PDA

View Full Version : Wrigley is NOT safe: in or out of the park

hose
07-18-2004, 11:04 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0407180256jul18,1,3620316.story?coll=chi-news-hed

The Urinal is coming apart with chunks of concrete falling, hard hats should be issued ASAP.

Come on Knue get this in your sports section

hose
07-18-2004, 11:12 AM
For the sake of public safety Wrigley Field should be shut down.:wink:

John Barrett
07-18-2004, 11:31 AM
WE need to get the word out ... and mail to every TV and Radio Station in the city and suburbs ... also the AP and outlets across the country...If this was on the south-side they would be all over it. If we do not assist this story I assure you that this will get very little attention.. which is just plain wrong.. I will do my part!!! :angry:

hose
07-18-2004, 11:36 AM
WE need to get the word out ... and mail to every TV and Radio Station in the city and suburbs ... also the AP and outlets across the country...If this was on the south-side they would be all over it. If we do not assist this story I assure you that this will get very little attention.. which is just plain wrong.. I will do my part!!! :angry:

We got Hangar, that should do the trick.

TornLabrum
07-18-2004, 11:55 AM
I wonder what building inspector the Tribune Co. bribed to declare the ball park safe....

samram
07-18-2004, 12:09 PM
Perhaps they should start Wrigley Watch. They can put it next to the Prior Watch so they can have one section dedicated to Tribune assets with parts falling off.:cool:

pearso66
07-18-2004, 12:14 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0407180256jul18,1,3620316.story?coll=chi-news-hed

The Urinal is coming apart with chunks of concrete falling, hard hats should be issued ASAP.

Concrete is falling? I wish White Sox fans would stop vandalizing Wrigley. Cubs fans don't care about the White sox, they care about winning, but Sox fans care so much about the Cubs taht they want to destroy the stadium.

Wsoxmike59
07-18-2004, 12:15 PM
I remember the same thing happening at Old Comiskey Park in the late 80's. A falling chunk of concrete from the RF upperdeck landed in the seats. I don't recall if anybody got hurt or not. I also remember Reinsdorf really playing it up in the media saying "see I told you the park was deteriorating"

LongLiveFisk
07-18-2004, 12:33 PM
I remember the same thing happening at Old Comiskey Park in the late 80's. A falling chunk of concrete from the RF upperdeck landed in the seats. I don't recall if anybody got hurt or not. I also remember Reinsdorf really playing it up in the media saying "see I told you the park was deteriorating"
You just beat me to this one. When the concrete was falling at Old Comiskey, that seemed to be the "selling point" JR used to get a new stadium deal. You don't hear any of the Cubs' brass speaking along the same lines.

Of course there's a major difference. A new stadium on the south side would help attendance in JR's eyes whereas a new stadium to replace Wrigley would be devastating for the Cubs, who only draw as many fans as they do on account of the "historic, beautiful, (insert other b.s. adjective) Wrigley Field" garbage that has been force-fed down people's throats ever since 1984.

jdm2662
07-18-2004, 12:54 PM
Wrigley Field is 90 years old. Buildings generally fall apart with age. This shouldn't really be a shock.
________
Vaporizers (http://vaporizers.net/)

hsnterprize
07-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Wrigley Field is 90 years old. Buildings generally fall apart with age. This shouldn't really be a shock. On every "common sense" ideal, you're absolutely right. But remember...this is WRIGLEY FIELD we're talking about here. According to my knucklehead colleagues in the press, it's a "shrine"...things like this aren't supposed to happen.

BTW...Jim Williams of CBS 2 News reported the falling concrete at Wrigley story this morning. I hope this doesn't turn into another situation like what happened in New York a couple of years ago. Concrete was falling in Yankee Stadium, and while the place was being fixed, the Yanks played a couple of games at Shea Stadium. The Cubs playing home games at U.S. Cellular Field...perish the thought.

hsnterprize
07-18-2004, 01:46 PM

Come on Knue get this in your sports sectionCan I ask just one question...maybe a WSIer can help me on this one. It seems like everytime the Cubune (er...Tribune) reports a story about Piggly Wiggly Field, the Flubs, or something related to the subject, the paper always puts this disclaimer at the end of the story...

The Cubs and Wrigley Field are owned by Tribune Co., which also owns the Chicago Tribune.

Like...is that supposed to aleviate them from any allegation of bias towards the Cubs...that doesn't happen, does it? Oh yeah...I see WGN TV News do the same thing.

duke of dorwood
07-18-2004, 01:46 PM
Years of urine and lard-ass fans will do that

robertks61
07-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Concrete is falling? I wish White Sox fans would stop vandalizing Wrigley. Cubs fans don't care about the White sox, they care about winning, but Sox fans care so much about the Cubs taht they want to destroy the stadium.
Like the dead ivy, a White Sox fan did it!

TornLabrum
07-18-2004, 02:19 PM
On every "common sense" ideal, you're absolutely right. But remember...this is WRIGLEY FIELD we're talking about here. According to my knucklehead colleagues in the press, it's a "shrine"...things like this aren't supposed to happen.

BTW...Jim Williams of CBS 2 News reported the falling concrete at Wrigley story this morning. I hope this doesn't turn into another situation like what happened in New York a couple of years ago. Concrete was falling in Yankee Stadium, and while the place was being fixed, the Yanks played a couple of games at Shea Stadium. The Cubs playing home games at U.S. Cellular Field...perish the thought.
We should hope the Cubs come to The Cell to play a few games. Everybody knows that would automatically make that dangerous neighborhood completely safe.

hose
07-18-2004, 02:21 PM
http://myweb.thump.net/640408/3footknight.JPG

Besides the lance this should be required wearing in and about Wrigley.

TornLabrum
07-18-2004, 02:22 PM
Can I ask just one question...maybe a WSIer can help me on this one. It seems like everytime the Cubune (er...Tribune) reports a story about Piggly Wiggly Field, the Flubs, or something related to the subject, the paper always puts this disclaimer at the end of the story...

The Cubs and Wrigley Field are owned by Tribune Co., which also owns the Chicago Tribune.

Like...is that supposed to aleviate them from any allegation of bias towards the Cubs...that doesn't happen, does it? Oh yeah...I see WGN TV News do the same thing.
I think that a news organization must report the relationship they have to other subsidiaries of the same corporation. For example, NBC when doing stories on GE reports that they are owned by GE, and they also acknowledge their corporate relationship with Microsoft in the MSN network when doing stories about Microsoft.

jdm2662
07-18-2004, 02:36 PM
On every "common sense" ideal, you're absolutely right. But remember...this is WRIGLEY FIELD we're talking about here. According to my knucklehead colleagues in the press, it's a "shrine"...things like this aren't supposed to happen.

Shows you how stupid people are. Wembly Stadium in England was one of the most historic stadiums in the world. It is now closed down? Why? It got old and needed to be replaced. There were so many people wanting to save old Solider Field. I say, why? The place was a dump. Now, if you wanted to make an issue on the new stadium deal itself, or how it was built, go ahead. However, trying to save something that was old, outdated, and flat out crappy doesn't work for me. Then again, there are people who still think the Bears should still be playing at Wrigley Field...
________
Mexico hotels (http://mexicohoteles.org)

Viva Magglio
07-18-2004, 04:49 PM
Wrigley Field is 90 years old. Buildings generally fall apart with age. This shouldn't really be a shock.
Over the course of offseasons during the late '60s, didn't the Wrigley family rebuild the upper deck?

bigfoot
07-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Over the course of offseasons during the late '60s, didn't the Wrigley family rebuild the upper deck?
Wasn't that to put in those Corporate Boxes? And later to put in an elevator for Harry. During some of those years, the work could be done as the games were being played, for not many people had drunk from the Blue Kool-Aid bucket of Cub-dumb. It was much later that the media campaign of the CubuneCo made it 'chic' to dine at the troughs of the Urinal.

vegyrex
07-18-2004, 11:23 PM
:threadrules:

Not only does this thread rule
but it shows what all fashionable flub fans should be wearing at the "shrine" :smile:

doublem23
07-18-2004, 11:31 PM
Bah, the bigger concern is that Cub fans are *******. I mean, they showed the chunk of rock on Channel 5 news and you'd think that a 2-ton beam fell from the Upper Deck like it did at Yankee Stadium a few years ago. Come on, that rock couldn't have weighed more than 5 pounds.

Granted, I'm not saying that I'd like to get hit by a 5 pound chunk of rock, but still. Cub fans can't ever feel too sorry for themselves, can they? :whiner:

cheeses_h_rice
07-18-2004, 11:39 PM
Bah, the bigger concern is that Cub fans are *******. I mean, they showed the chunk of rock on Channel 5 news and you'd think that a 2-ton beam fell from the Upper Deck like it did at Yankee Stadium a few years ago. Come on, that rock couldn't have weighed more than 5 pounds.

Granted, I'm not saying that I'd like to get hit by a 5 pound chunk of rock, but still. Cub fans can't ever feel too sorry for themselves, can they? :whiner:
I will tell you this -- the Chicago Cubs are lucky that wasn't me nearly hit by that piece of concrete!

Kogs35
07-19-2004, 12:15 AM
Press Release:

Chicago,Il

Wrigely Field known to many Cubs fans as the "freindly confiens" collasped out of no where today. " Its unfortunate that our home has been destroyed" said cubs manager Dusty Baker. " Wrigely field has been very very good to me" said cubs slugger Sammy Sosa. "Now when i pee on my hands you will be able to smell it" said cubs master urinator Moises Alouuuu. The cubs will contact the Chicago White Sox and the Schaumberg Flyers to play there home games, and have asked Major League Baseball for help with the matter.

For more information contact 1-888-wrigelysucks

hsnterprize
07-19-2004, 09:14 AM
I will tell you this -- the Chicago Cubs are lucky that wasn't me nearly hit by that piece of concrete!Chicago Cubs...

http://images.usatoday.com/money/_photos/2004/02/06/apprentice-trump.jpg YOU'RE FIRED!!!!!

Jerko
07-19-2004, 09:58 AM
Kudos to the 59 year old guy with a 5 year old. Bad bad taste in sports teams though; he should have taught that kid better.

The Critic
07-19-2004, 11:14 AM
Remember, kids, if the visiting team is batting when you get hit with a chunk of the upper deck, you MUST throw the chunk of concrete onto the field!!!! You do NOT keep it unless SAMMY or A-RAM or ALOOOOOUUUUUUUU or another CUBBIEWUBBIE was batting at the time!!!
:D:

maurice
07-19-2004, 12:01 PM
No kidding. This falls well within his rule that anything that happens inside of the Urinal is sports news, while anything that happens directly outside of the Urinal stays in the Metro section.

If an event inside the Urinal during a game isn't sports news, how does anything that ever happened to anybody who ever set foot inside of Sox Park qualify as sports news?

The actual standard is that the Trib considers anything negative that can be even remotely linked to the Sox (aka the competition) sports news, while anything negative about the cubs should be eaten by a giant snail.

:giantsnail

:knue
"No, you see, the concrete fell three minutes after the
game ended, and therefore it is not a sports story."

bigfoot
07-19-2004, 12:40 PM
If a chunk of concrete falls, and hits a Cub fan, can this be part of the 'Curse'? Curse of the Chunks....has a ring? You decide.

kittle545feet
07-19-2004, 01:16 PM
"Is um craphole one word?" - Moe Sizlak:bandance: :supernana: :tongue:

DumpJerry
07-19-2004, 06:07 PM
When I walked around the dump last October (after Wood choked in Game 7), I noticed it was in serious need of tuckpointing and other structural repairs. I feel this is an excellent opportunity for the Mayor (who "like us better"0 to comdemn the building and tear it down by next week. The Flubs can play in the suburbs where most of their fans live anyway. Perhaps share facilities with the Kane County Cougars? I hear New Dehli, India would like a franchise.....:cool:

"Wrigley Field is falling down, falling down....." Has a certain ring, huh?

vegyrex
07-19-2004, 11:59 PM
I hear New Dehli, India would like a franchise.....:cool:

LOL
From your keyboard to god's ear. :smile:

A New Delhi Cubs would have Krishna chants for the 7th inning stretch.
Imagine what the Cubs uniforms would be: Nehru jackets. :D:

cheeses_h_rice
07-20-2004, 09:59 AM
Looks like the city's buildings department is calling for a complete inspection of the crumbling ol' Urinal, because this latest incident is the second in 6 weeks.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0407200260jul20,1,4804546.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Hmm, a murder, falling concrete, dangerous brawls in the stands...tell me again why is it again that U.S. Cellular is consistently bashed for being "unsafe" and not Wrigley?

bigfoot
07-20-2004, 10:16 AM
When, not if, a large potion of the Urinal crumbles to the ground. Will the public become outraged at the spectacle, demanding the people responsible for this travesty be held accountable? Will the leaders of the community lead a prompt investigation into the causes of the horror that lays at the corner of Clark and Addison? Will the headlines read,......

CHICAGO CUBUNE
WRIGLEY FALLS PREY TO TOURISM

CHICAGO SUN/TIMES
WAR DECLARED ON IOWA

bigfoot
07-20-2004, 10:18 AM
LOL

And they wouldn't have to change their public image, as sacred cows! Nor the hamburgers, still beef free!

Rocky Soprano
07-20-2004, 10:19 AM
Did anyone watch NBC news last night? They were live at PissField, after the game, talking about this and in the background you could see a Cardinal fan holding up 9 fingers. It was hilarious!

:D:

vegyrex
07-20-2004, 12:21 PM
And they wouldn't have to change their public image, as sacred cows!
:rolling:

vegyrex
07-20-2004, 12:25 PM
Not only is Wrigley collapsing around cub fans, so is their season. :D:

maurice
07-20-2004, 03:03 PM
Looks like the city's buildings department is calling for a complete inspection of the crumbling ol' Urinal, because this latest incident is the second in 6 weeks.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0407200260jul20,1,4804546.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Hmm, a murder, falling concrete, dangerous brawls in the stands...tell me again why is it again that U.S. Cellular is consistently bashed for being "unsafe" and not Wrigley?
Because the Trib keeps burying the truth in the middle of the Metro section.

:giantsnail

Props to Knue for linking this one on the chicagosports main page and on the "cubs top headlines" page. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/)

nasox
07-20-2004, 03:45 PM
LOL

Know this was tongue in cheek, but still, not cool. From one Indian to vegyrex...

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-20-2004, 03:49 PM
'Curse'? Curse of the Chunks....has a ring?
That definitly sounds like sometime a scrub fan would say