PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 7/17

Lip Man 1
07-17-2004, 02:21 PM
"We're cursed or something, it's unbelievable."--Magglio Ordonez to Joe Cowley / Daily Southtown.

As good an explanation as any I suppose.

Lip

wolcott10
07-17-2004, 02:36 PM
I guess the Bulls are also cursed when they go on West Coast trips.

HomeFish
07-17-2004, 02:53 PM
The Sox have never been in first place by an integer value greater than two since we cut Jose Paniagua.

I know he's no Bambino by the numbers, but I don't see how it could be a coincidence...

Lip Man 1
07-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Home:

Think about this...the biggest Sox lead since opening day 2001 has been 2 1/2 games. How can that be with all this 'talent?'

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
07-17-2004, 03:15 PM
I'm going to chalk this up to Magglio being Venezuelan and not understanding or speaking English very well.

"Curses" are for the Cubs and fans of the Lovable Losers. Play better, manage smarter, and plug roster holes. Do that and "curses" don't mean ****... at least not on the South Side.

:maggs
"I need to learn not to believe the hype."

Frater Perdurabo
07-17-2004, 03:52 PM
Home:

Think about this...the biggest Sox lead since opening day 2001 has been 2 1/2 games. How can that be with all this 'talent?'

Lip
I get it, Lip. I've gotten it for some time. Preach on. The Sox may have offensive "talent," but the whole of the one-dimenstional lineup is somewhat less than the sum of the constituent ill-fitting parts.

Brian26
07-17-2004, 10:37 PM
Home:

LipLip-

Want to start throwing out meaningless little bits of trivia? Here's one you might enjoy:

The Chicago White Sox have not finished lower than third place since 1989. EVERY OTHER TEAM in the American League has had at least one season in 4th place or lower since that year. Interesting, eh?

All true, though. Just came up with that while looking at an old AL Red Book this week.

Lip Man 1
07-17-2004, 11:06 PM
Brian:

In the old pre expansion American League (circa 1960) that would be most impressive.

However in today's baseball where you have only five teams in the division, that doesn't count for squat.

Lip

pearso66
07-18-2004, 01:14 AM
Brian:

In the old pre expansion American League (circa 1960) that would be most impressive.

However in today's baseball where you have only five teams in the division, that doesn't count for squat.

Lip
Well if thats from 89, there were only divisions in each league until 95? 96? I don't remember the exact year. And to think that every other team, that does say quite a bit. The Yankees who have dominated in recent years had to finish at least 1 season in 4th or lower. Hopefully this wont end, but will start including some more 1st place finishes.

cheeses_h_rice
07-18-2004, 01:17 AM
Well if thats from 89, there were only divisions in each league until 95? 96? I don't remember the exact year. And to think that every other team, that does say quite a bit. The Yankees who have dominated in recent years had to finish at least 1 season in 4th or lower. Hopefully this wont end, but will start including some more 1st place finishes.
MLB went to the 6-division format in 1994.

pearso66
07-18-2004, 01:19 AM
MLB went to the 6-division format in 1994.
Thanks, I wasn't sure, but I thought they went to it after the strike. which would make it 95 right?

DickAllen72
07-18-2004, 01:31 AM
I'm going to chalk this up to Magglio being Venezuelan and not understanding or speaking English very well.

"Curses" are for the Cubs and fans of the Lovable Losers. Play better, manage smarter, and plug roster holes. Do that and "curses" don't mean ****... at least not on the South Side.

Thank You!!!

voodoochile
07-18-2004, 01:33 AM
"We're cursed or something, it's unbelievable."--Magglio Ordonez to Joe Cowley / Daily Southtown.

As good an explanation as any I suppose.

Lip
Curses are for flubs fans. Shut up and play the game, Maggs. If you lose, stand up and say, "we sucked." When you win, give the opponent credit and walk away.

Curses suck...

I know, maybe we can get together and curse the Twinkies...:dtroll:

That's his cursing the Twinkies dance...

Soxzilla
07-18-2004, 01:39 AM
The Sox have never been in first place by an integer value greater than two since we cut Jose Paniagua.

I know he's no Bambino by the numbers, but I don't see how it could be a coincidence...
:supernana:

nice.