PDA

View Full Version : What I dont get....

32nd&Wallace
07-17-2004, 09:47 AM
Okay, with all the statisticians and savants, why can no one put SOME reason on why this team is so bad in Oakland...time change, stadium, SOMETHING....At least something ANECDOTAL..You think these players after three years would pinpoint the reason....anyone else who has a theory be my guess right now Im going to go with the fact that there just a ****ty team

harwar
07-17-2004, 10:05 AM
I think they may be going out to the clubs:drunken: in frisco right over the bridge.
They always seem to be so tired when they play in the bay area.
Maybe you need to do what they used to do, have a curfue and bed check.
Hey it worked for my teenage daughter.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-17-2004, 10:07 AM
I'm guessing the Athletics match up with us quite well. Their hitters work the count and hit mistakes. Their pitchers know how to bring out the worst in our anxious hitters.

Toss in a few defacto forfeitures by the manager, like Manuel starting Julio Ramirez, Royce Clayton, and Mark Johnson in a game, or putting Jim Parque in to get shelled in another, and PRESTO! You've got a bunch of Sox Fans and sportswriters writing pscyho-babble about our problems in Oakland.

:jerry
"I'm going to out-defense the other team and win this game 0 to -1."

:jerry
"Parque wants to start? I'll just leave him out there and humiliate the entire team. I smell another long, fat losing streak brewing!"

DrCrawdad
07-17-2004, 10:10 AM
Okay, with all the statisticians and savants, why can no one put SOME reason on why this team is so bad in Oakland...time change, stadium, SOMETHING....At least something ANECDOTAL..You think these players after three years would pinpoint the reason....anyone else who has a theory be my guess right now Im going to go with the fact that there just a ****ty team

Time to change hotels. Make them stay at a low-budget, napping rate, motel until they start winning in Oakland.

I was talking to my bro-in-law this morning who lives in western Michigan. My bro-in-law said that the Tigers fell so hard in the past few years that no Grand Rapids radio stations carry their broadcasts. Anyway, with the Sox having 19 games remaining with the Tigers, the Sox season may end with the Tigers (again). And I also told the bro-in-law that I think the Sox are a fecal-matter team.

soxtalker
07-17-2004, 10:44 AM
I'm guessing the Athletics match up with us quite well. Their hitters work the count and hit mistakes. Their pitchers know how to bring out the worst in our anxious hitters.

I think that this is along the right track. The A's tend to field solid teams, though they aren't particularly spectacular or flashy. IIRC from Moneyball, that's the way Beane builds them at every stage of his system. They should be tough to play all the time. On the positive side, we probably learn about our weaknesses when we play them. 10-run games are fun to watch, and they may build self confidence. But they are probably not very good practice for the play offs.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-17-2004, 10:46 AM
maybe there are california girls in the stands. mayber they're california dreamin (of californication)

vegyrex
07-17-2004, 11:02 AM
I think they may be going out to the clubs:drunken: in frisco right over the bridge.
They always seem to be so tired when they play in the bay area.
Maybe you need to do what they used to do, have a curfue and bed check.
Hey it worked for my teenage daughter. I think you're right. This is ridiculous. Even if Oakland matches up real good against us, that still doesn't excuse the Sox 1-15 record there. :mad:

Blueprint1
07-17-2004, 11:19 AM
How about your second baseman missing an easy inning ending popup that leads to 4 runs. Yes this really did happen in Oakland.

guillen4life13
07-17-2004, 11:21 AM
I think it's a combination of things, possibly.

The Coliseum has so much playable foul territory which really helps to quiet the bats. It's the opposite of the Cell.

I'm sure the wind there is much more harsh as it's right by the bay. Harder to hit homers, which is what this team is mainly relied upon to do.

Oakland's pitching staff is stellar (seriously, we aren't facing Gil Heredia anymore over there).

The time difference (they have trouble all over the west coast).

Partying?

The Oakland team has a way of exposing the weaknesses of the Sox.

Oh yeah, by the way, Yoda, I like the pic in your signature. Great movie.

JB98
07-17-2004, 12:45 PM
To me, it's simple: Oakland is a pitching-dominant team playing in a stadium that is pitchers' paradise. We are an offensive team that can't win low-scoring games. It's a recipe for disaster. I've already written the next two games off as losses. I lose all faith in the Sox when they go on the West coast. Unless Freddy throws a shutout today, we're toast.

bigfoot
07-17-2004, 12:58 PM
To me, it's simple: Oakland is a pitching-dominant team playing in a stadium that is pitchers' paradise. We are an offensive team that can't win low-scoring games. It's a recipe for disaster. I've already written the next two games off as losses. I lose all faith in the Sox when they go on the West coast. Unless Freddy throws a shutout today, we're toast.
Day games in the Bay area are much different than night. The ball carries much better in the day. Night games, remember April in Comiskey? Just about the same. Cold and breezy. Even in July! Take a jacket if you go.

soxwon
07-17-2004, 01:02 PM
any one know OTHER team records in Oakland?
maybe therwe are other teams with the same problem

nasox
07-17-2004, 01:17 PM
Anecdotal, eh? You must be listening to Silvy and carmen and want free sox tickets really badly. :tongue:

32nd&Wallace
07-17-2004, 01:22 PM
Anecdotal, eh? You must be listening to Silvy and carmen and want free sox tickets really badly. :tongue: What????:?:

JRIG
07-17-2004, 02:04 PM
I'm amused by the fact Hawk can't help himself from ripping on Billy Beane virtually every game. Gems like:

:hawk
"You know, you get great pitching like Oakland has, you can play this game any way you want."

and

"You take away those three 20-game winners and that team wouldn't be anywhere."

Then he has to talk about the fact the Sox have lost, what, 14 of the last 15 out there.

duke of dorwood
07-17-2004, 02:17 PM
The Core of this team, Thomas, Maggs, Valentin, Konerko, Buehrle, Lee, have been thru all these losses.

They have shown they cannot overcome bad play there.

Mohoney
07-17-2004, 02:57 PM
I'm amused by the fact Hawk can't help himself from ripping on Billy Beane virtually every game. Gems like:

:hawk

"You take away those three 20-game winners and that team wouldn't be anywhere."

That's the one I like. Firmly in the "duh" category, don't you think?

If I gave ANY team 3 bona fide 20-game winners to build around, and then took them away, of course that team would suffer.

BigEdWalsh
07-17-2004, 03:02 PM
I think there's more to this than meats the eye. I suspect witchcraft is involved in this matter. There can be no other explanation for the Sox horrible west coast play. It ain't just Oakland. A curse has been put on the White Sox!! :redneck