in NL parks with him on the bench. Even on the downside of his career, he is a HUGE presence in the lineup.

Basten
07-18-2004, 07:24 PM

The 4 runs allowed by Loaiza isn't so terrible. We were lucky to squeak 3 away from Mulder. Sure, maybe Loaiza should have held on to the lead. I don't know. Maybe we'll have some success in the Offense Friendly park at Arlington.Firing Greg Walker will not help -- after 4 years, it's clear there is nobody who can get through to these, to make them shorten up and drive a pitch middle-away to RF-CF.

They'll feast on bad pitching, padding their season stats......but their long greedy swings and a ****ty pitch selection will ALWAYS keep them from doing any damage against good pitching....which is what they're gonna see a lot of in the playoffs.

Look at Paulie - he shortens up and hits through the ball against Zambrano and rides it out to RCF for a 3-run job. On Dotel's heater middle-away today, he tried to hit it 500 feet to LF and of course fouled the fat pitch off for a strike. So if Paulie is not effective with this stupid approach, then what chance do Davis, Crede and Uribe have? At least Kong is having a very good season otherwise and has earned the right to have awful atbats, which is more than I can say about most Sox hitters.

And Magglio hasn't been the same since winning the 2003 Las Vegas HR Derby Challenge. He used to love RCF and could spoil pitcher's pitches like very few people could -- still remember him spoiling one 98 mph fastball on the outside corner after another after another before lining a missile right at a LF'er against Roberto Hernandez in 2000 . No more - boy was his ab against Dotel horrible or what?!

Basten
07-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Amen, brother. I've always said Frank will not be fully appreciated in this city until after he retires. He is the greatest hitter in the history of a franchise that has been around for over 100 years. A lot of people refuse to accept that because Frank is not "fan-friendly" or "media-friendly" or whatever. I've always said, I don't want Frank to kiss anyone's ass. I just want him to hit the ball. He's been doing just that for 14 years, and his presence is going to be sorely missed these next two months.

If you look at the last two years, the Sox offense has gone as Frank has gone. You saw how poorly we did in NL parks with him on the bench. Even on the downside of his career, he is a HUGE presence in the lineup.
Frank can do what he does because his vision, self-control and hand-eye coordination are Ted Williams-esque. He is also a monster of a man.

The rest of the clowns in the line-up HAVE to shorten up and level their swings and use the ENTIRE field.....or they get eaten alive by good pitching. They'll be out in front of a good breaking ball and tardy on a good fastball. Simple as that.

JB98
07-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Firing Greg Walker will not help -- after 4 years, it's clear there is nobody who can get through to these, to make them shorten up and drive a pitch middle-away to RF-CF.

They'll feast on bad pitching, padding their season stats......but their long greedy swings and a ****ty pitch selection will ALWAYS keep them from doing any damage against good pitching....which is what they're gonna see a lot of in the playoffs.

Look at Paulie - he shortens up and hits through the ball against Zambrano and rides it out to RCF for a 3-run job. On Dotel's heater middle-away today, he tried to hit it 500 feet to LF and of course fouled the fat pitch off for a strike. So if Paulie is not effective with this stupid approach, then what chance do Davis, Crede and Uribe have? At least Kong is having a very good season otherwise and has earned the right to have awful atbats, which is more than I can say about most Sox hitters.

And Magglio hasn't been the same since winning the 2003 Las Vegas HR Derby Challenge. He used to love RCF and could spoil pitcher's pitches like very few people could -- still remember him spoiling one 98 mph fastball on the outside corner after another after another before lining a missile right at a LF'er against Roberto Hernandez in 2000 . No more - boy was his ab against Dotel horrible or what?!
I'm not so sure Ordonez didn't look worse than Konerko in the ninth. At least Paulie looked foolish on sliders. Ordonez looked helpless against Dotel's straight-as-an-arrow fastball. Even before the injury, I thought Maggs was too pull-conscious. The whole team seems oblivious to the fact that the opposite field exists.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2004, 08:45 PM
Exactly. The Frank-haters are now seeing that the Sox cannot and will not win without the Big Hurt. Frank Thomas is the Chicago White Sox.

Sincerely,

RKM- Executive Vice President: Frank Thomas Appreciation Society

RKMeibalane
07-18-2004, 08:55 PM
Why was Von Joshua fired again?
Just for the record, I'll answer your rhetorical question, Daver.

Von Joshua was fired because the players weren't listening to him. The same maybe true of Greg Walker, but I don't think Walker is necessarily deserving of blame in this matter. The hitting instructor is different, but the results are the same. That means the blame lies with the players, namely those individuals who swing for the fences every time up (*COUGH* Crede *COUGH*).

I'm beginning to have some serious doubts about the teaching methods used with the Sox minor league affiliates. It seems as though the players who come up through the Sox system don't have the same grasp on baseball fundamentals as players on other teams. Think about it. When was the last time a Sox prospect showed solid baseball knowledge? When was the last time a Sox prospect actually turned out to be as good as he was advertised?

Frank Thomas is the only person that I can think of. The Sox were pleasantly surprised by Magglio Ordonez and Mark Buehrle, but they've had several other players who ended up not meeting their potential. Crede seems to be in this group, as does Borchard. I don't know exactly where the problems are in the Sox system, but changes need to be made.

JGarlandrules20
07-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Whatever happened to small ball? Bunting, hit and run, moving runners over, slapping, suicide squeeze.... I don't see much of it. Wasn't Ozzie supposed to be all about "small ball"? Remember, a while back, when he was threatening to have Frank and Magglio bunt?

RKMeibalane
07-18-2004, 09:19 PM
Whatever happened to small ball? Bunting, hit and run, moving runners over, slapping, suicide squeeze.... I don't see much of it. Wasn't Ozzie supposed to be all about "small ball"? Remember, a while back, when he was threatening to have Frank and Magglio bunt?
The Sox don't have the right type of players for "Ozzieball." This team still lives and dies by the three-run homer, and it's going to be that way until the core of the team is overahuled. That probably won't happen for another five or six years, because Frank will probably finish his career on the South Side, and I don't imagine that Carlos or Konerko will go anywhere.

HomeFish
07-18-2004, 09:22 PM

I think the Konerko stolen base met Ozzie's 2004 smallball quota for the entire year.

JB98
07-18-2004, 09:52 PM
The Sox don't have the right type of players for "Ozzieball." This team still lives and dies by the three-run homer, and it's going to be that way until the core of the team is overahuled. That probably won't happen for another five or six years, because Frank will probably finish his career on the South Side, and I don't imagine that Carlos or Konerko will go anywhere.
I feel like I've made this post about 20 times in the last two weeks, but again, how do you play small ball with nobody on base? We stranded two runners on base today, so it wasn't like we blew a bunch of opportunities. Carlos stole third with one out today. That's an example of trying to make something happen, but we got no execution from Crede. He needs to hit a sac fly in that spot, or at least stay in the middle of the diamond. That grounder to third hung Carlos out to dry.