PDA

View Full Version : Waiver trade deadline

santo=dorf
07-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Harold Reynolds thinks that RJ won't be traded to the Yanks by the end of July but he could still end up on their roster come August 31st. How in the world would RJ clear waivers? Is there a certain order in which teams have the first right to claim someone? Can prospects be claimed in a trade that is made in August?

samram
07-18-2004, 12:42 PM
The waiver order, I believe, is determined by record, with the worst record having first dibs. Those August deals, IIRC, place the players on revocable waivers, so if someone claims him, he can be pulled off within 24 hours. I think Manny Ramirez cleared last year. RJ makes a ton, but not Ramirez money, and I think someone would claim him. There is no way Boston, the Sox, or any other AL team would let him slip to the Yankees. And no NL team wants him going to the Cards, so I think he would have to get dealt before the end of this month.

StillMissOzzie
07-18-2004, 06:18 PM
How in the world would RJ clear waivers?
I can think of about $14 million reasons (next year's contract), not to mention the balance of this year's. But I do agree, the Red Sox would not allow him to go to the YankMees.

SMO

beckett21
07-18-2004, 07:57 PM
:tool

"Utilizing my great powers, I have actually granted the Yankees a special dispensation to allow them to circumvent the traditional waiver process, and thereby stake claim to any and every player they might want or need. The Yankees embody everything that is right with our great game, and I applaud their efforts. All organizations should aspire to a $200 million payroll. Their happiness and well-being is of paramount importance. Mr. Steinbrenner has my blessing in his pursuit of that elusive 27th World Series ring...or is it 28? "

samram
07-18-2004, 08:03 PM
I can think of about $14 million reasons (next year's contract), not to mention the balance of this year's. But I do agree, the Red Sox would not allow him to go to the YankMees.

SMO
Not to mention, the Red Sox will probably lose Pedro, Nomar, Nixon, Millar, Lowe, and Damon (or at least some) to free agency after the season, so they can take on RJ's salary.

Also, very funny Beckett.:D: