PDA

View Full Version : Replace Uribe with Wee Willie

Evman5
07-17-2004, 10:06 AM
I think Ozzie needs to put Harris back at 2nd base everyday and seriously consider moving Uribe back to a supersub role. Let Uribe play SS, 2b and 3b giving any one of those three guys a rest. Willie was doing great and sparking our team until Ozzie decided to play a hot Rowand and then Timo. We need a spark back on the top of our lineup. I think most of Willie's struggles can be attribute to sporadic playing time. He just needs to go out there for a week and get his confidence back. Remember that game where he went 4 for 5 with like 4 singles and he had 4 runs scored. We need him back on basepaths because he makes things happen out there. So Ozzie put WIllie back out there.

DickAllen72
07-17-2004, 10:22 AM
I think Ozzie needs to put Harris back at 2nd base everyday and seriously consider moving Uribe back to a supersub role. Let Uribe play SS, 2b and 3b giving any one of those three guys a rest. Willie was doing great and sparking our team until Ozzie decided to play a hot Rowand and then Timo. We need a spark back on the top of our lineup. I think most of Willie's struggles can be attribute to sporadic playing time. He just needs to go out there for a week and get his confidence back. Remember that game where he went 4 for 5 with like 4 singles and he had 4 runs scored. We need him back on basepaths because he makes things happen out there. So Ozzie put WIllie back out there.

I agree with you. Play Willie everyday at 2B. Play Rowand every day in CF (when Maggs is back in RF). Settle on the best players at each position and play them regularly.

Evman5
07-17-2004, 10:34 AM
Yes, I agree on Rowand as our CF. He is my favorite player on the team. He has a great arm, gets great jumps on fly balls and will go all out on everyplay. He is a career .280 hitter, I don't think people realize this. I agree that we need more stability in our lineup.

ChiSoxTony
07-17-2004, 10:36 AM
Willie Harris is terrible. He is not a major league ballplayer. He cant bunt, cant draw a walk, and is a marginal hitter. If we could package him in a trade....adios. He is not a leadoff hitter because he cant get on base. Uribe is not a top of the order guy. He is best when put at the bottom of the order. Uribe is a free swinger who has no place at the top. Harris stinks!!

Evman5
07-17-2004, 10:45 AM
Willie Harris is terrible. He is not a major league ballplayer. He cant bunt, cant draw a walk, and is a marginal hitter. If we could package him in a trade....adios. He is not a leadoff hitter because he cant get on base. Uribe is not a top of the order guy. He is best when put at the bottom of the order. Uribe is a free swinger who has no place at the top. Harris stinks!!

From mid April to mid June Willie was getting on base and sparking our offense. He was doing everything a quality leadoff man does. He was definitely showing me he can be a player in this league. Since mid june he has been given sporadic playing time and he has struggled. He needs to be given an extended chance to regain his confidence.

harwar
07-17-2004, 10:50 AM
Willie(mays hayes)Harris seems to be all talent just waiting to bust out,but he also seems to have not enough time learning just how the game is played.
A problem for quite a few young(and some older)players these days.

Evman5
07-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Willie(mays hayes)Harris seems to be all talent just waiting to bust out,but he also seems to have not enough time learning just how the game is played.
A problem for quite a few young(and some older)players these days.
Well the best way to learn is to be out there everyday and being able to make the adjustments in order to be successful.

Lip Man 1
07-17-2004, 01:11 PM
But where do you draw the line between letting a guy play every day and hurt the team?

Willie can play the rest of the month and hit .220...he's getting experience but he'd also be killing the club wouldn't he?

It's a difficult balance.

Lip

Malgar 12
07-17-2004, 02:50 PM
But where do you draw the line between letting a guy play every day and hurt the team?

Willie can play the rest of the month and hit .220...he's getting experience but he'd also be killing the club wouldn't he?

It's a difficult balance.

Lip
Its not difficult, because Harris is no good. The man has never seen a softground out he didnt like, and its hard to steal bases if you're never on. April was smoke and mirrors, the sooner we realize it, the sooner the sox can trade him while he still appears to be somewhat valuable. Uribe is the Sox 2B hands down. He's better defensively, he's a better hitter, he's got more power, he hits the ball out of the infield. What is there to discuss?

Frater Perdurabo
07-17-2004, 02:55 PM
Platoon Uribe and Harris at 2B and in the #9 hole. Trade for Finley or Kendall or a similar player to lead off.

JRIG
07-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Its not difficult, because Harris is no good. The man has never seen a softground out he didnt like, and its hard to steal bases if you're never on. April was smoke and mirrors, the sooner we realize it, the sooner the sox can trade him while he still appears to be somewhat valuable. Uribe is the Sox 2B hands down. He's better defensively, he's a better hitter, he's got more power, he hits the ball out of the infield. What is there to discuss?
It wasn't April. His OPS was about .650 that month. It was .550 in June and like .450 this month. May was his career pinnacle.

LauraJ14
07-17-2004, 06:25 PM
Well Juan Uribe is hitting like .100 for the month of July and swinging at every pitch up thrown up there. I would like to see Willie at 2nd and Rowand in center, Uribe coming off the bench to spell Crede and Valentin for now.

owensmouth
07-17-2004, 06:28 PM
Have Ben Davis play second

Malgar 12
07-17-2004, 06:44 PM
It wasn't April. His OPS was about .650 that month. It was .550 in June and like .450 this month. May was his career pinnacle.
Willie
.182 in June
.167 in July
1 extra base hit since May
no RBI's since May
2 SB since May

Career Batting avg .236 with 20 extra base hits in over 550 ab's

Uribe
5 hrs 21 rbi's since May
better defensively
.262 career avg.
actually a threat to hit the ball out of the infield.

Wee willie is quite possibley the worts hitting non-pitcher I've ever seen.
Pinch Runner or nothing.
Even with Uribe's lower avg in July there is no comparison.

mealfred13
07-17-2004, 06:51 PM
Purely from a defensive standpoint, I'd rather see Uribe out there any day. He's got sure hands and turns double plays WAY faster than I've ever see Willie do it. Just the other day, Willie was slow on a throw to first which would have definately been a DP if Uribe was in there. That missed out led to a run.

Defensively: Uribe

As far as offense, Uribe's career numbers are pretty good, and he's already having a career year in homeruns and average so far. He may not be batting as well as he did early on, but that's nothing a little time in the cages with Walker won't fix. Not to mention, Willie doesn't hit homeruns while Uribe does. A homerun is better than a flyout any day, even if it comes every 30 at bats.

Offensively: Uribe

JRIG
07-17-2004, 06:53 PM
Willie
.182 in June
.167 in July
1 extra base hit since May
no RBI's since May
2 SB since May

Career Batting avg .236 with 20 extra base hits in over 550 ab's

Uribe
5 hrs 21 rbi's since May
better defensively
.262 career avg.
actually a threat to hit the ball out of the infield.

Wee willie is quite possibley the worts hitting non-pitcher I've ever seen.
Pinch Runner or nothing.
Even with Uribe's lower avg in July there is no comparison.
Thanks for the numbers. I was feeling a bit lazy today.

DickAllen72
07-17-2004, 07:01 PM
I think Harris is the better choice of the two to start at 2B, but to settle this whole debate......

Trade Willie Harris for a good catcher or pitcher, pick up Robbie Alomar to start at 2B, and let Uribe be the super utility infielder he was supposed to be.

fquaye149
07-17-2004, 07:53 PM
you guys are insane. robbie? as if he's any better offensively.

willie is not a horrible player, he's not a great player. anyone who says differently on either count is irrational.

i'd play him over uribe because he can move on the bases better. their hitting is comparable

Aidan
07-17-2004, 07:57 PM
you guys are insane. robbie? as if he's any better offensively.

willie is not a horrible player, he's not a great player. anyone who says differently on either count is irrational.

i'd play him over uribe because he can move on the bases better. their hitting is comparableI agree with Willie being better on the basepads but saying Willie and Uribe's hitting is comparable is definately irrational. Uribe has way more pop in his bat than Willie. The problem is that he is trying to swing for the fences every at bat. That said, I wouldn't mind Robbie Alomar at 2B and as our leadoff man again.

Nellie_Fox
07-18-2004, 01:31 AM
I agree with Willie being better on the basepads but saying Willie and Uribe's hitting is comparable is definately irrational. Uribe has way more pop in his bat than Willie. The problem is that he is trying to swing for the fences every at bat. Basepads?

Uribe was a flash-in-the-pan. He is screwing himself into the ground trying to pull everything. I will first admit that I don't get to see nearly the amount of games that most of you do, but I don't see Uribe as a defensive improvement over Harris.

starboy0
07-18-2004, 10:48 AM
I don't think Willie has been given enough time to develop. There was a stretch when he was playing everyday that he was getting on and we were winning exciting games. I was at the Anaheim game the Thursday before the All Star game when Timo hit the bases clearing single and Willie scored from 1st. I want to see this guy given a fair chance.

Evman5
07-19-2004, 11:18 PM
Just firing up the Wee WIllie Bandwagon if anybody wants to hop on.:dtroll: :dtroll: :dtroll:

mdep524
07-19-2004, 11:47 PM
Uribe is much better than Willie defensively- although Willie's D is adequate and wouldn't matter if he could hit. But Willie just cannot hit.

His problems at the plate:
-He has no ability to foul off tough pitches, so he's an automatic out if he's behind in the count
-He takes WAY too many get-me-over fastballs right down the middle, so if he's ahead in the count he automatically lets the pitcher catch up
-He wastes a lot of strikes on those terrible fake bunts- when he's not a good bunter anyway
-He has NO confidence on the basepaths, so even in the rare event he gets on he has no ability to steal.

If he works on that stuff, then MAYBE he could be an everyday 2B. For now, is there anyway we can get Tony G. back? :(:

CWSGuy406
07-20-2004, 12:11 AM
Uribe is much better than Willie defensively- although Willie's D is adequate and wouldn't matter if he could hit. But Willie just cannot hit.

His problems at the plate:
-He has no ability to foul off tough pitches, so he's an automatic out if he's behind in the count
-He takes WAY too many get-me-over fastballs right down the middle, so if he's ahead in the count he automatically lets the pitcher catch up
-He wastes a lot of strikes on those terrible fake bunts- when he's not a good bunter anyway
-He has NO confidence on the basepaths, so even in the rare event he gets on he has no ability to steal.

If he works on that stuff, then MAYBE he could be an everyday 2B. For now, is there anyway we can get Tony G. back? :(:
Hmm - I disagree on your first point, I think he does have a good ability to fould off pitches. He also can draw the walk and take a lot of pitches, which is exactly what you want from your leadoff man.

Second point - if he were swinging at those pitches, people would ride him for not taking enough pitches. While I agree that in every AB, you can't let that first pitch fastball go right down the middle, you want to see more pitches froma pitcher, so you don't swing at that pitch. Can't have it both ways...

With Willie, it's all about confidence. If he's playing on a daily basis, or at least regularly vs. righties, he will get the job done for us. And once he's confident with his leadoff move (stealing bases), he's going to be a real, real threat...