PDA

View Full Version : With the trend of players wanting play at "home",

Palehose13
07-18-2004, 04:51 PM
do you think Mulder will WANT to play for the sox when he becomes a FA in a few years?

I know it is a loooooong way away (06 or 07), but the A's announcers have said that this was an exciting start for Mulder cause he is playing against his hometown team.

bigfoot
07-18-2004, 05:51 PM
I think that the announcers have to fill air time with something that the listening audience will deem relevant. It's also only important if the player is entering into contract negotiations. Anything to appear in the media as anything other than greedy. Can't you see the headlines? 'Joe Player' wants to return home, but the Pirates won't relocate to southern Utah, 'Joe' signs with Yankees.

CubKilla
07-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Mulder would want to play for the White Sox. Question is, would the White Sox pay for Mark Mulder?

During the FOX broadcast yesterday, he said he was a huge Sox fan growing up in South Holland. I also remember reading a story a few years back in the Times where Mulder, as a high potential prospect among ML scouts during his HS years, invited JR and Co. to watch one of his HS games at Thornton HS. Of course, JR sent no one and Mulder would eventually become #1 starter material with the A's. But what would it have hurt JR and Co. to at least check out a ML rumor-mill prospect in their own backyard?

Yep..... hurts in the wallet.

fquaye149
07-18-2004, 08:09 PM
Mulder would want to play for the White Sox. Question is, would the White Sox pay for Mark Mulder?

During the FOX broadcast yesterday, he said he was a huge Sox fan growing up in South Holland. I also remember reading a story a few years back in the Times where Mulder, as a high potential prospect among ML scouts during his HS years, invited JR and Co. to watch one of his HS games at Thornton HS. Of course, JR sent no one and Mulder would eventually become #1 starter material with the A's. But what would it have hurt JR and Co. to at least check out a ML rumor-mill prospect in their own backyard?

Yep..... hurts in the wallet.
yeah. money is why they don't send scouts to go watch every high school player who tells them to come watch.

CubKilla
07-18-2004, 08:19 PM
yeah. money is why they don't send scouts to go watch every high school player who tells them to come watch.
Obviously. But it's not like Mulder was asking JR and Co. to watch his HS game in Honolulu, Hawaii. Mulder had made a name for himself amongst ML scouts at this time and South Holland is literally 15 minutes south of USCF at 1 or 2 in the afternoon before rush hour on Monday thru Thursday. Seems like other teams/colleges had the resources though.

Daver
07-18-2004, 08:24 PM
Obviously. But it's not like Mulder was asking JR and Co. to watch his HS game in Honolulu, Hawaii. Mulder had made a name for himself amongst ML scouts at this time and South Holland is literally 15 minutes south of USCF at 1 or 2 in the afternoon before rush hour on Monday thru Thursday. Seems like other teams/colleges had the resources though.You are assuming that no member of the Sox scouting staff ever attended one of his games. I would have to think that they did, I sat next to a Sox scout at a Providence that Kris Honel pitched.

munchman33
07-18-2004, 08:50 PM
I remember meeting Mulder a couple of times when I was in high school at the Walt's in South Holland. A bunch of my friends used to hang out there, and so did he. I had no idea at the time what he would become. From what I remember of him, he was a HUGE White Sox fan. His return home after free agency wouldn't surprise me in the least bit.

Palehose13
07-18-2004, 09:08 PM
I remember meeting Mulder a couple of times when I was in high school at the Walt's in South Holland. A bunch of my friends used to hang out there, and so did he. I had no idea at the time what he would become. From what I remember of him, he was a HUGE White Sox fan. His return home after free agency wouldn't surprise me in the least bit.
Cool. I was expecting a bit of bashing for a pipe dream that is years away. Of course the Sox may not be willing to pay, but they may get a "hometown discount". Much like Thome offered the cubs...thank god that didn't make that dumb deal!

Aidan
07-18-2004, 09:13 PM
I remember meeting Mulder a couple of times when I was in high school at the Walt's in South Holland. A bunch of my friends used to hang out there, and so did he. I had no idea at the time what he would become. From what I remember of him, he was a HUGE White Sox fan. His return home after free agency wouldn't surprise me in the least bit.During the Saturday Sox vs. A's game on FOX, Mulder was mic'ed up and was talking to "Psyco" Steve Lyons. He said he was a HUGE White Sox fan when he was a kid and he still is. If the A's are stupid enough to let him go, the White Sox would have to jump all over him. He's a stud and he's only 26 years old. Screw Loaiza, go for Mulder.

CubKilla
07-18-2004, 10:15 PM
You are assuming that no member of the Sox scouting staff ever attended one of his games. I would have to think that they did, I sat next to a Sox scout at a Providence that Kris Honel pitched.
According to the article, Mulder never heard back from the White Sox Organization and no one was ever sent. Furthermore, the original request was never answered.

Daver
07-18-2004, 10:27 PM
According to the article, Mulder never heard back from the White Sox Organization and no one was ever sent. Furthermore, the original request was never answered.
The Sox would never reply to such a request, it could effect signing negotiations if he was in fact drafted.