PDA

View Full Version : Everett Trade II

Viva Magglio
07-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Do you approve or disapprove of the second trade for Carl Everett?

jeremyb1
07-18-2004, 04:48 PM
I voted disaprove but I feel like there should be more options for these polls. It's not that I think we shouldn't have traded for Everett or that we got ripped off horribly, I just don't care for what we gave up all that much.

SEALgep
07-18-2004, 05:06 PM
I voted disaprove but I feel like there should be more options for these polls. It's not that I think we shouldn't have traded for Everett or that we got ripped off horribly, I just don't care for what we gave up all that much.We don't know the cash consideration amount.

jeremyb1
07-18-2004, 05:08 PM
That too. I can't say I understand why they sent cash when they have the much smaller payroll and JR was supposedly now willing to spend. It's not as though it's a huge contract.

SEALgep
07-18-2004, 05:10 PM
That too. I can't say I understand why they sent cash when they have the much smaller payroll and JR was supposedly now willing to spend. It's not as though it's a huge contract.I'll take it, especially because it's probably an attempt to allow us to still wheel and deal a little more.

duke of dorwood
07-18-2004, 06:14 PM
Maybe we should stop drafting all these pitchers since they cant develop any

inta
07-18-2004, 06:33 PM
the trade's cool with me.

the way our offense is going i'm fine with hawk, DJ and kenny williams suiting up and DH'ing.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-18-2004, 06:35 PM
I approve of the trade. As long as kenny doesn't trade a major part of our MAJOR LEAGUE club, and gets us a player that will help the big league club, i'm fine with it.

MarqSox
07-18-2004, 08:13 PM
Maybe we should stop drafting all these pitchers since they cant develop anyWhy? Even if none of the pitchers we draft ever pitch for us, they're still invaluable as trade bait.

Aidan
07-18-2004, 08:26 PM
Why? Even if none of the pitchers we draft ever pitch for us, they're still invaluable as trade bait.Yep. The only pitcher we have brought up in the minors that was any good in recent years in Mark Buehrle. Garland has been decent but we got him in a trade with the Scrubs. I have no faith in Rauch ever being a good major league pitcher, especially not after his shoulder injury. He has no fastball anymore. And guys like Gary Majewski are a dime a dozen.

mdep524
07-18-2004, 09:34 PM
I think we might have over paid a bit... regardless, I approve of the trade. Carl is a grinder and a gamer- and if he can play DH every day he will be less susceptible to injury and thus will likely hit better.

Another key that everyone is overlooking is the fact that hopefully we will get to hear Parliament's "Flast Light" every time Carl comes to bat at The Cell again. :cool: :tongue:

doublem23
07-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Crying over Jon Rauch and Gary Majewski?

:rolleyes:

Aidan
07-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Crying over Jon Rauch and Gary Majewski?

:rolleyes:I know, I can't believe it. I'd rather have the money from Montreal than Rauch. That way we can make another deal for hopefully a catcher. Rauch has one good outing and everyone loves him. Before that outing people hated him and thought he would never amount to anything after his shoulder injury, especially after his little temper tantrum in which he left the game. People were clamoring to trade him. And Gary Majewski? I'd be surprised if he ever got into the majors. He's kind of wild.

Nick@Nite
07-18-2004, 11:40 PM
... 1917.

gosox41
07-19-2004, 06:35 AM
Do you approve or disapprove of the second trade for Carl Everett?
I think the Sox gave up too much for a hitter who hasn't hit all year and has been suffering from various injury problems.

Would anyone be surprised here if Everett missed some time due to injury? I wouldn't. One can argue that KW gave up a young pitcher with potential (Rauch) for damaged goods.

Also, there's been a lot of talk about Everett's attitude and how he'll be better now that his team is in contention. Why is it OK for him to have a lousy attitude but people want to hang Rauch when he makes a mistake due to a miscommunication?

Bob

oheeoh...magglio
07-19-2004, 06:41 AM
IMO we got what we paid for in this deal, which isn't a whole heck of a lot.....

But who knows, maybe Crazy Carl's bat will give us a much needed spark.

SSN721
07-19-2004, 06:56 AM
Rauch seems like a little toohigh of a price. I thought that we would be able to get Carl for lower level prospects. I can only think that Rauch was given fro cash considerations to allow Kenny to pick up a few more pieces before the deadline. This is what I hope anyway. Otherwise, glad we picked him up, I think he can be a little bit of a boost.

Aidan
07-19-2004, 07:19 AM
I think the Sox gave up too much for a hitter who hasn't hit all year and has been suffering from various injury problems.

Would anyone be surprised here if Everett missed some time due to injury? I wouldn't. One can argue that KW gave up a young pitcher with potential (Rauch) for damaged goods.

Also, there's been a lot of talk about Everett's attitude and how he'll be better now that his team is in contention. Why is it OK for him to have a lousy attitude but people want to hang Rauch when he makes a mistake due to a miscommunication?

Bobhttp://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040718&content_id=803080&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp
Williams, on a tour this week of the organization's minor league franchises, drove from Birmingham to Atlanta on Saturday afternoon to watch Everett in action at Turner Field. He was more than satisfied with what he witnessed and the reports he received from Dave Yoakum, a special assistant to Williams.
"Oh, yes. He's healthy," said Williams of Everett. "He's running well, throwing well and starting to swing the bat. There are no residual effects from the shoulder injury he had earlier this year.In case you missed it, Everett made a diving grab against the Braves this weekend. It was an ESPN WebGem. Injured guys don't make diving catches. He sounds like he's 100% healthy to me.

Everett's attitude was fine with the Sox last season. If you read the above article in entirety, you will see that he was far from a clubhouse cancer. In fact, all the guys said something positive about him. He also showed up with his bat last season and I think he will do the same this time around.
Rauch seems like a little toohigh of a price. I thought that we would be able to get Carl for lower level prospects. I can only think that Rauch was given fro cash considerations to allow Kenny to pick up a few more pieces before the deadline. This is what I hope anyway. Otherwise, glad we picked him up, I think he can be a little bit of a boost.That's what I think. Rauch was thrown into the mix so Montreal would pick up most of Everett's contract for this season. Had we taken on Everett's whole contract, he probably would've only cost us Majewski and another low level prospect. Obviously, Kenny has his mind on another trade.

Hangar18
07-19-2004, 10:23 AM
My only problem with this "Trade", was that we already HAD Everett,
and we shoudlve kept him. We did in fact lose Francisco, Rupe and Webster
for him. Now weve lost Jon Rauch and Gary Majewski. How much MONEY
are we really saving ? Is it worth it Jerry? Rauch couldve been used as part of a real trade package, like for Randy Johnson ................

Mickster
07-19-2004, 10:31 AM
My only problem with this "Trade", was that we already HAD Everett,
and we shoudlve kept him. We did in fact lose Francisco, Rupe and Webster
for him. Now weve lost Jon Rauch and Gary Majewski. How much MONEY
are we really saving ? Is it worth it Jerry? Rauch couldve been used as part of a real trade package, like for Randy Johnson ................Hangar, the only way to have kept Everett last year was to offer him arbitration, and possibly sign him for 80% of his 2003 salary per the CB. So that would essentially mean $6.4M for 2004 as opposed to $7M for 2 years that Montreal signed him for.

Also, we got $800K in cash. That, coupled with the fact that JR has authorized an increase in payroll THIS year (widely reported by different sources) and the fact that none of the trades have really cost us additional cash to date means........KW is not done dealing yet. Also, any potential deals that could be made before the July 31 deadline would alomost certainly mean that we will be adding payroll. I honestly feel that the best is yet to come. JMHO.

Gumshoe
07-19-2004, 11:12 AM

Bob
Well said. I praised KW for the Garcia move. But this move is idiocy. WAY too much for a rent-a-player who won't be with us for long. Best case scenario:

He hits at the DH spot and produces.

Worst:

He plays the outfield EVER (look out tomorrow), or gets injured. He is a DEF liability, atrocious! Prosthetic knees wouldn't help his jumps.

G